PDA

View Full Version : Flyways.....

Would Rather Be Fishing
10-31-2021, 09:12 AM
Hello,

For the past two weeks I started digging into the topic of "flyways", the major migration corridors, patterns, etc... Super fascinating stuff. Anyone here have any info, material, papers, etc to share? Especially as they relate to Canada (Central and Pacific Flyway)? A lot of the info online is - naturally - very global. I remember someone here posting a while back info on "I see them land here before heading off to X"... Trying to visualize this on a map. Basically looking about more in-depth Canadian resources on the subject...

tundraman
10-31-2021, 02:51 PM
On a somewhat related story, I was hunting yesterday and saw lots of geese flying south and one flock looked different because one side of the v were mostly white the other dark. I put the binoculars up and they were swans and Canadas flying together. Is this normal?

silveragent
10-31-2021, 03:17 PM
Our own government has lots of material if you know how to search for it. Here's a good starting point:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/wildlife-plants-species/migratory-birds.html

silveragent
10-31-2021, 03:17 PM
I've never seen swans flying with geese. Are you sure those weren't snow geese flying with Canadas? That happens

B-rad
10-31-2021, 03:37 PM
iv been studing migration routes around kamloops area for aprox 28-29 years,,,,,have always had an interest in it ever since i went on my 1st duck hunt in my younger years

MichelD
10-31-2021, 04:34 PM
Pretty fascinating to realize that the snow geese here nest and rear their young on Wrangell Island in Russia.

tundraman
10-31-2021, 05:23 PM
I had a good look and I first thought snows also but they were definitely swans. I took a picture but can't tell from it.

Modeltwelve
10-31-2021, 05:49 PM
On a somewhat related story, I was hunting yesterday and saw lots of geese flying south and one flock looked different because one side of the v were mostly white the other dark. I put the binoculars up and they were swans and Canadas flying together. Is this normal?

No it’s not, I’ve never seen that happen and I’ve hunted waterfowl almost fifty years.

tundraman
10-31-2021, 07:02 PM
Just because you never seen it doesn't mean it wasn't. I have hunted waterfowl almost as long and never seen it either until now. I was up around the Gang ranch when I saw it.

lovemywinchester
10-31-2021, 07:34 PM
Meateater on Netflix has a great episode on duck hunting in the midwest US and it talks a bit about the flyways. Check it out.

Modeltwelve
10-31-2021, 07:46 PM
Just because you never seen it doesn't mean it wasn't. I have hunted waterfowl almost as long and never seen it either until now. I was up around the Gang ranch when I saw it.

Take a big step back slick, you asked is it normal and I answered I’ve never seen it. Not interested in pissing match.

silveragent
10-31-2021, 10:15 PM
Pretty fascinating to realize that the snow geese here nest and rear their young on Wrangell Island in Russia.

When people ask why I'll hunt snowies I tell them we need to kill more of them because when they get back to Wrangel they will eat all the top soil and destroy all the vegetation they and all the other birds need to survive the summer. They have prospered too much by feasting on the grasses and crops up and down the Pacific flyway.

tundraman
11-01-2021, 06:31 AM
Sorry about that Modeltwelve, I jumped the gun that one,

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-01-2021, 09:38 AM
Hmmm I came across that page before, but never found anything relevant to the topic... will be digging deeper, thanks...

Our own government has lots of material if you know how to search for it. Here's a good starting point:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/wildlife-plants-species/migratory-birds.html

Would Rather Be Fishing
11-01-2021, 09:38 AM
Yes, very.....

ACB
11-01-2021, 11:18 AM
There are ducks and geese that nest in northern Alaska that migrate to the Eastern US coast. It's fascinating how far these birds go.