PDA

View Full Version : Ethic Question about road hunters VS real hunters

Ocender
11-11-2021, 08:29 AM
So....if you see a guy hunting in a zone walking and glassing as if he were on a stalk....would you

A-drive up to him and ask him stupid questions and then discover he has an LEH tag and he thinks he found game and after a brief explanation, you decided to drive past him into a dead end cutblock road the said guy is working and obviously you spooked the game as,well, you're a road hunter in a gated and locked out zone that very few people have access to with the exception of a few people including the "local nation"...or do you..

B....stop,watch and perhaps leave the area as quietly as possible

I know my answer but I have to say,I found myself very disappointed this season with hunters and for those on quads with pipes,wtf are you thinking,I can hear you several kms away,even a quiet machine but wtf are you doing with a piped machine road hunting....gawd...road hunters,damn....and you think you're going to kill a deer like that?.....rant over...but my question is the same.....what would you do and what is proper eticate?

hawk-i
11-11-2021, 08:41 AM
That road hunter might have a physical disability that prevents him/her from being a "REAL" hunter.

Downwindtracker2
11-11-2021, 08:46 AM
My answer is "Let me take a 1" steel bar to your knees, then lets see how much "real" hunting you do."

HappyJack
11-11-2021, 08:49 AM
Public land, it's what you have to suffer through. MOST fellows in that situation will quietly leave the scene, unless of course they don't know the road doesn't go much farther. You never mentioned how far the road went but we assume it was less than 500 yards?

Pipes....can't figure that one out, they just like noise?

bcsteve
11-11-2021, 08:53 AM
Does the quad hunter know that it's a shorter dead end road and not a several Kms road? And what is a "real hunter" doing hunting on a road?

Gun Dog
11-11-2021, 08:57 AM
Even unmodified ATVs are loud. With an engine module and a less restrictive exhaust you can double the HP of many ATVs.

Ride Red
11-11-2021, 09:10 AM
So....if you see a guy hunting in a zone walking and glassing as if he were on a stalk....would you

A-drive up to him and ask him stupid questions and then discover he has an LEH tag and he thinks he found game and after a brief explanation, you decided to drive past him into a dead end cutblock road the said guy is working and obviously you spooked the game as,well, you're a road hunter in a gated and locked out zone that very few people have access to with the exception of a few people including the "local nation"...or do you..

I know my answer but I have to say,I found myself very disappointed this season with hunters and for those on quads with pipes,wtf are you thinking,I can hear you several kms away,even a quiet machine but wtf are you doing with a piped machine road hunting....gawd...road hunters,damn....and you think you're going to kill a deer like that?.....rant over...but my question is the same.....what would you do and what is proper eticate?

How about get off your high horse and understand that public land is for everyone. Maybe they didn’t know the road ended. Maybe they have a disability that prevents them from walking. Maybe they don’t read minds either. If you want to avoid this problem, get back in the mountains where there aren’t roads, but remember that other hunters might be there too. Question; How long have you been hunting?

Ocender
11-11-2021, 09:16 AM
That road hunter might have a physical disability that prevents him/her from being a "REAL" hunter....I totally get that,age,disability...I understand fully so I will apologize for that,statement, but I think that that particular hunter woukd act very differently that the other type....imo

Ocender
11-11-2021, 09:18 AM
How about get off your high horse and understand that public land is for everyone. Maybe they didn’t know the road ended. Maybe they have a disability that prevents them from walking. Maybe they don’t read minds either. If you want to avoid this problem, get back in the mountains where there aren’t roads, but remember that other hunters might be there too. Question; How long have you been hunting?
Well..ok...however as I stated initially, they saw me,drove up to me,we spoke about my intention and they drove past me....and it's actually not public land,privately owned island land with limited access to key holders....

Gateholio
11-11-2021, 09:19 AM
If there I am walking into a dead end road that ends shortly (like a km or less) it would be nice if motorized hunters would back off if terrain allows for them to turn around. If it's a longer stretch of road it's not reasonable to ask people to stay out. Ultimately it's public land though.

Road hunting is road hunting. If you are walking down a road you are a road hunter. So really you are asking if road hunters on foot should be given more consideration than motorized road hunters.

Ocender
11-11-2021, 09:21 AM
Well..ok...however as I stated initially, they saw me,drove up to me,we spoke about my intention and they drove past me....and it's actually not public land,privately owned island land with limited access to key holders....
Perhaps sir, you should read the entire post,as it states the communication....also,nit sure what difference it makes my experience, but if you must know, around 40 years....guided for 12,mentored for as many and I guess if I see a guy in a zine hunting,it seems to me,it ought to be left to him,buy that's just me....high horse dismounted..

Ride Red
11-11-2021, 09:24 AM
Perhaps sir, you should read the entire post,as it states the communication....also,nit sure what difference it makes my experience, but if you must know, around 40 years....guided for 12,mentored for as many and I guess if I see a guy in a zine hunting,it seems to me,it ought to be left to him,buy that's just me....high horse dismounted..

If it’s private land by only key holders, how’d they get in? Did they have a key? If so, they should have the same rights as you, no?

Imdone
11-11-2021, 09:36 AM
If your walking a road, any road, dead end of not, expect company. If it's public land, to bad, your choice of hunting a potential busy place. If it's a private road, gate or land, and you have company, doesn't sound so private.

Now if your walking along said road, and a vehicle of any kind comes up on you, have a calm respectful conversation, maybe they will turn around, maybe not, just remember your on a road, and don't own the place.

Recommendations, get off any beat on path, even a hundred yards or more, is better than a road, unless you like company and competition.

S.W.A.T.
11-11-2021, 09:39 AM
A real hunter would has chosen his op a little more carefully.

Bustercluck
11-11-2021, 09:57 AM
Just my opinion but if you’re not a road hunter than get off the road. Leave the road for the road hunters and head off into the bush. I’m actually in favour of closing heavily hunted areas to vehicle traffic to take some pressure off the game. It just sucks that not everybody has to follow those rules

I will share a story from last year though.

My party went down a road and parked our quads in the tree section before the area opened up before daylight. We walked the road so we were the only set of footprints past our quad and it would be quite obvious to see where our footprints ended and we left the road to walk down to a pond. We got to the pond and started calling for moose before the sun came up. At roughly 9am this other re-tard drove by our quads, we watched them drive around the other side of the pond and starts calling from the road about 500 yards away. I let out a couple of cow calls and they started getting excited that they had something on the go and I could see his partner circling down the road around us. Keep in mind I could see both of them the whole time and they have no idea I’m there. As they started circling I thought it was in my best interest to stand up and start walking out before I got shot. I got a bit ignorant with them, but it didn’t ruin my hunt

tyreguy
11-11-2021, 10:01 AM
This seems like a troll thread, started to incite the masses by pitting one group against the other within the hunting community. Not going to bite.
New member of ignore list.

quadrakid
11-11-2021, 10:13 AM
Rod hunting is awesome ,it keeps 90 per cent of the hunters out of the bush where the game is.

Pioneerman
11-11-2021, 10:24 AM

Got to say this really pisses me off with the ignorant comment and the way you word this like you think you are better hunter walking a road rather than someone in a truck or quad driving slowly. I have had both knees replaced and both hips replaced and a spine operation due to extensive Arthritis. But I can promise you I did a lot more hiking up and down mountains when there was no roads for you to take a stroll along . Arrogant attitude you have is ridiculous about who is a hunter and who isn't. If I DROVE or RODE up and see a person on a dead end road walking I would let them be, but if I seen someone doing this knowing the road either makes it through to another area or goes on for 10 km through a valley then I am going through, and will respect that hunter, but you do not get to claim ALL public land because you think walking a road makes you a " Real Hunter " Growing up hunting I would see much older retired guys successfully get very decent deer every season by lowly road hunting. They were slow and constantly glassing, and knew when and where to go, too bad they were not really hunters walking a public road like you.

mod7rem
11-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Realistically, anything goes because there are no agreed upon rules of Hunter etiquette. Everybody has there own idea of what that is.
Last year a truck full of guys got pissed at me because I was passing them on a logging road 1st thing in the morning. I was heading for a specific spot to park the truck and disappear into the bush for the day. The road system goes for many km’s and has roads off of it. These guys thought it was their right to drive that road system slowly with out anyone passing them, because they got there first. That’s their Hunter etiquette.
I’ve seen others put their camp across the road that access an area with many km’s of roads and they think anyone trying to go around it is breaking Hunter etiquette because it’s obvious their group is hunting there.

There is no agreed upon “Hunter etiquette” so the only thing to do is accept that we are all trying to use the same resource, and your plans for use may not work out. It becomes a competition. Best to calmly communicate with other hunters and try to work it out.

Salty
11-11-2021, 10:39 AM
Slightly off topic, but I've got this great cammo onsie zip up suit that's so damn comfortable for road hunting, but its getting worn out and i'd like to go with something that sheds the dorito crumbs better. Still looking for that sleep wear type comfort, but improved from my old worn out fleece any ideas? Also, tech tip, I've recently found my spotting scope works a lot better now that I've rain guarded my windshield. Real game changer.

notyalc
11-11-2021, 10:40 AM
I road hunt on a quad and “real hunt”. But every year I end up getting a deer and bear while I’m on my quad.

Aaron600
11-11-2021, 11:08 AM
Most road hunters out hunt me every year. Alpine hunting doesn't cover a ton of ground

Ocender
11-11-2021, 11:17 AM
If your walking a road, any road, dead end of not, expect company. If it's public land, to bad, your choice of hunting a potential busy place. If it's a private road, gate or land, and you have company, doesn't sound so private.

Now if your walking along said road, and a vehicle of any kind comes up on you, have a calm respectful conversation, maybe they will turn around, maybe not, just remember your on a road, and don't own the place.

Recommendations, get off any beat on path, even a hundred yards or more, is better than a road, unless you like company and competition.

Well stated,and I'm always respectful, and this situation was no different...I reported to the guys that I was on a stalk with an leh bull tag,there was game in front of me and I was trying to get a view....and road is a bit of an understatement, as it was a full grown in alder bash,but a vehicle could get through if your paint job doesn't matter,it's not a main road but really a skidder trail....but after I told my story, they just sifted by unphased,then 5 minutes after,they came back ...of course....so,as we all attempt, I hope, to hunt respectfully,I am simply wondering what the masses consider fair game....I think I'm getting the picture.

boxhitch
11-11-2021, 11:49 AM
Sounds like they figured a passing vehicle wasn't going to mess up your hunt, and in leaving would lessen any tension on the critters they may have created
Hunt on

MichelD
11-11-2021, 12:01 PM

Pretty much it.

There is a spot I usually go to on opening day in Region 2 where I've got a couple deer and a bear at a small landing at the end of a short otherwise dead-end road. It's a bit of a game trail. Seen moose on the very same spot too.

One time a pickup came up behind me as i walked up just before sunrise and turned around. Last year, some guys in a side-by-side just scooted by me in the dark as if I wasn't there.

It's a road, and I don't own it, so I can't really complain can I? I went off-road after that and didn't hear any shots so they didn't out-do me opening morning there anyway.

But you know what? The last three deer I have got have been on well-used deer trails 200 yards off busy roads within earshot of the quads and trucks going by.

mod7rem
11-11-2021, 12:10 PM
Well stated,and I'm always respectful, and this situation was no different...I reported to the guys that I was on a stalk with an leh bull tag,there was game in front of me and I was trying to get a view....and road is a bit of an understatement, as it was a full grown in alder bash,but a vehicle could get through if your paint job doesn't matter,it's not a main road but really a skidder trail....but after I told my story, they just sifted by unphased,then 5 minutes after,they came back ...of course....so,as we all attempt, I hope, to hunt respectfully,I am simply wondering what the masses consider fair game....I think I'm getting the picture.

Well with that information, then they were definitely being dicks.

Salty
11-11-2021, 12:17 PM
Loose the terminology. Loose the judgement. People who hunt out of their vehicles have every right to do so and you hunting on foot are no more "ethical" than anyone else. You both have a right to be there. And you both have the right to be dicks about it so don't be surprised if that happens. The best way to avoid similar conflict is to stay off of roads if not be ready to run in to all manner of people; polite, assholes or otherwise its no different than walking down a street in town. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Avalanche123
11-11-2021, 12:43 PM
Not much would surprise me in this day and age of entitlement.....it's a "road"....best to avoid them even if partially grown in if you don't want unexpected company. IMO

cameron0518
11-11-2021, 01:10 PM
I understand where the OP is coming from to some degree but the way it was written breathed nothing but arrogance which makes it just as bad as the person he was so choked at. Society has changed, the new generation doesn't care if your feelings are hurt. The amount of rude hunters has increased 10 fold over the last few years. There is a reason why the lower mainland hunters are dreaded in so many areas. Obviously not all are bad but chances are, from my experiences, they reside in the same general area.

Wentrot
11-11-2021, 01:29 PM
Hunt the roads on foot or vehicle and best be ready for this sort of thing….stop comparing types of hunters though, it just further divides us. It’s the same shit every time. Walking roads doesn’t make you any more of a “real” hunter than someone driving those same roads. Sounds like you are both dinks.

Deer_Slayer
11-11-2021, 01:40 PM
Pretty ignorant post. "Real Hunter"? Obviously you used the road to get to that spot you may think belongs to you. Many hunters road hunt and there is nothing wrong with that and guess what..yes they get their deer every year. Maybe you should go to Europe and pay to hunt in exclusive territory?

Island Idiots
11-11-2021, 01:42 PM
Our. Biggest issue and the reason we will fail in our fight against the anti hunting lobby is we can’t just accept each other. Hunter VS Hunter is a scourge of our own making.
It’s time to be as one regardless of our differences.

Deer_Slayer
11-11-2021, 01:43 PM
Your comment is ignorant too. Lower mainland hunters are just as adept and worthy of hunting the interior as you locals. I lived in Kootenays for many years and met more dickhead locals out hunting than the lower mainland guys who always stopped and chatted and were friendly fellow hunters!

Hunter gatherer
11-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Vehicles on roads or people on roads don't bother me at all. I use them as game putter uppers lol. They usually get the games attention and sometimes the game is oblivious to my ninja stealth sneakiness. All in fun , there are no roads where I hunt.

HarryToolips
11-11-2021, 01:51 PM
All hunters who ethically hunt and educate themselves and follow the hunting regs properly are real hunters, regardless of method..

MichelD
11-11-2021, 01:58 PM
Your comment is ignorant too. Lower mainland hunters are just as adept and worthy of hunting the interior as you locals. I lived in Kootenays for many years and met more dickhead locals out hunting than the lower mainland guys who always stopped and chatted and were friendly fellow hunters!

Yes, this whole "Beyond Hope" arrogance gets a little tiresome some times as if it is required that you live several hundred kilometres away from the 604 zone to have any bush sense, know how to drive a gravel road, have any ethics or even know how to put a stovepipe in a wall tent.

geo guy
11-11-2021, 02:04 PM
If its a road in an area that doesn't have a motor vehicle restriction they have every right to be there as much as you do. As long as they arent doing anything to intentionally disrupt your hunt or travel.

If you don't like that go hunt somewhere with closed roads or no roads.

westcoaster
11-11-2021, 05:18 PM
It's pretty easy to make assumptions about the other guy when all you are left with is a 15 minute snapshot out of 9? hours of daylight...

in my 15 minute interaction, I saw him driving so he must only be an ignorant road hunter...

I'm sure you were a road hunter up to the point you parked your truck. Perhaps you were a road hunter after you got back to your truck and were traveling to the next hike.
Perhaps you were a road hunter as you were scouting out new areas to hike.

There are as many different reasons to be hunting in a vehicle as there are hunters in BC.

I think the only time you would have a valid "claim" to a road is when there is a barrier preventing "normal" travel IE: a culvert/bridge was dug out making passage by quad/vehicle difficult, where there wasn't an established bypass to the deactivation, and you were parked at the deactivation indicating you were hunting the area.
If someone were to bang their quad past your truck and through the deactivation at that point, rant on!

sthdslayer
11-11-2021, 05:54 PM
It pleases my heart to see people banding together to respect each others right to hunt in a legal manner my first thought when I read the post was troll

browningboy
11-11-2021, 07:17 PM
I hunt all styles so who cares

IslandWanderer
11-11-2021, 07:49 PM
We both road hunt and walk roads/trails. We like it when people drive by, and we usually chat about what we've seen and where the road goes etc. Trucks always seem to be quietly driving along, but most of the atvs we see seem to ride by too quickly. I'm not sure how they can really look into the timber they're racing by.

emerson
11-11-2021, 08:30 PM
If you are on the road, well, does that not make you a road hunter? Aside from vehicle and atv restrictions, an unreasonable expectation to not see vehicles on a road.

Downwindtracker2
11-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Quads have much better all around vision, but don't idle down all that well.

maniik
11-11-2021, 08:50 PM
I agree with the op. 100%. Laughed my ass off with all the responses ‘defending’ why they would drive right on by a fellow hunting an area on foot. Was this a trigger to your precious ego? Was it calling you out? I think so…. Perhaps we should have a think about why this triggered you. How about the very core ethics of being a hunter? Is this what ‘hunting’ is these days? Driving around in your truck, atv or side by side just to step out and shoot an animal? Did that feel(s) good when you eat that meat, look at the antlers and say yep I’m a hunter! �� cause if it does I’m really sorry. These beautiful creatures deserve so much more, respect what is and how precious, wonderful they really are. When did it ever become this? Killing, entitlement? Whatever happened to just being out there (on foot) enjoying, smelling, listening, feeling the wind, working the wind to where you perceive the game to be or have seen? Ohhhhh wait I think that’s actually what HUNTING is all about!! If you’re looking for reasons to defend why you have more of a right to drive through said area I question you sir about your moral ethics. After all he’s he’s going the extra mile to to enjoy the very precious gift of nature and his senses to live this wonderful gift he’s been given! Kudos to you I will always quietly turn around and let you be in your moment. After all why not just crack another beer and find another road to go and shoot up some signs because you haven’t seen anything. First world issues, Or moral fiber? Hmmmm. Perhaps we should have a deep look at ourselves and ask some real questions…..

Ocender
11-11-2021, 08:50 PM
Well,it appears as though the point was missed or rather ignored by most and furthermore, it is used as an opportunity to simply defend your own style of hunting.I can understand my mistake in the original post and I should apologize as I didn't mean to ,but did offend many people ,that's not my intention....either way,I do see that the question of ethics is ignored.I know,that if a guy told me that he was on a stalk, leh or not ,I'd offer assistance before shitting on his parade...as I stated originally, we had a discussion, a friendly one regarding my situation and intention, that was ignored and they continued up the alder bash skidder trail for like 500 meters..so ok....I guess that's how it is.In an enormous zone with multiple options,I should and did turn a blind eye to somebody's ignorance and selfishness while blowing an opportunity for another hunter,they could go cruiseanother actualroad,but my bad for being there....so while some of you preach about standing together, then claim it's a free for all, then the ethics of our sport is most definitely in question because in my opinion, that's a dirty,shitty deal to do to somebody, of which, I would never do...anyway...no biggie, I shot my leh elk two days later,it's just simply a way to gauge the masses,I think I did, so I'l plan more strategically in the future...game on.

I usually do hunt a long ways from the crowds,but my draw kind of limited me so I am not all that familiar with "crowd sharing " zones with guys bashing around on skidded trails but I am now considered educated.

Wentrot
11-11-2021, 08:53 PM
Well,it appears as though the point was missed or rather ignored by most and furthermore, it is an opportunity to simply defend your own style of hunting.I can understand my.mistake in the original post and I should apologize as I didn't mean to but did offend many people not my intention....either way,I do see that the question of ethics is ignored.I know,that I'd a guy told me that he was on a stalk leh or not I'd offer assistance before shutting on his parade...as I stated originally, we had a discussion, a friendly one regarding my situation and intention, that was ignored and they continued up the alder bash skidded trail...so ok....I guess that's how it is.In an enormous zone with multiple options,I should and did turn a blind eye to somebody's ignorance and selfishness while blowing an opportunity for another hunter....so while some of you preach about handing together, then claim it's a free for all, then the ethics of our sport is most definitely in question because in my opinion, that's a dirty,dhitty deal to do to somebody, of which, I would never do...anyway...no biggie, I shit my leh elk two days later,it's just simply a way to gauge the masses...I think I did....game on.

you type in the same drunken manor as the fellow with one post.

eatram
11-11-2021, 08:56 PM
No offence Ocender but you remind me of the drunk guy in the bar who wants to fight his friends. It's ok.... we are all friends..... So, post a story and some pictures so that we know that you aren't here just to drink our beer...

IslandWanderer
11-11-2021, 09:00 PM
I agree with the op. 100%. Laughed my ass off with all the responses ‘defending’ why they would drive right on by a fellow hunting an area on foot. Was this a trigger to your precious ego? Was it calling you out? I think so…. Perhaps we should have a think about why this triggered you. How about the very core ethics of being a hunter? Is this what ‘hunting’ is these days? Driving around in your truck, atv or side by side just to step out and shoot an animal? Did that feel(s) good when you eat that meat, look at the antlers and say yep I’m a hunter! �� cause if it does I’m really sorry. These beautiful creatures deserve so much more, respect what is and how precious, wonderful they really are. When did it ever become this? Killing, entitlement? Whatever happened to just being out there (on foot) enjoying, smelling, listening, feeling the wind, working the wind to where you perceive the game to be or have seen? Ohhhhh wait I think that’s actually what HUNTING is all about!! If you’re looking for reasons to defend why you have more of a right to drive through said area I question you sir about your moral ethics. After all he’s he’s going the extra mile to to enjoy the very precious gift of nature and his senses to live this wonderful gift he’s been given! Kudos to you I will always quietly turn around and let you be in your moment. After all why not just crack another beer and find another road to go and shoot up some signs because you haven’t seen anything. First world issues, Or moral fiber? Hmmmm. Perhaps we should have a deep look at ourselves and ask some real questions…..

I think I lost a few IQ points trying to read your post.

Ocender
11-11-2021, 09:16 PM
No offence Ocender but you remind me of the drunk guy in the bar who wants to fight his friends. It's ok.... we are all friends..... So, post a story and some pictures so that we know that you aren't here just to drink our beer...

I don't hunt for notoriety or pictures....no need to post anything,and I can buy my own beer....and I don't think everyone on here are friends friend....ethics separate us all....the kill isn't the point but how we conduct ourselves is...this post is about a microcosm of the hunter society and how I see it and frankly, in large part why we have poor optics in the general public and my point was easily made...so be it....carry on y'all .

Redthies
11-11-2021, 09:40 PM
After reading all the five pages of this, I feel like the OP has a legitimate gripe. BUT, I also see the point of others that if you are on any kind of surface that a quad can be on, don’t be surprised to see one. We were watching a game trail that ran down a really tight gully this past weekend. The other side of the gully had what looked like a creek bed. Well, it turns out it was used by jeeps. A group of five drove by, and the first dude apologized for making noise, second guy said “oh damn, your camo is GOOD! I didn’t see you until I was right beside you” etc etc. Did I cringe? Yup. Did I wish they weren’t there? Yup. But they carried on, and I spent the next couple of hours waiting for a buck to walk down that trail. I look at other hunters (especially motorized ones) as a help because they often bump game off the roads towards where I am hunting in the thick stuff.

Back to the OPs situation, if a guy rides right up to me, and we discuss the fact that I am tracking an LEH animal in front of me, and then the guy just rides off in the direction I’m tracking, I am going to think the guy is a total ass clown too. And he is one.

MRP
11-11-2021, 10:22 PM
So as a “real hunter” you wouldn’t shoot a monster buck or moose if you seen one on the way in or out from your spot. Hahahaha, ya right!!

Ocender
11-11-2021, 10:37 PM
So as a “real hunter” you wouldn’t shoot a monster buck or moose if you seen one on the way in or out from your spot. Hahahaha, ya right!!

Irrelevant...what's your point?
To answer your question, no I wouldn't, because at that point my rifle is secured, locked,stored separately from my ammo because if I'm driving, I ain't huntin' Champ..

westcoaster
11-11-2021, 10:39 PM
Well,it appears as though the point was missed or rather ignored by most and furthermore, it is used as an opportunity to simply defend your own style of hunting.I can understand my mistake in the original post and I should apologize as I didn't mean to ,but did offend many people ,that's not my intention....either way,I do see that the question of ethics is ignored.I know,that if a guy told me that he was on a stalk, leh or not ,I'd offer assistance before shitting on his parade...as I stated originally, we had a discussion, a friendly one regarding my situation and intention, that was ignored and they continued up the alder bash skidder trail for like 500 meters..so ok....I guess that's how it is.In an enormous zone with multiple options,I should and did turn a blind eye to somebody's ignorance and selfishness while blowing an opportunity for another hunter,they could go cruiseanother actualroad,but my bad for being there....so while some of you preach about standing together, then claim it's a free for all, then the ethics of our sport is most definitely in question because in my opinion, that's a dirty,shitty deal to do to somebody, of which, I would never do...anyway...no biggie, I shot my leh elk two days later,it's just simply a way to gauge the masses,I think I did, so I'l plan more strategically in the future...game on.

I usually do hunt a long ways from the crowds,but my draw kind of limited me so I am not all that familiar with "crowd sharing " zones with guys bashing around on skidded trails but I am now considered educated.

Right, tight, brush covered trail. Was there a spot where you were standing the guy could have legitimately turned around?
You expecting him to back up?
I know I wind up traveling considerable distances looking for an appropriate spot to turn around at times. Would this have been a similar situation for this driver?

Modeltwelve
11-11-2021, 10:41 PM
What a shit show HBC has turned into.

Ocender
11-11-2021, 10:47 PM
Right, tight, brush covered trail. Was there a spot where you were standing the guy could have legitimately turned around?
You expecting him to back up?
I know I wind up traveling considerable distances looking for an appropriate spot to turn around at times. Would this have been a similar situation for this driver?

I expect very little to be honest,and less by the hour but the question is what,ethically, is sound judgment....or proper edicate...I know I've driven nearly as far backwards as i have forwards but that's another story all together.

Ocender
11-11-2021, 10:48 PM
What a shit show HBC has turned into.

How so,in what way?

BimmerBob
11-11-2021, 10:48 PM
Irrelevant...what's your point?
To answer your question, no I wouldn't, because at that point my rifle is secured, locked,stored separately from my ammo because if I'm driving, I ain't huntin' Champ..

If you are in hunting country being prepared is something to think about. Not sure why you feel you have to have ammo and firearms locked and stored separately while in a vehicle but you certainly can if you wish, regulations just stipulate that the firearm can not be loaded, no need for locking or separately.

Be well.../B

Ocender
11-11-2021, 10:58 PM
If you are in hunting country being prepared is something to think about. Not sure why you feel you have to have ammo and firearms locked and stored separately while in a vehicle but you certainly can if you wish, regulations just stipulate that the firearm can not be loaded, no need for locking or separately.

Be well.../B

Thank you, I understand that and I'll take it into consideration.

westcoaster
11-11-2021, 11:49 PM
I expect very little to be honest,and less by the hour but the question is what,ethically, is sound judgment....or proper edicate...I know I've driven nearly as far backwards as i have forwards but that's another story all together.

There is no one/proper answer to your question of what is proper etiquette to driving past someone on foot. I drove past a couple guys (together) on foot this year... I also turned around on a fellow walking down a road long before I got to him.
Situations and circumstances vary wildly.

The only thing you can control is yourself and your behavior in similar circumstances.
It is kind of like the "pay it forward" principal. Yes, you will have those that will take advantage, and those that will turn around and do in kind.

Fella
11-12-2021, 08:53 AM
I’ll tell ya what, if you go up to Clearwater the trophy bucks are as thick on the road as the snowshoe hares on an up year. You hardly even need to get out of your truck except to pull the trigger!

Bernie O
11-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Why is it always the other guy that is wrong? Maybe he was as pissed at you for being in [HIS?] area. I was under the impression on this site that if it is legal you are good to go. Anybody that obeys the rules and has a licence is a real hunter.

KodiakHntr
11-12-2021, 11:12 AM
To the OP, I don’t really see it as an ethical issue, but a case could be made for what the proper etiquette should be and a have a discussion around that.

If you are on a road that a horse/bicycle/atv/pickup can be on, don’t be surprised if someone moving faster than you catches up and wants to pass.

From an etiquette standpoint, some folks are going to turn around and leave you be, and some aren’t.

Ocender
11-12-2021, 03:01 PM
Why is it always the other guy that is wrong? Maybe he was as pissed at you for being in [HIS?] area. I was under the impression on this site that if it is legal you are good to go. Anybody that obeys the rules and has a licence is a real hunter.

I don't care he's there but if I'm on a,stalk,I tell him that and he's looking for a deer and I have an leh bull tag and they ignore that and drive on,I mean,ya ' whatever but I think it's pretty f'ed up...imo...just saying, it's pretty shitty thing to do,from my perspective but it appears that the majority thinks differently, which doesn't surprise me but....

hawk-i
11-12-2021, 03:37 PM
OK, so I have a blind set up at the end of the pipeline were it crosses a river. I get a late start to the day because of mechanical issues and on my way to the blind 2 guys are hiding behind some bush a mile or so from the blind I plan to sit in for the entire day.

Do I proceed to the blind and park my azz there as planned or do I concede my plans and go elsewhere?

True story, not going to say what I did...tell me what you would do?

bcsteve
11-12-2021, 03:44 PM
It depends, are you a real hunter?

Bubbacanuck
11-12-2021, 03:50 PM
OK, so I have a blind set up at the end of the pipeline were it crosses a river. I get a late start to the day because of mechanical issues and on my way to the blind 2 guys are hiding behind some bush a mile or so from the blind I plan to sit in for the entire day.

Do I proceed to the blind and park my azz there as planned or do I concede my plans and go elsewhere?

True story, not going to say what I did...tell me what you would do?

I would talk to the guys if I saw them and ask if they were cool if I carrier on. If not, I would bounce and come back another day; as I would not want to ruin their hunt and there are lots of areas to go to. Just what I would do...

11-12-2021, 04:49 PM

The problem is you put road hunters below Still hunters. Your post worded that as a slag to road hunters.
Had you have just told the story and not pit the two against each other than the reception im sure would have been far more to your liking....

Tight road, you stalking known game or not..... dude drives by you with no reason..... then back,, thats a dick move.

Deer_Slayer
11-12-2021, 05:51 PM
Many times I have been hunting on foot near a logging road and other hunters came along in a truck or atv. We chatted briefly had a chuckle, wished each other luck and carried on. Never have I felt pissed or angry. It's a big place BC. I know many guys got a deer shortly after another hunter drove by in a vehicle or atv.

hawk-i
11-12-2021, 06:15 PM
It depends, are you a real hunter?

LOL, depends on my mood! :)

MOWITCH SLAYER
11-13-2021, 07:47 AM
The definition Crown Land is land of the people ! If u expect to go onto crown land and be alone then u are going to be disappointed. Try going further back in . Or hunt during the week. but to think you have your own private spot is just silly..its crown land.. owned by the people

russm
11-13-2021, 10:54 AM
I've used a quad to get into an area and spent all day hiking and killed a buck 2km from the truck on my way back,would I not be considered a "real hunter"? Get ****ed, im so sick of whiners like you,everytime I look at the internet I see a post like this,what you didn't get anything this season because of people on quads or because they're in "your area" maybe you're the one that's not a "real hunter"

dapesche
11-13-2021, 05:53 PM
Does the quad hunter know that it's a shorter dead end road and not a several Kms road? And what is a "real hunter" doing hunting on a road?

Totally.

I'm a real hunter if I get out of a truck and walk a fsr into a cut block. Is that also 'backcountry' hunting?

Lillypuff
11-14-2021, 09:16 AM
Lol not a real hunter. I have been on many different hunts in life from fly in to horseback to road hunting. Some fond memories of all. Can’t believe we bitch about how someone else hunts. Have seen a lot of bucks from the truck��

S.W.A.T.
11-14-2021, 09:51 AM
Lol not a real hunter. I have been on many different hunts in life from fly in to horseback to road hunting. Some fond memories of all. Can’t believe we bitch about how someone else hunts. Have seen a lot of bucks from the truck��

It's because certain people feel your not a man or a real hunter if you haven't walked 1000 miles carrying a 40lbs pack and cover yourself in doe urine. And yet we are confused why ALL hunters are loosing our rights. Perhaps as mentioned before we are divided on every topic where the anti only have to come together on one topic.

tyreguy
11-14-2021, 10:34 AM
The thread is a troll to get us to bicker back and forth.
OP says was a guide and shot an elk this year but won’t post pictures.
Only want to partake in this site to bitch about other hunters.
don’t get sucked in.

the writing style is very reminiscent of Jassmine, and there was another one a couple of months back that last posted around the same time the OP joined.

horshur
11-14-2021, 10:34 AM

Stop walking roads and no road hunter will interupt you.. Or walk roads and live with the normal inevitable road hunter or wood cutter or dirt bike/atv rider. It is that simple.

browningboy
11-14-2021, 11:55 AM
Road hunting has its advantages, warm, good tunes and see a lot of country plus you may not see another vehicle? But on the other hand you won’t find the sign or animals sometimes that you would walking on game trails, but each their own. It really makes you no better of a hunter either way, both styles get game.

Ocender
11-14-2021, 03:26 PM
The thread is a troll to get us to bicker back and forth.
OP says was a guide and shot an elk this year but won’t post pictures.
Only want to partake in this site to bitch about other hunters.
don’t get sucked in.

the writing style is very reminiscent of Jassmine, and there was another one a couple of months back that last posted around the same time the OP joined.
Listen...hardly any of you guys even understood the question I made,the entire point I was making is completely lost on most of you....ya' ,I'm a troll...**** sakes you guys are daft.....I'm asking about the etiquette of road hunters when they come up on a guy on foot....they have a discussion about what's going on and they **** the guys opportunity....is that OK with you road hunters....is that how you operate....I give a shit how you hunt, except when it interferes with my hunt in an obnoxious way....so,you want to talk about division, that's pretty divisive, as are most of the dumbest comment's by most of the guys commenting....so,as I have already stated,it's no wonder the public perception is so dark when it comes to hunters,just read the comments and that's where your public relations campaign needs to begin....with etiquette that apparently has been left in the dust.....makes no difference to me,but you guys preach about being good stuards, when most are just assholes....I killed my elk and will continue to have success regardless.

HappyJack
11-14-2021, 03:34 PM
Listen...hardly any of you guys even understood the question I made,the entire point I was making is completely lost on most of you....ya' ,I'm a troll...**** sakes you guys are daft.....I'm asking about the etiquette of road hunters when they come up on a gut on foot....they have a discussion about what's going on and they **** the guys opportunity....is that OK with yiu road hunters....is that how you operate....I give a shit how you hunt, except when it interferes with my hunt in an obnoxious way....so,you want to talk about division, that's pretty divisive, as are most of the dumbest comment's by most of the guys commenting....so,as I have already stated,it's no wonder the public perception is so dark when it comes to hunters,just read the comments and that's where your public relations campaign needs to begin....with etiquette that apparently has been left in the dust.....makes no difference to me,but you guys preach about being good stuards, when most are just assholes....I killed my elk and will continue to have success regardless.

Fact is you blurred the points with your original post, so we can place the blame for any misunderstandings where it belongs...on you.

Ocender
11-14-2021, 03:37 PM
My answer is "Let me take a 1" steel bar to your knees, then lets see how much "real" hunting you do."

That's brilliant ****tard

tyreguy
11-14-2021, 05:14 PM
Go hug some trees.

Listen...hardly any of you guys even understood the question I made,the entire point I was making is completely lost on most of you....ya' ,I'm a troll...**** sakes you guys are daft.....I'm asking about the etiquette of road hunters when they come up on a guy on foot....they have a discussion about what's going on and they **** the guys opportunity....is that OK with you road hunters....is that how you operate....I give a shit how you hunt, except when it interferes with my hunt in an obnoxious way....so,you want to talk about division, that's pretty divisive, as are most of the dumbest comment's by most of the guys commenting....so,as I have already stated,it's no wonder the public perception is so dark when it comes to hunters,just read the comments and that's where your public relations campaign needs to begin....with etiquette that apparently has been left in the dust.....makes no difference to me,but you guys preach about being good stuards, when most are just assholes....I killed my elk and will continue to have success regardless.

westcoaster
11-14-2021, 05:23 PM

I don't think your point was lost on everyone.

However, several peoples points appear to be lost on you....

First, You have painted everyone based on the actions of one. "One ass drove past me so everyone MUST be the same and do the same...."

Second, This is YOUR version of events. There is always THREE sides to every story. Your side, the other guy's side, and then there is what really happened.
Understand, This is NOT calling you a liar. This is saying this is how YOU saw the version of events play out.
Perhaps the other fellow in the vehicle didn't think there was an issue in driving past after he talked to you
Perhaps he couldn't turn around where you thought he should have.
Perhaps he isn't skilled enough to back up down an overgrown road.
Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...
We don't have his side to know.

As I indicated earlier. I drove past a couple guys on foot earlier this season. I had no choice as that was the only road out. These two fellows and come in from a different area/direction and were walking the road.
Were they just as pissy about me driving past? would they have a legitimate complaint? In their eyes, some asshole in a vehicle simply drove past them...

Perhaps you are right, they proceeded forward simply to mess up your hunt. I don't doubt there are fellows capable of such dick moves out there.
However, I'll tell you right now, not everyone in a vehicle is out just to screw you up....

I think you'll find your trips out to be just a little more enjoyable if you lose the perception everyone is out to get you....

nelsonob1
11-14-2021, 05:34 PM
You do understand that roads, especially FSR's, were built for vehicle access. Not as first come hunting ops. If this bothers you, take a hike off the road. It's not hard.

As for ethics, there's rules and regs. Etiquette is you stroking your bent ego.

Congrats on the elk.

MRP
11-15-2021, 09:40 AM
By adding the end comment you hi jacked your own thread.

Ethics comes up every year and will continue to I’m sure.

This year day 1 of the season I had 2 guys in sxs drive in on me before legal atv time. While in canoe calling on a small lake for a couple of hours had a guy walk in and say this side of the lake was his and got pissy when we wouldn’t leave. It’s a wonder that some don’t get shot.

They just didn’t care. It’s the same mind set as people that cut you off in traffic, do 100k in a 60 zone, steals anything that not nailed down. The law or rules just don’t apply to them. Common courtesy or ethics is way down there list,,,,, unless it happens to them.

S.W.A.T.
11-15-2021, 09:48 AM
The thread took a turn in the first sentence when you considered your self more of a real hunter than the "road hunter".

Because your on foot your more entitled?

fuzzybiscuit
11-15-2021, 09:56 AM
The thread took a turn in the first sentence when you considered your self more of a real hunter than the "road hunter".

Because your on foot your more entitled?

I had to fight my unconscious bias after just reading the title of the thread. Right or wrong that title was a poor choice of words and a lot of people made their mind up as to what the OP is about right there…

S.W.A.T.
11-15-2021, 10:55 AM
I had to fight my unconscious bias after just reading the title of the thread. Right or wrong that title was a poor choice of words and a lot of people made their mind up as to what the OP is about right there…

Exactly....

Bugle M In
11-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Haven't read the 9 pages etc.

I am a hunter who walks nearly 100% of the time.
Do I like when a vehicle drives past me....not really....why would I?
However, if the road goes on forever, then no big deal.
Shortly ending in a cut block, then yes, i feel the vehicle could turn around OR, get out and walk it.

Why the get out and walk it?
Because it might be an area he/she has hunted for years and is sort of their honey hole, and remember, its PUBLIC LAND.
I know I have a couple areas that i had all to myself for 30 years that are now full of hunters.
So, I am still going to hunt it whether you are there or not, but not with a vehicle.

Now, here is some good news for you and many like me.
They are starting to really deactivate side/spur roads that do lead into some nice cut blocks (if you hunt those type of areas).
So, that vehicle driving by you is going to happen less and less, and there are plenty of bans starting to happen.
Just be careful what you ask for, as your honey hole might become 15 km or more away and you now have to get there by foot!!
But, something to take solace with in the future.

One last thing.
I don't hunt cut blocks that often, and that is the best way to avoid vehicles and the hunters that ride in them.
Just another thought.

IslandWanderer
08-18-2022, 04:54 PM
Lol, let's bump this classic discussion.

.300WSMImpact!
08-18-2022, 08:28 PM
Don't walk the roads if you don't want to be passed by a truck, a quad, a bike or a faster hiker, all hunters are equal, stop segregating you are no better than the next guy, smile and wave, have fun, help others have fun

IslandWanderer
08-18-2022, 08:32 PM
Don't walk the roads if you don't want to be passed by a truck, a quad, a bike or a faster hiker, all hunters are equal, stop segregating you are no better than the next guy, smile and wave, have fun, help others have fun

I agree totally. Also, we mainly road hunt and deer that are off in the bushes a ways don't seem overly concerned with the truck. It's not like driving down a logging road ruins it for hunting for the next hour.

mikeman20
08-18-2022, 09:27 PM

god why did you do this

dmaxtech
08-19-2022, 07:15 AM
god why did you do this

Classic shit disturber

Bugle M In
08-19-2022, 09:46 AM
If we run into a vehicle parked in an end of the road cut block, we back out.
Or if we spot someone in it.
But not everyone may know it’s the end of the road.
And, we also know it’s public land.
So, if the shoe is on the other foot, we hope to get the same curtesy but don’t expect it.
Sometimes others have hiked in and taken the time as well.
It happens all the time.
Get used to it, or find another spot further off the beat and path.
But then again, you might be surprised to run into someone there as well!
Public land, always remember that first.

MRP
08-19-2022, 12:05 PM
If they're not doing anything illegal they are all real hunters in there own minds, don't matter how silly or aggravating they may be to you. All others are poachers.

browningboy
08-19-2022, 07:25 PM
Nothing wrong with road hunting, don’t get cold or wet then! Lol, I do both styles and who cares

stoneramhunter
08-19-2022, 07:29 PM
Nothing wrong with road hunting, don’t get cold or wet then! Lol, I do both styles and who cares

I tend to agree there are hunters with deficits that perhaps have issues hiking for example they still should have the opportunity to enjoy. I have a friend of mine who lost his leg below the knee in nam and every chance he gets he likes to get out. as well some new hunters or younger ones may not be comfortable yet tracking on their own thru the woods.

Treed
08-19-2022, 07:56 PM
Hunt how you want to hunt. Long as it’s legal. I prefer road hunters. It leaves 99% of the bush empty for me.

Norwestalta
08-19-2022, 08:33 PM
If vehicles scare off the game you are hunting why do they get shot from the road or run over? I've seen animals in town, seen them when I'm working building a lease, seen them while farming. Heck I've even seen them while I'm target practicing. I haven't seen many when I'm walking. Probably not making enough noise I figure.

digger dogger
08-20-2022, 06:08 AM

Is that you Justin?
Seems like a liberal, divisive discussion.

Redthies
08-20-2022, 09:27 AM

Really? Did you have to???

emerson
08-20-2022, 10:18 AM
If vehicles scare off the game you are hunting why do they get shot from the road or run over? I've seen animals in town, seen them when I'm working building a lease, seen them while farming. Heck I've even seen them while I'm target practicing. I haven't seen many when I'm walking. Probably not making enough noise I figure.
I’ve seen the same big bull moose twice this week within 50 yds, right next to the highway as I’m on the Jake at 6:20 in the morning. Generally 1 dead in the ditch every other day between Dawson and Taylor.

Arctic Lake
08-20-2022, 10:22 AM
About 20 years ago a partner and I were hunting up the Table River road, we had just come out of the bush and a fella was driving up the road in a Chevy Blazer he stopped and chatted us up , the usually chit chat that hunters exchange . We were close to his drivers window and could see inside . He was quite over weight .
After he pulled away I said to my partner
“ For **** sake he was drinking a beer “ My partner said “ Yep but did you see what he had on his feet “ I said “ Nope “
Patrner “ He was wearing slippers “. All kinds out there , LOL !
Arctic Lake

ratherbefishin
08-20-2022, 01:47 PM
So at 75 and a bit unsteady on rough ground now I’m supposed to quit hunting because it’s not ethical to go for a drive in the bush ,maybe shoot a few chickens and see some game?

stoneramhunter
08-20-2022, 01:51 PM
So at 75 and a bit unsteady on rough ground now I’m supposed to quit hunting because it’s not ethical to go for a drive in the bush ,maybe shoot a few chickens and see some game?

NO need to quit hunting because of mobilty. hop in your vehicle and enjoy your hunt it is not unethical

Norwestalta
08-20-2022, 02:00 PM
I’ve seen the same big bull moose twice this week within 50 yds, right next to the highway as I’m on the Jake at 6:20 in the morning. Generally 1 dead in the ditch every other day between Dawson and Taylor.

Yep. Got goats and elk running all over the mine. Can see them from my d11. A guy would think the 3 o'clock blast would chase them to nfld but nope they're right back there again.

You still working for my uncle?

SSG-man
08-20-2022, 02:49 PM
About as ethical a question as bow vrs crossbow.

If you use a vehicle to get to anywhere near you're going is that not a contributing factor?

Maybe you hike out right from home?

Norwestalta
08-20-2022, 03:40 PM
About as ethical a question as bow vrs crossbow.

If you use a vehicle to get to anywhere near you're going is that not a contributing factor?

Maybe you hike out right from home?

What about scouting from my kitchen window, shooting from my gate post and driving out with my tractor to pick it up? Why make things harder then it needs to be?

SSG-man
08-20-2022, 03:52 PM
What about scouting from my kitchen window, shooting from my gate post and driving out with my tractor to pick it up? Why make things harder then it needs to be?

Exactly.
My blueberries were getting demolished every year by deer before CWD
Always thought it would be ethical to just crossbow one or two.

But really. Who gets to decide how much foot travel is ethical enough?
It sounds like something the Liberals would try to regulate

emerson
08-20-2022, 04:14 PM
Yep. Got goats and elk running all over the mine. Can see them from my d11. A guy would think the 3 o'clock blast would chase them to nfld but nope they're right back there again.

You still working for my uncle?
Yup, at least until the gravel program is over. Going to have to head out of town to run crane and make some $$ though.

stoneramhunter
08-20-2022, 08:19 PM

I'm probably only a few years away myself from road hunting :) nice camp to drive too and 4 wheeler looking. Not really worried if i harvest another animal or not like getting out:)

sparkes3
08-21-2022, 01:49 PM
Nothing unethical about it , and no laws broken so to each their own.
as long as someone gets out there and can be happy about it , give er.

Gateholio
08-21-2022, 05:51 PM
My opinion on this is the same as when this thread was created- If you are hunting on a road via foot or vehicle, then you are a road hunter.

I have been driving down a road and seen hunters obviously on a stalk so I will stop and either watch the show or back off but a guy walking down the road with a rifle in his hand I will drive past and wave. I'm on my way somewhere else and the animals probably don't care much. I've seen too many animals cross a road right after a truck goes by.

This debate somewhat reminds me of bear baiting threads I've seen on other forums. Baiting bears is not allowed in BC but it is in most other provinces. Guys from BC will wail that it's "cheating and not REAL hunting"

I always point out that most bears in BC are shot off the side of a road. Many BC bear hunters see a bear, exit vehicle and shoot. The more ambitious ones will do an F250 spot and stalk where they park their truck and stalk the bear after viewing them from a distance. Meanwhile building and maintaing bear bait stations and sitting in a blind for days is not what I would call fun, it's damn hard work.

MOWITCH SLAYER
08-23-2022, 08:03 AM
What a dumb topic. Crown land is open to everyone. Having your own zone is something only a spoiled child would demand . If you dont want others interrupting your hunt go further back. because if they can drive up to you and ask a question, you are hunting on the road (road hunter)

250 sav
08-23-2022, 08:30 AM
If you don't want someone to drive by you, get off the road. As to drive past you on a dead end road how do you know that they know it's a dead end. Get bucked off your high horse if it's public land.

stoneramhunter
08-23-2022, 08:36 AM
What a dumb topic. Crown land is open to everyone. Having your own zone is something only a spoiled child would demand . If you dont want others interrupting your hunt go further back. because if they can drive up to you and ask a question, you are hunting on the road (road hunter)

I know a sheep hunter this year who hwas hunting a bowl off the gatho keeping an eye on a ram in a band that he was going to harvest. He had been on the ridge for days when two hunters showed up. skylining themselves to boot. He explained that he was on some rams just ahead and that he was going to take the lead ram only legal ram in the band. and the rams had bedded for the night . the other hunters agreed to move to another ridge perfect sense. the rams had bedded down and the hunter told them he would harvest it in the morning. the hunter thought that it was all good between him and the other hunters but guess what. the other hunters do 15 min later they started following him along the ridge and camped 200 yards away from his tent down in the trees and in the morning the pricks dropped in to the bowl where the rams had bedded and shot the ram that the hunter was on. Sure its crown land but if that is not bull shit and unethical because they interfered with another hunters hunt im not sure what is. He confronted the hunters and they said it was theirs for the taking. imagine lining up to take a moose and a guy steps right up next to you raises his rifle and shoots the moose that would piss anyone off. I think it has to be thought of in theses situations as actually interfering with your hunt on crown land.

stoneramhunter
08-23-2022, 08:44 AM
I know a sheep hunter this year who hwas hunting a bowl off the gatho keeping an eye on a ram in a band that he was going to harvest. He had been on the ridge for days when two hunters showed up. skylining themselves to boot. He explained that he was on some rams just ahead and that he was going to take the lead ram only legal ram in the band. and the rams had bedded for the night . the other hunters agreed to move to another ridge perfect sense. the rams had bedded down and the hunter told them he would harvest it in the morning. the hunter thought that it was all good between him and the other hunters but guess what. the other hunters do 15 min later they started following him along the ridge and camped 200 yards away from his tent down in the trees and in the morning the pricks dropped in to the bowl where the rams had bedded and shot the ram that the hunter was on. Sure its crown land but if that is not bull shit and unethical because they interfered with another hunters hunt im not sure what is. He confronted the hunters and they said it was theirs for the taking. imagine lining up to take a moose and a guy steps right up next to you raises his rifle and shoots the moose that would piss anyone off. I think it has to be thought of in theses situations as actually interfering with your hunt on crown land.

Just thought I would ad that after a few more days of hard hunting he harvested a hell of a nice ram

browningboy
08-23-2022, 08:56 AM
In all honesty, the road hunter is far more supreme of a hunter than a hiker, they stay warm and dry, well nourished and see lots of beautiful country, so when it comes to a downed animal they are full of energy and have lots of strength to get it done! A road hunter puts more money into the economy due to offroad tires, lift kits, gas, winches etc.. What's a hiker got? A pair of boots?? Whoopdi doo!
So remember when you see a road hunter, you should thank them for all they do for hunting, when you see a hiker throw your empties at him!

Ourea
08-23-2022, 09:44 AM
I could make many comments on this topic as I have seen the best and worst with hunters.

Going into your white tail blind to find someone sitting in your commercial blind, on a bank you grub hoed out a level spot, sitting in your lawn chair, looking down a shooting lane you chainsawed out that overlooks the 200lbs of alfalfa you packed in, burning your propane heater, smoking...... and then being told first come first serve and I should hunt somewhere else today. Interesting perspective. Price to pay hunting close to roads.

Drug lamas in 10kms on trails we spent yrs cutting and grub hoed in some nasty country. Did 2 trips on the Sept long weekend bringing in camp in support of our mid Sept elk hunt. Firewood was cut, stacked and tarped, lawn chairs, stove and fuel in. I noticed boot tracks on the long hike in. Coming up to camp and there is a big fire, 2 guys in my lawn chairs, burning wood we cut and stored, tent set up. Once again it was the "we were here first, hunt somewhere else rationale". I asked if you 2 kill an elk its 3 1/2 hrs out and 5 hrs back in ... so that's a trip a day. 3 days of packing considering their camp needs to come out as well. I mentioned that grizzlies are an issue in here, do you have rope and pullies to hang game so the bears won't get to it........No.

I lay no claim to any area I have hunted. Crown land is just that, it belongs to all of us but we need to treat others with utmost respect and preserve and try to enjoy our hunting heritage while it lasts.

browningboy
08-23-2022, 07:54 PM
The road hunter is superior!!!!!

Mosin
08-23-2022, 07:56 PM
Can't stand when someone stops and asks "you hunting?" When Ive been real still and quiet for the longest time...keep driving ya mook

browningboy
08-23-2022, 08:21 PM
The road hunter is superior!!!!!

Can't stand when someone stops and asks "you hunting?" When Ive been real still and quiet for the longest time...keep driving ya mook

Dude that’s why road hunting is superior, you wait all day on the side of the road and be patient then the road hunter just shows up and takes care of business all while being warm and nourished? See makes sense now?

westkootenaykiller
08-23-2022, 08:41 PM
I could make many comments on this topic as I have seen the best and worst with hunters.

Going into your white tail blind to find someone sitting in your commercial blind, on a bank you grub hoed out a level spot, sitting in your lawn chair, looking down a shooting lane you chainsawed out that overlooks the 200lbs of alfalfa you packed in, burning your propane heater, smoking...... and then being told first come first serve and I should hunt somewhere else today. Interesting perspective. Price to pay hunting close to roads.

Drug lamas in 10kms on trails we spent yrs cutting and grub hoed in some nasty country. Did 2 trips on the Sept long weekend bringing in camp in support of our mid Sept elk hunt. Firewood was cut, stacked and tarped, lawn chairs, stove and fuel in. I noticed boot tracks on the long hike in. Coming up to camp and there is a big fire, 2 guys in my lawn chairs, burning wood we cut and stored, tent set up. Once again it was the "we were here first, hunt somewhere else rationale". I asked if you 2 kill an elk its 3 1/2 hrs out and 5 hrs back in ... so that's a trip a day. 3 days of packing considering their camp needs to come out as well. I mentioned that grizzlies are an issue in here, do you have rope and pullies to hang game so the bears won't get to it........No.

I lay no claim to any area I have hunted. Crown land is just that, it belongs to all of us but we need to treat others with utmost respect and preserve and try to enjoy our hunting heritage while it lasts.

that is some s#*%^y situations for sure, have had similar. but defiantly sounds like you need to grow some balls ahaha unless there is more to the story and your being quiet for obvious reasons lol

Ourea
08-23-2022, 10:00 PM
that is some s#*%^y situations for sure, have had similar. but defiantly sounds like you need to grow some balls ahaha unless there is more to the story and your being quiet for obvious reasons lol

Always more to the story.

Nothing wrong with my kohannas. I live my life with a moral compass that points true north. I drill this into the youth in my life...'be kind to everyone, yet fear no one'.

Mosin
08-23-2022, 10:17 PM
Dude that’s why road hunting is superior, you wait all day on the side of the road and be patient then the road hunter just shows up and takes care of business all while being warm and nourished? See makes sense now?

Side by side and quads Dawg...even had a guy paddle up on his canoe (wasn't a hunter so has an excuse)

Ourea
08-23-2022, 10:28 PM
Story time....

After a six hr pack in to the West Koots hunting a particular bull the 3 of us dropped our packs and started getting camp put together after watering up.
My partners at the time were competitive karate fighters, tough as they come. They decided to spar as I set up camp, stripped down to their boxers and went at it. The sound of shin bones being buried into your buddy's thighs after that hike.... insanity. They hugged it out and then got on camp detail.

All I was thinking was don't f**k your shit up as we will probably have 100 lbs each on our backs heading out.

My koohannas r fine westk killer. Those fellas in our elk camp the next yr ..... we just walked away.

westkootenaykiller
08-24-2022, 01:56 AM
Story time....

After a six hr pack in to the West Koots hunting a particular bull the 3 of us dropped our packs and started getting camp put together after watering up.
My partners at the time were competitive karate fighters, tough as they come. They decided to spar as I set up camp, stripped down to their boxers and went at it. The sound of shin bones being buried into your buddy's thighs after that hike.... insanity. They hugged it out and then got on camp detail.

All I was thinking was don't f**k your shit up as we will probably have 100 lbs each on our backs heading out.

My koohannas r fine westk killer. Those fellas in our elk camp the next yr ..... we just walked away.

Hahaha! probably a smart idea, us west kootenay boys are pretty wild too.. seen lots of heated interactions in the last decade since they opened elk up. we had a "sentinel showdown' once also hunting a specific bull. good guy on this site actually killed it that year.

emerson
08-24-2022, 06:20 PM
Another dead moose in the ditch this am between Dawson Creek and Taylor. Broken back, took several hours to expire. Sucks that putting it out of its misery would get a guy in trouble. Ministry was aware.

stoneramhunter
08-24-2022, 06:22 PM
Another dead moose in the ditch this am between Dawson Creek and Taylor. Broken back, took several hours to expire. Sucks that putting it out of its misery would get a guy in trouble. Ministry was aware.

Do you ever travel the galata creek road thats north of Rolla?

hunter1947
08-25-2022, 06:08 AM
FIRST OFF YOUR NEVER GOING TO GET AWAY FROM QUADS AND TRUCKS DRIVING PAST YOU ON FSR ON CROWN LAND.

What I will do if hunting new areas I find out what roads I will be hunting from ether from road maps or from google earth if and when I do see a hunter on the side of the road or in a cut block
and I know the road I am on continues for many miles past this hunter I will continue to drive past this hunter and continue for several miles past the hunter before I decide to hunt.

If I know the road I am on ends a short distance away I would turn around and leave so I don't interfere with his or her hunt,,all and all is knowing the area you want to hunt.

Many hunter just drive around and they realy don't know where roads go so a person is not going to get away from having others drive in on them.

The only way of getting away from hunters on quads or trucks etc is to hike away from roads to hunt..

chowskie
07-05-2023, 11:59 AM
Obstructing licensed persons
80 A person commits an offence if the person interferes with or obstructs a person licensed or permitted to capture wildlife or to hunt, fish, guide or trap while that person is lawfully so engaged.

HappyJack
07-06-2023, 07:16 AM

My thoughts exactly, sitting in my blind burning my propane and smoking and then having the gall to tell me to push off??.....someone would get hurt real bad, you would have to be a ball less goof to let someone get away with that chit.

Bernie O
07-06-2023, 08:26 AM
I thought this thread had died a well deserved death. If its legal, its legal. Everyone hunts according to their own style and abilities. Jerks will always be Jerks no matter what their life style and complainers will always be complainers. Thats why all people are different.

BlackOwL
07-06-2023, 01:05 PM

I know that You are going to have a lot of heat from some guys here.

but not from me, I will go with B all the way, and I say that all those against B, are full of shit! And full of envy, because if you are there hunting, stalking and others arrive after, I say is interfering with your hunting. And that is a fact.

Same if you are in your stand, and other “hunter” see you, but walks in front of you, that “hunter” is also full of shit. And it has all the ingredients of interfering with your hunt.

don’t you feel like you want to drill an extra hole in his ass? Unfortunately that will be illegal.

JAGRMEISTER
07-10-2023, 09:06 AM
whT THE F4UCK ARE U DOING HUNTING ROADS ON FOOT? DISSAPEAR

Wentrot
07-10-2023, 09:13 AM

scared of the woods, fear of getting lost etc. used to hunt with a fellow who would be told where to hike for a good circuit and within 5 minutes he would spin back and stand on the road. Lol

stoneramhunter
07-10-2023, 11:27 AM

i personally don't have an issue with hunters hunting on roads. some have done pretty good. Ive hunted along logging roads myself if it warranted it. . Ive taken a deer few times hiking in on the logging roads.. Im not sure why you would have distaste with someone hunting logging roads ?

Hunter gatherer
07-10-2023, 12:48 PM
My take is if you're on public lands then you have to deal with the public. If your glassing or whatever on the road then deal with quads and trucks driving by. If someone stops to chat be polite we are all doing what we like. If you feel that you deserve the whole road because you were walking down it first that's your problem. Most hunters I run into are good people and a little conversation can go a long way to coming up with a mutually beneficial strategy.

Redthies
07-10-2023, 06:53 PM

If a tree falls on the highway, and nobody sees who shoots, it’s out of its misery quickly. I pack a shotgun with 000 to get around the single projectile laws.

Redthies
07-10-2023, 06:56 PM
FIRST OFF YOUR NEVER GOING TO GET AWAY FROM QUADS AND TRUCKS DRIVING PAST YOU ON FSR ON CROWN LAND.

What I will do if hunting new areas I find out what roads I will be hunting from ether from road maps or from google earth if and when I do see a hunter on the side of the road or in a cut block
and I know the road I am on continues for many miles past this hunter I will continue to drive past this hunter and continue for several miles past the hunter before I decide to hunt.

If I know the road I am on ends a short distance away I would turn around and leave so I don't interfere with his or her hunt,,all and all is knowing the area you want to hunt.

Many hunter just drive around and they realy don't know where roads go so a person is not going to get away from having others drive in on them.

The only way of getting away from hunters on quads or trucks etc is to hike away from roads to hunt..

^^^This ladies and gents, is the voice of reason.

I’ve had entire weeks in Christian Valley (aka “the shooting gallery”) without seeing other hunters until I get to the rec site. How you ask? Boots and a pack,my friends…

MichelD
07-11-2023, 11:50 AM
I had good success a couple years in a row a short walk up a side road off a small FSR we used to camp at. In fact the deer I shot were in spots about 40 metres from each other. I shot a bear there opening weekend one time too. But it is on a busy road opening weekend. One time a pickup came up behind me at daybreak, stiopped, backed up and left. More recently a couple guys in a side-by-side roared by me as if I wasn't there.

Can I complain? I was on a road. That little side road I mentioned has a cool little naturally brushed in ground blind atthe end. I just normally sit on a stump there. Saw a moose there one time too, but I'm a little nervous about the occasions when people on quads come up behind me, sit there for less than a minute and leave.

The last three deer I shot near there were 20O metres from the road in the trees. Quads and trucks were going by on the road all day each time but the only shot I heard was mine.

BlackOwL
07-11-2023, 05:01 PM

The problem in this forum is that some "hunters" don't read carefully each post, and there you are, You just farted through your mouth, if you shoot the same way you shit then you're all smeared with shit.

the OP said:

in a gated and locked out zone that very few people have access to with the exception of a few people including the "local nation"...

high horse Hal
07-11-2023, 09:47 PM
you lost me at 'ethics'

JAGRMEISTER
07-26-2023, 09:36 AM
eXACTLY! TOO SHORT A MESSAGE WHAT THE F4UCK?

Deer_Slayer
08-03-2023, 10:42 PM
maybe that "road hunter" doesn't know the road ends in 200 yards? Maybe they thought they can carry on up the road. I have had hundreds of other trucks pass me when I am hunting an area and it doesn't bother me one bit. You don't hold a special privilege over any area.

Deer_Slayer
08-03-2023, 10:43 PM
Maybe that"road hunter" is one of the few given access!