PDA

View Full Version : Pack Choice for hauling deer out

Coyote
11-08-2021, 06:21 PM
My old bones are getting tired of dragging deer so I'm looking at packing them out. What are the pros and cons of a pack frame vs an internal frame pack?

swampthing
11-08-2021, 06:48 PM
Internal frames are a little easier to maneuver in the thick stuff and are quieter. They are generally more expensive as well. External frames are noisier, hang up on brush more but are generally cheaper to buy. They offer more tie down points as well. Not always but in general the internal packs are better designed and carry weight better. I have run both and prefer the internal frame.
And yes, its waaaay easier to carry an animal than it is to drag it!

jac
11-08-2021, 07:04 PM
I have a seek outside external frame I like it a lot

Gateholio
11-08-2021, 07:28 PM
I use a Mystery Ranch NICE frame with a meat hauler attachment. I would describe the MR frame as a bit of a hybrid in that it's comfortable like an internal but also rigid and you can attach different pouches to it. PG66 would always use a standard pack frame and attach a dry bag or day pack to it, which was less expensive and works fine, just less comfortable and easier to snag on bush.

Bustercluck
11-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Internal frames are a little easier to maneuver in the thick stuff and are quieter. They are generally more expensive as well. External frames are noisier, hang up on brush more but are generally cheaper to buy. They offer more tie down points as well. Not always but in general the internal packs are better designed and carry weight better. I have run both and prefer the internal frame.
And yes, its waaaay easier to carry an animal than it is to drag it!

What kind of pack frame are you talking about? The newer hunting bags are pretty similar to an internal frame except for the weight and maybe the load being slightly further out. I’ve used the old aluminum framed pack frames that sound similar to what you’re describing.

I also use a mystery ranch, but the guide lite frame with a Marshall bag. I find the suspension doesn’t quite fit right until there’s a load on it so it feels funny to use as a day bag. I wouldn’t use an internal frame bag, just because I wouldn’t want it covered in blood and try to tie a carcass down to it. A frame with a meat shelf or load shelf is definitely the way to go, just find one that fits properly. It’s best if you can find a few people nearby that have different frames to check out.

And then pick yourself up a gun bearer and you’ll be set.

BearStump
11-08-2021, 08:01 PM
I have the Cabela's prestige pack frame which is pretty inexpensive. and I got an Alpz outdoors commander pack frame bag from amazon that I attached to it. its a perfect set up for me. all my day hunt stuff fits in just the exterior pouches of the bag, and the main compartment stays collapsed. It opens up huge for packing meat when there's meat to be hauled. And my favorite part of the whole thing is that I have removed the top metal hoop from the frame and the nub at the top is perfect for hooking my rifle sling over. I cant stand when the sling strap constantly slides off my shoulder.

twoSevenO
11-08-2021, 08:07 PM
I cant stand when the sling strap constantly slides off my shoulder.

It's right up there with skipping windshield wipers as the most annoying f***n thing on this planet!

Bustercluck
11-08-2021, 08:12 PM
It's right up there with skipping windshield wipers as the most annoying f***n thing on this planet!
I’ll repeat myself. Gunbearer.

tdot
11-08-2021, 08:21 PM
Best thing you can do is buy a number of frames that interest you. Try them, both with weight and without. Then return the frames you don't like. I checked with 4 or 5 of the major brands, and they were all more then happy to allow this. They even encouraged it. Once you are settled on a frame, then order the bag you want.

The new frames have really become a hybrid of internal and external framed packs. They are superior to anything I've tried over the years, but they are also priced accordingly. I prefer the Seek Outside Revolution frame, insane that something so light can pack such stupid weights and be so comfortable.

Other brand names to look at are Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo Mountain Gear, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch. Yes they are expensive and yes they are worth it.

If you live near Squamish, you could try my Seek Outside frame.

Huntingtyler123
11-08-2021, 08:47 PM
I had a tatonka frame pack that was amazing for hauling stuff around but it had so many squeaks to it it drove me mental! Went with a kuiu pack and I haven’t had a major load in it yet but super quite and comfy so far

Ubertuber
11-08-2021, 08:49 PM
I prefer an external frame pack in open country where there are few obstacles and when just used as a meat hauler (hauling buddies moose). I use my internal for longer trips, especially in a bush-whack to the alpine hunt.
I guess my advice is buy one of each so you have all bases covered.:-D

Ron.C
11-08-2021, 09:01 PM
Coyote,

If you are only day hunting where you are walking into a spot and sitting, an external frame will suit you fine as a meat hauler. Lots of options out there and some sure don't break the bank. Too easy to attach any sort of daypack you may already have to it.

If you a stillhunting in close or sneaking around with a bow, I'd say you might be disappointed in an external frame. Not sure where you are, but I'm mid island. I have a Cabelas Alaskan Frame with a tatonka Lastenkraxe bag on it that you can try to see if it's the direction you want to go.

I have the Cabela's prestige pack frame which is pretty inexpensive. and I got an Alpz outdoors commander pack frame bag from amazon that I attached to it. its a perfect set up for me. all my day hunt stuff fits in just the exterior pouches of the bag, and the main compartment stays collapsed. It opens up huge for packing meat when there's meat to be hauled. And my favorite part of the whole thing is that I have removed the top metal hoop from the frame and the nub at the top is perfect for hooking my rifle sling over. I cant stand when the sling strap constantly slides off my shoulder.

I used a similar setup for the past 6 or so years and like you loved hooking my rifle sling over the frame. Mine was a Cabelas Alaskan Pack with a Tatonka Lastenkraxe Bag ( as stated above). Worked very well for me on a few week long backpack hunts for G bear/goats and hauled a pile of deer, blackbear and elk. Didn't work well when I was in thick cover. Constantly hooked on branches, was noisy and really limited how much I could twist and turn to go under/over/around snags and blowdowns. They do however make great shooting rests.

I switched this year to a mystery ranch pack/bag for 2 reasons. Comfort and Stealth. Lots of reviews on how much weight these packs can haul but I guarantee I can't max it out. The external frame pack gave away my position on more than 1 occasion and the width of the frame limited my arm mobility. Not bad for a day hunt but after a week of goat hunting it was a bit of a pain.

My Mystery Ranch pack gives me so much more mobility and range of motion while maintaining a good load hauling capability. Compared to my old cabelas alaskan, to the mystery ranch is like comparing sitting on a 10" stump to sitting on a lazy boy.

twoSevenO
11-08-2021, 10:06 PM
I’ll repeat myself. Gunbearer.

I have one. It's ok for the pack in and pack out but I don't like it for when you're "in the zone". Then i find it too slow to get the gun out.

Also, after a few seasons the scope under your arm pit really starts to get annoying.

Last but not least : it pisses me off when I have a headlamp on and it constantly glares off the barell that's right in front of my eyes and back into my eyes.

tigrr
11-09-2021, 07:50 AM
I made a cart from an old baby stroller. It has air inflated wheels. Just for deer.
My back, hips and knees say no more packing.

shadowhunter
11-09-2021, 09:18 AM
Bullpac, l love mine. External all the way for hauling dead animals

Weatherby Fan
11-09-2021, 09:50 AM
I’ve owned and tried most every pack, Mystery Ranch Nice and Guide Lite frames, Exo Mountain Gear, Stone Glacier, Kuiu, Cabelas External Frame Pack, Barney’s, Sitka Gear, and for me and my full bodied figure Mystery Ranch Nice Frame is the most comfortable with a load on me,

they all worked fine some were just more comfortable for me, my older brother who is slim loves his KUIU pack which was the lightest of the bunch but least comfortable for me.

Exo Mountain Gear was the next best to the MR for me.

So it’s best to try a bunch out and see what fits your budget and physical stature for comfort under load.

ccrcc
11-09-2021, 11:10 AM
MR. have a marshall and a pintler. marshall has hauled moose, elk, comfortably with no problems.
in the fall i run the pintler for day/overnighters and use a drybag and the load hauler for sloppier blacktail hunts.

Brno22F
11-09-2021, 05:23 PM
Your answer is right here
External Pack Frame for Sale (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167591-External-Pack-Frame-for-Sale)

Pro's: Bag comes on and off easily and the frame is more than capable of packing deer, goats, sheep or whatever else you want to strap onto it.
Can lash a small day pack to the frame for day hunts.
Great price. These were about $225 new
Rugged!! My brother and son both have/use one of these. They have used them on multi day sheep hunts, multi day high country deer hunts and several moose hunts.

Con's: not quiet

MichelD
11-09-2021, 06:07 PM
I use an old Camp Trails external frame pack.

It has a fold-down shelf on the bottom so if the chunk of meat is too large for the cargo bag, I can place it on the shelf and lash it to the frame.

https://i.imgur.com/3KMCk6z.jpg

walks with deer
11-09-2021, 07:24 PM
Mystery ranch from great north prescion...great inveatment