PDA

View Full Version : No hunting yet ?

Arctic Lake
10-29-2021, 08:46 AM
Who has not been out hunting yet and why ? Want to see if I’m not the only fella !
Arctic Lake

ghost
10-29-2021, 08:49 AM
only a half day a couple weeks ago. to much kids activities

Drillbit
10-29-2021, 08:50 AM
Been too busy with Kids hockey firewood fundraiser. It has been everyday

Taking the boys out Sunday tho for last day of any buck here. Hopefully we have some luck!

Mulehahn
10-29-2021, 08:57 AM
To much work to do on my property. This year's fires made me finally get into overdrive. I was just puttering until now because I have nothing on the land but I started looking and realized I liked those old spruce and firs. Getting rid of the deadfall.

That being said, there is quite a few grouse around this year and some that don't get off the driveway fast have made it into the pot.

Arctic Lake
10-29-2021, 09:02 AM
Me , work and hunting buddy I went with last year can’t go this year . Other buddy lives in Vanderhoof and not sure I want to drive that far for deer
Arctic Lake

BCHunterFSJ
10-29-2021, 09:17 AM
My wife fell and broke her hip. I have become nurse, cook, gardener, house cleaner, banker etc.
As a result, have missed the elk and moose seasons!
Will hopefully be able to get away for a few deer hunts...

chris
10-29-2021, 09:21 AM
I have gone out just a couple mornings so far. I'm building a house and have zero free time. Hopefully have it heated by November so I can take a break and get out for rutting bucks.

todbartell
10-29-2021, 09:35 AM
I've only hunted about 30 days in the last 2 months

russm
10-29-2021, 09:41 AM
Excuses, wife and I have been busy selling our place and getting a place in the Okanagan since summer and I still managed to tag my mulie for the year.

Bubbacanuck
10-29-2021, 09:51 AM
Made the mistake of using two weeks of vacation Sept 1-10 to chase elk in the bow only season. Took a bunch of my time up and came home empty handed, but still a great experience.
Been on a couple duck hunts in the mornings and came home with limits. Went out last Saturday for a day hunt and came home with a mule deer.
Next weekend I have Nov 5-8 off to chase blacktails.
Not as much time out as I would like but at least I've been out.

j270wsm
10-29-2021, 10:32 AM
My wife fell and broke her hip. I have become nurse, cook, gardener, house cleaner, banker etc.
As a result, have missed the elk and moose seasons!
Will hopefully be able to get away for a few deer hunts...

that sucks, hopefully she fully recovers.

I went out with a few other hbc members at the start of sept and have taken my son out a few times. I don’t have tags so I was just out for the fun and hoping for an encounter with a wolf. This is the second yr I have decided to not hunt elk due to low numbers. November will be here by my next days off so i will purchase a white tail tag and start heading south to find a buck.

adriaticum
10-29-2021, 10:46 AM
I've been out for a week only in September.
Busy with work, home renos.
I might venture out for some BT in November.

boxhitch
10-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Time to get serious now, leaves are down, snow on the ground, cool temps for hanging, anybuck is closing so traffic will be down
my time of year

SeaScene
10-29-2021, 11:06 AM
Not hunting except wolves. Typically only hunt BT's. However I will not hunt BT's until more is known about this AHD virus which is killing deer within sight of my place. I put one down myself and contacted the Wildlife Rescure about it. They are worried. The symptons horrific. The virus a very recent arrival from California due to warming habitat here. A BT can look healthy until the nasty sets in. I have seen it personally upclose and will not hunt. Very little concern here on HBC ...it seems.

RyoTHC
10-29-2021, 11:28 AM
Hunted 21 days in a row up north in September got two deer and haven’t been out since.
Going to take the wife out both days this weekend to get a mule buck and I have the next two weeks off to go chase white tail bucks.

Jagermeister
10-29-2021, 12:12 PM
Went out for a day with a friend. Good thing that I didn't see the biggest buck of my life because I would not have been able to shoot him.

fuzzybiscuit
10-29-2021, 12:31 PM
14 days spread out over the last 2-1/2 months for me. Helped a buddy get his first bull moose and my nephew get his first bull moose. Shot 2 Wolves myself.

My late season bull moose tag opens up in a couple days. I don’t have much freezer room but I’m taking a buddy out who also has a late season bull moose tag to see if I can get him into his first bull. It’s been mild so the rivers are still ice free up here. Could end in a hat-trick of firsts this year.

Citori54
10-29-2021, 12:34 PM
A week before our annual moose trip my Father-in-Law passed away so that ended my trip.It's agony getting regular texts from my hunting group, but there are some things more important than hunting, not many but some:-(

The Hermit
10-29-2021, 01:37 PM
Had three nice moose/elk/caribou trips planned this year and had to cancel all of them due to health issues. A fourth trip was cancelled due to my partner's elderly mother breaking her hip a couple days before we were to leave. So looks like I will get out a few days locally in the next few weeks on local farms, and maybe a drive-about for bears. Yeah I'm still bummed out having to miss those trips!

dru88
10-29-2021, 01:42 PM
Got out for the canada goose opener and got 2 and been out a couple of times for ducks.Hopefully I can get out next weekend for deer.

Bugle M In
10-29-2021, 02:33 PM
Did get away once.
But, i have to be honest, the price of gas/diesel has definitely put a damper on long haul trips.
Certainly reconsidering the future of some future trips and if they will happen.
Not cheap anymore.
No more "hey, lets hit Merritt".
Those days of 3 guys, 20$ each for 3 tanks of fuel, there back and hunting, are long gone.
Getting cheaper to go hang out in Mexico!

Fella
10-29-2021, 02:38 PM
9 days at the end of September.
heading out for the morning on Sunday. Have a solo weekender planned mid November.

Sitkaspruce
10-29-2021, 06:57 PM
The wife spent the last two weeks of July and most of August working on the fires, so we had to cancel our holidays for that time. We spent the first week of September in Jasper and I chased elk with the camera.

Spent three days chasing moose and dodging trees in Oct with 70-90k winds all three days. Still saw a cow and two bulls but no shooters.

Have now focused on whitetails and have been setting up blinds and cameras and fake scrapes. Will be out checking everything tomorrow. Taking a week off in November to see if I can find a buck.

Good luck all and try to find sometime, life is too short not to be hunting!

Cheers

SS

savage10
10-29-2021, 08:35 PM
Did a couple days trips so far around Tulameen. Heading up to quesnel with the girlfriend next week for a few days of full on hunting and hopefully cut a couple tags!

elimsprint
10-29-2021, 09:33 PM
I've been doing a lot of scouting and have been seeing a few bucks

Here's a handsome young fellow
https://i.imgur.com/g1K9HxR.jpg

His bigger buddy
https://i.imgur.com/ly5aW8y.jpg

Maybe I'll see a bigger one if I look out the window!
https://i.imgur.com/tQtEEQ3.jpg

Blacktail1
10-29-2021, 10:01 PM
Been out three times , but that’s about to change. Hunting is no different than fishing, fish the tides or your just burning fuel, same applies to rut.

Norwestalta
10-30-2021, 04:41 AM
12 hr days 6 days a week doesn't leave much time but I've got till Dec 20 for my cow elk tag so I'm not to worried. The nice thing is that going to work in the dark and home in the dark I have no idea what's out there for animals

igojuone
10-30-2021, 07:44 AM
Started a new business 1 year ago and very busy, which is good, still trying to find a rhythm so I'm not working weekends. Still hope to get out before it's too late to at least get a deer and some grouse.

Norwestalta
10-30-2021, 09:19 AM
Started a new business 1 year ago and very busy, which is good, still trying to find a rhythm so I'm not working weekends. Still hope to get out before it's too late to at least get a deer and some grouse.

All the best in the new business venture and good luck hunting.

Salty
10-30-2021, 11:11 AM
I lost my dear mother in August. With that and associated things needing done and the memorial in September, September was a complete bust for hunting except for a day or two right at the end. My dog is now just getting over a bizarre case of anaphylaxis, extreme swelling of her head, nose and ears. Had to keep a close eye, steroids for the win on that one, all but cleared up now.

So hunting for me has taken a kick in the nuts this year to be sure. I've made it out 3 or 4 times with my buddy from up country, he's been going through a big move and had little time either. I've made it out 6 or 8 times myself as well. Grouse hunting has been as good as I've ever seen. The summer drought/fire season has thrown a big wrench into my usual deer hunting prowess. Although said prowess is only 5 years of experience hunting new to me areas since I've lived here. Most of the spots I've frequented in R3 and 2 don't even have any sign. Have found a couple areas on the plateau with very fresh sign but still, haven't seen a single deer since August. Looking forward to November. Should be able to get out a lot more touch wood and its usually been the most productive time of the season for me being basically just a deer hunter.

bentwrench
10-30-2021, 02:21 PM
Who has not been out hunting yet and why ? Want to see if I’m not the only fella !
Arctic Lake

Been out scouting a few times, got all new gear
Just been to dang lazy to get out there and actually
Bring something home. Lol. Lazyness keeps me at home.

igojuone
10-31-2021, 07:56 AM
All the best in the new business venture and good luck hunting.

Well thank you and good luck on that cow elk tag. Is that up in 7b?

Norwestalta
10-31-2021, 08:15 AM
Well thank you and good luck on that cow elk tag. Is that up in 7b?

On the alberta side. Day off today and had a dozen whitetail and 2 moose just a chip shot outside the kitchen window. A lot of temptation but zero motivation. Instead I think I'll shoot some magpies that are getting fat eating my dogs food.

Would Rather Be Fishing
10-31-2021, 09:14 AM
Honestly.... whole family has been sick on-and-off since September... Cough, runny noses that won't go away. Comes and goes in waves. Either I cough to teh point where hunting becomes impossible or I am good and can't leave the wife with two kids... This year blows health-wise