PDA

View Full Version : Camp robbers

ribber
11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Some friends of mine just got back from a hunt near Hanceville/ Fletcher Lake, minus a lot of gear. Seems that they were vistied by locals that stole their gas cans,booze , chocolate bars , cough drops etc, also a new Honda generator and all ther ropes ,tarps,.axes etc. This story was repeated by different folks from a different place as well ,seems both camps lost their stuff. Maybe best to leave a guard behind and don't bait them with Lucky and Kraft Dinner!!!!!! Keep ypur eyes open out there.

mtnmax
11-12-2007, 04:39 PM
SOB's,,,,theres no place for people like that,,,,carma will get them

Awishanew
11-12-2007, 04:48 PM
A few years ago I lost (for a while) my canoe and paddles. It was just by the lake we were moose hunting and nobody around. They left our life jacket that had our name on them. We talked it over and thought it was realy gutsy to come in and steal it and figured they would have ditched it and would come back after we left. We searched the bush and found it upside down 200 yds. away and covered with brush. A close call.

todbartell
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
*******s stole the cough drops!

scoot
11-12-2007, 04:57 PM
It sure would be interesting to run into someone in the process if raiding a camp. It has so much more to do with principle and often so little do with monetary value.

Clam
11-12-2007, 05:08 PM
How did they determine it was "locals"?
What did the RCMP say when the victims reported it?
Sadly, I don't believe that there is much that one could legally do if one did catch some slimebag stealing from one's camp. Forget the wildwest fantasies, this is Canada in 2007:roll:.

Sharkey
11-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Would make investing in a trail cam well worth it. You could get a license plate # and some faces to look for... That sucks. Sorry to hear that. Buggers anyhow...
~D

calvin L
11-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I am sure the sob's would most likely fall down ;) more than twice as they tried to get away .

srupp
11-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Ribber..it comes as NO surprise to me of this "incident" and THAT location ..I have been there countless times at Fletcher...

Makes COMPLETE sense both WHAT and WHERE..

Steven

hunter1947
11-12-2007, 05:52 PM
That sucks ,i now how your friend fells ,i had the same thing happen to me years back ,but in my case they also stolid my deer that was hanging up ,after i spent 2hr dragging it up a steep golly. They sure have got the nerve ,i wouldn't want to fin them doing that thing when i came into camp ,you don't know what they might do. Sorry to hear your friends lose. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

The Hermit
11-12-2007, 08:01 PM
I like the idea of the trail camera! Problem is I ain't no fighter so even if I caught them not sure what I could do besides holding them at gun point till the cops arrive. I believe that once you touch them on the shoulder and say "you are under arrest" that they can't legally leave until the cops arrive and that you can use reasonable force to detain them. Think shooting them in the leg would be okay? <wink>

whitetailsheds
11-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Huh...what about never actually seeing them anywhere near your camp. You're out in the bush.....there are no witnesses......lotsa country out there...."Nope, never saw those guys out here"

Creeker
11-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Exactly,
Coyote bait....

mud-dog27
11-13-2007, 01:03 AM
hard to say what id do although im sure they'd be leaving minus a few teeth and a few extra bruises or just shit kick em and take em up and dump them in the bush let em walk out....like someone said it is canada you'd get what maybe(if any thing) a couple months community service if its your first offence and seriously what are they gunna say the guy caught me steallin his shit and he decided to shit kick me:smile:

i say deal with em how ya see fit cause the law sure wont plus im sure the law wouldnt care either if ya explained the circumstances

Eichelherr
11-13-2007, 01:17 AM
9/10 it'll be on the reserve down the road, just because there's no one else out there, who would be bored enough to do something like that
________
extreme q (http://extremevaporizer.info)

Wildman
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Leg hold traps!!!! Too bad, what a piss off.

Phreddy
11-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Our local poacher with attitude set his new tent, etc, up across the only access rd into one of our prime elk areas last year then headed back into town to pick up some dope or something.
When he got back, someone had ripped everything off. Needless to say, he got an appropriate amount of local sympathy. ;-)

BlacktailStalker
11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah I'd hate to walk in on a guy raiding my camp, then I'd be really tired after a 2 week hunt, packing game out of the bush and packing a person into the bush.
Hopefully he isnt so fat that I'd have to quarter him :):)

Derek_Erickson
11-13-2007, 05:43 PM
they must've been going ape shit

abbyfireguy
11-13-2007, 07:11 PM
A few years back I had thieves steal my fuel cans(4) which I found 5 k's down the road empty......Darn it if I didn't find a nice Chevy 4x4 a few k's further that wouldn't run after having diesel dumped into its GAS tank......
Now that was justice......
Needless to say the RCMP didn't have far to go to find the pricks...
At least I got my cans back..

happygilmore
11-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I hope their truck wasn't vanadlized while they were walking out. that would have been sad.

Stresd
11-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Sorry to hear about your friends loss.
I was in the same area, just a few miles up the road from Fletcher Lake this weekend. Only met two other hunting parties (Besides the Guide & his group). Have been hunting there for over 35 years and never had anything swiped. It would have been mentioned if any of the other parties had got hit.
On another note, This may save someone else a $265.00 fine and the loss of their game. On the way out we went the 2200 Rd to Gang route and who do we meet just before we hit the tableland above the Ranch. A CO with a CO trainy. First time in ten years that I have seen a CO anywhere in that country. And the ten years ago is when we radio'd them to come out about some native pitlampers. Quite a story to that,but I digress. The Moose was in my truck (the lead vehicle) but the shooter was in the truck right behind. This I found out from the CO constitutes an infraction if I did not have a "record of receipt for transporting wildlife" from the shooter. I could be fined and the moose could be seized. I was informed this at least four times during our conversation. This we did not have as I thought this was only needed when shipping game home with someone else . Really Nice guys though, and just explained to us on how to cross the T's and dot the I's, checked for the ballsack on the Bull and sent us on our way. Nice easy form to fill out on page 77 of the regs. Still think it is nitpicking when the shooter is in the vehicle behind you, but apparantly this is the law. Really glad to see them out and about in the bush though. Just wish there were more out there and maybe your friends stuff wouldn't have gone bye bye.

srupp
11-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Actually the CO'S spend a considerable amount of time in that area..and yes for the most part they seem to be a reasonable crew here..

Steven

Jagermeister
11-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Isn't that the Chilcotin Triangle, Alexis Creek, Redstone, Fletcher Lake? It's the law of the land, it's free if there is no one there claiming ownership.
And if you think that putting your hand on the shoulder of one of the "locals" and telling him he is under arrest and will have to wait for the police, you better think again. You don't want to end up like that rancher and his wife when they happened on one of the "locals" skinning out one of their cows. Both were shot in the back, she managed to escape but later died in hospital, not before telling who had shot her. Took the police better than 6 months to ferret the shooter out of the Redstone community.
If a vehicle is stolen in WlmsLk, 9 times out of 10 it will be found in the vicinity of Alexis Creek. Hell, if a vehicle is stolen in PG, Quesnel or 100Mile House, chances are it's found somewhere near Alexis Creek, usually burnt out.

Elkhound
11-15-2007, 10:09 AM
yup....tough area. a couple years ago we had our camp trashed, but nothing taken.:evil:

mrdoog
11-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Not even your cough drops?

Scottish Warrior
11-15-2007, 11:08 AM
A few years back I had thieves steal my fuel cans(4) which I found 5 k's down the road empty......Darn it if I didn't find a nice Chevy 4x4 a few k's further that wouldn't run after having diesel dumped into its GAS tank......
Now that was justice......
Needless to say the RCMP didn't have far to go to find the pricks...
At least I got my cans back..

That's awesome! If it where me I'm not too sure the RCMP would have been called.

MRBucks
11-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Off with there heads!...I wish..

As good as it sounds, to dole out some redneck justice, I think that it could backfire on you. The courts take a dim view of beating the crap out of someone, even some skanky camp robber. Chances are they would be walking free sooner than you would, to say nothing of the possible retribution, there "brothers" may want to do for pay back. The biggest rip off would be the cost of hiring a lawyer to fight your case, probably way more than what goods may have been attempted to steal. Sad but true.

Arresting the person, may involve "getting tough" to hold them, so a few well placed kicks may settle them down, and give one some minor satisfaction! You can use force to hold somebody you arrested, but it has to be considered equal to the resistance they offered. If they are unarmed, I think even holding them at gun point may backfire on you, although as long as no shots were fired, you would likely find that part of the attending officers report left out of it. Best to hog tie them, and just keep a big stick handy.

I had to do a "citizen arrest" once, and other than holding them in a half nelson, to stop them from running away, I never took a swing, or a kick at them, and the cops had no problem with what I did. The individual actually had to, and did pay me, for the damage they caused, and were convicted, although no time served.:roll:

It should be said that "everything" in your camp should be marked with your name in big letters, tarps, gas cans, axes, etc. Things like generators, ATV's, canoe paddles, should also have obvious ID marked on them. Chances are good that if it was locals that ripped you off, the local cops would have an idea where to start to look, and the obvious markings may solve the case, and get your stuff back. Or it may not be taken in the first place!

I never would have thought of marking a box of cough drops mind you....:-) :roll:

MEATMAN30_06
11-15-2007, 11:27 AM
It would be great to walk in on something like that.because we all no that hunting acidents happen every year!

youngbuck
11-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Ran into the COs in Empire Valley this past weekend.
They were quite nice and friendly.
We were video taped as they drove up on us.
This was the first time that happened.
Although, they would not let me get my formal/dressy hunting gear on before they taped me:tongue:.

smokey
11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
i've had my deer stolen from my camp once,was only gone 15 min's at the most,give my brother a call on the cell phone who was coming back from town told him to block the only way off the mountain and then radioed the rest of the camp crew to have a meeting at the bottom of the hill,sure anuff my bro got them and having 8 guys around them,we had fun time,we took their truck for a joy ride on some hills lol,and use their scopes for target pratice,word of advice never i mean never steal in the bush because no one going to help you and your five finger discount

TRIPALM
11-15-2007, 07:00 PM
My Grampa, my dad and I were the ones that had their stuff stolen while we were out hunting. Our friend Joe was down the road about 2 klm on a side road checking out a swamp and saw a white older chevy/gmc with no muffler go by and about 25 minutes later came back and headed down the 2400 rd towards Hanceville. When we came back for lunch around 12:00 we then realized what had happened. Good news we got our moose and 2 deer and four grouse. Things will never be the same .

25hunter
11-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Hmmm, I've been hunting that area for a number of years including this year, (missed a chance on a big bull:icon_frow) I never gave much thought about theives. We generally don't leave much outside, though I have been forgetful here and there. I guess with this in mind, any future visits will mean nothing of value is left behind at camp including in the trailer. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Nooker77
11-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Well we where robbed about 7 years ago and the cops told me..."OFF THE RECORD" if they where to have an accident and fall down hard a few times after we caught it would be a crooks word against ours....food for thought...hmmm...I was thinking a long ride into the middle of no where with no boots and have a nice walk asshole!!! lol

BRrooster
12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Ribber is a good friend of mine and we've been huntin together for years.
We've been fortunate to not have had any problems in our camp. Actually
I've not heard of any crap happening in the Okanogan area from my
friends here.
I was just thinking...why not keep one gas can with a gallon of water and gas mixture in it around . That would put a screw into the works for the
buggers.
brooster

ruger#1
12-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Better yet one gas can half full of salt water. They should have a nice mech bill.

wolverine
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Some friends of mine just got back from a hunt near Hanceville/ Fletcher Lake, minus a lot of gear. Seems that they were vistied by locals that stole their gas cans,booze , chocolate bars , cough drops etc, also a new Honda generator and all ther ropes ,tarps,.axes etc. This story was repeated by different folks from a different place as well ,seems both camps lost their stuff. Maybe best to leave a guard behind and don't bait them with Lucky and Kraft Dinner!!!!!! Keep ypur eyes open out there.

Wasn't this posted a long time ago, I seem to remember something about the stolen cough drops. No matter, even if it was, you gotta be low to be a camp theif and you deserve the beating you're likely to get if you get caught.

SUAFOYT
12-13-2007, 08:09 PM
I find that a bit of redneck justice is the best way to deal with these types. A little slap on the wrist from the cops won't teach them anything, but a good old fashion ass-whuppin will make them think twice next time!

Agreed. We had a problem on a fishing trip in Ucluelet at a campsite. We just happened to have an empty Canadian Club bottle, so one of our group volunteered to leave a bladder deposit in the bottle. Left it out on the picnic table and it was gone in the morning. Sure hope he tried it "neat."

Creeker
12-13-2007, 09:54 PM
Thats awesome!!!

Will
12-13-2007, 10:09 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm.....what to do with filthy Scumbags out in the bush ?

http://www.homegardenandpatio.com/images/blish/2612802.jpg:wink:

TIKA 300
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Agreed. We had a problem on a fishing trip in Ucluelet at a campsite. We just happened to have an empty Canadian Club bottle, so one of our group volunteered to leave a bladder deposit in the bottle. Left it out on the picnic table and it was gone in the morning. Sure hope he tried it "neat."

Thats just hilarious LOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!!!

scottgreen
12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
if I found someone raiding my camp, I can't say 100% I wouldn't fly some lead in the right direction, not at the people but maybe their trucks, tires, maybe doors etc....screw them over as they were right about to you to you :)

sawmill
12-14-2007, 05:12 PM
12 gauge set gun works pretty good.