PDA

View Full Version : Looking for rattling antlers

jlirot
10-31-2021, 09:06 AM
I can't see spending 50 bucks at Cabelas for plastic antlers!

Anyone here have a couple of sheds they would be willing to part with?

I haven't been very successful finding bucks. I thought I would give 'rattling' a shot. My area has a lot of does and fawns -so I know there are bucks out there!

I'm in Vancouver and travel back and forth to Kamloops every couple of weeks.

Cheers!

RyoTHC
10-31-2021, 12:47 PM
Funny enough I just chopped down all my skulls to find my best set to try to rattle my first buck as well..

if you don’t find any closer to home, let me know next time you go to Kamloops I have some extras, nothing spectacular but better than plastic I’m confident

KBC
10-31-2021, 02:00 PM
I have a single WT shed you can have if you can find another single from someone. I'm in Mission, send me a message if you're interested.

B-rad
10-31-2021, 03:39 PM
if you lived around kamloops area,,,,id have some antlers for you,,,,,choice of whitetail or mulie

IslandWanderer
10-31-2021, 04:01 PM
Do you know anyone in Victoria who'll be headed your way? If so I've got a pair of rattlin' antlers you can have for free. We bought 2 pairs of the smaller type of rattling antlers.

Grizz.325
10-31-2021, 05:25 PM
Rattle bags work great. Rattled in mulie a and whites with mine and some big ones too. A lot nicer to pack around too.

twoSevenO
10-31-2021, 05:28 PM
Rattle bags work great. Rattled in mulie a and whites with mine and some big ones too. A lot nicer to pack around too.

Can confirm. Used a rattle bag (wood kind) for blacktails and was successful.

Never rattled mule deer so can't help there.

Weatherby Fan
10-31-2021, 06:05 PM
Ive called Mulies in with rattling and grunting, right in the heart of the rutt.

lovemywinchester
10-31-2021, 07:19 PM
I wouldn't use anything but my two shed mulie antlers to rattle with. Been using them for years and have had some really good luck with them. Having said that, they are a hassle to pack around. I can fit them in my pack but barely so I attach them to the outside and have had them pulled off by branches. Plus the odd finger injury every year as a reminder that you are smashing bones together. The confidence I get from these antlers is the reason I use them. Every time I use them I expect a buck to come in. The rattle bags are compact and easy to pack around and if these ones break I might give that option a try.

https://i.imgur.com/58HAimTh.jpg

https://illusionsystems.com/products/black-rack-rattling-system?variant=11729421631524

Planer99
10-31-2021, 09:13 PM
How did you rattle that whitetail in with muley rattling antlers? I would have though that deer would know better.

jlirot
10-31-2021, 09:17 PM
How did you rattle that whitetail in with muley rattling antlers? I would have though that deer would know better.

Funny, a friend of mine said she only had MD antlers and wasn't sure they would work for WT. I laughed and told her that if they will come into a bag of sticks - I don't think it would matter which the antlers came from. :-)

Thanks guys! I'll let you know when I head to Kamloops. Not sure if next week or if I'll get roped into a quick business trip next week instead...

lovemywinchester
10-31-2021, 09:33 PM

Just try and sound a little stupider. It's all in my technique.

Pioneerman
10-31-2021, 09:37 PM

You just have to hold your mouth a different way for different species ;-)

igojuone
10-31-2021, 09:41 PM
I've got a pair you can have as well in Kamloops if you can't get ahold of anyone else. They're on the small side but they work.

boxhitch
11-01-2021, 09:25 PM
Rattle bags work great. Rattled in mulie a and whites with mine and some big ones too. A lot nicer to pack around too.chopsticks in a Crown Royal bag

jlirot
11-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Ok. Reviving this because I'm headed up to Kamloops on Thursday to hunt this weekend. I have one shed - I need one more. :-)

I got a Mulie but there's a bunch of whities in my area - I've never seen a buck but lots of does. I've got the spot I want to sit. I just need one more antler. It would be great if it was on the way so I can hunt Thurs evening instead of going into Kamloops (my place is south of Kamloops).

RyoTHC
11-15-2022, 02:33 PM
Coming through Merritt I assume? Pm me, I’ll give you my cell and I’ll get you one on your way through.

how big is your current one? I should be able to match up the size.

jlirot
11-15-2022, 03:27 PM
Ryo:

You rock (as usual). I should hit Merritt early afternoon. I have a 3pt. Size doesn't matter. ;-)

I'm planning to stop at Cabelas to get a grunt.

Cheers!

Coming through Merritt I assume? Pm me, I’ll give you my cell and I’ll get you one on your way through.

how big is your current one? I should be able to match up the size.

KBC
11-15-2022, 09:20 PM
I have an extra as well. I live in Mission if that’s easier. Work in Langley.