PDA

View Full Version : 560000 hectares closed effectively immediately

rageous
10-22-2021, 11:52 AM
It’s here!

Have a gander at the online hunting regulations for your area before heading out in region 3 & 8

Just a FYI this does not apply for FN

Harvest the Land
10-22-2021, 11:58 AM
It’s here!

Have a gander at the online hunting regulations for your area before heading out in region 3 & 8

Just a FYI this does not apply for FN

I know the Coldwater Band closed a good chunk of 3-13 until Oct 15th because of the July Mountain fire. Did they extend the closure? Do you have a link?

Livewire322
10-22-2021, 12:37 PM
Let’s see how long the restrictions stay in place - probably a good thing to relieve some of the hunting pressure on areas that burned so badly - would I rather see all people banned, sure, but some is better than none.

If they do stay in place into a time that the places have recovered I guess I’ll have to get out and walk a little more if I want to hunt those areas. Sure will be nice to have fewer people driving past me while I’m hunting though!

MichelD
10-22-2021, 12:52 PM
Looking at the hunting regulations corrections and updates I see maps of motor vehicle closure areas but no reference at all to First Nations.

There is a lot of ignorance about motor vehicle closed areas and I am as guilty of that as much as anyone else. There has been a MV closure in the Shulaps Range above the 1920 metre elevation since 2016, but I was advised by a buddy to try a particular road and we went up there August 30 to catch the 4-point mulie opening. We were scanning a hillside with binoculars and two other hunters drove up and reminded us that we were above the "No-Go" zone. They admitted that they were too and knew it but were informing us in case we didn't know. We drove back down to our camp and didn't drive up past 1920 metres again though over the next three days a half dozen other vehicles did.

I've been reading the regs synopsis since 1960 and usually consider myself literate and well-informed but in this case I wasn't and I believe my friend who advised me to hunt the area was ignorant of the current elevation restriction as well.

boxhitch
10-22-2021, 12:56 PM
also in the BC recreation
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/motor-vehicle-prohibitions

Bubbacanuck
10-22-2021, 12:58 PM
Thanks for sharing, as I was about to head to one of the closed areas tomorrow. Good thing I had other areas planned to check out that aren't closed :)

boxhitch
Looking at the hunting regulations corrections and updates I see maps of motor vehicle closure areas but no reference at all to First Nations.

There is a lot of ignorance about motor vehicle closed areas and I am as guilty of that as much as anyone else. There has been a MV closure in the Shulaps Range above the 1920 metre elevation since 2016, but I was advised by a buddy to try a particular road and we went up there August 30 to catch the 4-point mulie opening. We were scanning a hillside with binoculars and two other hunters drove up and reminded us that we were above the "No-Go" zone. They admitted that they were too and knew it but were informing us in case we didn't know. We drove back down to our camp and didn't drive up past 1920 metres again though over the next three days a half dozen other vehicles did.

I've been reading the regs synopsis since 1960 and usually consider myself literate and well-informed but in this case I wasn't and I believe my friend who advised me to hunt the area was ignorant of the current elevation restriction as well.Have seen this happen before when area closures are posted in hunting regs but no where else, no road signage.

Bubbacanuck
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/motor-vehicle-prohibitions#wildfires

DarekG
10-22-2021, 02:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but this looks like it's only a motor vehicle restriction, you could still hike into those areas to hunt?

Rob Chipman
10-22-2021, 02:23 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong here but this looks like it's only a motor vehicle restriction, you could still hike into those areas to hunt?

I think that's correct.

Harvest the Land
10-22-2021, 02:37 PM
Here's a link to the Coldwater Indian Band's website where they outlined the July Mountain fire and said No Hunting in this area until October 15th, 2021

https://www.coldwaterband.com/images/No_Hunting_Restriction_Notice_July_Mountain_Update .pdf

Its unclear to me if they extended this notice beyond the original October 15th date they originally declared. You can see it affects both 3-13 and 8-5, so just a heads up. If anyone has any further insight on this please post your info here

Greenthumbed
10-22-2021, 02:50 PM
If that is the case it’s a far cry from being closed. The White river fire is closed to MV, but that hasn’t stopped people from hinting in there. I hunted for 9 days up there. Probably put 80-100 kms on my boots. Great week of hunting!

blacklab
10-22-2021, 04:21 PM
Let’s see how long the restrictions stay in place - probably a good thing to relieve some of the hunting pressure on areas that burned so badly - would I rather see all people banned, sure, but some is better than none.

If they do stay in place into a time that the places have recovered I guess I’ll have to get out and walk a little more if I want to hunt those areas. Sure will be nice to have fewer people driving past me while I’m hunting though!

These closures are BS just another kick in the ass for resident licensed hunters.
Maybe get your butt off the road, wouldn't so many people driving by.

Bugle M In
10-22-2021, 05:13 PM
So, this fire was appr 50,000 hectares.
But the closure is the 50,000 plus another 500,000 hectares, just in case they missed a spot fire here or there....right!????
Makes total sense to me.:roll:

Sounds to me like any way to reduce whitey to hunt, they will go for it.....10 fold!

I get why the closure, and some extra surrounding it....but......really??????

rageous
10-22-2021, 05:56 PM
Multiple fires/multiple locations through Region 3 & 8

What are the go to groups positions on this? BCWF/BHA/WSSBC/GOABC etc.

Was anyone consulted? How was this regulation determined?

Sit back and watch it fade away….there’s more on the table being pushed.

Redthies
10-23-2021, 05:08 PM
Here's a link to the Coldwater Indian Band's website where they outlined the July Mountain fire and said No Hunting in this area until October 15th, 2021

https://www.coldwaterband.com/images/No_Hunting_Restriction_Notice_July_Mountain_Update .pdf

Its unclear to me if they extended this notice beyond the original October 15th date they originally declared. You can see it affects both 3-13 and 8-5, so just a heads up. If anyone has any further insight on this please post your info here

Lucky for me I am not a member of that band, and thusly they have no legal authority over me.

Bubbacanuck
10-25-2021, 02:45 PM
I was up in some of the area in 3-13 that was closed. I drove by the closed area and there is no signage but there was signs of MV traffic. The area looked like the moon though, so I wouldn't hunt there anyways. The ground didn't even look like dirt, it was pretty much ash. The area next to it though was amazing! Saw a nice spike fork moose (2 pointer) but season doesn't open until Nov 1. Shot a mulie just an hour into my hunt Saturday. All in all, no point in hunting the burnt areas when you can hunt the surrounding areas that hold more animals anyways

Bugle M In
10-25-2021, 03:48 PM
^^^^For sure, the burnt areas wont hold much game right now.

rocksteady
10-25-2021, 05:56 PM
^^^^For sure, the burnt areas wont hold much game right now.

Depending on the intensity of the fire.. lots of areas within that 560000 has was only a light scorch or non continuous fire runs

browningboy
10-25-2021, 06:54 PM
Let the burn get green again, the animals will come back with lots of new feed

Fosey
10-28-2021, 08:54 PM
First it was no ATV ‘s on the Elephant Hill fire and no response
from hunters. Now no vehicle access for hunters after a fire.
we just turn our backs and take it. Next it will be no hunting until the natives
have their fair share. Why is it only Region 3and 8?

rageous
10-28-2021, 09:17 PM
There’s more coming

358mag
10-28-2021, 10:04 PM
There’s more coming

Yes there is one just has to read what UNDRIP is all about .

boxhitch
10-29-2021, 10:36 AM
Watch for other changes to surrounding open areas as pressures change

Bugle M In
10-29-2021, 02:36 PM
Watch for other changes to surrounding open areas as pressures change
Thats exactly what i am wondering and thinking will happen.
Those are prime areas for some, and if they cant hike far, they will look for surrounding areas that are still drivable.
Already seen that in regards to previous fires and closures.
It will get worse...i am sure of it.

358mag
10-30-2021, 08:45 AM
Thats exactly what i am wondering and thinking will happen.
Those are prime areas for some, and if they cant hike far, they will look for surrounding areas that are still drivable.
Already seen that in regards to previous fires and closures.
It will get worse...i am sure of it.

Its all about control and remember the BC FN's claim over 120% of BC land and water mass .

rageous
05-02-2023, 08:22 PM
Some updates today

https://alpha.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/recreation/motor-vehicle-prohibitions

HappyJack
05-03-2023, 08:19 AM
First it was no ATV ‘s on the Elephant Hill fire and no response
from hunters. Now no vehicle access for hunters after a fire.
we just turn our backs and take it. Next it will be no hunting until the natives
have their fair share. Why is it only Region 3and 8?

Exactly what happened in Region 7, FNs only hunting zones. Discrimination at it's finest.....

At least with motor vehicle closures you could still use horses, bikes or even hunt on foot. Just wait till they implement more of these FNs exclusive hunting areas, coming soon to a place near you.

TeeVee
05-03-2023, 09:26 AM
Thank you for posting rageous. I don't really get the sparks lake closed area?
It shows that it's closed but says all existing roads and trails are open?

rageous
05-03-2023, 11:08 AM

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/motor-vehicle-prohibitions/faq_wildfire_mvc.pdf

caddisguy
05-03-2023, 12:43 PM
Exactly what happened in Region 7, FNs only hunting zones. Discrimination at it's finest.....

At least with motor vehicle closures you could still use horses, bikes or even hunt on foot. Just wait till they implement more of these FNs exclusive hunting areas, coming soon to a place near you.

As mentioned in the other thread, gates are going up here in Region 2. I spoke to the Ministry about it and was told that though the gates are unauthorized, they can't remove them because it's political, essentially a stand down order from top level provincial government.

So yes, coming to a theatre near you. No justification needed now (ie: closed due to fire) ... anything can be gated now, no justification necessary.

TheObserver
05-03-2023, 03:38 PM
As mentioned in the other thread, gates are going up here in Region 2. I spoke to the Ministry about it and was told that though the gates are unauthorized, they can't remove them because it's political, essentially a stand down order from top level provincial government.

So yes, coming to a theatre near you. No justification needed now (ie: closed due to fire) ... anything can be gated now, no justification necessary.

How are your efforts going on contacting outdoors/4X4 groups?

bcsteve
05-03-2023, 06:35 PM

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/sports-recreation-arts-and-culture/outdoor-recreation/motor-vehicle-prohibitions/faq_wildfire_mvc.pdf
Looks like you can drive a motor vehicle on existing roads and trails within the boundary but not off road vehicles? So I can squeeze my truck down a quad trail but not actually use a quad?

TeeVee
05-03-2023, 09:18 PM
Looks like you can drive a motor vehicle on existing roads and trails within the boundary but not off road vehicles? So I can squeeze my truck down a quad trail but not actually use a quad?
This is what I understand as well?

sjhawes
05-04-2023, 09:20 AM

2021Wildlife.closures@gov.bc.ca

I do not operate an ORV, but this is the contact email which might provide some clarification. They were pretty quick to respond when I asked about the closure time frame back in early April.

bcsteve
05-04-2023, 02:14 PM
2021Wildlife.closures@gov.bc.ca

I do not operate an ORV, but this is the contact email which might provide some clarification. They were pretty quick to respond when I asked about the closure time frame back in early April.
Thanks. I’ll fire them an email.

Dour
05-04-2023, 03:33 PM
Nothing is closed you can still hunt fish hike camp walk sleep and shoot in all these places. As long as you don’t make new trails. Or drive in the fire weed.

abbyfireguy
05-04-2023, 05:53 PM
Much to do about nothing…