PDA

View Full Version : Blacktails: Things are heating up!

caddisguy
11-01-2021, 09:39 AM
Looks like it's GAME ON now. Bucks are in full on zombie mode, walking around with their nose to the ground.

The pocket I am hunting has around 8 does and 3 bucks that I know about. One is a little two point, another is also a 2 point and 1 eye guard with a body and wood that dwarfs most 4 - 5 points, the other is a nice 3x3.

They have been showing up on multiple cams daily, usually a few minutes to an hour after some of the ladies pass by, sometimes within an hour before or after me, and that's just on the cams... who knows how close we have been in the timber or if I've missed one standing there staring at me.

I haven't been able to be at the right place at the right time yet, but I think it's getting close, even overdue. Yesterday I checked a cam and found myself 9 minutes behind 3 does. I plopped right down there anticipating a follower, but nobody showed. No luck so for aside, I've been having a blast and a heck of a workout getting up high and still hunting for these guys.

Hopefully I will be able to make it out the next couple of weekends. Weather seems a bit iffy and losing access due to snow is a real possibility. Best case, the snow flies but stays up higher bringing in some migratory action while still being able to access the pocket. Worst case, no access and I'm shut down. Could go either way.

Anyone else going after those deep timber Region 2 blacktails? How is your season so far?

tinhorse
11-01-2021, 10:10 AM
In town the boys are right on the ladies and rubbing up the neighborhood trees. I've got one picture of a massive 2 point with a neck so swollen he looks like an over inflated balloon. Next weekend is going to be good! Get out and put one in the freezer

whitlers
11-01-2021, 12:17 PM
I believe it. I saw the biggest rutted out blacktail just inside the manning park boundary this weekend. 4pt well beyond his ears and thick as a horse.

Bubbacanuck
11-01-2021, 02:00 PM
Last weekend I headed up the Coq and managed to get my first mule deer within 1.5hrs of shooting light, home before dinner. I am on my annual blacktail hunt Nov 5-8 and plan to get one only, as I am saving my third deer this year for a late season whitetail.

Good luck to everyone else getting after the grey ghosts!

twoSevenO
11-01-2021, 05:00 PM
Being in the right place at the right time .... hardest thing to do in life.

I can figure out the right place, but the timing, which is often outside legal shooting light, is frustrating.

tigrr
11-01-2021, 05:10 PM
Everything has left here heading for the wintering grounds. No doe or bucks around.
Ya isn't it fun hearing the huffing before you can even see the ridge above you.

jshansen
11-01-2021, 08:46 PM
Finally laid eyes on two sets of mature does without fawns. I'll be watching them all like a hawk until a suitor comes callin

upperleftcoaster
11-01-2021, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the report! I haven’t been back into my Blacktail pocket since early season. This is encouraging. Good luck out there

caddisguy
11-01-2021, 10:32 PM
I was just going through my trailcam videos to put together a little teaser video for inspiration and noticed another buck that is a 4x4. Looked almost identical to the 3x3 in rack girth and tine length, so at first glance I thought it was the same buck... but nope, there's another buck in the mix.

The camera on the bedding bench seems to get the most action, even as late as 11AM. Out of all these bucks, that larger 2x2 with 1 eye guard actually seems bigger, more cautious and more nocturnal than the rest. He makes the 3x3 and 4x4 look like young-ins. If I had my pick, he would be my first choice. But let's face it... there is zero chance I am picking and choosing. Things look promising, but I could get skunked or shut down due to snow, washouts, etc.

Anyway I'll have the video up in a bit :)

caddisguy
11-01-2021, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the report! I haven’t been back into my Blacktail pocket since early season. This is encouraging. Good luck out there

I've been either scouting or hunting every weekend since mid August with nothing to show for it. Last year the bucks were still around in bow season, but this year they bailed at the beginning of August except a little fork buck. I had fun chasing him all over the mountain for a couple weeks there and then he disappeared. Everything was dead from mid September until October 4th when the does came flooding back in. October 11, little fork came back (I was amazed, I thought he was dead) along with a pretty big fork. Then a 3x3 and a 4x4. So 4 bucks that I know about, 8-12 does. I think they are all there to stay until the end of the season. Only question mark is how long I can access the area, and if I can be in the right place at the right time. With all these bucks moving around and me creeping around, I am actually very surprised I haven't crossed paths with any of them, at least that I know about.

I am bummed I burned all my vacation days. A couple weeks back, something came up and there was a possibility of me parting ways with my job. It was up in the air for about 10 days. I love my job and all, but I will confess the possibility of me BT hunting full time for the rest of the season was getting me excited. It looks like everything is going to work out though, so probably just weekend warrior for the rest of the season.

604Stalker
11-01-2021, 11:35 PM
Dying to get back out may do another island trip liberal season but I got lucky tbh it was pretty dead they are definetly deep in those pines new whip today .. Ready to rock... As soon as I patch it up and give er some tlc gonna grab the shotty and bow and head back out for a couple long walks up higher I want a bt buck but they sure as hell arnt gonna just get caught up walking the road mechanical issues are really dragging me down but if I can get out Ima spike out walk way up can rattle mouth grunt and get after em harrrrddd .. Sucks I definetly saw the biggest damn buck of my life this year and I cant chase him rn but seasons not over and there is still a will and a way to get another and seal the deal on not buying meat also coho runs good randomly and ruts on snowa running soon but Im bow only .. May have access we will see

caddisguy
11-01-2021, 11:47 PM
Here's a video teaser for additional inspiration for anyone who needs any! :)

Between the little fork, big fork, 3x3 or 4x4, which would be your most desirable? That big fork is my favorite, followed by the 3x3 (might be a little more meaty?) then the 4x4 which seems kind of small. Just going by body mass. I think the big fork is probably the oldest? The little fork feels more like a pet. I played with him too much early season. Pretty sure I'd make him food if I saw him though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKjIWyHtlTU

lakelander
11-02-2021, 08:40 AM

Between the little fork, big fork, 3x3 or 4x4, which would be your most desirable? That big fork is my favorite, followed by the 3x3 (might be a little more meaty?) then the 4x4 which seems kind of small. Just going by body mass. I think the big fork is probably the oldest? The little fork feels more like a pet. I played with him too much early season. Pretty sure I'd make him food if I saw him though.

Nice video! I would take the 3x3. Your camo is good...seems a bit creepy as you appear from below :). Heading out to Harrison East this weekend to add a BT to my mulie in the freezer. If all goes to plan, then WT 3rd week of November. Glad your job situation worked out. Good luck!

jshansen
11-02-2021, 08:52 AM
Good luck out there boys!

Arctic Lake
11-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Caddis . Thanks for sharing the video ! Good Luck !
Arctic Lake

Harvest the Land
11-02-2021, 12:53 PM

Holy cow that Forky is a monster! Go get him Tiger. I would have to agree he's my fav, but the other bucks have huge fat bodies on them which is what really tickles my fancy.

Haven't been to any blacktail spots since beginning of Sept because like you, they seem to vanish (usually) at the beginning of September, and like you, I noticed they seemed to leave at the end of August this year too. And just like you, I have another spot where they show up again in the first 2 weeks of November for the rut and am going to definitely make an effort to chase one down this or next weekend.

Thanks for the update and the great video Caddis. Good luck. Keep at it - the stars will align one of these days. Hardest north american big game critter to hunt imo - that's why they're so addictive

caddisguy
11-02-2021, 12:56 PM
Nice video! I would take the 3x3. Your camo is good...seems a bit creepy as you appear from below :). Heading out to Harrison East this weekend to add a BT to my mulie in the freezer. If all goes to plan, then WT 3rd week of November. Glad your job situation worked out. Good luck!

Thank you! I enjoyed putting that video together. I haven't posted up a video in almost a year. The backlog of hundreds of hours of footage makes me procrastinate, but figured since these are all recent / relevant and easy to put together that it wouldn't take up any time or thinking... and it didn't.

Being creepy in the bush is one of my main hobbies. The camo is just cheap stuff from Canadian Tire I bought years ago. It's not good for weather, but it gets me through the day and I bring a few changes of clothes to get me through the weekend since I just day hike and sleep in the car.

It seems to blend into old growth quite well which is pretty cool. When I am still hunting I spend a lot of time leaning against trees, sitting in thick cover and such. I think being still and avoiding being out in the open as much as possible does 1000x more than any camo. I definitely don't move as quickly or out in the open as seen on the video, unless getting from point A to point B is the main objective vs actually hunting, and if I wasn't checking cameras (which are out in the open) I would not walk through area that is that open, but rather creep through the thick stuff and watch the open area.

Good luck in Harrison this weekend. It looks like we're in for some possible weather. Potentially some dumps of snow and rain. I'm a bit worried about having too much snow, flooding or washouts. I guess we will find out soon!

twoSevenO
11-02-2021, 12:58 PM
3 point if I knew I could have a solid chance at the 4 point the next year ... he could be a record book buck!

That said I've had plenty of bucks on camera that just cruise by a few times during the rut and never show up again, sadly.

Redthies
11-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Water taxi is booked for Thursday morning. Going back to where we got two last year... Fingers crossed. It’s looking like blacktail type weather for sure!

Redthies
11-02-2021, 01:48 PM
And if they all lined up side by side, the 3x3 would be my take home I think.

Great video!

caddisguy
11-02-2021, 01:56 PM
3 point if I knew I could have a solid chance at the 4 point the next year ... he could be a record book buck!

That said I've had plenty of bucks on camera that just cruise by a few times during the rut and never show up again, sadly.

Definitely. Some of the biggest BT's I have had on camera only cruised by once, never to be seen again. You never know with bucks cruising. They could be 15km away in a matter of hours, up some other mountain on the other side of the valley. That could be the case with the 4pt. I would have to go through all the videos again, but I THINK I have only seen him once or twice at the most. I actually mistook him for the 3x3.

So far the big fork, little fork and 3x3 "seem" to be more "resident", but they can still disappear for a week and not hit any cams, then suddenly they are back. I don't think those 3 go a long way, but who knows, maybe they do. Figuring out place(s) they go when they are not where I expect them to be is something I am working on. I have some ideas and places to check out. Even 2km in any given direction, there are more stones still unturned than not. It's amazing how long it can take to learn a relatively small area. Oh, just a mountain or too, many thousands of trees, drainages, benches, ridges and such.

There is definitely a luck factor to it as you mention. Knowledge helps stuck the odds a little, you do have to be at the right place at the right time. One or more of those bucks could disappear for weeks or months, but at the same time who knows, bucks from other pockets cruising long distances could and probably will show up in this pocket.

twoSevenO
11-02-2021, 03:33 PM
Definitely. Some of the biggest BT's I have had on camera only cruised by once, never to be seen again. You never know with bucks cruising. They could be 15km away in a matter of hours, up some other mountain on the other side of the valley. That could be the case with the 4pt. I would have to go through all the videos again, but I THINK I have only seen him once or twice at the most. I actually mistook him for the 3x3.

So far the big fork, little fork and 3x3 "seem" to be more "resident", but they can still disappear for a week and not hit any cams, then suddenly they are back. I don't think those 3 go a long way, but who knows, maybe they do. Figuring out place(s) they go when they are not where I expect them to be is something I am working on. I have some ideas and places to check out. Even 2km in any given direction, there are more stones still unturned than not. It's amazing how long it can take to learn a relatively small area. Oh, just a mountain or too, many thousands of trees, drainages, benches, ridges and such.

There is definitely a luck factor to it as you mention. Knowledge helps stuck the odds a little, you do have to be at the right place at the right time. One or more of those bucks could disappear for weeks or months, but at the same time who knows, bucks from other pockets cruising long distances could and probably will show up in this pocket.

Yes, as with anything - consistency is key. You gotta be out there enough for you to eventually be there at the right time.

caddisguy
11-02-2021, 09:52 PM
Holy cow that Forky is a monster! Go get him Tiger. I would have to agree he's my fav, but the other bucks have huge fat bodies on them which is what really tickles my fancy.

Haven't been to any blacktail spots since beginning of Sept because like you, they seem to vanish (usually) at the beginning of September, and like you, I noticed they seemed to leave at the end of August this year too. And just like you, I have another spot where they show up again in the first 2 weeks of November for the rut and am going to definitely make an effort to chase one down this or next weekend.

Thanks for the update and the great video Caddis. Good luck. Keep at it - the stars will align one of these days. Hardest north american big game critter to hunt imo - that's why they're so addictive

I think that forky is an old beast going backwards. I think his body mass is about the same as the 3x3 but he has more flab thab muscle. I think the 3x3 and 4x4 are much younger but the 3x3 wins the meat (muscle) score. One can only imagine what the latter two will be in their prime.

Out the window goes the notion "two points means they are young and if hunters will stop shooting forks we'll have more big 4pts" lol ... pretty sure that fork is a senior citizen old and wise enough that he'll die of old age spreading those 2pt genes :D

Thank you and good luck to you as well! Addictive indeed. There really isn't any activity I enjoy more in life than hiking around in old growth timber. If the weather doesn't block my access and I get one more weekend in that pocket, blacktail success or not, I'm a happy camper.

IF I do get blocked, it will only force me to poke around the timber lower down in a different mountain or valley and who knows what that can turn into. Worst case good excercise and scenery, best case another pocket to learn. For every crisis comes great opportunity :D

One benefit of getting older is the years of experience. I still consider myself a greenhorn, but I have reached that stage where I can eyeball a mountain, consider the potential, hike around and know for certain whether it's a waste of time or it's a viable BT pocket. I am thankful for the lessons many years of failure taught me.

caddisguy
11-02-2021, 10:08 PM
And if they all lined up side by side, the 3x3 would be my take home I think.

Great video!

Thank you! Where does the water taxi depart from and what time? Not looking for GPS coordinates to your spot, just want to know the exact island and hope it's a small one with a lot of BT's!! Kidding of course.

When I was a youngin, like 9 years old, we used to have property on Savery Island, south side... back when the Island was virtually uninhabited, just a few full time residents and some summer vacation properties, not many tourists. I had a little tree fort that I slept in. One night I woke up to take a whizz. Stepped down on the ladder to whip it out. There were 20+ deer, half big rack bucks staring at me. I got shy bladder LOL. There was enough deer there it wasn't uncommon to find dead ones that fell off cliffs. Not sure what it's like now. Sounds like the place is a zoo and I don't think hunting (at least with firearms?) is allowed... could be wrong.

Random story. Ya'lls welcome.

Good luck wherever you are going! Those Sitkas or Columbian BT's? Can I come if snow and flooding blocks me? j/k

Good luck to you sir and looking forward to the trip report!

Redthies
11-03-2021, 08:05 AM
Thank you! Where does the water taxi depart from and what time? Not looking for GPS coordinates to your spot, just want to know the exact island and hope it's a small one with a lot of BT's!! Kidding of course.

When I was a youngin, like 9 years old, we used to have property on Savery Island, south side... back when the Island was virtually uninhabited, just a few full time residents and some summer vacation properties, not many tourists. I had a little tree fort that I slept in. One night I woke up to take a whizz. Stepped down on the ladder to whip it out. There were 20+ deer, half big rack bucks staring at me. I got shy bladder LOL. There was enough deer there it wasn't uncommon to find dead ones that fell off cliffs. Not sure what it's like now. Sounds like the place is a zoo and I don't think hunting (at least with firearms?) is allowed... could be wrong.

Random story. Ya'lls welcome.

Good luck wherever you are going! Those Sitkas or Columbian BT's? Can I come if snow and flooding blocks me? j/k

Good luck to you sir and looking forward to the trip report!

Honestly, we’d love to have you along, but the forecast for where we go is for 90 km/h winds and somewhere between 150-300 mm rain. The wives have suggested maybe we should skip it this year, and go somewhere less committing. I have used up 98% of this year’s “man, you are pissing me off, but I still somehow love you” credits with her, so we are going to go inland and visit our WT spot instead. There are also a lot of muley, elk and moose there, but elk just closed on the 20th, so they will get a pass.

Slavary Island is probably a bad choice to hunt. Too many citiots there now. I’d buy some chains so you can get in to your spot. It looks damn good to me!

Good luck out there!

Bubbacanuck
11-03-2021, 09:38 AM
I think that forky is an old beast going backwards. I think his body mass is about the same as the 3x3 but he has more flab thab muscle. I think the 3x3 and 4x4 are much younger but the 3x3 wins the meat (muscle) score. One can only imagine what the latter two will be in their prime.

Out the window goes the notion "two points means they are young and if hunters will stop shooting forks we'll have more big 4pts" lol ... pretty sure that fork is a senior citizen old and wise enough that he'll die of old age spreading those 2pt genes :D

Thank you and good luck to you as well! Addictive indeed. There really isn't any activity I enjoy more in life than hiking around in old growth timber. If the weather doesn't block my access and I get one more weekend in that pocket, blacktail success or not, I'm a happy camper.

IF I do get blocked, it will only force me to poke around the timber lower down in a different mountain or valley and who knows what that can turn into. Worst case good excercise and scenery, best case another pocket to learn. For every crisis comes great opportunity :D

One benefit of getting older is the years of experience. I still consider myself a greenhorn, but I have reached that stage where I can eyeball a mountain, consider the potential, hike around and know for certain whether it's a waste of time or it's a viable BT pocket. I am thankful for the lessons many years of failure taught me.

If you get blocked, too far to snow shoe in? Last year, I hiked 14kms in snow shoes to get to a spot for lynx. Long day for sure...one day i will get an ATV and tracks for snow. one day

saltybuck
11-03-2021, 10:11 AM

Awesome Caddisguy! Good advice and great attitude! Happy hunting

caddisguy
11-03-2021, 12:17 PM
If you get blocked, too far to snow shoe in? Last year, I hiked 14kms in snow shoes to get to a spot for lynx. Long day for sure...one day i will get an ATV and tracks for snow. one day

That is one heck of a hike! That would be one well deserved lynx right there.

In my case it would depend how far I can get (or rather where I am blocked) but possible it would be be a day hike each way.

I just have to hope for the best and be ready to alter plans if needed. Also if I get in, I need to keep a close eye on conditions, possibly wake up every hour to check or I could trapped in there. I have almost got myself in trouble a few times--most recently 3 weeks ago---sleeping more than a few hours at a time :)

IronNoggin
11-03-2021, 12:42 PM
Great little video Caddis.
Quite Inspiring!

Getting into it soon myself over here on The Rock.

Best of Luck in The Pursuit!

Cheers,
Nog

caddisguy
11-03-2021, 06:48 PM
Great little video Caddis.
Quite Inspiring!

Getting into it soon myself over here on The Rock.

Best of Luck in The Pursuit!

Cheers,
Nog

Thank you Nog! I am glad it added some inspiration here.

It's a magical time of year. Hopefully we will start seeing some BT success threads.

Good luck to you and all HBC members pursuing this unique and challenging hunt that is exclusive to only a coastal sliver of the continent.

twoSevenO
11-03-2021, 07:07 PM
If you're on Instagram you would have seen a cranker record book blacktail hit the dirt today in the LM.

One I have trail cam pics of from 2018 And 2019 ... Sadly, it fell in front of a different hunter

Beauty buck that put on significant mass over the last 3 years since I first got him on one of my cams.

caddisguy
11-03-2021, 08:33 PM
If you're on Instagram you would have seen a cranker record book blacktail hit the dirt today in the LM.

One I have trail cam pics of from 2018 And 2019 ... Sadly, it fell in front of a different hunter

Beauty buck that put on significant mass over the last 3 years since I first got him on one of my cams.

I have IG but rarely use it. IG and FB posts are usually really dry "so I did a thing and got this guy #hunting #meat" ... that's just me though, I'm a story / write-up fan and pics without writing makes me sad.

Record book local BT though that a fellow HBCer trailcam'd, yeah I feel I'm missing out a bit. I want to see it lol

Is it on your feed or do I have to follow another?

twoSevenO
11-04-2021, 08:40 AM
I have IG but rarely use it. IG and FB posts are usually really dry "so I did a thing and got this guy #hunting #meat" ... that's just me though, I'm a story / write-up fan and pics without writing makes me sad.

Record book local BT though that a fellow HBCer trailcam'd, yeah I feel I'm missing out a bit. I want to see it lol

Is it on your feed or do I have to follow another?

4pointoutdoors on IG

Huntingtyler123
11-04-2021, 09:33 AM
Damn! Looked it up, that’s a huge black tail!
good luck to all and good luck caddy

stixnstones
11-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Can someone post picture or link here thx

Steelpulse
11-04-2021, 08:39 PM
Been pretty quiet for me so far. Had some solid lawn action pre rutty stuff a few days ago. Has been quiet in the woods for last 2 days. North gulf islands.

the 4x on Instagram. Nice buck for sure

caddisguy
11-06-2021, 05:19 PM
Got a 3x2. Just heading home now.

Liptugger
11-06-2021, 05:45 PM
Got a 3x2. Just heading home now.

Good on you, looking forward to the pics and story.

caddisguy
11-06-2021, 07:22 PM
Good on you, looking forward to the pics and story.

Thank you! There will be pics and probably some video, decent story.

Unfortunately when we arrived home, we found our fridge is no longer operational. Luckily we only had a bit of milk and cheese in there... but this means it's gonna be a late one meat cutting and vacuum packing to get everything in the freezer.

Dang... it's always gotta be something. Will check in tomorrow.

For now I'll just say the bucks are like dang zombies right now. He was gonna walk right into me. Only care in the world was dragging his nose along the ground.

And got some insane trailcam footage of some kinky deer, down right freak show lol

Does liver and heart freeze ok? We have a set of rib rolls... thinking of cutting up the liver and wrapping it into the rib rolls. Dang this is a drag. Could use some onions and such but silly me got my buzz on as soon as I got home, so I can't be running around.

ccrcc
11-06-2021, 07:30 PM
heart yes, liver eat fresh.. congrats on the deer.
was out myself, didnt see much action... next wknd is usually primo timing in my zone.

caddisguy
11-07-2021, 03:24 AM
heart yes, liver eat fresh.. congrats on the deer.
was out myself, didnt see much action... next wknd is usually primo timing in my zone.

Thank you! I ended up cutting, vaccuming and freezing everything, including the liver (well, didn't cut up the liver obviously) It was just too much to deal with having no fridge. What a time for a fridge to crap out. Would have been cold enough outside until morning, but dang it's almost morning.

Rubbed the rib rolls with Montreal steak spice, rolled it up stuffed with canned mushrooms, marinaded with Campbell's onion soup and keg steak house lol ... had to work with what I got in the pantry. Gonna miss out on the fresh liver though. Kinda bummed, but next time.

Rut activity seems to be insane in our pocket. I have trailcam footage of a doe zipping around with an antlerless buck riding backwards on her back. It's hilarious... part of the story I suppose. I couldn't contain myself and bust a gut laughing, figured I spooked all the deer and headed back to camp, then the 3x2 I've never seen before nose to the ground oblivious and crusing was about to run into me.

I couldn't pass on that still holding two tags, even though the 4x4 from that trailcam vid seems to be out during the day every day. Maybe next weekend as long as the snow keeps in check. I still want that big old 2pt with the one brow tine more than anything but it will take a lot of luck.

twoSevenO
11-07-2021, 07:41 AM
Do you find the rib roll actually tastes good? Between all the fat and silverskin I honestly don't find much meat on there at all.

And deer fat tastes gross. :/

I'm honestly not sure why we are even required to take rib meat from a deer home

caddisguy
11-07-2021, 01:27 PM
Do you find the rib roll actually tastes good? Between all the fat and silverskin I honestly don't find much meat on there at all.

And deer fat tastes gross. :/

I'm honestly not sure why we are even required to take rib meat from a deer home

Haven't tried it yet. I thought the same thing when I was rolling them up last night. I think marinade and slow cooking will be key.

the hopper
11-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Haven't tried it yet. I thought the same thing when I was rolling them up last night. I think marinade and slow cooking will be key.
they are perfectly fine if you slow cook then with some stock and a rub, then pull em out just before they fall apart.
bbq sauce and hot grill to finish.
This renders out 95% of the tallow.
then eat hot.
you won’t even be able to tell they are venison ribs

Salty
11-07-2021, 01:31 PM
Congrats Caddis sounds like as per usual, you earned it. Yeah that's about the worse time for a fridge to cack out :(

AFA rib meat goes I personally like it. Haven't roasted them whole I don't think ever. Doing the gutless method the last while I just cut the meat out it goes pretty fast. One of the first things I eat I like it in chili or stew, to tenderize all that muscle tissue

caddisguy
11-07-2021, 05:31 PM
Congrats Caddis sounds like as per usual, you earned it. Yeah that's about the worse time for a fridge to cack out :(

AFA rib meat goes I personally like it. Haven't roasted them whole I don't think ever. Doing the gutless method the last while I just cut the meat out it goes pretty fast. One of the first things I eat I like it in chili or stew, to tenderize all that muscle tissue

Thanks Salty! It didn't go down exactly the way I wanted. All that time I spend, intense still hunting and climbing around the mountain trying to outsmart these animals, getting up early, hiking up in the dark, it seems half the time they just walk up to me while I'm making coffee or eating lunch mid day LOL

I'll take it though. I'll be back out there again soon if the weather allows me access. Been planning a trip with my brother for some time. IF I can get back in there I think there's a good chance more tags will be cut, though for me I am saving mine for one of the big boys... either the big old 2x2 from the video, the 3x3, or some equal or greater beast.

Here's the smaller 3x2 from yesterday. I'll post up something with better pics and some video along with the story when I get some more time to go through it all and write it up. I wonder which of the other bucks this guy lost his eye to. I wish I had that scrap on film but have some other cool stuff lined up.

https://i.imgur.com/3orHdMG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/CM5jtSJ.jpg

lakelander
11-08-2021, 09:54 AM
Congrats! Good hunting.

Harvest the Land
11-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Thanks Salty! It didn't go down exactly the way I wanted. All that time I spend, intense still hunting and climbing around the mountain trying to outsmart these animals, getting up early, hiking up in the dark, it seems half the time they just walk up to me while I'm making coffee or eating lunch mid day LOL

I'll take it though. I'll be back out there again soon if the weather allows me access. Been planning a trip with my brother for some time. IF I can get back in there I think there's a good chance more tags will be cut, though for me I am saving mine for one of the big boys... either the big old 2x2 from the video, the 3x3, or some equal or greater beast.

Here's the smaller 3x2 from yesterday. I'll post up something with better pics and some video along with the story when I get some more time to go through it all and write it up. I wonder which of the other bucks this guy lost his eye to. I wish I had that scrap on film but have some other cool stuff lined up.

https://i.imgur.com/CM5jtSJ.jpg

Fck-n rights Caddis! So happy to hear that it all came together for you. Way to stick with it and persevere.

That is one Dandy blacktail! Awesome work

Salty
11-08-2021, 11:38 AM
oversized beer keg with legs. lol

upperleftcoaster
11-08-2021, 12:58 PM
Nice job. Like your pack out style, trying to do it all in one trip haha!

twoSevenO
11-08-2021, 04:42 PM
Right on. Congrats!

Citori54
11-08-2021, 04:51 PM
It was typical November weather blacktail hunting on the Island yesterday - rain, heavy snow, horizontal snow, hail, more rain and lest we forget fog. Spent 1 1/2 hours hiking to the top of a mountain in driving snow only to have the fog roll in so you couldn't see much. Lots of fresh rubs but zero track in the snow. Headed back down and we ended up passing on a fat spike and a small two point lower down. We never saw anything bigger although I know there's a decent 3 point in the same area.

twoSevenO
11-08-2021, 06:10 PM
I never see much action until the weather front settles ... just my observation.

RackStar
11-08-2021, 06:27 PM
Nice buck!

IslandWanderer
11-08-2021, 07:58 PM
My son and I saw nine today, but unfortunately they were all either small does, or with fawns.

caddisguy
11-09-2021, 01:17 AM
Nice job. Like your pack out style, trying to do it all in one trip haha!

The fun part is when you fall, you fall hard, and then feel like a turtle on it's back trying to get back on all fours to stand up.

It wasn't a long pack out at all. Shot was only 30 yards from camp. If he didn't bolt down the steep hill it would have been a breeze. I took a round-a-bout route through the timber to go up a less steep area. Still a really short / easy packout, but I felt it the next day.

Dave177
11-09-2021, 06:41 AM
As someone who is fairly new to hunting blacktails what is the general opinion when it starts to snow? Some of my spots went from nothing on saturday morning to 4" deep by sunday morning and the forcast is for it to keep coming down.
Will they be holding in the timber in these areas or move down in elevation to below the snow line?

ccrcc
11-09-2021, 11:18 AM
my experience is they chill out and weather the storm, then really start to move. ive had most success and see highways of tracks at snowline. hike to there and find the tracks then traverse slowly (like, real slow...) upwind. if you cut a track, give it a follow.
needless to say, also seen them in thigh deep snow and down at the valley bottoms cruising for chicks... ya just never know - as this thread proves. time in the bush increases your chance of success.

caddisguy
11-09-2021, 11:41 AM
As someone who is fairly new to hunting blacktails what is the general opinion when it starts to snow? Some of my spots went from nothing on saturday morning to 4" deep by sunday morning and the forcast is for it to keep coming down.
Will they be holding in the timber in these areas or move down in elevation to below the snow line?

I am anxious about the weather as I was last week. I'm glad I was able to get out for a hunt because I knew it might be the last one due to access. I'm in the same position now, planning to take my brother out which we have been planning for a long time, but it sounds like we're in for a good dump of snow that could turn to icy roads and probably a lot of trees down too between the snow and the wind storm.

As far as deer movements while it's snowing, raining or whatever, I don't really think about it. I have video of bucks chasing does waist deep in snow even in late December. If anything, snow will push down those migratory bucks that have been hanging out WAY up the mountain... more bucks, more does, more chasing, more fighting.

Good luck out there!

Dash
11-09-2021, 12:23 PM
Congrats caddis! Always look forward to reading your threads! Dandy buck!

caddisguy
11-09-2021, 11:16 PM
Congrats caddis! Always look forward to reading your threads! Dandy buck!

Thank you! There should be more coming. I'm heading out Thursday with my brother. If we can get in and aren't getting weathered in, I'll have 3.5 fulls days to hunt.

I've been trying to get video together of the last one. Lots of good video but having trouble with sound quality on the voiceover, so it's on hold for a bit. Need more time. Probably need to order a better mic gadget, and might double up this coming weekend into one video. Will toss up the stories, pics and vids here on this thread.

EDIT: Actually whatever... here's what I have so far (video and voiceover from the last video) I posted it as "unlisted" on YouTube rather than "Public". Let me know if it's "decent enough" to flip to public or if the sound is too garbage and I should re-post better quality voiceover.

HBC exclusive right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGtVHs0wDY

BeerMan
11-10-2021, 07:31 AM
Great Video caddisguy, and nice buck.

IronNoggin
11-10-2021, 01:16 PM
Video is good to go.

Congrats again!

Cheers,
Nog

Wentrot
11-16-2021, 02:50 PM
Caddis end up heading out Thursday for an extended trip? He trapped somewhere?

The Hermit
11-16-2021, 02:59 PM
Cool video. I'd be down for the two point! He is a fantastic animal for sure!

caddisguy
11-17-2021, 10:05 AM
Caddis end up heading out Thursday for an extended trip? He trapped somewhere?

I was trapped out there with my brother behind white water rapids. Thankfully stuck with a good tribe of folks (9 of us) ... I took 2 days but we were able to divert the rapids into 3 sections and build a path of benches through, then take advantage of the cold snap and break in the rain. It was sketchy, but we got all the equipment out (thanks to a good bushman and skilled driver named Edward) except one of the two trailers. One guy had a deer to eat on so we ate well and tossed rocks for a couple days.

HBC member Salty came and helped us out too. We are now safe here in Hope with Salty.

twoSevenO
11-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Right on!!! Glad to hear it. I heard about this from Danny and was wondering when you guys would make it out.

Post up your full story here in a new thread! Sleeping in your jeep for a week couldn't have been very comfortable.

Good to hear about the deer in camp. That certainly helps!

Knute
11-17-2021, 11:32 AM
I was trapped out there with my brother behind white water rapids. Thankfully stuck with a good tribe of folks (9 of us) ... I took 2 days but we were able to divert the rapids into 3 sections and build a path of benches through, then take advantage of the cold snap and break in the rain. It was sketchy, but we got all the equipment out (thanks to a good bushman and skilled driver named Edward) except one of the two trailers. One guy had a deer to eat on so we ate well and tossed rocks for a couple days.

HBC member Salty came and helped us out too. We are now safe here in Hope with Salty.

SAFE WITH SALTY?? Sounds like a horror movie teaser...;)

Good on ya Salty for harboring these folks. Our friend is stuck in Hope at a campsite down by the river. Sleeping in their SUV, not Matt Foley's van....

Dash
11-17-2021, 11:43 AM
I was just thinking about your trip and worried you may be out there. So glad to hear you and others made it out safe!

IronNoggin
11-17-2021, 01:05 PM
Good to hear you managed to get out!

Also great to learn of yet another HBCer's Helping Hands! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Wentrot
11-17-2021, 06:15 PM

good to hear! He’s a good man.

caddisguy
11-18-2021, 02:06 AM
Made it home. Not a scratch on me. Salty had his own challenges coming back through the hairy highways and came to help first light in that little window we had to get equipment across and took us and other "refugees" in.

I'm not ready to process all that went down in any coherent fashion other than Salty was my savior and refuge, and that me and my brother are home safe and sound.

Thank you!!!

Huntingtyler123
11-18-2021, 01:37 PM
Very good man salty and I’m glad all of you are safe

caddisguy
11-18-2021, 10:59 PM
Right on!!! Glad to hear it. I heard about this from Danny and was wondering when you guys would make it out.

Post up your full story here in a new thread! Sleeping in your jeep for a week couldn't have been very comfortable.

Good to hear about the deer in camp. That certainly helps!

Oh definitely. I'll get a story up with pics and video eventually.

Sleeping in the jeep for a week was totally fine. The only real discomfort was not knowing how long it would go on for and how it would play out in the end. Otherwise it was pretty much like a normal hunt/camp trip, just batting some extra innings with some amazing people. I'll never forget the 11km tribe. I'm sure we'll all get together again.

Anyway will try to get a post up maybe this weekend.

Salty
11-19-2021, 07:15 PM
Made it home. Not a scratch on me. Salty had his own challenges coming back through the hairy highways and came to help first light in that little window we had to get equipment across and took us and other "refugees" in.

I'm not ready to process all that went down in any coherent fashion other than Salty was my savior and refuge, and that me and my brother are home safe and sound.

Thank you!!!

This whole deal was a trip. I get an inreach from caddis Sunday night that he and several other rigs are trapped behind slides on the Skagit. I’m like wish I could help you man but I’m trying to get home from Vernon and m now in Merritt via Spences bridge in a monsoon my only chance home is 3 and it’s looking sketchy as hell but I’m going to try. We basically wish each other luck. He says emergency folks know of his situation. 4 or 5 hours later I roll in to Hope eyes big as saucers. All these routes closed not far behind me I guess.

Crashed around midnight slept like a log. The next day I think about caddis and the he must be home by now and shoot him a text but didn’t hear back. Eh.. must be busy. Hed inreach me if still in trouble. That night at 10 or so he inreaches me! They’re still there, SAR obviously swamped he wonders if I can post a thread on HBC to ask where the first slide is. Dude I got no internet and phone is phooked LOL. They’re fine for the night lots of food. I say I’ll get out and see how far I can make it in the morning.

I wait a half hour after first light. Sneak around some barricades weave around minor washouts and logs. Cross two good size slides one 6 feet deep but luckily the dry cool night has allowed the slurry to dry and i make it to a sharp cut where a creek changed course at 9.5 Hmmm �� think I can make it but not sure. Nope if I get high centered I’m ****ed and stuck here and then he’s got no intel. I don’t know for sure if I can walk to them. Was just going to turn around and head out to phone service and text caddis what I’d found as planned and here comes a guys on a side by side. Yes! I found them.

Polish Ed, this guy is a friggn hoot! �� he sees I made it this far in my truck so he’s relieved. He takes me back t the stuck group ( he just busted out of the big mess where they were and was on recon). Turns out they weren’t far at all. and I meet caddis first time face to face. Lol. More work and screwing around and everyone except some RVs are out. Highways by then had sent in guys on side by sides, choppers flying around all is good. Then they’re all stuck in Hope so we put up caddis his bro and a fellow from Vernon. Plus another stranded guy that my wife works with.
And…. This may sound weird the whole thing was huge fun for all. Never met a more content bunch of refugees.hahaha
Alls well that ends well ��

IronNoggin
11-19-2021, 07:38 PM
Alls well that ends well ��

Nice Work Sir! VERY that is!!

https://c.tenor.com/3Tr0sIszHEgAAAAC/a-fistful-of-dollars-clint-eastwood.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Salty
11-19-2021, 08:14 PM
Cheers Nog…

it was worth the price of admission to see the smiles when they saw me and knew there was a way out. But gotta say I can’t imagine a more chill group for been stranded two days and one really really bad night. There were boulders the size of small houses crashing down either side of them through the worse of it. One buddy got a beauty 4 point they’d all ate a quarter already and apparently had a huge pooled goods soup the night before. They all laughing and joking soaking wet in the crick clearing a path. Friggin hunters, what a breed :mrgreen::mrgreen:

twoSevenO
11-19-2021, 08:19 PM
Good job to everyone involved! I had heard from Danny about the group in Skagit but everyone west of Abbotsford was screwed as far as trying to make any rescue efforts.

Good on ya! Big thumbs up.

caddisguy
11-19-2021, 09:14 PM
Good job to everyone involved! I had heard from Danny about the group in Skagit but everyone west of Abbotsford was screwed as far as trying to make any rescue efforts.

Good on ya! Big thumbs up.

Oh man when I turned on the VHF scanner listening to all the truckers and SAR it was evident not the typical washouts but our situation was petty compared to highway situations and houses flooding. We were just campers batting extra innings.

I want to write this up but just need time. Until then, huge thank you to Salty, Edward, the fellow who engineered and built out or path, supplied food, everyone shoveling and tossing rocks, etc, everyone who worked hard and kept a cool head (100% of our tribe) cooking, sharing, helped us or anybody else, thank you.

I hope we can all get together again for a campfire.

nature girl
11-20-2021, 04:11 PM
Well first of all Caddisguy congradulations on getting a deer earlier this month.
And just crazy what you and your brother and the other fellows had to go thru. So happy that Salty could help you getting out and letting you stay at his house. That is what HBC is about.

Salty
11-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Well caddis’ life is soon to be back to normal he and his bro picked up their Jeeps and are home bound.
He left us with a nice present. Including Several meals worth of venison, what a guy.
yes THAT venison his buck from a few weeks back:cool:
I feel like I’m a once removed part of an internet legend here. Hahahaha!

caddisguy
11-21-2021, 07:59 PM
Well caddis’ life is soon to be back to normal he and his bro picked up their Jeeps and are home bound.
He left us with a nice present. Including Several meals worth of venison, what a guy.
yes THAT venison his buck from a few weeks back:cool:
I feel like I’m a once removed part of an internet legend here. Hahahaha!

And we're all home safe again! Man I was anxious about driving the 7. It wasn't too bad I guess, other than a couple accidents around Harrison Mills and Deroche.

It was cringe worthy seeing the rigs down the embankment that got washed away by slides. Yikes, I cannot even imagine. Route was about 2.5hrs each way Langley to Hope and back for anyone that needs to do it... probably more on weekdays.

I hope there's some good cuts like backstrap or something in those vacuum bags Salty! We just labeled everything "steak", "steak bites" and "to grind" this year. I'm no butcher to begin with and rushed a lot up super late that night because I had to get everything in the deep freeze since the fridge was broken.

Looking forward to BT hunting and mushroom picking with you next year. Next time I'm out that way I'll bring the "Blacktail Trophy Tactics" book I mentioned (can't believe I forgot)

Huge thank you to the both of you again. Will never forget meeting on the other side of the 11km slide. I did not expect we would actually meet that day, but you went out of your way to push through with the truck and then jump on the ATV with Ed. That was an adventure for everyone including yourself and you had only just got back from your own adventure ordeal.

One thing for sure is you are an HBC legend. My brother, caddisgirl, caddismom and I are forever grateful.

Salty
11-21-2021, 08:59 PM
I do it like you do, debone and freeze meal plus leftovers size bags. Can make steaks, cubes, roast or whatever strikes the fancy later. Looking forward to it caddisguy ate my last venison recently and after these storms who knows if I’ll be able to get out to tag out myself?! I know the spots I had high hopes for are off limits now till next year, if at all.

other than that bud you’re too kind you would do the same thing to help someone if you could similarly of this I know. My wife and I are more than happy we could help a little. And grateful to have met some very good people!
cheers amigo

180grainer
11-21-2021, 09:46 PM
Thank you! There should be more coming. I'm heading out Thursday with my brother. If we can get in and aren't getting weathered in, I'll have 3.5 fulls days to hunt.

I've been trying to get video together of the last one. Lots of good video but having trouble with sound quality on the voiceover, so it's on hold for a bit. Need more time. Probably need to order a better mic gadget, and might double up this coming weekend into one video. Will toss up the stories, pics and vids here on this thread.

EDIT: Actually whatever... here's what I have so far (video and voiceover from the last video) I posted it as "unlisted" on YouTube rather than "Public". Let me know if it's "decent enough" to flip to public or if the sound is too garbage and I should re-post better quality voiceover.

HBC exclusive right here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEGtVHs0wDY
Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Redthies
11-22-2021, 08:23 AM
Glad to hear you got out safe Caddis! I managed to find a couple of BTs yesterday at a spot I hunted in my first year, but not for at least the last 5 years. It’s grown in a lot, but still holds lots of deer. Followed fresh tracks in the snow for a bit, lost them, then saw tracks in a dirt embankment. Slide down that and jumped out on an old road looking for more tracks, then I happened to turn and see the deer I was tracking munching on grass not 20 yards away! It didn’t even react to me. I spent about 15 minutes just following it down the road as it slowly grazed (doe) always about 20-30 yards away as we had seen her with a buck not long before and I was hoping he’d show. I came home empty handed but might try again next week.

https://i.postimg.cc/fy4kJNj9/4-D3-CF3-EE-A178-4-ACA-A6-A5-C01-C7666-F7-D8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Hc2ThFNY)

caddisguy
11-22-2021, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear you got out safe Caddis! I managed to find a couple of BTs yesterday at a spot I hunted in my first year, but not for at least the last 5 years. It’s grown in a lot, but still holds lots of deer. Followed fresh tracks in the snow for a bit, lost them, then saw tracks in a dirt embankment. Slide down that and jumped out on an old road looking for more tracks, then I happened to turn and see the deer I was tracking munching on grass not 20 yards away! It didn’t even react to me. I spent about 15 minutes just following it down the road as it slowly grazed (doe) always about 20-30 yards away as we had seen her with a buck not long before and I was hoping he’d show. I came home empty handed but might try again next week.

https://i.postimg.cc/fy4kJNj9/4-D3-CF3-EE-A178-4-ACA-A6-A5-C01-C7666-F7-D8.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Hc2ThFNY)

Is that a throat patch and a nose on the other side (left) of the tree?

Maybe just my mind trying to see things that aren't there while still hunting pictures on the internet haha

Redthies
11-22-2021, 10:40 PM
If it is another deer, I missed seeing it! But no, there was just the one visible at that point.

caddisguy
11-23-2021, 02:47 PM
Put together a little video of our last trip. This one is not such much about "blacktail hunting" other than a few nice bucks on the trailcams, but the other stuff that was going on. This is just a tiny glimpse into it (from my own perspective) from the little bits of footage I had on my phone. Filming stuff took a back burner.

I only did see one blacktail on that trip. I was scurrying up a hill and revealed myself too fast to the plateau up top. Normally I'd just poke my head out to get a view. For whatever the reason, I walked right out, had to whiz and while doing so off the deer bounces (20 yards away) from it's bed and down the hill. Oops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNyM0UCQ6E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNyM0UCQ6E

wideopenthrottle
11-23-2021, 03:02 PM
great vid...lots of fun there...heheh

boilerroom
11-23-2021, 06:33 PM
Epic thread caddisguy! I'm glad you and your family are safe and thanks for sharing the selflessness of others that helped you out - truly a great story of people helping people and I'm sure even with all of the trials and tribulations you wouldn't trade for the great memories and friendships made.

lakelander
11-24-2021, 10:24 AM
That'll be one to remember for years to come hey Caddis? That helicopter circling was like out of a movie damn! Glad you all made it out safe. Wonder if this experience is going to prompt you to add more survival stuff in your jeep?

Imdone
11-24-2021, 10:40 AM
Great Post and a huge way to go to all.

Glad your safe.

caddisguy
11-24-2021, 03:16 PM
That'll be one to remember for years to come hey Caddis? That helicopter circling was like out of a movie damn! Glad you all made it out safe. Wonder if this experience is going to prompt you to add more survival stuff in your jeep?

Yes, upgrades are due. Quickly realized gear like little folding shovels and backpacking hatchets aren't a substitute for full sized shovels, axes and such.

Will always take a proper shovel and axe from now on, not packpack or under the seat size stuff, and rig some extra fuel storage. caddisgirl has already packed a long term food kit. Lots of Spam, Stag, Sardines and such.

The main thing though I'll be packing more of is common sense. I always knew I might get stuck back there one day. When I left on Thursday, forecast called for 40mm during the day on Thursday and Friday - Sunday was 10-15mm each day. Figured yikes, 40mm is bad, but we'll just keep an eye on it. Thursday came and went with little rain.

Friday night it dumped hard and I got concerned. Then a couple rolled up to our camp. I ask them if there was any flooding. Nope. All is good!

I think 100-300mm came down in a couple hours Saturday night / Sunday morning. My brother left a pot out that was around 10cm high. I see it and think crap, how long has that been overflowing for? I knew at that point we're probably not getting out.

Sooo yeah, I should have left Saturday morning when that couple told us the road was fine, or even before.

The objective is to not to need recovery gear or help to begin with. Becoming more self critical here, that's for sure. I'll leave it at that.

Anyone have recommendations on shovels for helping someone in a similar jam?

Salty
11-24-2021, 04:23 PM
A good sturdy round nosed shovel and a maddox, polansky or whatever u want to call it below.
I finally started carrying one all the time its come in handy a few times including last Tuesday. Great for sloping vertical cuts from washouts or loosening up what the shovel can't

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.ef6734213dce8498c6334a13de9c3df4?rik=N7thCLLmkzt dYw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.buttreyrental.com%2fitemimage s%2f2099.jpg&ehk=DI5zIx8vvXwgplv%2bB%2bBMdWsbtf1zwU1FD8SDs2xOWV g%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&sres=1&sresct=1

SuperYeti
11-24-2021, 05:22 PM
A good sturdy round nosed shovel and a maddox, polansky or whatever u want to call it below.
I finally started carrying one all the time its come in handy a few times including last Tuesday. Great for sloping vertical cuts from washouts or loosening up what the shovel can't

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.ef6734213dce8498c6334a13de9c3df4?rik=N7thCLLmkzt dYw&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.buttreyrental.com%2fitemimage s%2f2099.jpg&ehk=DI5zIx8vvXwgplv%2bB%2bBMdWsbtf1zwU1FD8SDs2xOWV g%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0&sres=1&sresct=1

I second the maddox. It came in handy when I was in Indian Arm during the first atmospheric river this year to trench around my wall tent to slow the water ingress.

twoSevenO
11-24-2021, 06:11 PM
I second the maddox. It came in handy when I was in Indian Arm during the first atmospheric river this year to trench around my wall tent to slow the water ingress.

X3 ... shovel doesn't help when it's mostly rock and you need to carve out a road in it. This helps
Dislodge that stuff way better than a shovel.

twoSevenO
11-24-2021, 06:12 PM
Yes, upgrades are due. Quickly realized gear like little folding shovels and backpacking hatchets aren't a substitute for full sized shovels, axes and such.

Will always take a proper shovel and axe from now on, not packpack or under the seat size stuff, and rig some extra fuel storage. caddisgirl has already packed a long term food kit. Lots of Spam, Stag, Sardines and such.

The main thing though I'll be packing more of is common sense. I always knew I might get stuck back there one day. When I left on Thursday, forecast called for 40mm during the day on Thursday and Friday - Sunday was 10-15mm each day. Figured yikes, 40mm is bad, but we'll just keep an eye on it. Thursday came and went with little rain.

Friday night it dumped hard and I got concerned. Then a couple rolled up to our camp. I ask them if there was any flooding. Nope. All is good!

I think 100-300mm came down in a couple hours Saturday night / Sunday morning. My brother left a pot out that was around 10cm high. I see it and think crap, how long has that been overflowing for? I knew at that point we're probably not getting out.

Sooo yeah, I should have left Saturday morning when that couple told us the road was fine, or even before.

The objective is to not to need recovery gear or help to begin with. Becoming more self critical here, that's for sure. I'll leave it at that.

Anyone have recommendations on shovels for helping someone in a similar jam?

Don't need a packable shovel. When I had my TJ I always Carried a full size shovel. Slide the handle into the frame tube that is right behind the bumper and rest the shovel head right against the edge of the bumper. Then bungee cord it in place.

Dash
11-25-2021, 01:24 PM
Holy CRAP! What an insane experience! SO glad you and your party made it home safely. Salty too!

Surrey Boy
11-25-2021, 01:29 PM

A cutter mattock is also my primary truck tool, along with a jack and rope.

Bubbacanuck
11-25-2021, 01:39 PM
Looks like I'm shopping for a mattock! 5lb good enough I assume?

Salty
11-25-2021, 03:23 PM
Looks like I'm shopping for a mattock! 5lb good enough I assume?

Sounds about right as a minimum. As long as its heavy gauge steel with no flex to it, its not the kind of tool that gets an easy ride. I actually found mine in the bush with a broken handle its an old one which is a good thing. I've seen them at garage sales and pawn shops fairly often. Its the go to for wild fire crews a shop that caters to that kind of thing should have them, maybe princess auto or a good hardware store even.

sthdslayer
11-25-2021, 03:43 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmVWDvL-dJKbgB7b_SPhdcGgmVo-ZZkEgpECpWnyxsR6VfxvwRXW_cAVuJMHxpLqKqy0gH3KnPpYk&usqp=CAc Canadian Tire

Redthies
11-27-2021, 12:46 AM
All that time I spend, intense still hunting and climbing around the mountain trying to outsmart these animals, getting up early, hiking up in the dark, it seems half the time they just walk up to me while I'm making coffee or eating lunch mid day LOL

Here's the smaller 3x2 from yesterday.

Lets shift back to blacktails now that everyone is safe and sound back at home...

I predominantly hunt upland as I have three bird dogs and it is amazing to work with them, but I usually take a 4-5 day deer trip every November. Sometimes to the West Koots where I grew up to chase whitetail, and sometimes to the coast for blacktails. We got two BTs last year on a water access coastal hunt, but my partner shot both (we share our meat, but hunt separately on some of these trips if it’s not happening working together so we can cover more ground). Last years 5 day trip averaged a LOT of hiking. The last day when we were successful it was 18 kms and +/- 4500 vertical.

This year, we did a 4 day hunt in Okanagon Mtn Park, and while we saw quite a few WT and one legal moose, we never got a shot on anything. Last Sunday I took my partner to a spot I first hunted in around 2014 (and not since) and we got there well before dawn only to find that trees grow quicker than you think and there is a fair bit of wolf activity. Once the light came up and nothing was moving, we did a wander around to see what was going on. Tons of deer tracks in the 1” of snow, and definitely some bucks. The day proved worthwhile though as I got up close and personal with a doe, and yearling button buck. I waited for someone to come and check out the doe, but dark came on with her still solo.

I took a drive today after working until noon, and was walking in with gun in hand around 2:30. By 3:15 I had done a loop of the area, looking for fresh tracks, but the rain overnight had obliterated everything and there was no fresh sign. I decided to sit and glass some of the open country on the walk in where recent brushing had been done. I could hear the excavator working uphill in the distance. I pulled my thermos out of my pack and was just settling in for a wait when I saw a couple of shapes crossing open ground about 300 yards away. Up go the binos and hello deer! I’m packing my .30-30 so I obviously need to get closer, so just grab the Marlin and ease in to the trees once they cross the clearing. I move pretty quickly along the main game trail as I can see fairly well through the trees, and am confident I can ambush them when they come in on that trail. But they don’t come in, so I cut through the timber back out to the cut. No deer. Hmmm, maybe they’re in the depression I can’t see into about 100 yards ahead... back into the trees, up the trail 50 yards to the height of land on this little ridge , back out to the clearing and look into the dip. No deer. I think, shit, they must have gone the other way on the trail. Oh well. I’ll go see if I can find their tracks. So I turn 180 to walk back into the timber and there are two bucks staring at me from about 30 yards away (close to where I had just been). They don’t bolt, and the front one turns his eyes off me, and I shoulder the gun, he looks back and eyes me up looking like he’s saying “ well, go ahead and get it over with”, so boom. He took one step to the side and dropped. One kick of the legs and it was over. The guy behind him gives me a “uh, see ya” look and trots off. He was a two point, but the spike was in front of him, and my freezer is almost empty so I wasn’t going to waste an opportunity trying to get a better hat rack.

My wife was walking the dogs about 2km away and was back with the truck in about 5 mins. The access point to this area of old deactivated roads is gated and usually closed, but today it was open for the guy running the hoe, so she was able to drive right to me. Like you said Caddis, some days you hike until your ready to drop, tracking hard, and playing the game. Other days, like today, it’s a short walk, a tea break, the wind in your favour and an easy shot.

The tasty morsel:

https://i.postimg.cc/DyL6PWm0/1-E14-FCDD-7-D82-43-F8-A4-E9-991-D3497-C3-F4.jpg (https://postimg.cc/RNCwMZ7x)

caddisguy
11-27-2021, 01:06 AM
Lets shift back to blacktails now that everyone is safe and sound back at home...

I predominantly hunt upland as I have three bird dogs and it is amazing to work with them, but I usually take a 4-5 day deer trip every November. Sometimes to the West Koots where I grew up to chase whitetail, and sometimes to the coast for blacktails. We got two BTs last year on a water access coastal hunt, but my partner shot both (we share our meat, but hunt separately on some of these trips if it’s not happening working together so we can cover more ground). Last years 5 day trip averaged a LOT of hiking. The last day when we were successful it was 18 kms and +/- 4500 vertical.

This year, we did a 4 day hunt in Okanagon Mtn Park, and while we saw quite a few WT and one legal moose, we never got a shot on anything. Last Sunday I took my partner to a spot I first hunted in around 2014 (and not since) and we got there well before dawn only to find that trees grow quicker than you think and there is a fair bit of wolf activity. Once the light came up and nothing was moving, we did a wander around to see what was going on. Tons of deer tracks in the 1” of snow, and definitely some bucks. The day proved worthwhile though as I got up close and personal with a doe, and yearling button buck. I waited for someone to come and check out the doe, but dark came on with her still solo.

I took a drive today after working until noon, and was walking in with gun in hand around 2:30. By 3:15 I had done a loop of the area, looking for fresh tracks, but the rain overnight had obliterated everything and there was no fresh sign. I decided to sit and glass some of the open country on the walk in where recent brushing had been done. I could hear the excavator working uphill in the distance. I pulled my thermos out of my pack and was just settling in for a wait when I saw a couple of shapes crossing open ground about 300 yards away. Up go the binos and hello deer! I’m packing my .30-30 so I obviously need to get closer, so just grab the Marlin and ease in to the trees once they cross the clearing. I move pretty quickly along the main game trail as I can see fairly well through the trees, and am confident I can ambush them when they come in on that trail. But they don’t come in, so I cut through the timber back out to the cut. No deer. Hmmm, maybe they’re in the depression I can’t see into about 100 yards ahead... back into the trees, up the trail 50 yards to the height of land on this little ridge , back out to the clearing and look into the dip. No deer. I think, shit, they must have gone the other way on the trail. Oh well. I’ll go see if I can find their tracks. So I turn 180 to walk back into the timber and there are two bucks staring at me from about 30 yards away (close to where I had just been). They don’t bolt, and the front one turns his eyes off me, and I shoulder the gun, he looks back and eyes me up looking like he’s saying “ well, go ahead and get it over with”, so boom. He took one step to the side and dropped. One kick of the legs and it was over. The guy behind him gives me a “uh, see ya” look and trots off. He was a two point, but the spike was in front of him, and my freezer is almost empty so I wasn’t going to waste an opportunity trying to get a better hat rack.

My wife was walking the dogs about 2km away and was back with the truck in about 5 mins. The access point to this area of old deactivated roads is gated and usually closed, but today it was open for the guy running the hoe, so she was able to drive right to me. Like you said Caddis, some days you hike until your ready to drop, tracking hard, and playing the game. Other days, like today, it’s a short walk, a tea break, the wind in your favour and an easy shot.

The tasty morsel:

https://i.postimg.cc/DyL6PWm0/1-E14-FCDD-7-D82-43-F8-A4-E9-991-D3497-C3-F4.jpg (https://postimg.cc/RNCwMZ7x)

Oh man I thought this thread was a goner with the access issues, but here we are, Redthies coming through with the BT venison.

Awesome write-up, guessing those are the excavator tracks there. Almost a double header to boot if you desired despite the work noise and such.

I think we're onto something. Forget calls and what not, tea or coffee is the best BT attractant. Pour a warm cup of uppity comfort and they start to show.

Congrats Redthies. Keep it coming BT hunters!

Redthies
11-27-2021, 01:14 AM
Thanks Caddis! Heart for breakfast tomorrow and backstraps for dinner!

I actually had a second mule deer tag in my pocket, but I wasn’t thinking about that at the time. One is enough for my wife and I for the year. I’ll go get that other guy next year when he’s bigger!

Blacktail1
11-27-2021, 08:44 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/J4RMW4qv/AC05142-D-CA21-4-C13-A97-F-4-F7-A346004-CF.jpg (https://postimg.cc/HjvfwmF9)
here is a nice island 2x3 my son got on Wednesday. Made a great shot 250 yards uphill at top of steep slash.

Redthies
11-27-2021, 08:50 AM
Nice deer, and sounds like a nice shot too!

Bubbacanuck
11-27-2021, 08:55 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/J4RMW4qv/AC05142-D-CA21-4-C13-A97-F-4-F7-A346004-CF.jpg (https://postimg.cc/HjvfwmF9)
here is a nice island 2x3 my son got on Wednesday. Made a great shot 250 yards uphill at top of steep slash.

Nice island buck and sounds like a heck of a shot! Congrats to your son

caddisguy
11-28-2021, 12:47 AM

Another one!! Congrats to you and your son and nice shot indeed.

Keep them BT's coming!!

caddisguy
11-28-2021, 12:49 AM
Thanks Caddis! Heart for breakfast tomorrow and backstraps for dinner!

I actually had a second mule deer tag in my pocket, but I wasn’t thinking about that at the time. One is enough for my wife and I for the year. I’ll go get that other guy next year when he’s bigger!

How was it? I've been working at a batch of deer/bear chili over here the last few hours. I always feel like a mad scientist making chili lol

Redthies
11-28-2021, 08:13 AM
How was it? I've been working at a batch of deer/bear chili over here the last few hours. I always feel like a mad scientist making chili lol

We ended up having tenderloin for dinner, and saved the heart for today. I was too busy breaking down the carcass yesterday. I need to get faster/less fussy with that.

https://i.postimg.cc/qvSqjfqc/F0-E0-DC3-E-B0-CB-41-FD-9469-A43845446956.jpg (https://postimg.cc/0zG9yBpr)

https://i.postimg.cc/j2MdfmB7/845-DB963-B7-B2-438-E-8-A0-E-E7-D63080-C211.jpg (https://postimg.cc/xNb2Dxff)

Redthies
11-28-2021, 07:32 PM
And the heart was delicious this morning!

https://i.postimg.cc/MGMPWmZb/0-C66-CDDD-E674-46-BD-8-FFB-2-C82423-D1-A43.jpg (https://postimg.cc/5HJqgvC6)

https://i.postimg.cc/Hxb6MWyr/75-DF3685-A398-440-E-BEE1-6-D2-E487796-D2.jpg (https://postimg.cc/k6XN3mwC)

caddisguy
11-28-2021, 09:31 PM
Delicious looking meals there!

Gordon Ramsey: "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!!"

Considering getting out chasing after one more?

Forks
11-29-2021, 07:14 PM
Anybody know how access is in the valley right now? Was hoping to get out but this flooding has put a damper on things as we all know! Wouldn’t mind a spiker like the one above to get something in the freezer! Good luck for those still going out and most importantly stay safe!

Redthies
11-29-2021, 07:47 PM
Delicious looking meals there!

Gordon Ramsey: "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!!"

Considering getting out chasing after one more?

Thanks CG. My wife is the real chef in the house, but I do ok. I likely won’t go out again, as I’m still butchering this one, and trying to finish my duck boat, and run a business and keep a wife happy, and and and...

I look at it this way: what we don’t shoot this year, will be bigger next year. At least in a perfect world it will be;)

caddisguy
11-29-2021, 10:57 PM
Thanks CG. My wife is the real chef in the house, but I do ok. I likely won’t go out again, as I’m still butchering this one, and trying to finish my duck boat, and run a business and keep a wife happy, and and and...

I look at it this way: what we don’t shoot this year, will be bigger next year. At least in a perfect world it will be;)

I'm probably done for the season too. Sure there are still places to go, maybe take the bow for a walk, but going to rest up this weekend... if I get the itch maybe the next.

So funny enough, I mentioned maybe I see another deer in that pic you posted with the doe, how it looks like a throat patch. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't.

But if I zoom in on the pic I posted in post #46 where have the packs on, I see what looks to be a doe staring right at me lol

Am I crazy and going through hunting withdrawal, looking at random timber pics seeing stuff that isn't there or is this a dang doe staring at me while caddisgirl takes the picture?

https://i.imgur.com/uRtPhUI.jpeg

Bubbacanuck
11-30-2021, 05:31 PM
I'm still hopeful to try for a region BT before the 15th in a safe zone. If the highway re-opens, I wouldn't mind trying for a bow WT as well but that is a lot less likely at this time. Fingers crossed the rain today doesn't knock out highway 3 again...

Redthies
11-30-2021, 07:29 PM
I just got home from Abbotsford and I tell ya, it’s damp outside!

caddisguy
11-30-2021, 08:50 PM
I'm still hopeful to try for a region BT before the 15th in a safe zone. If the highway re-opens, I wouldn't mind trying for a bow WT as well but that is a lot less likely at this time. Fingers crossed the rain today doesn't knock out highway 3 again...

Atta go.

There are still spots so long as the highways are good. Don't even need to drive "closed" FSR's. Might find a place to take the bow for a walk last weekend of the season fairly close to home if I feel like it and it's all safe.

Hope you'll find one and post it up.

Imdone
12-05-2021, 10:27 PM
Out for BTs this afternoon. Saw a group of three does today, a studly thinking Spiker was keeping them busy pushing them around nose to butt. Round and round up and down. Always fun to see.

The big boy didn't show, and the does gave the Spiker no rewards. They're still busy.

caddisguy
12-09-2021, 10:20 PM
Out for BTs this afternoon. Saw a group of three does today, a studly thinking Spiker was keeping them busy pushing them around nose to butt. Round and round up and down. Always fun to see.

The big boy didn't show, and the does gave the Spiker no rewards. They're still busy.

Man you might be the guy to close this one out. Heading out again? I can't access any turf I'm familiar with and too spent for adventure. You heading out again?

upperleftcoaster
12-10-2021, 10:57 AM
I’m going this weekend. Will be wet, hopefully they are moving a bit and not just bedding down with the weather. Last chance!

Bubbacanuck
12-10-2021, 11:36 AM
I did go out last weekend, albeit pretty late in the day. Saw two nice BT does but no bucks. Lots of snow in the higher elevations. May get out this weekend as well for one last hurrah! If not, back up plan is to hammer a limit of ducks

last light
12-10-2021, 02:08 PM
What elevation are people finding black tailed deer at this time of year? Just wondering if they move down with the snow or not? Thanks

Bubbacanuck
12-10-2021, 03:05 PM
What elevation are people finding black tailed deer at this time of year? Just wondering if they move down with the snow or not? Thanks

The does I saw where at the snow line, once i got up higher there was no sign at all...could just be that area though

twoSevenO
12-10-2021, 03:19 PM

all over. Elevation has very little to do with it as far as where you will hunt them during the season. Yes, some of them drop down when the snow piles up, but they are still found from the bottom of the valleys to well above the tree line. That is to say, don't focus too much on elevation - just look for good sign wherever that might be. (From what i gather talking to people and exchanging trail camera pictures - they migrate more for the rut than they do to avoid snow)

i asked this same question to more accomplished blacktail hunters, and that is the answer i received. And they were right.

This year i found an old shed (25+ years) at about 4600ft! I couldn't believe it. Must have been an extra mild winter

caddisguy
12-10-2021, 07:31 PM
pg66 just posted up a BT hunting update that is inspiring and has some good bits of info. I like the way he frames stuff. I'd heard the "whoever moves first in the timber loses", but this "Imagine you know a buck is there 40 yards away and you just can't seem him. how would you move then?" is a good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8rEgSC1XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX8rEgSC1XU

Well, it's the last weekend. To those heading out, be safe and good luck. Looking forward to hearing about your trips and maybe some success stories :)

last light
12-10-2021, 08:30 PM
Thanks to everybody for all the great information. When this thread was first posted beginning of November, I agree things were definitely heating up in the black tail woods. Sign everywhere; rubs, tracks, and actual deer sightings. Now with what I would consider post rut, seems to be the most difficult part of the entire season to even find a doe much less a buck.

I'm not a pro by any means, but have had reasonable success filling tags in September, October, and November over the years, but for some reason have an extremely difficult time connecting in December. Having said that I will still give it my best shot, just going to get out there and keep grinding. Good luck to all for these last 5 days chasing the elusive black tailed buck in region 2. Be safe everyone.....

ccrcc
12-10-2021, 09:13 PM
Had some late season success after a tough, cold, and very wet couple of days. Ended up dropping this guy as he was tending a handful of does (3x3). Road was washed out so it was a very long hike back to the truck.
Good luck all.

https://i.postimg.cc/JhCV5vMm/Screenshot-20211127-185744.png

caddisguy
12-10-2021, 10:08 PM
Had some late season success after a tough, cold, and very wet couple of days. Ended up dropping this guy as he was tending a handful of does (3x3). Road was washed out so it was a very long hike back to the truck.
Good luck all.

https://i.postimg.cc/JhCV5vMm/Screenshot-20211127-185744.png

Way to go! That's some dedication right there and just goes to show the action just keeps going all the way through December.

These pockets of BT's, they do shift around.

To last light, I think if the deer become scarce in spots that are good Sep-Nov, they shifted, maybe same valley, maybe even same mountain, but they're still around. For years I made the mistake of hunting deer where they were vs where they are. For the pocket I've been on these last couple years, I'm still trying to figure out a mid Sep to mid Oct shift. When they're not there, just means they are somewhere else. Gotta take the opportunity to expore and expand your hunting turf.

ccrcc congrats again, that's a lovely 3pt. I bet you'll be feeling the packout a little haha. Worth it though right? Thanks for posting it up here.

Imdone
12-10-2021, 10:25 PM
Very respectable BT ccrcc. Congrats !

Those tougher extractions are what make it more memorable and appreciative of our great outdoors !

Redthies
12-11-2021, 04:20 AM
Beauty buck ccrcc!

Caddis, thanks for the thread. It was a great year for me and my family. Lots of memorable days afield. Still some ducks to be ambushed...

180grainer
12-11-2021, 03:33 PM
That looks like an awesome buck.

last light
12-12-2021, 10:39 PM
Nice buck ccrcc, congrats he's a beauty. Looks like a nice healthy animal to put in the freezer, excellent table fare.

Thanks for the input Caddis. In my area it seems that the deer can be found mid mountain (600 meters) to very high (1200 meters) in September. Then October comes around and they seem to congregate around mid mountain for the pre-rut/rut. Multiple rub lines found at this height, lots of track, as well as doe and fawn sightings.

You are right about hunting them where they are, not where they have been. Hunting fresh sign is key. It just seems like they make a fresh rub line in October/early November and then by November 15 the rub lines are abandoned. No more fresh rubs or tracks. I realize by the lack of sign that the deer seem to have moved on elsewhere, probably not too far either. I just need to find out where that exact spot is. Maybe with a bit of snow coming and a couple days off work I can try to figure out this puzzle. Still got til Wednesday.......

ccrcc
12-13-2021, 12:36 AM
Thanks all. He is a beauty. One of the nicer, bigger bodied ones I have harvested from that area.
In this spot they hang out at snowline, whatever elevation that is. Then get pushed down by snow. Never see them or any tracks in high or super deep snow, too hard to forage for food I suppose.
Then they are on the move, and in a hurry, to the wintering grounds. So I would try to locate the thick shit where they can hide/eat on their way to their winter condos, then throw yer boots in 4low and creeeep.

Bubbacanuck
12-13-2021, 08:03 AM
Was out again this weekend and had lots of traffic and snow. No dice. Oh well, was a great deer season still even though I didn’t get a BT this year. I did manage to get my first mulie so that sort of makes up for it haha.

switched over to waterfowl yesterday but only scratched out one duck. Lots of birds flying but the cold and flooding in the valley has them kinda all over the place.

next week goose opens again, so hoping to get out and smash some birds before Xmas.

Here is to waterfowl and predator hunting until spring bear and turkey opens.

Good luck everyone!