PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with Hounds

Slug Slayer
11-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Was out camping at Grace Lake in Harrison this weekend and heard the unmistakable sound of hounds Saturday morning. Within a few minutes there was 2 radio collared hounds chasing our dogs around the camper. My dog was so terrified she wouldn't get out of the truck for hours. I hollered down the hill to whoever was running these dogs to call them off and get them the eff away from us. Some chubby doofus appeared and told me to calm down and stop being so "ignorant". You sir make all hunters look bad. Why the hell did you think letting hounds go in a busy campground was a good idea? Nobody cares that your dog picked up a good scent and no we didn't leave garbage out which you accused us of. In hindsight I should have kept a few of your dogs seeing as you're not smart enough to handle them properly... next time I will.
I know there aren't that many local hound hunters so hopefully this message reaches this moron.

Livewire322
11-01-2021, 01:19 PM
Should’ve said “the only trash around here is you”

Jeez. I hope the tool is on here and has the brain cells to put 2+2 together on why their actions are harmful to houndsmanship and hunting in general.
That’s a popular place for off-road enthusiasts, not all of whom partake in hunting, and would just as soon see us hunters barred from the bush.

BCHunterTV
11-01-2021, 06:37 PM
did he say he was hunting them, or they got lose?

Slug Slayer
11-02-2021, 05:26 AM
He was definitely hunting and claimed a bear had passed through the campsite the previous night

Bustercluck
11-02-2021, 06:04 AM
I had an incident similar to yours in jasper a few years ago, except I was on the other end. My dog is a golden retriever with an anxiety problem when he travels. We were camping at one of the main campsites in jasper and because of the bear problems they make you pack up any coolers and bbqs every time you leave or at night. So just in the inside of my trailer door was piled up with some stuff so I opened the door and tried to step over my bbq to get out and the dog bolted for the Athabasca river. A completely harmless dog ran by one persons campsite and his wife with little dog freaked out and started screaming and then the guy started being a Dick and yelling at me to get my dog under control which turned out into a worse situation for both of us because I ended up challenging him to a fight for being so ignorant.

Im not saying this is the same case, but sometimes one persons actions brings out the worst in another.

digger dogger
11-02-2021, 06:07 AM
Eeeesh, yuck, 12 hr dry, bear track, thatd be one shitty chase.
My hounds did not like little dogs, at all.
Hounds are not aggressive towards people.
Next time grab them and tie them to your bumper or a tree.
The owner will find them.

He likely let them go elsewhere, we’re they out all night?
Good idea to take someone’s dogs. Lol

Most guys I know that run hounds, would likely help you pick up your teeth and put them in a paper bag, so you don’t lose them again.

Don’t steal someone’s dogs, for sure.

BCHunterTV
11-02-2021, 08:17 AM
Well shit happens... and your attitudesounds like it will get you in trouble

He was definitely hunting and claimed a bear had passed through the campsite the previous night

Slug Slayer
11-02-2021, 12:36 PM
Digger, I think you misunderstand what occurred here. This moron released his dog's on the busiest fsr in the lower mainland directly into a busy campsite that was full of campers and people tearing around on quads and side by sides. They were not on some epic all night hunt. This makes ALL hunters look bad. Just imagine if those hounds shredded a seniors lap dog? Legal? Sure. Smart? Not even close.

Suggesting physical violence towards me shows you're roughly the same IQ as the bozo with the hounds.

Bugle M In
11-02-2021, 12:56 PM
Its a fair comment.
But, it can be hard to control hounds i suppose if they are on a sent, and we know bears like campgrounds.
At the same point, this fellow should have considered that probably before releasing the dogs.

As for houndsmen, just got a pm that someone came across a fresh MD kill (still warm) by a cougar who was in the process of burying it.
Around Kammy.
Cats are still busy it seems up that way.

BRvalley
11-02-2021, 01:32 PM
Slug Slayer, you are a more patient man than I would've been in that situation...shit happens, but the way that guy dealt with it wouldn't have gone over well with me...i've encountered hounds while I was grouse hunting and they didn't break off the trail to chase my dogs, these dogs don't sound like finished dogs, dumb idea to let them run in a busy campground

digger dogger
11-02-2021, 04:11 PM
In hindsight I should have kept a few of your dogs seeing as you're not smart enough to handle them properly... next time I will.
I know there aren't that many local hound hunters so hopefully this message reaches this moron.

I didn’t threaten you, I just figured you may want to rethink taking someone’s dogs. Most people don’t take kindly to people stealing they’re dogs. Ive had it happen!
It would be nice to hear from the guys, and get they’re side.

Livewire322
11-02-2021, 05:34 PM
I didn’t threaten you, I just figured you may want to rethink taking someone’s dogs. Most people don’t take kindly to people stealing they’re dogs. Ive had it happen!
It would be nice to hear from the guys, and get they’re side.

Not sure what more is needed. The dogs were allegedly loose in a recreation site, which is a no-no unto itself - it’s all worsened by the popularity of that area with non-hunting public.

If the story is true that the dogs came charging through the campsite and harassed people/pets, the owner is due some bad karma.

tracker
11-02-2021, 05:57 PM
not the hounds fault , sounds like the owner did not know where he was, when he let them go..

300rum700
11-02-2021, 06:30 PM
I think the bigger question is why did i waste 3 mins of my life reading this drivel?

Bubbacanuck
11-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Glad your dog is okay. Poor decision by the hounds owner. All fault lies with him. It would have been terrible if it was me there, as my dogs would have shredded his hounds to pieces. Unfortunately he would have had a very large vet bill on his hands if his dogs would even have survived. My dogs don’t take kindly to strange dogs getting in their faces. 120lbs of teeth is what they would’ve got. Glad that didn’t happen but the only person at fault would’ve been the hounds owner (no houndsman is that stupid)

digger dogger
11-02-2021, 06:55 PM
Not sure what more is needed. The dogs were ALLEGEDLY loose
there ya go little feller.