PDA

View Full Version : Road hunters killed my buck.

LongBowDerek
10-24-2021, 08:51 AM
Yesterday I was hunting up in an area by a small lake I'd been scouting and hunting since early September. Tons of does in the area and I found sign of a single buck, so Yesterday I decided to focus on calling him in with a few bleats and a grunt every now and then. I was hunkered down in a blind I made out of small branches and bows I found near the area. Right around dusk (after sitting in my blind for 9 hours) I heard a shot from a vehicle 200 yards down the road... Turns out road hunters just drove up and shot the buck I was trying to call.

My question is: Will the gut pile and shot scare off all the other does and future bucks in the area? It's my first season hunting deer... not sure if I should find another spot or commit to where I know there's tons of does.

Thanks.

Rayne
10-24-2021, 09:18 AM
Stick with the does. Honestly I don’t know if calling will work this early in the season. I’ve never had any luck.
There’s probably more than one buck in the area. The deer are just starting to rut but if your seeing does with small fawns dont expect to see bucks with them your looking for full grown does that small bucks are trying to breed already.
I shot one Saturday (might write up a story later) and he was with a doe and another buck and both were showing signs of being in rut mode.

LongBowDerek
10-24-2021, 09:28 AM
Thanks. The does I've seen are all mature. I've still got till the end of October to harvest a doe if I don't find another buck there. I think I'll try and find a highway/funnel deeper into the thick stuff and away from the road, perhaps let the road hunters drive thenm towards me.

northof49
10-24-2021, 09:41 AM
If you are able and comfortable to do so, try getting further away from roads if calling to avoid that happening. Try around edges of 5-8 yr old cutblocks where recent tracks/sign. Preferably areas with broken terrain and draws that funnel game up into cutblock in eve. Broken terrain and benches midway up and bigger fir vets up above along ridges. Those ridge lines with bigger fir and cut blocks and benches below can be good places to call. Try to get away from the roads and easy access places. Get a good vantage and sit and watch those funnel draws last hour of light as the deer come out of the timber. Dress warm. Good luck.

blacklab
10-24-2021, 09:42 AM
How about change the title to "Hunters Kill My Buck". It might sound a little less sanctimonious.

knighthunter
10-24-2021, 09:50 AM
The gut pile and gunshot won't scare off other deer in the area. The gut pile is likely gone already.

LongBowDerek
10-24-2021, 10:02 AM
Thanks. Theres an old creek bed thats very marshy that leads from the lake into mature timber funnels. Ive found lots of tracks passing through there, but haven't seen any deer there. I'll try hunting it a little deeper and see what happens. It's loud to still hunt in, so I guess it's best to get there early and just hunker down for the day.

LongBowDerek
10-24-2021, 10:03 AM
Thanks, good to know. Wasn't sure how sensitive deer are to gut piles. Figured the smell would keep em away.

3centsolution
10-24-2021, 10:18 AM
Well I'm pretty sure it's not your buck until you cut a tag for it. Other guy's just happen to be in the right place at the right time. It happens

goatdancer
10-24-2021, 10:20 AM
The gut pile and gunshot won't scare off other deer in the area. The gut pile is likely gone already.

Very true. Quite a few years ago I had a WT doe tag. I spotted a doe and drove up the trail about 200 yards, parked my truck and very slowly walked back down. Spotted the doe and watched to see if there was a buck around. couldn't see a buck so I shot the. Walked back to my truck and drove back down to gut and load her, maybe 5 minutes max. When I got to within 30 yards of her, I spotted a nice buck obviously searching for his girlfriend, totally unconcerned with my approach. I watched him for about 5 minutes and then drove down the last few yards and watched him finally move away slowly. Could have had them both if I had another tag.

northof49
10-24-2021, 10:22 AM
Thanks. Theres an old creek bed thats very marshy that leads from the lake into mature timber funnels. Ive found lots of tracks passing through there, but haven't seen any deer there. I'll try hunting it a little deeper and see what happens. It's loud to still hunt in, so I guess it's best to get there early and just hunker down for the day.

Glass blocks first light. After that cover new ground and scout for fresh sign. Still hunt the timber but not an area you plan to sit and watch for last light. Get back to and sneak (stay concealed) into your chosen spot (based on scouting/recent sign) to sit/watch for last few hours of light. Watch and glass edges. The doe’s will come in hour before dark….bigger bucks typically last 15-30mins of light or in the dark if pressured. Exception being the rut when the brain goes to mush. If nothing shows…on to new location for the next time out.

Livewire322
10-24-2021, 10:27 AM
How about change the title to "Hunters Kill My Buck". It might sound a little less sanctimonious.

Still sounds sanctimonious - try changing the title to “other hunters killed a buck I was targeting”

boxhitch
10-24-2021, 11:14 AM
You will soon find that hunters are continually inflating and exaggerating their impact and footprint on wilderness and wildlife
200 yds, likely not responding at all to your call
Vehicles and gunshots do nothing significant to alter movements
deer and bears do not 'know' what a gunshot sound may come from (warning shots are pointless)
For every one deer/buck/doe you know about chances are there are 10 times as many in the area
gut piles are also insignificant , just another day, critters are always dying

ACB
10-24-2021, 11:22 AM
Or, some hunters shot a deer in the same area that I was hunting, lucky *******s. LOL. Deer hunting is all about the timing, good timing for you, bad timing for the deer.

Fella
10-24-2021, 11:59 AM
Or, some hunters shot a deer in the same area that I was hunting, lucky *******s. LOL. Deer hunting is all about the timing, good timing for you, bad timing for the deer.
Yup, this is actually what happened.

LongBowDerek
10-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Sorry, wasn't trying to offend anybody that shoots deer from their vehicle. Guess it's just a frustrating reality of hunting crown land.

B-rad
10-24-2021, 01:38 PM
shot my mule buck on thurseday,,,,,,and he was aprox 150 yards from a few dry does,,,,,,,and man,,,he was already stinking pretty bad,,,,,,,the bucks are definately starting to take interest in the does

LongBowDerek
10-24-2021, 01:39 PM
Solid advice. Thank you. It's a tough hunt, still hunting, but very fun. Just been bumping does for the most part haha.

The Hermit
10-24-2021, 02:37 PM
If you find their main trails in and out of bedding/feeding areas then put up a treestand (killing machine) and sit from hour before light to 30" after shooting light. Clear the area around the stand of noisy sticks leaves etc and sneak in and out as quietly as possible. Good luck, sounds like you have a nice spot.

Imdone
10-24-2021, 02:42 PM
No the guts nor the shot will scare any other deer out . They are literally used to both. Hunt the area again .

By the way ....... Big grin ...... Thanks for the buck:mrgreen::mrgreen:

LongBowDerek
10-24-2021, 02:55 PM
Don't have a tree stand in the budget, but there's a big old pine tree I can climb up.

Cheers!

browningboy
10-24-2021, 04:15 PM
Goes to show you road hunting kicks azz!

walks with deer
10-24-2021, 05:21 PM
Yesterday I was hunting up in the aberdeen area by a small lake I'd been scouting and hunting since early September. Tons of does in the area and I found sign of a single buck, so Yesterday I decided to focus on calling him in with a few bleats and a grunt every now and then. I was hunkered down in a blind I made out of small branches and bows I found near the area. Right around dusk (after sitting in my blind for 9 hours) I heard a shot from a vehicle 200 yards down the road... Turns out road hunters just drove up and shot the buck I was trying to call.

My question is: Will the gut pile and shot scare off all the other does and future bucks in the area? It's my first season hunting deer... not sure if I should find another spot or commit to where I know there's tons of does.

Thanks.

Do you need a soother??

Brez
10-24-2021, 05:56 PM
No it won't.

Yesterday I was hunting up in the aberdeen area by a small lake I'd been scouting and hunting since early September. Tons of does in the area and I found sign of a single buck, so Yesterday I decided to focus on calling him in with a few bleats and a grunt every now and then. I was hunkered down in a blind I made out of small branches and bows I found near the area. Right around dusk (after sitting in my blind for 9 hours) I heard a shot from a vehicle 200 yards down the road... Turns out road hunters just drove up and shot the buck I was trying to call.

Thanks.

Brez
10-24-2021, 06:01 PM
the guts and hide, legs, etc. may actually attract bucks.

No the guts nor the shot will scare any other deer out . They are literally used to both. Hunt the area again .

By the way ....... Big grin ...... Thanks for the buck:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Deer_Slayer
10-24-2021, 06:31 PM
Amen brotha

Deer_Slayer
10-24-2021, 06:32 PM
hahahaha good chuckle

Deer_Slayer
10-24-2021, 06:33 PM
It's too bad they never saw your ownership tag on that deer. It happens at times

lovemywinchester
10-24-2021, 07:11 PM
Keep at it, you'll get another chance. And quit posting or talking about where you hunt.

Bugle M In
10-24-2021, 07:34 PM
We shot 2 elk, 6 hours apart and 300 hundred yards apart, 2 days apart.
And i know someone and his partner, that shot 2 bull elk, 100 yards apart, 15minutes apart on same day!
I gutted a buck, dragged it downhill and had other bucks knowing i was there scrambling to get out of the way as i
headed down.
It wont bother than for long.
Unless there are Preds on it, than maybe hang "upwind" from it.

Frank grimes
10-24-2021, 07:40 PM
shot my mule buck on thurseday,,,,,,and he was aprox 150 yards from a few dry does,,,,,,,and man,,,he was already stinking pretty bad,,,,,,,the bucks are definately starting to take interest in the does
I chased a buck today up a mountain, about 2300m. No does in sight. I brought the bigger spotter this morning and his neck didn’t look swollen. Piss in his tracks though. He bedded on the other ridge though, and I ran out of daylight.

caddisguy
10-24-2021, 11:25 PM
Stick with the does, it's about to be game on.

Bucks are going to putting kms on the hoofs pushing does and causing all sorts of movement the next 6 weeks.

Even if you don't have resident bucks in your pocket you will have cruisers that don't care about a gut pile.

Gotta watch this though... awesome song :)

https://youtu.be/gld9X566uUk

Redthies
10-25-2021, 05:30 AM
It’s a tough life in the woods. I don’t hunt from a vehicle on less I happen to be driving to or from my campsite. I walk a lot of miles every year. I have a friend who only hunt from his ATV with coffee in a cup holder, heated grips etc etc. The one time I tried hunting with him on foot, he made so much damn noise he might as well have been driving up to the bedding spot on his quad.

BUT, he almost always gets a deer or two, whereas I am lucky to get one every other year. Deer are not my main focus these days, and I’d do better if I put more time in. My point is, you may not like road hunters, but there is a reason some people hunt that way. I’m sure they will enjoy eating your deer...

fearnodeer
10-25-2021, 05:38 AM
Heck last year we shot 2 bucks in one end of a field, 2 hours later the 3rd guy got his in the other end of the field.

walks with deer
10-25-2021, 07:22 AM
Yesterday I was hunting up in an area by a small lake I'd been scouting and hunting since early September. Tons of does in the area and I found sign of a single buck, so Yesterday I decided to focus on calling him in with a few bleats and a grunt every now and then. I was hunkered down in a blind I made out of small branches and bows I found near the area. Right around dusk (after sitting in my blind for 9 hours) I heard a shot from a vehicle 200 yards down the road... Turns out road hunters just drove up and shot the buck I was trying to call.

Thanks.

Ground blinds near roads can be interesting..
2 years ago a guy was in a tree stand all day..i didnt kniw he was there as he climbed out of his stand a large whitetail was running across the slash he was in i shot it less than 15yards from where he was xlimbing out of the stand. As i walked uo to claim my buck he came at me screeming thinking i was shooting at him.. i should him the buck and gave him a orange toque.

jshansen
10-25-2021, 08:25 AM
Damn road hunters, road hunting isnt hunting, it's (if they're lucky) just shooting.

Livewire322
10-25-2021, 09:24 AM
Damn road hunters, road hunting isnt hunting, it's (if they're lucky) just shooting.

Damn rifle hunters! Rifle hunting isn’t hunting, it’s (at best) target practice on a living animal!
In fact, if you don’t chase the deer down until it collapses from exhaustion so that you can beat it with a club, you just ain’t hunting!

(end sarcasm) but seriously, how’s the weather up there on your high-horse?

Bubbacanuck
10-25-2021, 11:16 AM
Damn rifle hunters! Rifle hunting isn’t hunting, it’s (at best) target practice on a living animal!
In fact, if you don’t chase the deer down until it collapses from exhaustion so that you can beat it with a club, you just ain’t hunting!

(end sarcasm) but seriously, how’s the weather up there on your high-horse?

Best comment today!! I was thinking 'how is the weather up in your ivory tower'

Linksman313
10-25-2021, 01:13 PM

Thanks.

Welcome to Region 8 lol
Keep at it Long Bow

Norwestalta
10-25-2021, 01:23 PM
Some might find this funny.

https://youtu.be/gld9X566uUk

LongBowDerek
10-25-2021, 03:40 PM
That's hilarious

Norwestalta
10-25-2021, 04:47 PM
That's hilarious

Consider yourself lucky. The next couple of weeks is the deer hunting time.

browningboy
10-25-2021, 06:59 PM
Consider yourself lucky. The next couple of weeks is the deer hunting time.

A couple weeks or so and it should start heating up!

Norwestalta
10-25-2021, 07:35 PM

Yessir. I like the last week in Nov for whitetail. Mule deer seem to be a little earlier.

nuadixion
10-25-2021, 07:48 PM

Interesting...I got one two days ago and did not have a hint of smell on him....it was a two point. Area 2

Norwestalta
10-25-2021, 08:29 PM

I might of spoke to soon. I buddy of mine shot a 184" whitetaul and another local guy shot what I figure to be 200" + whitetail.

Deer_Slayer
10-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Being a road hunter doesn't mean you shoot from your vehicle. That is illegal.