PDA

View Full Version : Pitt Lake Elk - possible cancellation of LEH

browningboy
10-24-2021, 11:49 AM
Okay first off I heard this from my friend that lives up the Upper Pitt, so far not official so take it for what it’s worth… I was told yesterday that 45 elk were taken by First Nations prior to the whitey LEH, some were pittlamped ( Danny from lodge has some video footage and forwarded to CO). What’s more disturbing is they hired a person that is well known in conservation to help the First Nations get the elk then split some meat with him (non-whitey), if this is all true that’s really darn sad! The conservation officer said there’s nothing they can do however mentioned that sustainability of the hunt is questionable.
It’s really sad when you hear stuff like this but I’m sure whoever had draws up there this year may have heard this, but I’m sure more will leak out.

rageous
10-24-2021, 11:53 AM
Correct, but FN will carry on with their right to hunt there.

Arctic Lake
10-24-2021, 12:26 PM
Ah man this is not good ! 45 animals is a lot of meat ! What band was that ? Who is this conservationist that helped the First Nations ? Who footed the bill that got the elk reintroduced up there ? Just makes you sad .
Same rules for all !
Arctic Lake

Imdone
10-24-2021, 02:48 PM
Unless you know it's facts ........ WHY BOTHER posting.

If it is a Pitt lamping slaughter by FN, blame the Spineless Court Judges for Zero consequences.

There's Two Laws in this Country.

604Stalker
10-24-2021, 02:52 PM
Thats a little harsh concidering the heard size I hope this has been atleast recorded with the biologists and that there is open room for discussion about how to mannage the heard

browningboy
10-24-2021, 04:08 PM
Unless you know it's facts ........ WHY BOTHER posting.

If it is a Pitt lamping slaughter by FN, blame the Spineless Court Judges for Zero consequences.

There's Two Laws in this Country.

Danny from the lodge and my buddy know and seen what happen, why bother posting because it’s horse shiet

Imdone
10-24-2021, 05:24 PM
Danny from the lodge and my buddy know and seen what happen, why bother posting because it’s horse shiet

Then if TRUE. Go to every media outfit you know, show them how this group Manages the herd, complete with Spotlights and live firearms after dark.

SHOW THE COUNTRY WHATS BEEN GOING ON.

THE SWEDE
10-24-2021, 05:54 PM
I’d take anything Danny says with a grain of salt. That goof only has his best interest in mind.

Deer_Slayer
10-24-2021, 06:38 PM
Does lodge owner have a vested interest in having season closed? Seems to me I recall he was trying to stop fishermen from boating up the Pitt too. Maybe he wants exclusive use for high $$$ clients. Same type of asshats who stopped grizzly hunting so people can only see grizzlies by using their "guide" services. Soon BC will be like Germany and other European countries, where only the supreme rich can hunt.

MOOSE MILK
10-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Just watch it's coming, yer gonna be paying the FN's $1,500 fer a moose tag.

Darksith
10-24-2021, 08:08 PM
this is something that should hit the media...nationally. Stewards of the land hey? Sounds more like rape and pillage if its true

Does lodge owner have a vested interest in having season closed? Seems to me I recall he was trying to stop fishermen from boating up the Pitt too. Maybe he wants exclusive use for high $$$ clients.

This sounds more probable

dakoda62
10-24-2021, 08:18 PM
Stewards of the land my ass.

adriaticum
10-25-2021, 06:33 AM
Sounds like a nice bullshit story

browningboy
10-25-2021, 06:44 AM
Sounds like a nice bullshit story

Yup, 100% bullshiit! Or possibly a conspiracy theory? Lol, anyways let’s move on.

Linksman313
10-25-2021, 01:15 PM
Lets see some footy please?

thomas300
10-25-2021, 01:42 PM
Post the Video if it exists

Bugle M In
10-25-2021, 01:44 PM
And you wonder why i hate transplants of game in areas that are FN!!
We pay for the to poach!
No benefit what so ever for anyone else.
Just real peoples time and money.

And the worse part, there is nowhere left that aint FN unless one day we change that.
Should be in the media!
After all, they are on a big FN campaign these days.
How about the :"real truth".

Bugle M In
10-25-2021, 01:46 PM
Yup, 100% bullshiit! Or possibly a conspiracy theory? Lol, anyways let’s move on.
So, is your OP true???
I know you say you heard this, but now i am confused.

adriaticum
10-25-2021, 01:46 PM
And you wonder why i hate transplants of game in areas that are FN!!
We pay for the to poach!
No benefit what so ever for anyone else.
Just real peoples time and money.

And the worse part, there is nowhere left that aint FN unless one day we change that.
Should be in the media!
After all, they are on a big FN campaign these days.
How about the :"real truth".

Are there any areas that are not FN?
What's the difference if FN can go anywhere and shoot anything.

adriaticum
10-25-2021, 01:48 PM
I wonder what browning boy's definition of "buddy" is.
My definition could include some random dude on the street trying to bum a smoke.
Or asking for change.
"Hey Buddy, I don't smoke"

browningboy
10-25-2021, 02:07 PM
So, is your OP true???
I know you say you heard this, but now i am confused.

I was being sarcastic to whoevers response..

browningboy
10-25-2021, 02:09 PM
I wonder what browning boy's definition of "buddy" is.
My definition could include some random dude on the street trying to bum a smoke.
Or asking for change.
"Hey Buddy, I don't smoke"

Why don't you just call Danny or call Pitt River Water Taxi? Both owners and live up there, and you can fill your boots? I couldn't give even two shits what you think to be honest, just some gumby spouting off shit.

Keta1969
10-25-2021, 02:31 PM
Why don't you just call Danny or call Pitt River Water Taxi? Both owners and live up there, and you can fill your boots? I couldn't give even two shits what you think to be honest, just some gumby spouting off shit.

No offence but when you make a fairly controversial, unsubstantiated, anecdotal claim on a forum some one will question you for proof. I'm not saying it did or didn't happen but it needs to be substantiated and as you posted it you should be the one to verify it.

ElectricDyck
10-25-2021, 02:32 PM
Do people doubt these actions happen by first nations? People call it poaching but is it not in their legal rights? It seems to me some have their heads in the sands when they say it should be reported lol..and what do you think will happen? The courts don't even put criminals in jail, you think the COs have appetite to take on FNs right to harvest animals to court lol..its been tried, it didnt work...

Anybody know how many elk are up that valley? 40 elk may not be that many.....how many draws do they have up there for hunting rights impaired people?

wideopenthrottle
10-25-2021, 02:42 PM
ummmmm FN rights do not trump conservation
Do people doubt these actions happen by first nations? People call it poaching but is it not in their legal rights? It seems to me some have their heads in the sands when they say it should be reported lol..and what do you think will happen? The courts don't even put criminals in jail, you think the COs have appetite to take on FNs right to harvest animals to court lol..its been tried, it didnt work...

Anybody know how many elk are up that valley? 40 elk may not be that many.....how many draws do they have up there for hunting rights impaired people?

wideopenthrottle
10-25-2021, 02:43 PM
https://www.todayinbc.com/news/updated-pitt-lake-elk-need-better-protection/

some info on the pitt herd

MichelD
10-25-2021, 02:49 PM
Call the Katzie Band and ask. 604-465-8961.

I know I have been on three LEH elk hunts on Vancouver Island and the Campbell River band had a designated hunter and they were allocated a certain number of the Sayward herd. I met the hunter.

Similarly, the Quatsino Band on northern Vancouver Island had an allocation of the Nahwitti herd when I had a draw there too.

Contact the C.O. service and ask them.

1-877-952-7277

wideopenthrottle
10-25-2021, 03:01 PM
if you read the link I posted, you will see that almost 2 years ago the herd was up to 200 and 160 was the target number for the area...sounds like there are quite a few extras more than they want now.....up until the time of the article the allowable kill numbers were split fairly evenly...I wonder if that changed this year and they were allowed more?
Call the Katzie Band and ask. 604-465-8961.

I know I have been on three LEH elk hunts on Vancouver Island and the Campbell River band had a designated hunter and they were allocated a certain number of the Sayward herd. I met the hunter.

Similarly, the Quatsino Band on northern Vancouver Island had an allocation of the Nahwitti herd when I had a draw there too.

Contact the C.O. service and ask them.

1-877-952-7277

Keta1969
10-25-2021, 03:01 PM

I'm not saying something didn't happen on the Pitt involving First Nations. I'd be surprised if they didn't take some elk, they certainly do on the island. 45 seems like a lot out of a herd that I read was around 200. Would be nice to know what actually happened but right now it is pure speculation. As to First Nations rights I agree, you have Trudeau senior and the Supreme Court to thank for that. Not going to change.

browningboy
10-25-2021, 03:07 PM
No offence but when you make a fairly controversial, unsubstantiated, anecdotal claim on a forum some one will question you for proof. I'm not saying it did or didn't happen but it needs to be substantiated and as you posted it you should be the one to verify it.

Please re-read the first sentence in my opening statement, if people have further desire then by all means many numbers one can call?

browningboy
10-25-2021, 03:09 PM
Okay first off I heard this from my friend that lives up the Upper Pitt, so far not official so take it for what it’s worth… I was told yesterday that 45 elk were taken by First Nations prior to the whitey LEH, some were pittlamped ( Danny from lodge has some video footage and forwarded to CO). What’s more disturbing is they hired a person that is well known in conservation to help the First Nations get the elk then split some meat with him (non-whitey), if this is all true that’s really darn sad! The conservation officer said there’s nothing they can do however mentioned that sustainability of the hunt is questionable.
It’s really sad when you hear stuff like this but I’m sure whoever had draws up there this year may have heard this, but I’m sure more will leak out.

Just so people understand it's not official, but comes from people that live there.

Livewire322
10-25-2021, 03:29 PM
Just so people understand it's not official, but comes from people that live there.
I’ve been told that bald eagles will be added to the LEH system next year and sturgeon retention will be allowed too! You should believe me - I live beside the Fraser River, it’s only 100 m from my back porch!

Why even start the thread if you have no evidence? Just fishing to see if someone else has some, or stirring the pot?

Bugle M In
10-25-2021, 03:47 PM
Okay, so this OP is just "rumor".
Several years ago, my hunting partners son won the draw and we did a lot of leg work and calling around to get as much info
on the herd and the hunt as possible back then.
And yes, some residents up there and some in the "know" about this herd did mention a possible issue.
That issue being that another FN Band (not the one with the permits and dont know their name off hand), was going to go in
and hunt the area, and yes with atvs etc and in disregard of the leh or any other agreements.
So, that has been around for a while.
I was also told by a few that the band with the permits would not allow that to happen.
(that makes sense and is understandable)

So, unless something has happened and 45 or so elk did get taken (which i would like to know really happened), then it is
nothing more than a rumor that has been circulating for several years and maybe the OP just got wind of that now,
considering he had a leh permit for the area this past season.
If it has happened, then its disgusting and i stand by my original post anyways.

And, if the herd has grown to numbers "beyond" their initial intention, then having FN remove the "extras" is still not okay, imo.
In that case, more LEH should be handed out next season to both sides.

ryanb
10-25-2021, 04:17 PM
I don't have any first hand knowledge of this report. I will say that the person making the report (not the op, but the source he quotes) is not known for his honesty, and in the past has made other outlandish claims that have been proven false and are demonstrably self serving.

I wouldn't be surprised if FN have taken some elk, maybe even in excess of their allocation, but 45? I highly doubt it.

Bugle M In
10-25-2021, 04:22 PM
I don't have any first hand knowledge of this report. I will say that the person making the report (not the op, but the source he quotes) is not known for his honesty, and in the past has made other outlandish claims that have been proven false and are demonstrably self serving.

I wouldn't be surprised if FN have taken some elk, maybe even in excess of their allocation, but 45? I highly doubt it.
I heard some of what i said by owners in the area, not that guy running the lodge up there, who is not overly liked anyways by
some of the owners up there and some of his tactics and a particular gate that he has the key for.
So yes, it is hard to say who is saying what.
Better to see what actually is.

Arctic Lake
10-25-2021, 04:56 PM
Hope someone gets to the bottom of this and some Truthful Facts emerge ! The he said she said thing is a real pisser !
Arctic Lake

RackStar
10-25-2021, 06:13 PM
What a useless thread.