PDA

View Full Version : Resource Road Density in BC – A Discussion Paper on Issues and Solutions

Bugle M In
11-04-2021, 08:01 PM
Here's another topic for reading/thoughts and discussions if anyone is interested:

http://huntersforbc.ca/resource-road-density-in-bc-a-discussion-paper-on-issues-and-solutions/?fbclid=IwAR0gUp9D9qnJBBYNWt_R1u4RY9Ac75ch1V3N3VuU 0TJjf8Ttbq47H40N1BE

j270wsm
11-04-2021, 08:32 PM
One area I cut fire wood has recently had a few km of roads removed. It’s a good start but there is a long ways to go.

Liptugger
11-05-2021, 08:25 AM
How do they remove a road, just tear it up so it is unusable for people? Why not just let nature take it back?

Livewire322
11-05-2021, 08:32 AM
How do they remove a road, just tear it up so it is unusable for people? Why not just let nature take it back?
One possible reason:Because people are likely to continuously clear an otherwise drivable road if they want to access something beyond. In most cases it’s much more difficult for a regular joe to re-build a road that has been dug up than it is to clear it of ‘nature taking it back’

In case it isn’t obvious, I’m all for digging up (not just water bars, but big trenches) spur roads that aren’t in use by industry - be it the first couple hundred meters or farther.

emerson
11-05-2021, 09:30 AM
Road “removal” doesn’t stop easy predator travel for a long time. It does keep a lot of people out though.

skibum
11-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Road “removal” doesn’t stop easy predator travel for a long time. It does keep a lot of people out though.

I have seen a couple (spur roads) that have been made more difficult for predators - the length of the road was dug up, not just every 50 metres (mounds to pot holes). I had difficulty following it on foot. But don't think too many will be deactivated this way.... $$$$

Bugle M In
11-05-2021, 01:27 PM
And if you read, there is an acknowledgement that no one wants all the roads removed, as after all, it is what we use to get into a
watershed.
What is needed is all the spur roads to be ripped up for a good couple of 100 meters.

And yes, point noted on the fact that wolves will still take advantage of it.
That is a harder one to tackle.

But that's why the thread was posted, as to have discussions on thoughts and ideas.
We certainly have to start somewhere and have policies changed.
This is how it starts, and we need to get our acts together real quick.
Many issues to tackle in BC before it really is too late, imo.

MichelD
11-05-2021, 02:14 PM
I was up in Region 3 in September and went looking for a road where we had accessed a real honey hole for deer a few years ago and the road had been completely removed and thoroughly dug up.

tipper
11-05-2021, 08:42 PM
I was up in Region 3 in September and went looking for a road where we had accessed a real honey hole for deer a few years ago and the road had been completely removed and thoroughly dug up.

Great to here. I wish more would be deactivated!

Sitkaspruce
11-05-2021, 09:11 PM
This nothing new, has been discussed for 20+ years and we still have the same issues. The discussion only focus on timber extraction, there is lots more industry that builds road.

- Mining, O&G and FLNRORD don't talk to each other about roads. Lots of examples where we have two roads paralleling each other to two different resources being extracted in the same valley
- Forest and mining companies get breaks on stumpage and royalties to build roads, but to deactivate them is on their own. O&G have to do both on their own. Who wants to cut into profits when they don't have to?
- The process to deactivate now includes lots of stakeholders and not all of them want the road gone, so it gets tied up in bureaucratic red tape. Wait until the FN get to say what happens!
- Its funny how many recreationalists don't want to see "their" road or roads deactivated - lake, river/stream, campsite, hunting blocks etc. would be taken away.
And remember, the less access there is the smaller area that more people will be recreating in - hunting, fishing, camping etc.

Roads are not going any where and every year, the demand for more fiber, more O&G and more coal and/or minerals increases and to fulfill that, there will be more roads built.

Cheers

SS

wideopenthrottle
11-06-2021, 12:08 AM
35 years ago when took forestry in school we had 2 semesters of "roads"...mostly about using aerial photos to locate/lay them out find potential gravel deposits, fabricating dirt roads (layering gravel), as well as doing curve layout etc....our final project involved calculating how much timber had to be harvested along the way to help finance the road building...if I recall correctly it was something like a million bucks a mile to build forestry roads back then

S.W.A.T.
11-06-2021, 07:59 AM
Keep in mind you most likely would not have access to said areas without these roads.

tigrr
11-06-2021, 07:44 PM
Deactivation removes liability from the mill. West Fraser is deactivating like crazy.
But it wasn't done well near me. Dodge 4X4 towing a trailer can still go down the road, road hunting. Shooting and towing a moose out.

boxhitch
11-07-2021, 10:10 AM
How do they remove a road, just tear it up so it is unusable for people? Why not just let nature take it back?Some have temporary barriers like ditches that can be re-established as needed for silvaculture etc
Others are completely obliterated, they look like the surrounding landscape, usually the smaller cut block accesses are 'removed', while larger main haul roads remain usable

Bugle M In
11-07-2021, 12:08 PM
One solution for the wolves using these roads as was previously mentioned is quite simple.
A culling of wolves when needed.
Consistent Culling to help keep things balanced.
Ripping up roads is more to lower the impacts of the 2 legged variety for all sorts of reasons.