PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep Hunting Stigma

porthunter
10-21-2021, 03:07 PM
Well, lets get this going.

On a year of what is apparently a high take away year for stone sheep... conversation is needed. Additionally, is legal always right?

There's nothing wrong with taking a legal stone for your first ram IMO... but what about when guys are consistently taking 6/7 year old stone sheep year in and year out? Should there be a negative Stigma around this?

Lets hear it.

walks with deer
10-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Last i checked a male sheep can breed as early as 6months old...so full curl and or 8 year old rules i do not believe create more sheep. Just creates every sheep is a trophy..

adriaticum
10-21-2021, 03:19 PM
There should be no stigma related to someone successfully doing something legal.
It's not hunters' job to understand the big picture of wildlife numbers, (even though we all try to understand it and be involved)
It's the wildlife manager's job to determine if there is a harvestable surplus.

Bubbacanuck
10-21-2021, 03:25 PM
Follow the regs and take legal harvests. No shame.

Personal preference and or morale can come into play but that should not be expected of others.

Darksith
10-21-2021, 03:40 PM
Well, lets get this going.

On a year of what is apparently a high take away year for stone sheep... conversation is needed. Additionally, is legal always right?

There's nothing wrong with taking a legal stone for your first ram IMO... but what about when guys are consistently taking 6/7 year old stone sheep year in and year out? Should there be a negative Stigma around this?

Lets hear it.

As a hunter, why would you want to take a "just legal" ram year after year? Do guys actually do this? I won't shoot a mule deer unless its the biggest mule deer for me to date, and if I shoot one then the bar just moved for the next one. This is just me, I don't frown on anyone that doesn't care and just takes a legal mule deer, but a sheep is a different entity, its a different challenge. Wouldn't it get boring just killing 7 year olds? Wouldn't you as a hunter strive to shoot the next age class of sheep after a few successful hunts? I suspect this is the case, can you show us where there are guys just taking the first legal ram they see year in and year out? I know guys that are in the >1 club and won't shoot a ram less than 10 years old.
Its not different than the 5 point heard bull elk debacle. Instead of lots of big 6's we have removed them from the gene pool and replaced them with huge 5 points that are the breeders. Anyone that says otherwise bc a sheep can breed at 6 months old or 5 years is missing the point BC the sheep compete for breeding rights and the big boys breed most of the girls, why wouldn't you want to keep this class of rams genes in the mix?

weed782
10-21-2021, 04:23 PM
There should be no negative stigma applied to a fellow hunter enjoying time in the wilderness, following all the rules and celebrating success. Any implied morales and ethics additional to the rules and regulations are to be owned, and held, by the one implying them.

Seriously, how many guys are heading in on a sheep hunt and harvesting a 7 year old full curl "year in year out" anyhow?................

jac
10-21-2021, 04:32 PM
My personal opinion and not to be confused as being legal or not. If you already have one on the wall I don’t see the need to take another unless it’s a beauty and bigger or more unique then the last. But this is just my opinion and i’m still in the <1 club haha

Weatherby Fan
10-21-2021, 04:50 PM
Well legal is legal after that it’s just someone’s opinion of what’s right, for myself I’ve got pretty lofty goals for my first Stone Ram….with that being said I’ll probably go without shooting one but heck I just like hunting, I don’t need to kill something when I go hunting…..regardless of the animal being hunted.

Gateholio
10-21-2021, 05:18 PM
If someone is worried about being stigmatized or stigmatizing someone else for shooting a legal animal maybe their priorities are messed up. In all aspects of my life -There are only a handful of people I actually care about their opinion of me. I sure wouldn't care if some random internet folks think negatively of an animal I decided to shoot.

A hunt is so much more than the size of an animal. Shoot whatever makes you happy and don't worry too much about what animals make other people happy.

ACB
10-21-2021, 05:26 PM
I'm not certain but I thought there used to be a regulation that if you took a Ram you were done for like 3 years, does this not apply anymore?

porthunter
10-21-2021, 05:30 PM
I'm not certain but I thought there used to be a regulation that if you took a Ram you were done for like 3 years, does this not apply anymore?

There was for thinhorns previously but it was removed some time ago.

Alberta still carries a 1 in 2 rule where you take a year off.

Interesting feedback, harvesting nannies is legal as well, but has contributed to the loss of hunting opportunity in areas with in our province... just saying, more food for thought. Keep 'er going, I love it. #makebcsheephuntinggreatagain

porthunter
10-21-2021, 05:38 PM
Last i checked a male sheep can breed as early as 6months old...so full curl and or 8 year old rules i do not believe create more sheep. Just creates every sheep is a trophy..

Hmmm... well I'd say its hard not to argue that sheep aren't on somewhat of a pedestal(trophy?)... at between $60k-100k USD to hunt sheep in BC, guy's aren't doing it for just the meat. I mean, I don't know any sheep hunter that does it for the meat alone? Now the adventure, the pain, the agony and the allure of chasing mature rams is where a lot of guys are at.

rageous
10-21-2021, 05:45 PM
Remember, the mountains have eyes.

leadpillproductions
10-21-2021, 05:51 PM
I'd like for them to go back to under age sheep by age
Loose your next year to hunt them

264mag
10-21-2021, 06:11 PM
It’s a tough discussion. I have yet to kill my first ram and have passed on 2 broomed rams and one young legal ram. Our regulations are written poorly and need to be cleaned up.
Example: “8 years as evidenced by true annuli”. Sometimes not possible on a broomed ram.
“Do not use yearly horn growth annuli to determine the age of a ram in the field because “false” annuli may be present”.

The poorly written regs are scary enough in themselves. The reality is you are at the mercy of the CI.

My partner shot a very nice mature double broomed ram last year. The CI said he aged it at 8 but other CI’s might call him 9.

When I do shoot my first ram it will be mature and it will be a double broomer.

In my opinion we should have very simple definitive rules when it comes to aging sheep.

Maybe double broom, or full curl only?

I also think one in 3 is reasonable and will slow the momentum down on sheep getting killed under age.

Interesting discussion!

walks with deer
10-21-2021, 06:54 PM
As a hunter, why would you want to take a "just legal" ram year after year? Do guys actually do this? I won't shoot a mule deer unless its the biggest mule deer for me to date, and if I shoot one then the bar just moved for the next one. This is just me, I don't frown on anyone that doesn't care and just takes a legal mule deer, but a sheep is a different entity, its a different challenge. Wouldn't it get boring just killing 7 year olds? Wouldn't you as a hunter strive to shoot the next age class of sheep after a few successful hunts? I suspect this is the case, can you show us where there are guys just taking the first legal ram they see year in and year out? I know guys that are in the >1 club and won't shoot a ram less than 10 years old.
Its not different than the 5 point heard bull elk debacle. Instead of lots of big 6's we have removed them from the gene pool and replaced them with huge 5 points that are the breeders. Anyone that says otherwise bc a sheep can breed at 6 months old or 5 years is missing the point BC the sheep compete for breeding rights and the big boys breed most of the girls, why wouldn't you want to keep this class of rams genes in the mix?

By no means am i saying lets shoot any ram i am saying the rules are in place to increase harvest quality...personally i would way rather pass on sheeo and shoot a two point moose as my familys diet relys on quality meat.

I would rather kill a 2 year old 3 point buck that dresses 140 than a 12 year old 200class buck thats regressed and dresses 90

Sitkaspruce
10-21-2021, 07:07 PM
When and Why did they introduce the age rule? When I chased them around, we always looked for full curl as that was what we had. I couldn't imagine sitting behind my old Spacemater trying to count age on a ram at 400+ yards!! Now days I couldn't imagine sitting and counting behind any spotting scope!

Was the age added because there was pressure from the outfitters to shoot broomed rams? Or was it because there was less full curl rams around?

Interesting that some hunters are shooting young full curl rams every year (if they are...). Is that because they kill the first ram they see (Have to kill something.....), too lazy to look for a bigger ram, too many hunters hunting the same area so take the first legal ram they see or just not that many full curl rams running around in the hills?

Cheers

SS

Imdone
10-21-2021, 07:44 PM
I like the one in three year rule imo for Stones or Dalls

One in five for Bighorn imo

eatram
10-21-2021, 08:26 PM
Would you or would you not take this guy? Sorry for the low resolution but watch it to the end...

https://youtu.be/-RlKmeT6Ttg

PS. It's related to this topic

jac
10-22-2021, 07:10 AM
not the best view but it looks like a full curl ram. Its back looks pretty straight so I’m guess not that old yet. Do u know the age of the Ram? If so let me know if I was close

Dirty
10-22-2021, 07:43 AM
I think all BC residents should shoot the first legal ram they see regardless of age. It’s better off that a resident shoots it so that the outfitters can’t sell it to a non-resident. They should make it 1 in 5 for non-residents too. While they are at it they should offer a course for BC sheep hunters about how to keep your mouth shut and not post on Instagram so everybody can see how big of a hero you are with your long distance rifle. Biggest problem in BC is big mouth young guys sharing too much information that they never had to earn. #sickofit …. Oops I mean #sickforit

boxhitch
10-22-2021, 08:47 AM
Kind of early in the winter for a 'hunter judging hunter' thread isn't it

Where did the info come from that points to 'too many' or 'too young' or 'too many for Him'

1000 new sheep hunters? nothing close to that, higher than last year but still fewer than 4 years ago

Eatsleephunt
10-22-2021, 09:13 AM
Residents should shoot the first legal ram they see? Regardless of age, or how many sheep they’ve killed before, purely out of spite to outfitters and non-residents? I realize resident hunters and outfitters are sometimes at odds in the field but they have families to feed as well. And both parties should want to see the populations of wildlife strong and healthy.

I think this is a terrible attitude to have and the wrong message to send to younger sheep hunters or guys looking to get into sheep hunting. There’s nothing at all wrong with passing on a young legal ram that you aren’t excited about hanging on your wall. Remember, the regulations are passed by people in government that have likely never seen a stone sheep in the wild. If the bios and COs were the ones to make the laws I’m sure things would be different.

Sheep hunting is about so much more than the simple pulling of a trigger. It has been that way for many decades and we should all hope it remains that way for many to come.

porthunter
10-22-2021, 09:13 AM
Kind of early in the winter for a 'hunter judging hunter' thread isn't it

Where did the info come from that points to 'too many' or 'too young' or 'too many for Him'

1000 new sheep hunters? nothing close to that, higher than last year but still fewer than 4 years ago

Sheep seasons done now I guess? More just trying to open up conversation and get everyone's take.

porthunter
10-22-2021, 09:18 AM
Additionally, I think a stigma around taking young rams makes one think before pulling the trigger a little more? In turn maybe helping reduce what we saw this year in terms of illegal harvest of short/young thin horn rams?

Falcodedati
10-22-2021, 09:50 AM
A stigma could be developed if the overall community took on the attitude of being more discriminating towards the taking of younger legal rams, but I see a few problems with this.

The way I understand the regulations to be set up, we are already managing for age class. So the taking of a young ram already carries a fairly heavy stigma, confiscation of the animal and the ruin of an adventure. Name and shame possibly? I always feel like shying away from endorsing an institutionalized name and shame campaign as mistakes can and do happen.
Stiffer penalties on the baseline perhaps could cause people to give more pause to pulling the trigger? Could give someone pause, or it could have no impact whatsoever.

Sheep hunting is already elitist, and for good reason. Anyone willing to take it on is generally going to be willing to embrace some serious suck. I wouldn't want to take away from that success of having a legal animal on the ground with judgement of it based on our own subjective opinion of its size.

I would say more could be done on the education side of things. Maybe instead of simply receiving a sheep tag when I order it, maybe some resources should accompany it? Education is going to be the answer to preventing illegal harvest in my opinion. Having a more knowledgeable average hunter would be significantly more effective then having a hunter scared of what a community that they may not feel any real kinship too think of them.

DMD
10-22-2021, 10:36 AM
Interesting topic to discuss as many opinions exist.

Porthunter do you have any data about an increase in Stone Sheep harvest? If so could you please provide some further information?

In my mind if a ram is clearly legal I have no objection or judgment of a hunter taking it. I am not referring to shoot first, check after kind of ram but in some places there are 6 or 7 year old rams that are clearly full curl. Being judged by others on a legal harvest is a very slippery slope. Sheep hunting means many different things to many different people. Some are in it for the trophy on the wall, others for the memorable memories spent in the mountains with friends and others really enjoy the meat. I for one would take stone sheep meat over any other ungulate I have tried, hands down.

Equating a young legal ram to a nanny seems like a very unfair comparison. The regulations clearly state what a constitutes a legal ram, they do not ask that you do your best to harvest an animal much bigger than these requirements. With goats the regs clearly state that you are encouraged to do your best to harvest a billy and that if too many nanny's are taken harvest opportunities will be decreased. The taking of female animals, especially mountain goats has a far greater impact on the population than taking legal, though young males.

It seems like sheep hunting has been exploding in popularity the past few years. I think a lot of this has to do with the internet and social media. People really seem to like to brag about their conquests in the sheep mountains wether it's individuals or companies creating content trying to get you to buy their latest ultra lightweight carbon rifle or their new supper dupper hydrator supplement. It's the same with many other activities. Ski touring/mountaineering has seen the same explosion in interest with the rise of social media content. More people are being exposed to these great activities and wanting to participate. Solving the problem of how to accomadate all these users is a tough question to answer.

Anyways, it would be good to see some actual data on stone sheep harvest and participation before being able to discuss solutions.

boxhitch
10-22-2021, 11:01 AM
Sheep seasons done now I guess? More just trying to open up conversation and get everyone's take.My post was in jest, should have a smily :)
always good to have open conversation )

bcsteve
10-22-2021, 11:17 AM
Additionally, I think a stigma around taking young rams makes one think before pulling the trigger a little more? In turn maybe helping reduce what we saw this year in terms of illegal harvest of short/young thin horn rams?
Whats next, shamming hunters who shoot anything but a 4 point buck in any buck season?

porthunter
10-22-2021, 11:29 AM
My post was in jest, should have a smily :)
always good to have open conversation )

hahah fair enough, I agree. I figured there would be some backlash but think above all, conversation is key.

Interesting topic to discuss as many opinions exist.

Porthunter do you have any data about an increase in Stone Sheep harvest? If so could you please provide some further information?

In my mind if a ram is clearly legal I have no objection or judgment of a hunter taking it. I am not referring to shoot first, check after kind of ram but in some places there are 6 or 7 year old rams that are clearly full curl. Being judged by others on a legal harvest is a very slippery slope. Sheep hunting means many different things to many different people. Some are in it for the trophy on the wall, others for the memorable memories spent in the mountains with friends and others really enjoy the meat. I for one would take stone sheep meat over any other ungulate I have tried, hands down.

Equating a young legal ram to a nanny seems like a very unfair comparison. The regulations clearly state what a constitutes a legal ram, they do not ask that you do your best to harvest an animal much bigger than these requirements. With goats the regs clearly state that you are encouraged to do your best to harvest a billy and that if too many nanny's are taken harvest opportunities will be decreased. The taking of female animals, especially mountain goats has a far greater impact on the population than taking legal, though young males.

It seems like sheep hunting has been exploding in popularity the past few years. I think a lot of this has to do with the internet and social media. People really seem to like to brag about their conquests in the sheep mountains wether it's individuals or companies creating content trying to get you to buy their latest ultra lightweight carbon rifle or their new supper dupper hydrator supplement. It's the same with many other activities. Ski touring/mountaineering has seen the same explosion in interest with the rise of social media content. More people are being exposed to these great activities and wanting to participate. Solving the problem of how to accomadate all these users is a tough question to answer.

Anyways, it would be good to see some actual data on stone sheep harvest and participation before being able to discuss solutions.

Official numbers have not yet been released from this year but supposedly should be coming out soon, from what I am told, there is a big increase in younger ram harvest and illegal harvest.

I was maybe being a little un fair with the nanny comparison, more so just saying legal isn't always right and I personally don't always agree with the if it's legal, it's fine attitude.

Education and conversation IMO are the best option, just need to make it happen.

Whats next, shamming hunters who shoot anything but a 4 point buck in any buck season?

I hold sheep in a much higher regard than mule deer personally, but it's totally different management.

With that being said, for optimal herd quality/dynamic and buck quality in mule deer, even harvest across all age classes of Mule deer is needed... not sure BC has even harvest across age class in Mule deer but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, we talking curly tops :-o

Rackmastr
10-22-2021, 03:07 PM
It's not like this is something that's put to a vote and then everyone follows suit. If you want to have a negative stigma about something, then pursue it. Those that don't care to, won't.

In the end, I don't think "stigmas" do much for conservation or for the hunting community, but it sure seems like it's powerful on social media, where a bunch of guys seem to value over other things. Positive messaging, education, collaboration and conversation about forward thinking ideas with regulation changes where needed seem like a lot better way to look at fulfilling long term objectives for our sheep.

zippermouth
10-22-2021, 09:22 PM
The wild sheep society of BC is a great organization, for any hunter wanting to go on a sheep hunt to join. They talk all about aging sheep and the importance of taking mature rams. The last sheep show I went to the biologist was stressing how important it is to select mature rams as too many young rams in certain regions are being killed. I feel a more important question to hunters wanting to hunt sheep should be what is the best way to keep hunting sheep in the future. Because killing 6 and 7 year old rams is sure to lead to LEH or other restrictive hunting seasons.

mod7rem
10-22-2021, 10:11 PM

Everything I’ve ever read about sheep, claims that the bulk of breeding is done by rams in the 5-7 year age range. They are a higher percentage of the ram population, less accumulation of wear and tear, more energy, more opportunity. Rams physically age out quickly. The oldest ram we’ve killed was 12 and although his teeth looked ok and he had a decent amount of fat on him in early sept, he could hardly keep the younger rams he was with off of him, and appeared to be a step behind for the whole time we watched until we could eventually connect on him. The other rams were in the 6-7 age. One thing you realize from lots of sheep hunting, is that ram life is rough.

I think a legal ram is a legal ram. No stigma should be attached at all, just personal preference. If there is a sustainability problem with the current management practice, then that should be adjusted, region by region.

I can’t remember if it was in region 6 and 7, but I remember the rule for thinhorn was if you shot a legal ram (full curl) that was less than 8 years old, you couldn’t shoot another one for three years. An 8 year old ram and older could be shot every year. I think it changed in 2004-2005.

mod7rem
10-22-2021, 10:32 PM
Would you or would you not take this guy? Sorry for the low resolution but watch it to the end...

https://youtu.be/-RlKmeT6Ttg

PS. It's related to this topic

Hard to tell for sure from the video, but looks like a full curl ram with a tight curl and lamb tip on left side and not a lot of weight in the lower part of the horn. My first thought would be a young ram. Not unusual for old rams to have slim horns, but if it was older (7+) with a tight curl like that, I’d expect that lamb tip to have been busted off already.
What can you tell us about him?

Bear Chaser
10-22-2021, 11:14 PM
I’ll be the grumpy asshole.
Stop shooting 7 year old rams unless you want to see limited sheep hunting opportunities when it’s moved to LEH.
There absolutely should be a stigma towards shooting 7 year old rams. Stone sheep aren’t like deer where literally every licensed hunter in the province has the opportunity to hunt them. They occur in relatively small areas of the province making them an extremely limited resource.
Hunters who shoot a legal ram every year regardless of age and number of rams taken previously are to be quite honest the most selfish pieces of slime in our community. They hunt for all the wrong reasons. Street cred, bragging rights, and an attention seeking ego make for piss poor conservationists and ambassadors of the hunting community.

srupp
10-22-2021, 11:23 PM
Hmm passed on a LOT of stone sheep..shot 1 cranker..never felt I would best it THANKS KEVIN AND SCOTT.
I passed on 2 lemon legal dall sheep stupid decisions sheep days are over.
For FIRST stone shoot legal ram. Then get picky. 8..9.10 year old gadgets or on their way out.
Cheers
Srupp

Treed
10-22-2021, 11:38 PM
I like to go hunting. I haven’t hunted sheep but most of my mulie hunting is subalpine. I don’t really give a flying duck about it being the biggest I’ve ever shot. I care about how much I enjoyed the hunt. How beautiful it was. How much I explored. The time with my friend (yes, either solo or my cousin who hunts like me, also works in the bush, and I don’t have to worry about and he doesn’t have to worry about me). How awful the haul out was - sucks at the time but I love the memories. How good the food is. The size of the antlers, horns, etc is a bonus. If it’s legal, it’s hunter’s choice.

porthunter
10-23-2021, 09:26 AM
I like to go hunting. I haven’t hunted sheep but most of my mulie hunting is subalpine. I don’t really give a flying duck about it being the biggest I’ve ever shot. I care about how much I enjoyed the hunt. How beautiful it was. How much I explored. The time with my friend (yes, either solo or my cousin who hunts like me, also works in the bush, and I don’t have to worry about and he doesn’t have to worry about me). How awful the haul out was - sucks at the time but I love the memories. How good the food is. The size of the antlers, horns, etc is a bonus. If it’s legal, it’s hunter’s choice.

Quick note, I never implied size... age is what I'm referring to. There's 10 year old rams on the mountain that'll struggle to break 150" and 7 year olds that are already 40".

Harv
10-23-2021, 10:24 AM
I went on my first solo sheep hunt when I was 23. I was dead set on learning how to sheep hunt even though I knew nothing about them and had no mentor. im now 33 years old and still in the <1 club. I have hiked off the highway 6 times in the past 10 years. each time learning more and more (more often than not, the hard way). after the third solo trip I actually started finding rams, some were very close to legal but ive yet to find a legal one. but one thing is for sure, the first legal ram I find is going down regardless of age. after that, ill be looking for the stud from now on. I totally get where you are coming from though. I am an avid blacktail hunter on the island, and it bugs me when small bucks are taken year after year by hunters. but I will never try and tell them to stop, I just lead by example and let the little ones walk. eventually I found my buddies doing the same thing. if you always shoot little ones there will never be big ones... its not rocket appliances. ive definitely noticed sheep hunting has become a fad over the last few years and I personally think there needs to be some mandatory education about judging sheep before you can buy a tag. the amount of illegal harvests this year is sickening and something needs to change. ive been there staring at a ram through a spotting scope trying to make them grow, but if you have half a brain you know its not gunna happen.

Walking Buffalo
10-23-2021, 11:24 AM
hahah fair enough, I agree. I figured there would be some backlash but think above all, conversation is key.

Official numbers have not yet been released from this year but supposedly should be coming out soon, from what I am told, there is a big increase in younger ram harvest and illegal harvest.

I was maybe being a little un fair with the nanny comparison, more so just saying legal isn't always right and I personally don't always agree with the if it's legal, it's fine attitude.

Education and conversation IMO are the best option, just need to make it happen.

I hold sheep in a much higher regard than mule deer personally, but it's totally different management.

With that being said, for optimal herd quality/dynamic and buck quality in mule deer, even harvest across all age classes of Mule deer is needed... not sure BC has even harvest across age class in Mule deer but I could be wrong. Nonetheless, we talking curly tops :-o

The most likely reason for an increase in younger legal rams harvested is that there are more of them than in a typical year.
This could be a very good sign of exceptional recruitment and vigor of the sheep population.

Remember or learn. Sheep are notorious for following the "live fast, die young" lifestyle.
Rams that mature quicker, grow faster, also die earlier, whether from a bullet or from other natural causes....

It's too bad that the sheep hunting community has become so fixated on the 8 year old mantra.... like 8 is some magical number...
Biologically, it is not very relevant to having a healthy population of sheep.

kitnayakwa77
10-23-2021, 11:47 AM
Don’t want to be another voice chirping but here’s my thoughts...I think comparing legal ram size is a dick measuring contest. Legal is legal and makes no discernible difference to population dynamics , unlike taking a nanny which has a ecological price. Young but legal rams vs nannies is apples to oranges comparison. If you’re hunting sheep to show it off on social media then I hope you aren’t successful, because you are doing it for the wrong reason IMO. There’s much more to sheep hunting then an animal on the ground....Let’s not turn into elitists and further shame and divide the hunting community. Tooting your own horn and giving away info all over Instagram should maybe be considered the bigger problem? As well the social media mentality of showing off probably is a contributing factor to people making poor decisions on legality of sheep...

Grizz.325
10-23-2021, 01:13 PM
I’ve been on 6 stone sheep hunts over the years. I have wanted a sheep on my wall for years, but after my first hunt I realized I wanted to do it again to be in the country that rams live in. All my sheep hunts have been tough, hard fought, blood, sweat and tears kinda hunts. I love exploring new country. I’ve seen several broomed rams that were likely legal but I’ve seen likely legal bloomed rams confiscated so I’ve always passed. Full curl rams have been hard to find.

This year I agonized over a Beautiful boomed ram that was likely 9 but with heat waves it was hard to confirm. I decided to pass and it was one of the hardest things I’ve passed on in my hunting career. Later we came across that same ram in a group with 7 other rams. The biggest by curl was a beautiful 7 year old with lamb tips over 3” above his nose. He bedded next to the broomed ram I would have been happy with either Ram and would have rathered the 9 year old but I wasn’t willing to chance that I had made a mistake counting rings so I harvested a fantastic 7 year old. My first sheep in 6 tries. I couldnt be happier and he will be on my wall to remind me of all the hard work in making my dream come true. Will I kill another 7 year old? Likely not, I’m hoping to shoot a 10 year old bloomed ram next year. ��

Rackmastr
10-23-2021, 02:57 PM
I'm surprised I'm even allowed in the sheep hunting community. I've got a 4 year old ram at home on the wall that's over the bridge of the nose. Somehow wasn't shunned but Instagram wasn't around back then either lol

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2021, 04:14 PM
Stigma- "a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality or person"

After hanging around the WSS a bit I know that it has been said or suggested in a conservation minded way that after you have harvested a legal ram or just legal ram ie-squeaker, or just full curl.....that you should look for a more mature ram and theres nothing wrong with the suggestion, and I have never heard anyone ridicule another for shooting a just legal Ram or more than one for that matter.

I kind of agree with that thought process as I have the same thinking for Mule Deer that I apply to myself, a good example is my Nephew Dylan, he's shot a few 4 pt Mule Deer and always says he wants a whopper, so I tell him the only way to do that is don't shoot a small 4 pt hold out for a bigger one and yes your going to go without some years but so be it if you really want a big buck you'll go without more often than not.

In the end if a hunter wants to shoot a just legal ram every year legally than theres nothing wrong with it as long as its Legal, its their right to do so.

Imdone
10-23-2021, 04:33 PM
Stigma- "a mark of disgrace associated with a particular circumstance, quality or person"

After hanging around the WSS a bit I know that it has been said or suggested in a conservation minded way that after you have harvested a legal ram or just legal ram ie-squeaker, or just full curl.....that you should look for a more mature ram and theres nothing wrong with the suggestion, and I have never heard anyone ridicule another for shooting a just legal Ram or more than one for that matter.

I kind of agree with that thought process as I have the same thinking for Mule Deer that I apply to myself, a good example is my Nephew Dylan, he's shot a few 4 pt Mule Deer and always says he wants a whopper, so I tell him the only way to do that is don't shoot a small 4 pt hold out for a bigger one and yes your going to go without some years but so be it if you really want a big buck you'll go without more often than not.

In the end if a hunter wants to shoot a just legal ram every year legally than theres nothing wrong with it as long as its Legal, its their right to do so.

Not disagreeing with you in any way shape or form But indeed, on this very site, there were several members on this site past and present, some members also of WSSBC, GOABC who a few years back hammered upon few guys that shot legal squeakers. Some of these guys are no longer on here, some are dead too so impossible to post lol.

But yes, the judgement by many is alive and well, the eletists still exist, like some bow hunters or fly fishers. ��

2chodi
10-23-2021, 07:14 PM
Number of sheep licences sold to residents by year.

05/06
06/07
07/08
08/09
09/10
10/11
11/12
12/13
13/14
14/15
15/16
16/17
17/18
18/19
19/20
20/21
21/22 (To September 20, 2021)

Mountain Sheep

Weatherby Fan
10-23-2021, 08:58 PM
Not disagreeing with you in any way shape or form But indeed, on this very site, there were several members on this site past and present, some members also of WSSBC, GOABC who a few years back hammered upon few guys that shot legal squeakers. Some of these guys are no longer on here, some are dead too so impossible to post lol.

But yes, the judgement by many is alive and well, the eletists still exist, like some bow hunters or fly fishers. ��

Absolutely there are always those that love to pass judgement no question and there shouldn't be, in the end it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as its legal to do so and you're happy with your decision, what you shoot should have no bearing on what makes someone else happy or let their opinion affect your decision.