PDA

View Full Version : Muley buck??

BULLNUTTS
10-29-2021, 11:48 PM
Here's a question for some of the deer nuts (like me lol).
Have any ever heard a muley buck snort wheeze??? I have spot which traditionally always was mule deer. This sept I followed a herd of buck tracks for several kms to exactly that spot. Most looked like younger bucks with one BIG BIG boy in the lead. And so... I been looking for them, just looking. Glassing and glassing,nothing yet. Other day decided to try using doe can call while hiding.(The previous evening at a different spot watched a 180-195 muley making rubs and feeding then more rubs about one or two hundred yards from three big muley does and a Huge monster way up high standing with herd of does) .
The buck snuck in close,as quiet as he could,to about 65-75 yards. Still couldn't see him. I heard the long Wheeze but not the first part. I made some mistakes after 😢😢 . Anyways I'm just wondering if whities have kicked out the muleys because we used to see mule does all seasons in there ,but this year not one. Lots of questions lol I would just die to have a stand in there but was injured in accident this summer so been toast there. Just watching the area as much as I can hoping to see that big guy. Still......Monster mules can be cagey as heck but darn if it don't ''feel'' like Whities''🎠🎪🎃💥
There's more,lots more, but I'm feelin like I'm rambling here. One last question then- has anyone ever heard or seen big bucks knock single knocks on trees in answering for calls?? Sometimes one,then one,then one,sometimes one two three.I have seen big bull moose post rut do that with antler,instead of raking just knock the rack against solid tree in answer to a cow, but never a buck in answer to a doe .
As always I welcome all input 😎
P.S- Very good reasons for not pursuing the bucks from previous evening. They don't get that big being stupid that's for sure.

Deer_Slayer
10-30-2021, 04:39 PM
I never heard a mulie do the weeze. I have heard whitetails do it though.

BearStump
10-30-2021, 04:48 PM
Never heard a buck do it, but had a mulie doe do it over and over at about 4o yds. I think she actually wanted to fight me. yikes. had does wheeze several times right before they take off. never a buck though.

RyoTHC
10-30-2021, 07:23 PM
Never heard a buck do it, but had a mulie doe do it over and over at about 4o yds. I think she actually wanted to fight me. yikes. had does wheeze several times right before they take off. never a buck though.

had the largest heaviest racked mulie I’ve had the pleasure of laying eyes on tonight, both wheez and grunt at me before it took off like grease lightning.. was rounding one of the higher ridges on a high point came around a corner and he was bedded 15ft away.

Rayne
10-30-2021, 07:25 PM
I’ve been snorted at by a doe. Never a buck but I’m sure they can do it too

Bugle M In
10-30-2021, 07:37 PM
YES...MULE DEER WHEEZ!!
But it does sound a little different to me.
Does not sound exactly like a WT.
Its been a while since it has happened to me, but remember relating it to a raven meets horse kind of sound
(its okay, you can laugh at that interpretation)

But they do!
And by both Doe and buck's

puddlejumper
10-30-2021, 11:50 PM
had the largest heaviest racked mulie I’ve had the pleasure of laying eyes on tonight, both wheez and grunt at me before it took off like grease lightning.. was rounding one of the higher ridges on a high point came around a corner and he was bedded 15ft away.

Yep. Same. Numerous times. i always took it as more of a nose scenting before they turned and got the heck out of dodge.

ACB
10-30-2021, 11:52 PM
Coming into this time of the year I like a grunt tube, never leave home without it. I have never heard a mule deer wheez, but have heard the blowing, blowing through their nose I'm guessing, but I'v heard them grunt lots.

boxhitch
10-31-2021, 05:27 AM
define a wheez. to me it is something more vocal, gutteral
a snort or blow is nasal
MD bucks and does snort, usually in alarm just before they amf

backstrap
10-31-2021, 08:18 AM
Some aggressive grunting and posturing yes, the classic busted blow yes…but never a snort wheeze from a mule deer. Have heard a snort wheeze on occasion with some whitetails but it’s rare. In my opinion it’s an aggressive challenge so it takes the right situation with the right buck for it too work as a call.

BULLNUTTS
10-31-2021, 10:35 AM
Thx folks definitely interesting. I have taken crossbred bucks along the river in the past that were mule deer butt but white tail front,very tasty too . It was an unusual sound. Definitely not a blow out and the buck is still there,confirmed last night. They are still there,but still unidentified for certain. I'm in total disbelief of what I think that I saw,bedded 150 yards from me bedded on the sw face in the buckbrush , catching the afternoon sun. What was thought to be a new rub turned into something looking straight at me with nerves of steele. Three black dots right in the middle below a large ivory sword and a big brown club. Waited till dark watching with the binos as I started the truck there was movement all around that, but it stayed solid and didn't move,I have seen that before too. If it was him....WOW.... Didn't get much sleep last night. Truly, a hope and a dream all in one- even just to have a clear look at him would have me grateful. Will see. On another front- I have gotten word that the new Sendaro 7mm mag is on its way back to prince,repaired from Corlanes. That could change this game as it has the big optics much needed plus the extra punch that my pea shooter doesn't have. Still watching and waiting. Trying not to bump or push. Just another day not seen....he is in position A. Very secure. If they blow? Just a bunch of racket and dust-zero chance of clean shot. Maybe one day there will be a need to stand and stretch = safety off �������� LOL

boxhitch
11-01-2021, 09:48 PM
It happened today, so i say yes, definitely MD will wheeze

Scenario was, I stepped off the road into some regen to follow some fresher looking tracks , wondering wth they could be going.
Snow had some crunch noise to it, so I always cover with a grunt as I walk
Heard the distinct sound of a deer, REAL close! , so I stepped aside to look around a Xmas tree, mistake #1
Deer on the other side, busted out fast, stotting away and down before I could see antlers
I tooted again , trying to instill confidence that I was no threat ;) but he/she/it kept snorting further and further away
Damn! So then, after the last toot, I heard a crunch further left
Looking over my shoulder I saw nose and then eyes and then antlers coming up a side trail
In one smooth motion , rifle was raised , safety off at the exact moment He said AMF and turned away fast
So one deer left, one to the right, all quiet, so I toot again
No response, but did see some movement about 50? yards down through the thick shite
Then about 10? 20? seconds later that distinct wwwhheeezzzzzz
If a grunt is .5 sec. the wheez was 1.5? 2 secs? maybe, longer for sure

Not knowing what the first deer was, and the second being a buck for sure, I don't know which made the sound
was wondering if it was maybe a locater call? as the two were for sure separated bolting in different directions

Funny, in all these years, first time ever to hear that call/sound, just after this thread came up :)

boxhitch
11-01-2021, 09:54 PM
Thats what hunting the thick is all about, luvin it
Yesterday I thought I had it made, things were about to come together, couldn't see shite through the limbs, rifle up safety off
and out steps the largest Shiraz I have ever seen
un believable how silent these guys can be when the want, other times they sound like a train off the tracks

Thx folks definitely interesting. I have taken crossbred bucks along the river in the past that were mule deer butt but white tail front,very tasty too . It was an unusual sound. Definitely not a blow out and the buck is still there,confirmed last night. They are still there,but still unidentified for certain. I'm in total disbelief of what I think that I saw,bedded 150 yards from me bedded on the sw face in the buckbrush , catching the afternoon sun. What was thought to be a new rub turned into something looking straight at me with nerves of steele. Three black dots right in the middle below a large ivory sword and a big brown club. Waited till dark watching with the binos as I started the truck there was movement all around that, but it stayed solid and didn't move,I have seen that before too. If it was him....WOW.... Didn't get much sleep last night. Truly, a hope and a dream all in one- even just to have a clear look at him would have me grateful. Will see. On another front- I have gotten word that the new Sendaro 7mm mag is on its way back to prince,repaired from Corlanes. That could change this game as it has the big optics much needed plus the extra punch that my pea shooter doesn't have. Still watching and waiting. Trying not to bump or push. Just another day not seen....he is in position A. Very secure. If they blow? Just a bunch of racket and dust-zero chance of clean shot. Maybe one day there will be a need to stand and stretch = safety off �������� LOL

604Stalker
11-01-2021, 11:40 PM
Snort wheeze is game over they are rutting eairly and if you heard it its deer speak for fuuuuuuuuuuuuu... Welp you know how it is ... Adjust you need to move if you got called out like this .. Wt x2 mulies 3 times now when they make the group theres definetly eyes and.if your busted you need to stop map drainages and hills take lots of windage and circle they wont be back in my exoerience atleast thats them saying HEYYYY!

BULLNUTTS
11-02-2021, 04:58 AM
There's so many sounds all the critters make, also as box says to the sounds they don't make. I to find it amazing that very large animals like bull moose and bull elk can move through thick cover almost silently. Another is large mature bear - I have seen some that can virtually disappear with no sign to follow on soft ground,wow. Of note is that this critters ''position A'' area holds moose,elk,deer and the occasional big bear too. Very game rich and they are there but are rarely seen due to the prime habitat,just lay down almost anywhere and their gone works great.
When back yesterday for quick evening looksee.I decided to back off from my usual spot to 543yards aprox.this allowed me to see all of the hill - the only place that you can by the way. Spotted was a very large chocolate colored rack,very circular in shape. Looked very thick. The owner was bedded in that thick crap. Also found new huge rub from maybe a larger bull moose. As light was fading on my way out I gave few short 'bothered cow' calls and was immediately answered with antler raking. Cool but not what looking for. Now I been studying the area looking for a permanent tree nest that would be out of sight. The bear that occasions the area is very large and sitting on the ground is visually impaired. Would be nice to have several tree nests in different areas to hunt.����

Just
11-02-2021, 05:21 AM
Was sneaking into a spot and both times I got busted before I could see the deer. But I Hurd a snort wheeze and the bounces following it! First time ever this year hearing that! Was in thick timber on a game trail. Tried coming at it from two different ways and got the snort wheeze both times. I like your tree stand idea!

BULLNUTTS
11-02-2021, 07:39 AM
Rt on I really likes the tree nesting idea too!! Things is though is its a bit of work and money lil to and one must find right situation with trees for it. Can be hard to find that. Lots spots but no place for nest. I'm bigger guy so the self climbers are out. I'm trying to searching game rich areas then try to find the ideal set ups for nests that will be good for years to come. Lots of strategies that can work well when hunting from such nests are very appealing to, that's like a whole other thread lol I actually been thinking bout that and sharing some secrets with hopes others will to and give the younger sportsman some pearls whilst us ol'timers stay warm and dry. Everyone enjoys to seeing game while out. This is one way I really like. Mostly they don't ever know your there. Filming,viewing ect and the gun can be sitting on the beanbag or even in a leadsled lol. I've seen some very elaborate tree nests lol Amazing the length some will go in creature comforts!! Like ice fishing huts in the trees. Even the lazyboys up there lol Some I found in middle of nowhere with locked trapdoor and no ladder to get to it??? Another Was camouflaged so well took year and half to find again(was one of the best built stands I ever seen). Definitely a lots of skills can apply and a whole lot of satisfaction when successfully accomplished ������