PDA

View Full Version : Chukar, Kamloops Lake, Tribal police.

zaconb
11-05-2021, 04:13 PM
Opening week of Chukar I was parked off Cemetery Rd., booting my dog when Tribal police pulled up behind me. He was nice enough , asked where I was heading, I explained walking east then back along lake. He informed me that hunting was shut down in the area due to recent fires, pressure on wildlife. As I understand it I was not on reserve land or planning to hunt reserve land.
I packed up, there are other areas for different birds, and headed off.
Since then I have found nothing that states a hunting closure , have had no return calls form the Kamloops area wildlife office, and can not verify this.
Anyone hear anything, I’m heading back next week to chase grouse and wondering what’s up.

Night Hawk 3
11-05-2021, 05:01 PM
There are well posted closures for all vehicle access online (see updates to the BC Hunting regulations online), but as far as I have read, these are about vehicles only and not hunting.

NH3

Planer99
11-05-2021, 05:27 PM
Crappy if a guy drew the 100000-1 sheep draw there and got run out by the "tribal" police.

180grainer
11-05-2021, 05:32 PM
Are Tribal Police allowed to police off reserve? Next time, Name, badge number, unit number and license plate.

zaconb
11-05-2021, 05:47 PM
There are well posted closures for all vehicle access online (see updates to the BC Hunting regulations online), but as far as I have read, these are about vehicles only and not hunting.

NH3

Yep, read them all, vehicle was parked, I was heading out on foot.

VLD43
11-05-2021, 06:13 PM
Yep, read them all, vehicle was parked, I was heading out on foot.

Yah I can see what the response would be : You're attempting to hunt on our unseated territory. You can't win, and the Co's are powerless. What a state this province and country are in.

sakohunter
11-05-2021, 06:23 PM
I must be blind, but that road is not part of any closure on the maps that I have found, and you were on foot.

Imdone
11-05-2021, 07:26 PM
Keep hunting, tell them to call the COs or cops.

If they want self governance, govern your own.

If there's no posted or closure listed....... Have at er.

Arctic Lake
11-05-2021, 07:33 PM
Hmmmm. I did not think we even had Tribal Police here in Canada , thought that was only in the USA ?
Arctic Lake

zaconb
11-05-2021, 07:39 PM
Hmmmm. I did not think we even had Tribal Police here in Canada , thought that was only in the USA ?
Arctic Lake
My bad, didn’t know correct terminology. He was in a 3/4 ton with the band chest on the door. There was one other hunters vehicle parked on the road. After talking to me he opened a gate and drove toward where they most likely were hunting.

RugDoctor
11-05-2021, 07:40 PM
Pay them little attention. Do what you need to do to get rid of them and go on doing what you want.

Firstblood
11-05-2021, 10:47 PM
That area is not band land and not in the sparks lake closure (vehicle closure not hunting i might add), they have a problem they can call the COS, they have no power to restrict your right to hunt on crown land. Was there last week and some crazy karen anti was yelling at my buddy saying the area was rules changed oct27 and we were breaking the law, took our licence plates and said "reported us" but didnt know what rules we were breaking or what changed. Hunt away, I know I will be. I might add interfering with a lawful hunt is illegal so get licence plate and name and report them.

zaconb
11-06-2021, 06:42 AM
Thanks for all the responses, since I haven’t had a call back from any government officials I thought I’d see if my fellow upland hunters had any insights. I’ll be in that area hunting next week, time is getting short, going to chase some birds.

huntcoop
11-06-2021, 02:16 PM
Tribal police can suck balls.

wideopenthrottle
11-06-2021, 02:53 PM
like any unwanted conflict..try to be polite but record everything if you can..licence plates badge number if they have one..ask for their card or contact number ...phone cameras with video are your friend..they show date and time as well as the subtle things like attitude and agressiveness...its funny how most people will change their tune when being recorded

boxhitch
11-07-2021, 10:30 AM
mmm naysayer speaks with forked tongue

jasonellingsen
02-10-2022, 06:30 PM
You are good to hunt there and its legal, ive heard of the same issue with my buddies as of this past season as well. Were you parked at the cemetary?

Dubra
02-16-2022, 09:05 PM
https://www.iheartradio.ca/image/policy:1.15540472:1625257386/Sparks-fire-area-restrictions.png?f=default&$p$f=c0d5a4f

Dubra
02-16-2022, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately, the BC Gov had a major section of the Sparks Lake area closed and didn't recind the access closure until the 15th of October (and adjusted the boundary).
You can see that the southern boundary extended right into the Kamloops Lake shoreline from Savona all the way to Fredrick/Tranquille.
I stayed away from the Savona area because of this.

Firstblood
02-17-2022, 02:39 PM
The map is not very detailed from that view, a closer view, the active map deom bc wildfire during hunting season from bc wildfire had much more detail and showed that the line was not on the shoreline of kamloops lake but the top of the hill and a distance from the area in question. Second, the closure was for vehicle use not to hunting, the area is a named publicly maintained road and therefore not included in the closure.