PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know if air bows are legal to hunt with?

BCHUNTER21
11-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Cant seem to find any info.

any help will be appreciated.

mike31154
11-02-2021, 02:13 PM
What's an air bow? Page 16-17 of the Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis should tell you everything you need to know. I don't see an air bow mentioned anywhere on those pages, so assume not legal.

BCHUNTER21
11-02-2021, 02:20 PM
look up umarex air saber.

mike31154
11-02-2021, 02:32 PM
look up umarex air saber.
Thx, I googled air bow & see what it is now after my earlier response. Again I defer to the regulations page 16. No mention of what I would interpret as an air bow there. Legal hunting methods include rim fire & centre fire rifles, shotguns. Under archery you have recurve, long bows, various crossbows including compound. I don't see where an air propelled arrow shooting device fits in? There are specific pull/poundage requirements for the various forms of archery. How would you determine or translate the air bow performance in hunting terms? Certainly they would be capable of taking an animal, but if it's not on page 16 I wouldn't want to explain to a CO what I'm doing hunting with it.

boxhitch
11-02-2021, 02:37 PM
Page 14, item 24
firearm, its not a bow

BCHUNTER21
11-02-2021, 02:58 PM
so it would probably be classified as an air rifle shooting under 500 fps.

these are safer and more powerful than a compound or crossbow. why aren't these dang things legal yet?

Drillbit
11-02-2021, 03:05 PM

these are safer and more powerful than a compound or crossbow. why aren't these dang things legal yet?

Probably because they are too good?

Livewire322
11-02-2021, 03:23 PM
Probably because they are obscure and the government moves at a glacial pace when it comes to changing hunting regulations around new equipment. Look at how long cellular linked trail cameras were out on the market before they were put on the no-go list. Same for IR/thermal optics and drones.

saskbooknut
11-02-2021, 04:26 PM
Any pneumatic, gas powered arm is prohibited for big game in Saskatchewan. SERM is not slow to respond to developments.

2chodi
11-02-2021, 06:30 PM
Cant seem to find any info.

any help will be appreciated.

”Airbows” are prohibited in Canada I believe. I also looked into their use in the US and there is a real mix in states from prohibited for hunting, allowed in some cases, etc

ccrcc
11-02-2021, 07:23 PM
"Shooters or hunters can shoot arrows on the dots. It will shot arrows exactly on the dot if the shooter is an expert. With this amazing airbow, a professional cannot use his/her target."
With technical specs like this, not sure why everyone isn't using one...

KodiakHntr
11-02-2021, 09:31 PM
What's an air bow? Page 16-17 of the Hunting & Trapping Regulations Synopsis should tell you everything you need to know. I don't see an air bow mentioned anywhere on those pages, so assume not legal.

In BC hunting laws are specifically illegal, meaning stuff that is illegal to do is specifically laid out in the legislation (Wildlife Act and Regulations). The hunting synopsis is just a snapshot of common stuff with examples (which is why at the very beginning of the synopsis it states “this is just general information”). Pg 16 and 17 is general information, not the be all and end all of the law.

Brez
11-02-2021, 09:46 PM
because you don't get it. lol.

Gateholio
11-02-2021, 09:52 PM
For sure not legal in bow season but I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed during rifle season. It's a rifle that uses an arrow as a projectile. But I've never actually seen one so not sure how it's ranked or rated. I would consult the province.

ccrcc
11-02-2021, 10:56 PM
Classifies as firearm, but not a rifle under the specific definition, so its akin to a pellet gun. Under the Act, not a lawful weapon for big game, but good to go for small game.

boxhitch
11-03-2021, 04:56 AM
Regulation cycle is two years. Its good issues like his come up on the public forums, I bet gov't research is done here over coffee )

waving, Hi Boys

mike31154
11-03-2021, 12:40 PM
In BC hunting laws are specifically illegal, meaning stuff that is illegal to do is specifically laid out in the legislation (Wildlife Act and Regulations). The hunting synopsis is just a snapshot of common stuff with examples (which is why at the very beginning of the synopsis it states “this is just general information”). Pg 16 and 17 is general information, not the be all and end all of the law.

Ok, you have a link or reference that may help us with this then? I know I don't delve that deep into the Wildlife Act and Regulations before I go hunting. Mostly rely what's in the synopsis. Getting so one needs a lawyer in tow before going hunting these days, sheesh. I'm good with the hunting tools at my disposal now, no confusion. Rifles, shotguns & a couple recurves. These airbows look to me like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist. New toy to spend your money on, but any better than a rifle or scoped compound crossbow for hunting?

KodiakHntr
11-03-2021, 01:26 PM
Wildlife Act and Regulations. Have a peruse through it. If it specifically says something is illegal, it is. Otherwise its legal.

Just like spears are specifically singled out now as being illegal.

For some reason I think they are a prohibited weapon in Canada though, so a moot point really.