PDA

View Full Version : So I shot a feral pig……

shadowhunter
11-07-2021, 09:05 PM
Hunting up in cache creek lookin for 4 pts, I decided to scoot up another road off the hwy. Working the powerline near the burn, about a km or two up, and after a few bovine let us continue past them, we spot this really weird looking calf rambling down the road. I drop my jaw as I realize its porky walking at us! Stepping out of the truck, the swine bolts….. My 300wsm barked twice, the pig falls as its scrambling up the bank!

I can email someone pics if they dm me.

Decent sized sow, very surprised to say the least!

Blacktail1
11-07-2021, 09:36 PM
Pm sent . Congratulations.

Hugh Mann
11-07-2021, 09:58 PM
Mmmmm. Bacon.

HarryToolips
11-07-2021, 10:29 PM
Wow congrats thatll be tasty..

Blacktail1
11-07-2021, 10:40 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/v87bZyYk/6-D3011-C1-27-CB-4777-9-A46-6488-A6-A7-DBC1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/14zLvLNr)

Retiredguy
11-07-2021, 11:16 PM
That looks like a Vietnamese Pot Bellied pig. Any farms in the area? 8-)

geologist
11-07-2021, 11:25 PM
Bessy!!!!!!!!!!

Nooooooooooooo!..........

Drillbit
11-07-2021, 11:59 PM
That one looks way different than all the ones I’ve seen
way shorter face and legs

nice work!!

KodiakHntr
11-08-2021, 06:06 AM
That’s definitely a pot belly pig…

Either “set free” once the owner realized that they don’t stay little, or escaped.

Husky7mm
11-08-2021, 06:10 AM
Pretty neat find. Let us know how it taste. Was it a boar or a sow. Are you gonna get bacon and hams done up? I would.

Ride Red
11-08-2021, 07:17 AM
That’s definitely a pot belly pig…

Either “set free” once the owner realized that they don’t stay little, or escaped.

Sure is. Hopefully it doesn’t taste like Purina Cat chow.

300rum700
11-08-2021, 07:19 AM
Hahaha did it have a collar?

Darksith
11-08-2021, 08:16 AM
hahaha...ffs smh

Steelpulse
11-08-2021, 10:48 AM
Hahaha you gonna mount that one? Look great, full shoulder on the mantle. “And there I was face to face with a wild Vietnamese pot belly pet pig. He was comin right at me so I shot it”

boxhitch
11-08-2021, 11:00 AM
Its a feral pig, attago shadowhunter

Don't let the deriders get you down
Just more hunters eating hunters

igojuone
11-08-2021, 11:07 AM
If there's one there's probably more, keep your eyes open and aim small hit small.

Swamp mule
11-08-2021, 11:14 AM
Contact the Co's with the location that you shot the pig so that they can track where they pigs are. they will send it to the invasive species council of bc so that they themselves can track the pigs location. Best to do this before it gets further out of hand provincially.

Pioneerman
11-08-2021, 11:27 AM
I can honestly say that is NOT what I was expecting to see, this a Pot Bellied pig kept as a pets normally. They are generally not eaten as they are very fatty and little meat in comparison to any other pig species . If it was running wild either gotten away from it's home or was set free because someone did not want it any longer than yes could be classed as Feral , as would be with cats or dogs that went wild.

lovemywinchester
11-08-2021, 11:32 AM
What a fat *******. Looks like he has been doing pretty well for himself. I still don't know how these pigs survive with all the cats and dogs out there. You would think a cougar would smell and hear that thing a mile away and take him out. No shortage of cats around that part of the world.

Harvest the Land
11-08-2021, 11:38 AM
Excellent work. Glad to hear you didn't even hesitate. Should be tasty

Ride Red
11-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Its a feral pig, attago shadowhunter

Don't let the deriders get you down
Just more hunters eating hunters

Don’t make more of it than it is. Just keeping it light and feral is feral. Smfh.

Livewire322
11-08-2021, 12:32 PM
Don’t forget to compulsory report that harvest!

Congrats, should be good eats - probably get a good bit of lard off it too.

IronNoggin
11-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Nice Work.

markt308
11-08-2021, 01:07 PM
Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing the story and picture!

Darksith
11-08-2021, 01:14 PM
What a fat *******. Looks like he has been doing pretty well for himself. I still don't know how these pigs survive with all the cats and dogs out there. You would think a cougar would smell and hear that thing a mile away and take him out. No shortage of cats around that part of the world.
They don't, that's why we don't have feral pigs...feral pigs will revert back to their non domesticated appearance rather quickly. They will get hairy, grow tusks and get aggressive.
From the sounds of it and looks of it, this is just a recently escaped pig. Wouldn't last the winter, probably didn't last a weekend lol

Linksman313
11-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Got a tag for that?
lol

skibum
11-08-2021, 03:11 PM
At first look, I said that is not a feral pig (and like Darksith I highly doubt that there will ever be a significant wild pig population in BC)

But the definition is the definition: "Feral refers to pigs of the genus Sus that are not in captivity or are nototherwise under a person’s control."

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/plants-animals-and-ecosystems/invasive-species/alerts/feral_pig_alert.pdf

It is a pot belly pig, if there were no farms around, something was going to kill it sooner than later...

Treed
11-08-2021, 04:07 PM
I saw at least a dozen pigs wandering along the Nazko Hwy this summer. They’d fit the definition of feral but given all the farms there, I figured I’d be explaining that to some pissed off farmer and his 3 giant sons. I probably would have ended up as pig food supplement.

twoSevenO
11-08-2021, 04:34 PM
Probably taste better than any 4 point you would have found. Lol.

Nice shootin

Ltbullken
11-09-2021, 09:56 AM
I saw at least a dozen pigs wandering along the Nazko Hwy this summer. They’d fit the definition of feral but given all the farms there, I figured I’d be explaining that to some pissed off farmer and his 3 giant sons. I probably would have ended up as pig food supplement.

Explain to him what "under control" means.

Ride Red
11-09-2021, 10:49 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/wild-pigs-overpopulation-saskatchewan-1.6209851

If they can survive in Saskatchewan, they’ll survive here.

srupp
11-09-2021, 10:54 AM
HMMMM if its FREE....

ITS FERAL..

good shooting..

Bon appetite
srupp

2stroked
11-09-2021, 12:23 PM

The ones on the Nazko Hwy are sick and skinny. The SPCA says not to eat them and they are supposed to do something with them.

MRP
11-09-2021, 01:02 PM
According to the map halfway down there’s supposedly some around Dawson creek.??

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/sask-wild-pigs-1.5283140

kolofardos
11-09-2021, 01:11 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing how it tastes. I wasted a lot of time looking for them near Harrison when I heard the rumour they were there. The time I put in would have been better used to hike the ridges for blacktails.

MRP
11-09-2021, 01:19 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing how it tastes. I wasted a lot of time looking for them near Harrison when I heard the rumour they were there. The time I put in would have been better used to hike the ridges for blacktails.

Back in the 70’s there was story’s some pigs gone wild, farm escapees down there.

Darksith
11-09-2021, 02:36 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/wild-pigs-overpopulation-saskatchewan-1.6209851

why do you think that? We have a ton more predators than Sask...

According to the map halfway down there’s supposedly some around Dawson creek.??

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/sask-wild-pigs-1.5283140
The map is BS...its all hearsay. This is the first pig kill Ive ever seen posted and its certainly not from a feral sustaining herd

j270wsm
11-09-2021, 02:44 PM
^^^^^ someone else posted a story with pics of a pig their kid killed this yr, I think is also in the youth hunting contest thread as well.

IronNoggin
11-09-2021, 03:15 PM

Best be taking that article with a rather LARGE Grain of Salt.
The fellow providing all of this "information" is a researcher, who NEEDS support for continued funding.
His "reports" have been widely disclaimed.

We have family, friends and those they associate with living, farming, hunting and more in his so-called Hot Spot areas.
The vast majority have never seen any sign, and the only "feral" they collectively know of was when an uncle shot a neighbor's rampaging boar.

Cheers,
Nog

Swamp mule
11-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Stay away from them pigs. They are diseased up the ying yang. I would not touch them. i have seen them in the process of passing away due to starvation while others have been partially consumed by the remaining pigs. if you are going to shoot any make sure that you can burn them at the same time. Just a FYI he does not have three large sons. the oldest is about 13 and not the tall. i would be more worried about the safety of the younger kids as they just wander around getting the pigs even on the highway. He does live with his wife and girlfriend. Time to bring out the Banjo. BCSPCA will not do much as they don't seem to feel that it is not a huge issue and would rather go for the dairy farmer as it is more highlight and impact on the dairy industry.

Ride Red
11-09-2021, 03:28 PM
There were European pigs that escaped a couple times back in 2010 at Christina Lake. Some were taken out, but it would be interesting if any have survived.

Ride Red
11-09-2021, 03:39 PM
Post #13

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167186-2021-youth-hunting-contest/page2

emerson
11-09-2021, 05:57 PM
Stay away from them pigs. They are diseased up the ying yang. I would not touch them. i have seen them in the process of passing away due to starvation while others have been partially consumed by the remaining pigs. if you are going to shoot any make sure that you can burn them at the same time. Just a FYI he does not have three large sons. the oldest is about 13 and not the tall. i would be more worried about the safety of the younger kids as they just wander around getting the pigs even on the highway. He does live with his wife and girlfriend. Time to bring out the Banjo. BCSPCA will not do much as they don't seem to feel that it is not a huge issue and would rather go for the dairy farmer as it is more highlight and impact on the dairy industry.
Banjo, eh? I like banjo music. I can’t play very well, but my neck is red.

Treed
11-09-2021, 06:59 PM

That’s funny. I didn’t know who’s pigs they were but figured they belonged to someone. They definitely were not under control and should be dealt with. Glad the banjos I imagined would start playing if I had shot one weren’t just in my head.

Surrey Boy
11-09-2021, 07:37 PM
Congratulations!

Like, thumb up.

Deer_Slayer
11-11-2021, 01:51 PM
Looks more like a dead pig to me, but I am no expert. :)

Hunter gatherer
11-11-2021, 02:59 PM
Good job,enjoy the treats.

RDJ
11-12-2021, 04:21 PM
That's definitely a barnyard pig, possibly a pet and certainly not feral. Feral pigs appear almost like razorbacks. However, it's also not where it needs to be. Consider it a "harvest by misadventure".

IslandWanderer
11-12-2021, 05:22 PM
Lol, are you sure that wasn't somebody's lost pet pot bellied pig?

It should make for a number of awesome meals.