PDA

View Full Version : River Buck!!

cowboy-up69
11-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Well it started with Corey (kishman) comin through princeton on friday night picking me up after I got off work to head to Christina Lake. Got everything loaded and we ended up leaving about 3:30 and gettin to Christina 6:30-7. Found our motel and got everything settled in. Went and had some dinner and then we went back to the motel and had a few drinks and figured out where we were headin in the mornin. We ended up getting to the area we planned to hunt about 15 minutes late. Right away he dropped me off on a small road and I began to walk in, while he drove down more and parked the truck. Right away in the first 15 minutes I saw about 10 whitetails, I couldnt get a good look at them because they were all on the run. I decided to sit and grunt for a bit, so I did and in the distance I could hear some bucks fightin, got me a little excited!!! Then it calmed down quite a bit and so I decided to walk down the road some more. Just get back onto the road and a small whitetailed buck ran off into the trees! DAMN! So I walked down more, not seeing much, except a dog ran out into a clearing so I was standing still and an older couple came down the road, out for a morning jog, with 1 more dog. They stopped and chatted for a few minutes, told me about 2 more whitey bucks they saw a few minutes earlier. They seemed like nice people, except they were yelling when I was talking to them, probably trying to scare all the deer away!!! lol. So they continued on their way, and I did too, not seeing much at all, except them running behind me again. So They passed by and I jus took my time, trying to meet up with Corey. I mosied (sp) on down then road and just took my time, not seeing much at all, except a couple turkeys. Then I made the decision on walking off the road a bit and try to find an area where I can sit and hopefully something walks in on me. I got off about 75 yards and I spotted a BIG white ass and tail in front of me bouncing away about 60 yards infront of me. I hunkered down to get a good look but he dissapeared. I walked up another 20-30 yards and there he was again looking at me through the brush. I got down on one knee scoped him out and I saw he had a rack so I decided to take him, but too much brush in the way. I found a nice clear shooting lane but he would have to walk forward about 10 feet. We stared at each other for about 5 minutes and then he decided to walk, as soon as he stepped into clear view I let him have it! He dropped on the spot and as soon as he did I got on the radio to tell Corey I got one. We chatted for a few minutes on the radio, trying to give him the directions to the buck. I walked up to him and got about 15-20 yards from him and he looked dead as can be, not even moving, then god damnit, the buck got up and ran away! I told Corey on the radio that the buck took off and to keep and eye out for him. I got up to where he was and saw MASSIVE amounts of blood and bone! Followed the blood trail and I would get about 50 yards down the trail, and the buck would get up and run another 50 yards then bed back down. So I slowed down alot, and finally Corey said he was gunna be at the road in a sec so I started my way to the road, and then the buck got up again and took off! I could not belive it. So I met Corey and we waited a bit and decided to go look for him. Found the last of the blood trail, couldnt find any more so we were just searching around for him, no luck for about an hour, then we met back at the truck. Took a break for a few minutes and Corey mentioned that he saw fresh tracks going across the road, so I went to check it out. Sure enough I saw LOTS of blood on this trail down tot he river, so I yelled to Corey to grab the rifles and to follow me. So down he comes with the 300 win mag and the 270 WSM. He went down this trail to the river side, and I kept following this trail on the sidehill. All of a sudden, BOOM! I look over and hes on one knee. "hes over there!!!!" I look and he was in the middle of the river, trying to get across it. His shot missed, and then BOOM again, dropped the wounded deer in the middle of the river. WE both re-grouped and met right beside the river, trying to decided how we were gunna get the buck and get it back across the river. The buck got hung up on a big rock in the middle of the river, (thats why we call it "River Buck") in about 3 feet of water. We both had a breather for about 10-15 minutes, then stripped down to our long johns and walked out to the buck and roped it, and floated it back over to the right side of the river. We took lots of pictures. It turned out to be a nice little 4 pt whitetailed buck, only about 18 inches wide, just a small little guy. My first whitetail, and Im pretty happy about it!!!! It turned out my first shot hit it in the right front shoulder, blew it apart but didnt manage to go through to the other shoulder, its possble I hit a small invisible branch on the way to the deer and re-routed the bullet and didnt cause much damage, thats why it was able to live and hop around for a couple hours before we found it. After we got it gutted, we drug it over to the huge hilll, hooked up about 125 feet of rope, and Corey was up in the truck, and I was following the buck as he backed up and drug it up the hill. We had to stop twice to re-hook up to the buck cause Corey didnt have much room to back up in one go. All in all it was a GREAT trip, best huntin trip I ever had, got my first Whitetail buck EVER! And Im pretty excited!! I took lots of pictures with my cell phone, but something is wrong with the service and I am unable to send them to my email, so Im pretty pissed off about that, but Corey got some pictures and when he gets home, he will put them on.
Well thats our story, Corey, if you have more to add go for it!!! I probly have forgotten some details, but Im tired and my mom wants to headback to Princeton. Hopefully we will have some pics on in a day or two!!!

GrizGuy92
11-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Sounds like quite the adventure! Can't wait to see the pics!

scoot
11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
That's a sweet story. Sounds like some good times for sure. Just shows you never know what that animal will do when the trigger is pulled. Did you buddy end up getting a buck?

cowboy-up69
11-12-2007, 12:42 PM
No, we didnt see any deer at all, except turkeys, aftre I got my buck, except today we saw 1 whitey, couldnt tell if it was a buck or not, but we were 99% sure it was a buck!

WoodOx
11-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Congrats, sounds like a funhunt.

Ive heard similar things about Christina before. Particularily that if you dont catch the deer (both whites and mulies) moving through at cartain times, it can be seemingly dead. Doesnt make much sense, as its gorgeous country and good habitat. Just what ive been told!

Will
11-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Congrats......glad it worked out in the end :cool:

Chuck
11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Good story! Typical brush busting whitetail hunting like running around in circles and never getting a clear shot. This morning and all day it's miserable dark and wet around 4-8 and 4-9, just perfect for harassing those whiteys.
Up the Granby in 8-15 or just up outta Christina lake. They are really busy right now chasing the does and a good time to fill the tag imo.

Wildfoot
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow! What an adventure! Congrats and thanks for sharing

hunter1947
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Good for you cowboy ,pic will be cool to look at ,PS good story as well. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

fozzy
11-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Congrats on the first Whitetail, thanks for the story.

Something the bow hunters do if they wound a deer is to let it be for an hour or so, sometimes even over night. As your did they will bed down and either bleed out or seize up enough that they can't run. If you follow them you'd be amazed what they can do with adrenaline. Just food for thought for next time :)

Glad you were able to track it and retreive it.

cowboy-up69
11-12-2007, 08:59 PM
Congrats on the first Whitetail, thanks for the story.

Something the bow hunters do if they wound a deer is to let it be for an hour or so, sometimes even over night. As your did they will bed down and either bleed out or seize up enough that they can't run. If you follow them you'd be amazed what they can do with adrenaline. Just food for thought for next time :)

Glad you were able to track it and retreive it.

Thanks for the tip! We both learned that that day! Oh well, it was a very fun day, and hopefully Kishman comes on here soon to upload the pics that he got with his camera. Im having big troubles with the cell phone company right now, they are not letting me upload the pics onto the net, and I got some good pics with it! Very P***** off about it!
Oh, and I went through a HUGE game check just coming into Osoyoos with my mom on the way home! The CO I had was really nice to me, and didnt have any problems at all! They had LOTS of ppl pulled over, writing tickets and so on, sucks to be them!!!

boxhitch
11-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Good follow-up. Atta go, guys. The best lessons are the hard ones.