PDA

View Full Version : How many Rifles do you have?

rustybarrel
10-22-2021, 09:00 AM
Would like to know if my rifle desires are typical, or if I have an addiction?
How many rifles do you have ….?
I am up to 4 rifles & 5 shotguns.
With a current itch for another rifle….5 of each makes nice balance I’m thinking.

Norwestalta
10-22-2021, 09:05 AM
With a current itch for another rifle….5 of each makes nice balance I’m thinking.

You got some catching up to do. The nice thing with a rifle is there is no best before date.

RackStar
10-22-2021, 09:21 AM
300wm
300wsm
12ga

can say I have no desire to buy another gun. Got it all covered right there for the critters I chase

Falcodedati
10-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Not sure anymore. I lost a fair many of my firearms in a boating accident the day after my AR-15s were banned.

wideopenthrottle
10-22-2021, 09:22 AM
I recently took possession of an old collection of mostly obsolete rifles...I would have to count them..heheh

Gateholio
10-22-2021, 09:25 AM
9 firearms is amateur hour.

:)

Evanguy
10-22-2021, 09:27 AM
I have 28 a few more if you count the half finished projects too. I like shooting and building rifles as much as hunting with them. The two main focus projects right now are a cch 6.5x53R and a p14 500 Jeffery

KBC
10-22-2021, 09:54 AM
The answer is “Always a few less than I’d like” haha

twoSevenO
10-22-2021, 09:57 AM
2 rifles

.243 and .270 - Not really a big "gun guy". Always just been more of a tool for me to get the job done with.

Would like to pick up a .338Win one of these days for a northern hunt i'd like to do in a few yrs.

Bustercluck
10-22-2021, 10:15 AM
Kids
22 rascal
22 savage mark 2- one fo the old lakefields.
browning 6mm creed
browning 410 bps

pistols
ruger 45 acp
s&w 9mm
walther ppx
gsg 1911 22lr
s&w 460 mag

mine
surplus Mauser in 6.5 swede(my first rifle)
browning abolt 2 300wsm
browning abolt 2 338 win mag
custom bat 6.5 creed
bsa 7mm Mauser. This one is in great shape, but it needs to see a gunsmith.
870 tactical

I had a dpms ar-15 and stag 10 before my boating accident in Canmore as well.

The funny thing is I only shoot my 6.5 creed, my 300wsm and the kids 22s and 6 creed.

Id like to add a weatherby backcountry in 6.5 rpm this winter.

Bubbacanuck
10-22-2021, 10:28 AM
I own mine for hunting purposes only:
12 gauge pump Mossberg 835 - Turkey gun
12 gauge semi-auto Benelli Super Vinci - Waterfowl gun
.223 Ruger American Predator bolt action - Predator gun
.22LR Ruger American bolt action - Small game gun
.308 Mossberg - Big game gun
Ten Point Crossbow - Bow Season

adriaticum
10-22-2021, 10:38 AM
Yes, please list all your guns and preferably serial numbers too.
So that we all may know.

ACB
10-22-2021, 10:42 AM
How many guns do I own, none of your "F"in business!

Blacktail
10-22-2021, 10:49 AM
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me

upperleftcoaster
10-22-2021, 10:51 AM
I keep buying them :-D

boxhitch
10-22-2021, 10:55 AM
lets see...........
w/t rifle
m/d rifle
b/b rifle
moose rifle
elk rifle
g/b rifle
buff rifle
camp rifle
target rifle
varmint rifle
dispatch rifle
take/down quad rifle
combo sg/rifle

Bustercluck
10-22-2021, 11:14 AM
Yes, please list all your guns and preferably serial numbers too.
So that we all may know.
Do you want pics?

Im not worried about you guys knowing what I have and I’m not that paranoid that I think the govt is trolling hbc to get a back door gun registry going on me.

Weatherby Fan
10-22-2021, 11:31 AM
280 Ackley and a 300 PRC

adriaticum
10-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Do you want pics?

Im not worried about you guys knowing what I have and I’m not that paranoid that I think the govt is trolling hbc to get a back door gun registry going on me.

You don't have to worry about me and most people on this forum.

dmaxtech
10-22-2021, 11:49 AM
More than my wife knows about. :-D

Harvest the Land
10-22-2021, 11:50 AM
Nowhere near enough! But hoping to catch up to Norwester someday. I'm not a wealthy man and put most of my spare cash into stocks and real estate for that reason.

300wm
300wsm
12ga

can say I have no desire to buy another gun. Got it all covered right there for the critters I chase

Curious as to why you have both the 300win and 300wsm - is there a noticeable difference between the two? Do you prefer one over the other?

Planning on getting the wismm myself but interested in hearing about your experience with both

MichelD
10-22-2021, 01:02 PM
I love to discuss guns and ammo as much as the next guy, but if you want personal details, let's talk over the campfire, not on a public forum.

Ronin13
10-22-2021, 01:05 PM
-SKS
-Bolt Action single shot .22
-Vanguard .223
-Vanguard 30-06
-Over/Under 12-guage

Bubbacanuck
10-22-2021, 01:58 PM
More than my wife knows about. :-D

Hahaha isn't that the truth!

Bubbacanuck
10-22-2021, 02:00 PM
Nowhere near enough! But hoping to catch up to Norwester someday. I'm not a wealthy man and put most of my spare cash into stocks and real estate for that reason.

Curious as to why you have both the 300win and 300wsm - is there a noticeable difference between the two? Do you prefer one over the other?

Planning on getting the wism myself but interested in hearing about your experience with both

I am curious as well. I am thinking a 300 is my next purchase but I can't decide on a win or short mag...I am leaning towards a 300wsm

Citori54
10-22-2021, 02:15 PM
Not enough.

RackStar
10-22-2021, 02:25 PM

Planning on getting the wismm myself but interested in hearing about your experience with both

i have my 300wsm in a Kimber Montana for my mountain rig shooting 165ttsx

then I picked up a gorgeous mod 70 with a dark maple stock in 300wm as my “go to” elk/moose gun with 200 grain partitions. I like how model 70 wood stock rifles balance more then synthetic stocks. Wanted to shoot 200gr bullets for the amount of grizzly bears on/near my property. Originally wanted a 338 but fell in love with the rifle and figured 200 grains should be plenty.

it’s hard to compare due to rifle weights and different bullets, but I can free hand shoot way better with a wood stock.

if your going for a LW rifle go wsm for shorter action. If you don’t care about weight the OG 300wm is a great caliber.

I love them both equally

Harvest the Land
10-22-2021, 02:30 PM
i have my 300wsm in a Kimber Montana for my mountain rig shooting 165ttsx

then I picked up a gorgeous mod 70 with a dark maple stock in 300wm as my “go to” elk/moose gun with 200 grain partitions. I like how model 70 wood stock rifles balance more then synthetic stocks. Wanted to shoot 200gr bullets for the amount of grizzly bears on/near my property. Originally wanted a 338 but fell in love with the rifle and figured 200 grains should be plenty.

it’s hard to compare due to rifle weights and different bullets, but I can free hand shoot way better with a wood stock.

if your going for a LW rifle go wsm for shorter action. If you don’t care about weight the OG 300wm is a great caliber.

I love them both equally

Good to know - thanks for replying. Ya lighter weight is key (I hike a ton). Kimber's are absolutely gorgeous

moosinaround
10-22-2021, 02:36 PM
2 rifles

.243 and .270 - Not really a big "gun guy". Always just been more of a tool for me to get the job done with.

Would like to pick up a .338Win one of these days for a northern hunt i'd like to do in a few yrs.
Please avoid Prince George on your northern hunt!!

Norwestalta
10-22-2021, 02:54 PM

I'm at the point of wtf for. I keep saying to myself that I should sell a bunch since the kids don't seem to have a interest then I say well maybe the grandson might and he just turned 2. Once a year I lay everything out and wonder why I've got 8 22's or 3 338's or 3 30-06's or 2 25-06's. Then I tell myself I want a custom made by gef. I start putting some money together then I look on townpost or corlanes used rack and see that there's a deal I can't pass up. Then my project gets put on hold. Fml it's a vicious circle. On the plus side I picked up a minty tikka 695 for my build now I've got to decide what I want.

rustybarrel
10-22-2021, 03:05 PM
HA!
Thanks for your input so far, looks like I’m not the only one with a disease.Always good to know others have the same issues.I’m not the Gov., by the way.
I am heavy on the 30-06s & 7mm mags…..lots of nice rifles in those calibers and they fit out here.
Despite my best efforts, and what thought was outstanding distraction work on my part, my wife walked past my den the other day and said….”Do you have more guns now?”
I said : “ No, just looks that way cause it’s hunting season,and guns are out and about! Getting packed, cleaned, etc.”
That will only work so long, I might have to get a bigger house with an even bigger cave for me.

Bubbacanuck
10-22-2021, 03:06 PM
I’m hoping my next rifle can be a gunwerks so maybe a 300wsm is out but unlikely my wife will ever allow me spending that kind of coin on a rifle!!

RackStar
10-22-2021, 03:09 PM
Please avoid Prince George on your northern hunt!!

there’s no elk left around pg anyways , none at all.

Norwestalta
10-22-2021, 03:12 PM
HA!
Thanks for your input so far, looks like I’m not the only one with a disease.Always good to know others have the same issues.I’m not the Gov., by the way.
I am heavy on the 30-06s & 7mm mags…..lots of nice rifles in those calibers and they fit out here.
Despite my best efforts, and what thought was outstanding distraction work on my part, my wife walked past my den the other day and said….”Do you have more guns now?”
I said : “ No, just looks that way cause it’s hunting season,and guns are out and about! Getting packed, cleaned, etc.”
That will only work so long, I might have to get a bigger house with an even bigger cave for me.

If you got wife troubles then buy guns that look the same. I'm not so sure I'd call it a disease. Thing is a new gun will depreciate once it seems and there's always someone around that'll buy it. I think there was a article in the globe and mail or one of those newspapers about investing in guns.

Salmon Belly
10-22-2021, 03:50 PM
This could be the lie of the 21st century!! Nice try WF 8)

280 Ackley and a 300 PRC

Bugle M In
10-22-2021, 03:56 PM
Not enough it seems

Spy
10-22-2021, 04:33 PM
Zero :-) ............

Darksith
10-22-2021, 05:00 PM

hahahaha...no comment :roll: someone might be watching lol

Greenthumbed
10-22-2021, 05:33 PM
7 rifles 1 shotgun.

Arctic Lake
10-22-2021, 05:43 PM
Not enough ! I’d like to get the following :
Bolt action 22 maybe a CZ 457
Another hunting rifle in a synthetic / composite stock caliber hmm not 30.06 or 6.5 Creedmoor
Like to get a pistol as well maybe a CZ
Arctic Lake

Mulehahn
10-22-2021, 05:53 PM
Hmmm...

Rifles:
Pellet for cheap fun and training new shooters
22 bolt action for target
22 semi for plinking
223/5.56 for target and yotes
25-06 Sentimental and longer range predators
7-08 Ruger compact for dense bush
308 stainless synthetic for hunting crappy weather
30-06 stainless with tiger striped stock (just pretty)
357/38 mares leg for killing time between groups
SKS because fun, cheap, and will probably be illegal

Shotguns
12ga pump (inherited)
12ga semi for waterfowl
12ga 590a1 for protection
12ga O/U for kayak hunting (control ejection)

Beyond the two for sentimental reasons every gun I own has a purpose and I use each one at various times. I am still a few short though. Some aspects of my hunting and hobby shooting are quite covered.

Gateholio
10-22-2021, 06:11 PM
I'm at the point of wtf for. I keep saying to myself that I should sell a bunch since the kids don't seem to have a interest then I say well maybe the grandson might and he just turned 2. Once a year I lay everything out and wonder why I've got 8 22's or 3 338's or 3 30-06's or 2 25-06's. Then I tell myself I want a custom made by gef. I start putting some money together then I look on townpost or corlanes used rack and see that there's a deal I can't pass up. Then my project gets put on hold. Fml it's a vicious circle. On the plus side I picked up a minty tikka 695 for my build now I've got to decide what I want.

Personally, I would rather have one or two custom hunting rifles than a dozen factory rifles. Lots of guys don't want to spend $5000 on a perfect rifle but they will buy 6 or 7 $700-$1000 rifles. But everyone has a different way of looking at things.

Good luck on your custom build. :)

Bigdoggdon
10-22-2021, 06:24 PM
Not gonna say how many guns I have, but I do have 8 gun cabinets.

Norwestalta
10-22-2021, 07:10 PM
Personally, I would rather have one or two custom hunting rifles than a dozen factory rifles. Lots of guys don't want to spend $5000 on a perfect rifle but they will buy 6 or 7 $700-$1000 rifles. But everyone has a different way of looking at things.

Thanks and ya you're right. In my beginning years it was all about quantity now I'm leaning to quality.

emerson
10-22-2021, 07:14 PM
Thanks and ya you're right. In my beginning years it was all about quantity now I'm leaning to quality.
I’m headed down the same road. Sometimes rifles stay around because they have been good to me and are not worth much to anyone else.

Harvest the Land
10-22-2021, 07:30 PM

Then what would be your 2 cartridges of choice Gates?

srthomas75
10-22-2021, 07:46 PM
I love to discuss guns and ammo as much as the next guy, but if you want personal details, let's talk over the campfire, not on a public forum.

I have to agree fully with this.

twoSevenO
10-22-2021, 07:53 PM
Not gonna say how many guns I have, but I do have 8 gun cabinets.

How do you even have the space for this?

moosinaround
10-22-2021, 08:00 PM
Can’t say how many I have, but I can hunt from .224 cal, to .430 cal, with something of everything in between! Shotguns go from .410 to 12ga, and every action! Saying this, I need a .50 cal smoke pole, and would love a few more levers!! Moosin

Redthies
10-22-2021, 09:01 PM
I also own guns. I have a “few”. I will admit to a lever action and over/under fetish though. OP, you’re not done yet...

Gateholio
10-22-2021, 09:16 PM
Then what would be your 2 cartridges of choice Gates?

Ha. I tried that years ago. Well, almost. I figured I could do it with 3. I wanted a .223 for lots of practice and stuff like yotes, a mid range cartridge for most hunting and a bigger gun for stuff like grizzly. I felt I could just have 3 nice rifles to last a lifetime and I would be all good with that. It's a good concept and for someone who really only shoots a bit and likes hunting with nice rifles it's a great concept.

I ended up getting Bill Leeper to make me a 300 WSM on a Mdl 70 CRF action and bought a 375 H&H and a .223. Then I decided I liked the performance of the 375 H&H but didn't like the rifle enough and felt the cartridge design wasn't up to par in this day and age so I bought another Mdl70 as a donor action and as going to get a 375 AI made. Then Ruger introduced the 375 Ruger so I bought one of the first ones and got a Mcmillan stock and a trigger for it. I also went through a few .223 rifles trying to decide what I liked the best.

Anyway the concept worked fine for a few years but I also had other fun guns too.

Now my primary hunting rifles are a 12.5" barrel 6.5 Grendel I put together on a straight pull bolty, a 16" barrel .308 Ruger Scout with Mcmillan stock, the Leeper 300WSM, the 375 Ruger and my brand new custom 6.5 PRC.

But, to the question- If I was to only have 2 rifles, only two....One would be 6.5 Grendel. Great for fun range time, yotes and deer.

The other would be the big game rifle and it should be something in the 6.5CM to 300 Magnum range. What specific cartridge would depend much on the shooters needs, experience and recoil tolerance of course. There is a huge difference between someone who shoots often and can handle recoil and a once a year shooter. There is also a big difference between the needs of someone who mostly hunts deer and once in awhile goes for moose and someone who mostly hunts moose and elk.

If I was going to pick one single big game cartridge to hunt everything in BC with I think I would get a 300 PRC built. I've used it in a precision rifle and I think it's the best of the 300's these days. Although the 6.8 Western is really intriguing too. Finally a .270 that makes sense! :)

But neither of these are super practical right now for someone who isn't a real gun nut :)

Citori54
10-22-2021, 09:16 PM
My wife once asked " how many guns do you need". I replied "that may be the dumbest question I have ever heard". She hasn't asked since and we are still married after 40 years:lol:

RICKADY
10-22-2021, 10:10 PM
lets see...........
w/t rifle
m/d rifle
b/b rifle
moose rifle
elk rifle
g/b rifle
buff rifle
camp rifle
target rifle
varmint rifle
dispatch rifle
take/down quad rifle
combo sg/rifle
What no shotgun,!
Sorry couldnt help myself

Harvest the Land
10-22-2021, 10:14 PM
Ha. I tried that years ago. Well, almost. I figured I could do it with 3. I wanted a .223 for lots of practice and stuff like yotes, a mid range cartridge for most hunting and a bigger gun for stuff like grizzly. I felt I could just have 3 nice rifles to last a lifetime and I would be all good with that. It's a good concept and for someone who really only shoots a bit and likes hunting with nice rifles it's a great concept.

I ended up getting Bill Leeper to make me a 300 WSM on a Mdl 70 CRF action and bought a 375 H&H and a .223. Then I decided I liked the performance of the 375 H&H but didn't like the rifle enough and felt the cartridge design wasn't up to par in this day and age so I bought another Mdl70 as a donor action and as going to get a 375 AI made. Then Ruger introduced the 375 Ruger so I bought one of the first ones and got a Mcmillan stock and a trigger for it. I also went through a few .223 rifles trying to decide what I liked the best.

Anyway the concept worked fine for a few years but I also had other fun guns too.

Now my primary hunting rifles are a 12.5" barrel 6.5 Grendel I put together on a straight pull bolty, a 16" barrel .308 Ruger Scout with Mcmillan stock, the Leeper 300WSM, the 375 Ruger and my brand new custom 6.5 PRC.

But, to the question- If I was to only have 2 rifles, only two....One would be 6.5 Grendel. Great for fun range time, yotes and deer.

The other would be the big game rifle and it should be something in the 6.5CM to 300 Magnum range. What specific cartridge would depend much on the shooters needs, experience and recoil tolerance of course. There is a huge difference between someone who shoots often and can handle recoil and a once a year shooter. There is also a big difference between the needs of someone who mostly hunts deer and once in awhile goes for moose and someone who mostly hunts moose and elk.

If I was going to pick one single big game cartridge to hunt everything in BC with I think I would get a 300 PRC built. I've used it in a precision rifle and I think it's the best of the 300's these days. Although the 6.8 Western is really intriguing too. Finally a .270 that makes sense! :)

But neither of these are super practical right now for someone who isn't a real gun nut :)

Thanks for the detailed thoughtful reply. Don't think I could handle the recoil of that 300 PRC. You must be a bigger dude. Will read more about the Grendel. Need to add a dedicated coyote gun to the collection. Pretty sure I could handle that :smile:

RICKADY
10-22-2021, 10:31 PM
Hmmm lets see
3 wall hangers over a hundred years old, inherited and cool tool to admire.
3 pellet guns from sawed off to 1200 fps to teach and plink with.
1 12 gauge winchester shotgun, had it 2 years, never fired, wanted a 20 gauge but kids you know, (will post it for trade soon)
1 270 for my big game needs,
1 semi auto 22 for plinking and grouse, bunnys too,
1 Chiappa single shot 22 another teach and grouse gun and rabbit gun,
10 i have guns as the OP was enquiring about,
am i done??
Dont think so, trade that 12g, then maybe a few (well maybe 3) more:shock:

Norwestalta
10-23-2021, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the detailed thoughtful reply. Don't think I could handle the recoil of that 300 PRC. You must be a bigger dude. Will read more about the Grendel. Need to add a dedicated coyote gun to the collection. Pretty sure I could handle that :smile:

Look at a 25-06. Very underrated imo. Might even turn into your do all rifle.

Redthies
10-23-2021, 07:41 AM
Don't think I could handle the recoil of that 300 PRC. You must be a bigger dude.

Will read more about the Grendel.

I haven’t seen Gate in quite a few years, but in his younger days I would describe him physically as a mountain man who was a mountain of a man. Definitely not a recoil sensitive type! ;-)

moosinaround
10-23-2021, 07:47 AM
I haven’t seen Gate in quite a few years, but in his younger days I would describe him physically as a mountain man who was a mountain of a man. Definitely not a recoil sensitive type! ;-)

Yup especially in the pink tutu!!

Redthies
10-23-2021, 07:53 AM
I also wil check into the 6.5 Grendel, although I (not a mountain of a man and with a ruined right shoulder) need to keep a handle on recoil and shoot primarily deer with a side order of antelope. I carry a Marlin 336 BL for the west coast, and a 7-08 for more open country. My interests lately have been more shotgun basedthough, aswe now have two Weimaraners that are upland machines. I’ve gotten a good collection of shotguns going ranging from a 12” barreled 12 gauge as a camp/hiking gun to a fairly pricy Italian over under that usually only comes out on sunny hunts for birds.

Redthies
10-23-2021, 07:57 AM
Yup especially in the pink tutu!!

That’s a mental image I’ll never get out of my head!! :mrgreen: There are some Halloween memories (courtesy of Mushroom Mark) from the old days that still make me smile!

ian745
10-23-2021, 08:05 AM
I’m under 20 now for the first time in years.lol, my 2 main go to’s for hunting though are a 270 wsm and. 338wm

steel_ram
10-23-2021, 08:11 AM
Use to have somewhere around 60. 17hmr through to 500 nitro. Wittled it down to just a few, after all, you can only shoot two at a time. Oh yeah, there was that boating accident.

dakoda62
10-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Lets see
Savage 30-30 lever vintage 1906
58 cal Zouave muzzle stuffer
22 cal single shot CIL Hiawatha
Chinese SK
Rem 22 semi auto
20 gauge pump
12 gauge pump
12 gauge sxs coach
308 lever
no 4 mk 1 303 sport
Tikka 3 lite 7mm mag
plus a handful of revolvers and pistols

hawk-i
10-23-2021, 08:13 AM
The only guns I need are my;
CZ 17HMR
Beretta 686
Kimber 280AI Montana
and Ruger African 416(bear defense) :)

swampthing
10-23-2021, 08:43 AM
I certainly own more than I can shoot. Not long ago I was digging through my safes trying to decide which rifle to use for a hunt. I thought about years back when I was younger and could only afford one rifle. I knew that one rifle well and was very comfortable with it. With many rifles to chose from now I wasnt nearly as familiar with any of them. It was hard to do but I sold a handful of rifles and bought a new high end, more expensive rifle than I have ever bought. I am doing my best to hunt with less rifles now but time will tell! I still shop the used market almost daily and weatherby has a new 2.0 back country out now that I cant get out of my mind!!

Harvest the Land
10-23-2021, 09:09 AM
Look at a 25-06. Very underrated imo. Might even turn into your do all rifle.

Thanks for the tip Norwester - will definitely take a look at the 25-06. My go too weapons are my crossbow and my .308. Mostly everything I take a shot at is under 100 yards (I like to take off hand shots if possible) and nothing more than 300 yds. But with all these fires, a few of my go too spots have been incinerated or are closed to hunting, so having to explore new spots and definitely heading into more Grizz country, and more open country where I might need to take longer shots at 400+ yds. That's why I was eyeing up the .300wsm, its shoots flat and has plenty of punch and about as much recoil as I think I would want to handle. But not too keen on having to use a muzzle brake either. Just doing a bit of reading, it looks like a lot of folks really like that 25-06 for Elk - will do more research.

Cheers man

Harvest the Land
10-23-2021, 09:13 AM

Ha! I figured as much. Gates the gentle giant. Thanks for confirming.

The ballistics on the .300 PRC look pretty outstanding, but 43.5lbs of free recoil energy is definitely a tad over the top for some of us

375shooter
10-23-2021, 09:39 AM
My collection covers almost the whole spectrum, starting from .17 calibre on up to .458.

What I use most frequently at this time is a Kimber Hunter in .280 AI with a Leupold 2-7 scope in Talleys. It's a nice light rifle, and very trim, so it's easier to carry around all day. Where the weight (lack of weight) and trimness really shines though is in a scabbard on a horse. It's just better in every way than a larger, heavier rifle, in my experience. For anyone planning for a horseback hunt in the future, this is something to consider.

bcsteve
10-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Enough that my wife doesn’t notice if one or two new ones appear in the safe.

BimmerBob
10-23-2021, 12:00 PM
The hardest part was trying to get the 2 additional safes into the house without notice, I was unsuccessful ;)

Bugle M In
10-23-2021, 12:17 PM
At this stage of my life, i dont really need more guns.
If only one thing, if i could get 2 new rifles to replace what i have used for years would be best.
A new 270 by Sako
Maybe keep the 300 win mag but replace the stock to a thumb holed laminate.
And maybe a short barreled shotgun.

knothead
10-23-2021, 02:29 PM

Justin is that you? Honest, I had one pellet gun and it was lost in a boating accident.

Norwestalta
10-23-2021, 02:47 PM
This thread is good therapy. I decided that one defender will defend what I got so I sold my other.

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2021, 03:52 PM
Ha! I figured as much. Gates the gentle giant. Thanks for confirming.

The ballistics on the .300 PRC look pretty outstanding, but 43.5lbs of free recoil energy is definitely a tad over the top for some of us

The 300 PRC is no different for recoil than a 300 win mag, 300 WBY or 300 WSM, they are all pretty snappy depending on the weight of the rifle, with 245gr bullets my 300 PRC made a little more thump, if you just use the rifle for hunting theyre fine with no brake, if you want to target shoot lots which I like to do I always have a removable brake added to my 300 PRCs or for any cartridge of that size.

The Hermit
10-23-2021, 03:54 PM
More than I need but not nearly as many as I'd like. Nothing that is currently banned, and although I hold an RPAL no handguns at this time.

Imdone
10-23-2021, 04:42 PM
If some list the numbers, are you considered then a small Army, a threat, and the Feds will find you ? Wouldn't be surprised with our Libtards running the Joint !

Harvest the Land
10-23-2021, 04:51 PM
The 300 PRC is no different for recoil than a 300 win mag, 300 WBY or 300 WSM, they are all pretty snappy depending on the weight of the rifle, with 245gr bullets my 300 PRC made a little more thump, if you just use the rifle for hunting theyre fine with no brake, if you want to target shoot lots which I like to do I always have a removable brake added to my 300 PRCs or for any cartridge of that size.

OK good to know, and good to hear from an expert - thanks for clarifying. I got that recoil figure from this article https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-prc/. It was saying the 300PRC has about 13% more recoil with a 212 gr bullet than the 300 win mag, and I know that the win wag has a bit more recoil than the 300 wsm.

What do you think about the 7mm RM for a guy who's not too keen on the muzzle brakes? Yes will most always be used for hunting, mostly it would be a bear and larger ungulate rifle, say out to 400-450 yds?

boxhitch
10-23-2021, 06:46 PM
What no shotgun,!
Sorry couldnt help myselfHa )
question was rifles but yes, one or three shotguns too
duck gun
goose gun
grouse gun
quail gun
combo gun fits in both classes
slight nuances to each

Sitkaspruce
10-23-2021, 08:04 PM
I am actually downsizing as I just don't shoot enough to have a a bunch of guns.

I have settled on one caliber for every thing I hunt with four legs, a couple shot guns and a 22 for plinking. I also have a keep sake firearm that has been through three generations of family so far

Cheers

SS

nelsonob1
10-23-2021, 11:04 PM
22 air rifles
22lr
308x2
270 wsm
35 rem
300 mag
300 win mag
338 mag
shot gun x 4

Yuritau
10-24-2021, 03:39 AM
Do you want pics?

You don't have to worry about me and most people on this forum.

I wouldn't be worried about members or the gov. I might have some concerns about would-be thieves trying to correlate usernames to real names and addresses, though. Heard of a couple local cases where info was pulled from range sign in sheets to target gun homes. Not often much more effort than that to link usernames to real names.

Gateholio
10-24-2021, 05:57 PM
OK good to know, and good to hear from an expert - thanks for clarifying. I got that recoil figure from this article https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/300-prc/. It was saying the 300PRC has about 13% more recoil with a 212 gr bullet than the 300 win mag, and I know that the win wag has a bit more recoil than the 300 wsm.

What do you think about the 7mm RM for a guy who's not too keen on the muzzle brakes? Yes will most always be used for hunting, mostly it would be a bear and larger ungulate rifle, say out to 400-450 yds?

The 7 RM is a fantastic all around cartridge. A great blend of high performance without the recoil of a 300 magnum. Although I don't own one anymore I have seen everything from yotes to coastal grizzly drop to the 7RM. I would say it's best when handloaded as some of the factory ammo is anemic. But there are also some premium factory offerings that take advantage of it's potential.

Although I have had a strict "No Wildcat Cartridge" policy for many years I sure would be tempted to build a 7mm-375 Ruger (Basically a necked down 300 PRC) It would have more case capacity than the 7RM, do away with the superfluous belt ad be designed to utilize modern high BC bullets. But I just had a custom 6.5 PRC built and it's performance is pretty similar to a 7RM so it's probably not going to happen. :)

All 300 magnums have recoil. I would say that most 300 magnum owners don't practice enough with their rifles, too. Maybe because of recoil. :)

I think the guys that recoil beats up the most are the tall bone rack types. But I've seen some pretty small women soak up some serious recoil without problem. Much of recoil is dependent on stock material and fit. Tolerating recoil is mostly mental.

RainyLaker
10-26-2021, 11:44 AM
I used to think the number of guns I needed was n+1 where n is the number I have. Reading this it sounds like it's n+5.

I've had my firearms license for 30 years but just bought my first weapons this year. Sauer 80 300wm with an old Zeiss scope (2nd hand Cabelas) and a Citori Sporting o/u for waterfowl and upland birds for now. Need to get a 10/22 and a .22 rascal for the kids. I think a 270 is on the list too.

Harvest the Land
10-26-2021, 12:08 PM
The 7 RM is a fantastic all around cartridge. A great blend of high performance without the recoil of a 300 magnum. Although I don't own one anymore I have seen everything from yotes to coastal grizzly drop to the 7RM. I would say it's best when handloaded as some of the factory ammo is anemic. But there are also some premium factory offerings that take advantage of it's potential.

Although I have had a strict "No Wildcat Cartridge" policy for many years I sure would be tempted to build a 7mm-375 Ruger (Basically a necked down 300 PRC) It would have more case capacity than the 7RM, do away with the superfluous belt ad be designed to utilize modern high BC bullets. But I just had a custom 6.5 PRC built and it's performance is pretty similar to a 7RM so it's probably not going to happen. :)

All 300 magnums have recoil. I would say that most 300 magnum owners don't practice enough with their rifles, too. Maybe because of recoil. :)

I think the guys that recoil beats up the most are the tall bone rack types. But I've seen some pretty small women soak up some serious recoil without problem. Much of recoil is dependent on stock material and fit. Tolerating recoil is mostly mental.

Appreciate the feedback from an expert Gates. The 7mm RM is the next caliber I will be purchasing and probably will put a Swaro Z5 on it. Was reading through older posts from years back and saw you making a strong case for the 7mm back then; as well as saw Husky7mm posting a pic with a nice Grizz he took with his 7mm.

Will do more research on the 6.5 PRC. I think you're right about folks not practicing enough with their magnums - guessing many aren't suckers for punishment ;).

Deer_Slayer
10-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Justin? Is that you? You sneaky devil

Downwindtracker2
10-26-2021, 12:35 PM
I have never counted them, bad form, but I can name each one.

albravo2
10-26-2021, 01:21 PM
I'm covered from Grizzly bears to coyotes, with tons of overlap on all fronts. I could probably hunt everything with my .280ai, or a 6.5PRC but I really enjoy owning and shooting rifles so the number keeps growing.

I feel like I have enough rifles until WeatherbyFan lists one for sale. Then I start trying to come up with a reason to buy it.

Deer_Slayer
11-03-2021, 07:01 PM
That's terrible. I thought I was alone

Downwindtracker2
11-03-2021, 07:38 PM
I have the first rifle I ever bought, it would have done me fine. My two sons wanted to go hunting, so I needed a PAL. I started to reload so I could supply practice ammo with out breaking the bank. Then anything was possible.

Iron Glove
11-03-2021, 08:17 PM
OK, rifles - no shotguns or hand guns listed.
Total of 25 broken down as 16 Rim Fire, 8 centre fire, 1 rimfire / shot combo.
Calibres: .22, 22WMR, 17 HMR, 17 Mach2, 30-30, 9mm, 7.62x39, 243, 30-06, 308.
1 Restricted, all other NR.
Include single shot, bolt, lever, semi, pump, break action.
Slowly reducing the numbers, some are saved for Son, Son In Law and Grandaughter.

Hugh Mann
11-03-2021, 08:42 PM
Three rifles.

I used to have more. A lot more, but most of them ended up collecting dust as ammunition prices skyrocketed, so I downsized. At one point I had 20 or so assorted firearms.

Bustercluck
11-03-2021, 10:36 PM
I used to think the number of guns I needed was n+1 where n is the number I have. Reading this it sounds like it's n+5.

I've had my firearms license for 30 years but just bought my first weapons this year. Sauer 80 300wm with an old Zeiss scope (2nd hand Cabelas) and a Citori Sporting o/u for waterfowl and upland birds for now. Need to get a 10/22 and a .22 rascal for the kids. I think a 270 is on the list too.

I can appreciate your enthusiasm and I don’t want to rag on you, but can you not refer to your rifles/firearms as weapons? It sends the wrong message to people who aren’t part of the hunting/shooting community. I’m really not trying to be a Dick, but that term doesn’t do us any favours.

savage10
11-04-2021, 06:17 AM
Only 1 rifle so far (my first). 7mm rem mag