PDA

View Full Version : Is 6.5 creedmore enough?

walks with deer
10-18-2021, 10:07 PM
Was working today in the yard and heard a weird noise.
There was a whitetail buck at 10yds..grabbed the closest gun my daughters 6.5 and shot the buck in the heart at 30 yds no exit..wow what a puny gun anybody that says its a moose gun is on glue.

browningboy
10-18-2021, 10:33 PM
Maybe a weak load? Who knows but they shoot far and flat?

twoSevenO
10-18-2021, 10:35 PM
6.5cm is not popular because of the energy it delivers on target.

REMINGTON JIM
10-18-2021, 10:59 PM
There was a whitetail buck at 10yds..grabbed the closest gun my daughters 6.5 and shot the buck in the heart at 30 yds no exit..wow what a puny gun anybody that says its a moose gun is on glue.

TROLL ! :smile: LOL what bullet -load where you usin Kid ? Pappa RJ

Gateholio
10-19-2021, 06:00 AM
Why do you think the bullet didn't exit?

Ride Red
10-19-2021, 06:08 AM

Stop putting .22 shells in your 6.5.

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 06:15 AM
TROLL ! :smile: LOL what bullet -load where you usin Kid ? Pappa RJ

Federal premium130grain terminal ascent..

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 06:17 AM
Why do you think the bullet didn't exit?

Well there is a hole going in and not one going out. Deer is all cleaned up..

Wentrot
10-19-2021, 06:25 AM
Shot so fast that it left no hole. You’ll get used to it.

Gateholio
10-19-2021, 06:26 AM

I understand you didn't find an exit wound. I was interested in what the bullet did. Why didn't it exit? Did it blow up? What did the recovered bullet look like?

koothunter
10-19-2021, 06:31 AM
Caliber and bullet selection are 2 very different things. To say a cartridge is crap because you didn't like the bullet performance is really uneducated. The bullet dumped all it's energy into the buck and the buck is dead. What more do you want??

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 06:49 AM
I understand you didn't find an exit wound. I was interested in what the bullet did. Why didn't it exit? Did it blow up? What did the recovered bullet look like?

I would say it deflected down and bounced around the insides like a bouncy ball....

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 06:52 AM
Caliber and bullet selection are 2 very different things. To say a cartridge is crap because you didn't like the bullet performance is really uneducated. The bullet dumped all it's energy into the buck and the buck is dead. What more do you want??

Didnt say its crap just said i have seen people carrying them for elk and moose and i would think thats a mistake. So what would you do get. Solid copper bullet and then have a small needle hole go through the animal without opening...

Gateholio
10-19-2021, 06:56 AM
Terminal Ascent has a solid copper shank, even at close range I would be surprised if the whole shank blew up. I've never used one though, so no real life experience with one.

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 06:58 AM
I dont think it blew up i think it got in and bounced around i will say the insides where ripped to shreds...

Gateholio
10-19-2021, 06:59 AM
Probably kill a moose just fine then.

RackStar
10-19-2021, 06:59 AM
once you grow your man bun a bit more, you get a extra 300fps. Turns into a fine moose gun. I think it’s a user operation error.

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 07:03 AM
once you grow your man bun a bit more, you get a extra 300fps. Turns into a fine moose gun. I think it’s a user operation error.

I see thats my problem...i better eitheir finish the bun off getting pretty long hair right now or give it back to my daughter..lol

st99
10-19-2021, 07:14 AM
Did the deer die?
Did you recover it?
If you answer yes to both questions, I'd say it all worked out perfectly.

I shot a moose with my 45-70, no exit hole. It doesn't mean 45-70 is too weak for moose. Exit hole are over rated.

Rayne
10-19-2021, 07:19 AM
Karo you know better lol. I shot a blacktail two years ago with a .300wsm at 30 yards and didn’t get a pass through. Bones happen.

RyoTHC
10-19-2021, 07:47 AM

hard for a solid copper shank bullet to blow up lol. Those bullets and their little bro have harvested over a dozen animals for me.

I also started hunting with a 6.5CM and after less than stellar results upgraded to .30 cal. It might be an island deer or doe caliber but anything thick muscular and big boned and it falls dramatically short unless you’re a perfect shot and most hunters couldn’t be further from that, the targets I’ve witnessed at the range before hunting season with hunters coming to zero their guns at 100 is absolutely horrifying.

you just may be in the minority of actual good shooters who also hunt and then caliber doesn’t mean much… even a .223 perfectly in the heart will drop a moose every time..
also depends how much you enjoy tracking lol

Gateholio
10-19-2021, 08:21 AM
hard for a solid copper shank bullet to blow up lol. Those bullets and their little bro have harvested over a dozen animals for me.

I also started hunting with a 6.5CM and after less than stellar results upgraded to .30 cal. It might be an island deer or doe caliber but anything thick muscular and big boned and it falls dramatically short unless you’re a perfect shot and most hunters couldn’t be further from that, the targets I’ve witnessed at the range before hunting season with hunters coming to zero their guns at 100 is absolutely horrifying.

you just may be in the minority of actual good shooters who also hunt and then caliber doesn’t mean much… even a .223 perfectly in the heart will drop a moose every time..
also depends how much you enjoy tracking lol

Putting a bullet in the wrong place isn't really the fault of the cartridge.

Long before the 6.5 CM existed people were killing moose and elk with similar cartridges like the 7-08 and 6.5x55. I would even throw the .270 in there for comparison, especially as it's been around a long time and many factory loads from the not too distant past are similar to the 6.5 CM performance and the moose still died.

REMINGTON JIM
10-19-2021, 08:22 AM

You - Your Kids have already KILLED other deer - what was the bullet performance like on those DEAD Deer ? RJ

Yuritau
10-19-2021, 08:45 AM
I dont think it blew up i think it got in and bounced around i will say the insides where ripped to shreds...

A fast bullet that dumps all its energy inside the deer will definitely destroy a lot of the internal organs. Sorta what they're intended to do.

todbartell
10-19-2021, 08:52 AM
i have seen people carrying them for elk and moose and i would think thats a mistake. So what would you do get. Solid copper bullet and then have a small needle hole go through the animal without opening...

https://i.imgur.com/QlHNWDE.jpg

twoSevenO
10-19-2021, 08:59 AM
Nice mullet

Arctic Lake
10-19-2021, 09:01 AM
Holy Mullet Batman !
Arctic Lake

Redthies
10-19-2021, 09:01 AM

Barnes TSX or TTSX?

Downwindtracker2
10-19-2021, 09:05 AM
Once a bullet leaves the barrel, cartridge is totally irrelevant. What matters is bullet diameter in regards to expansion, bullet construction in regards to expansion, bullet velocity in regards to expansion. All theses are terminal ballistics , they are what put the game down. For the flight, it is shape, sectional density and weight for retained velocity.

If the 6.5x54 Mannlicker has a fantastic rep , any 6.5 should be good. But it comes down to bullet choice.

todbartell
10-19-2021, 09:44 AM
Barnes TSX or TTSX?

TSX and TTSX

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 09:55 AM
TSX and TTSX

Was the mullet in a manbun to harness the creedmore power???? All joking aside i am sure both those great animals where harvested broadside less than 100yds and that young mullet boy hanging with you and in the north gets more opurtunity at large ungulates than 90of hunters in bc..patience would be key your notbshooting that bull at 250in the chest head on like you would with say a 300 or 338

walks with deer
10-19-2021, 09:59 AM
You - Your Kids have already KILLED other deer - what was the bullet performance like on those DEAD Deer ? RJ

Those great bucks my son shot where all with his cutom made 30-06 150 hornady...my daughters gun was still in my truck from sundays hunt which was succeful aswell and we had not taken her gun out of the truck yet hence first lead flown out of 6.5 at something bigger than a yote.

I think it did exit out the bottom and not the rib cages after being a bouncy ball inside there. Deflection of 90degrees down...all that said heart was a ball of congealed mush.

dmaxtech
10-19-2021, 10:07 AM
Dead is Dead. All about shot placement. You could kill a moose with a .22LR if you could get the right shot. (Not that an am condoning such behavior)

todbartell
10-19-2021, 10:16 AM
patience would be key your notbshooting that bull at 250in the chest head on like you would with say a 300 or 338

the moose was quartering-to at 163y

I had a Barnes 7mm deflect on an elk after the bullet clipped the spine and it exited lower in the shoulder on the far side. I have never seen evidence of any bullet "bouncing around" the vitals

xlcc
10-19-2021, 11:01 AM

So what's the problem?

todbartell
10-19-2021, 11:25 AM

here's a thread on 30-06 for clean kills on black bear

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?167004-Ethical-Bear-Ballistics-in-30-06

blacksn95
10-19-2021, 11:58 AM
I've shoot large Mule deer bucks with 143eldx from
250 yards out to 600 yards and the bullets always pass through.. though For moose and elk I would go for the .300wsm

tyreguy
10-19-2021, 03:31 PM
Business up front, party in the back!! Joe Dirt goes hunting!!

Holy Mullet Batman !
Arctic Lake

MAMMOET
10-19-2021, 06:13 PM
Putting a bullet in the wrong place isn't really the fault of the cartridge.

Long before the 6.5 CM existed people were killing moose and elk with similar cartridges like the 7-08 and 6.5x55. I would even throw the .270 in there for comparison, especially as it's been around a long time and many factory loads from the not too distant past are similar to the 6.5 CM performance and the moose still died.
I agree with you Gateholio.
I shoot 30-06 for moose and 6.5x55 swede for deer.
My 65 swede shoots 140 gr nosler accubonds and is devestating on mulies and any deer for that matter.
I know they used to shoot moose in norway and sweden withy the swede but don't know if I would attempt that when I have a 30-06.

Bustercluck
10-19-2021, 07:07 PM
I love these threads. The 6.5 creed is no good for moose, but it’s little brother(marginally) the Swede has probably taken more moose in the world than any other cartridge.

IslandWanderer
10-19-2021, 07:19 PM
Do 6.5 cm's still come with a free yoga mat and a scrunchie for a man bun?

bcsteve
10-19-2021, 07:57 PM
I love these threads. The 6.5 creed is no good for moose, but it’s little brother(marginally) the Swede has probably taken more moose in the world than any other cartridge.
The Swede is actually the Creed’s big brother.

Grizz.325
10-19-2021, 08:20 PM
Got a new 6.5cm last year and tried it on an elk. Was an 80 yard shot, double lung shot, elk went about 70 yards and dropped dead.
My 6.5cm worked fantastic on my sheep this year. I was really impressed so I decided to pack it moose hunting. Shot a cranker B&C moose at 100 yrds. First shot was straight on, he spun broadside and I double lunged him once and hit him in the shoulder once before he ran off about 30 yards and went down. I did give him a finishing shot but it wasn’t needed. Lung shot was a pass through and I picked the bullet out of the far shoulder right next to the hide.

Shot placement is the key. This is not a caliber were you are going to want to take out front shoulders and break an animal down, but animals die quickly when lung shot. Keep it simple.

I have used a .325wsm for years and picked many a nicely mushroomed bullet off the far side of the hide on moose and elk and I was in the habit of shoulder shots

I m very surprised that a heart shot didn’t pass right through unless you hit ribs, even then I would expect it would.
Did you find your bullet??

bcsteve
10-19-2021, 08:57 PM
Got a new 6.5cm last year and tried it on an elk. Was an 80 yard shot, double lung shot, elk went about 70 yards and dropped dead.
My 6.5cm worked fantastic on my sheep this year. I was really impressed so I decided to pack it moose hunting. Shot a cranker B&C moose at 100 yrds. First shot was straight on, he spun broadside and I double lunged him once and hit him in the shoulder once before he ran off about 30 yards and went down. I did give him a finishing shot but it wasn’t needed. Lung shot was a pass through and I picked the bullet out of the far shoulder right next to the hide.

Shot placement is the key. This is not a caliber were you are going to want to take out front shoulders and break an animal down, but animals die quickly when lung shot. Keep it simple.

I have used a .325wsm for years and picked many a nicely mushroomed bullet off the far side of the hide on moose and elk and I was in the habit of shoulder shots

I m very surprised that a heart shot didn’t pass right through unless you hit ribs, even then I would expect it would.
Did you find your bullet??
Sounds like you had a great year! What bullet were you using?

sillybear
10-19-2021, 09:29 PM
In what part of the animals demise did the bullet fail?

bcshadow
10-19-2021, 09:52 PM

Agreed! Great cartridge.

Ohwildwon
10-19-2021, 09:56 PM
The bullet is just inside the skin, ready for reload..

Thats the beauty of the creedmore, scares them to death

Hugh Mann
10-19-2021, 11:02 PM
I’m going to guess the bullet deflected off bone or something and bounced around like folks are saying.

Over the spring I watched a guy put two terminal ascents through a black bear. Through and throughs at maybe 25m. (Two shots because the first was a spine shot, his first bear, was excited.)

Different bullet, but last year I smoked a whitetail buck at 220m with a 120 ttsx. Huge exit between the ribs. I would expect the copper shank of the TA to do something similar at close range.

mike_hodg
10-19-2021, 11:27 PM
6.5 creed at that range should punch straight through and still be a hazard, more than likely it was a bad load.

REMINGTON JIM
10-20-2021, 08:18 AM
Dead is Dead. All about shot placement. You could kill a moose with a .22LR if you could get the right shot. (Not that an am condoning such behavior)

Or with a 270 Win too ! Just sayin :p:lol: Lol. RJ

B-rad
10-20-2021, 08:26 AM
each to their own,,,,me personally,,,,im an old fashioned 308 fan,,,through and through

j270wsm
10-20-2021, 08:35 AM
My son shoots handloaded 140gr game kings at 2500fps in his 6.5x55. He’s taken 4 elk ranging between 160-320yds. Some shots were through and through, some weren’t.
Given that the creedmore and Swede are almost ballistic twins….there is no reason the creedmore can’t/won’t work on elk/moose.

BCHunterTV
10-20-2021, 07:22 PM
ive killed 2 caribou and 3 bears np with my 6.5 creedmoor. Furthest shot being 518 yards

todbartell
10-20-2021, 07:28 PM
anybody that says its a moose gun is on glue.

https://i.imgur.com/Bm8y82Q.jpg?1

10-20-2021, 08:03 PM

For comparison..
I shot a 650lb on the hook moose this year with a 338cal 250 Accubond moving at 3055fps. Moose was 150 yards uphill. Shot was full broadside entered right behind the elbow. ...the bullet did not exit. Blew my mind.

I know its a moose not a whitetail. But it was a 338RUM not a 6.5 Creed... point is, weird shit happens when you kill shit with guns.

Ironically i did actually put a shot at the base of its skull to finnish it with my wifes 6.5 creed lol

mauser
10-20-2021, 08:25 PM
For comparison..
I shot a 650lb on the hook moose this year with a 338cal 250 Accubond moving at 3055fps. Moose was 150 yards uphill. Shot was full broadside entered right behind the elbow. ...the bullet did not exit. Blew my mind.

I know its a moose not a whitetail. But it was a 338RUM not a 6.5 Creed... point is, weird shit happens when you kill shit with guns.

Ironically i did actually put a shot at the base of its skull to finnish it with my wifes 6.5 creed lol

Fast doesn't mean it'll penetrate lots. You get lots of energy getting dumped into the animal with the bullet expanding much more than say a slower 338. I'd be willing to say a slower 338 would have made it through. More penetration but less expansion.

caddisguy
10-20-2021, 10:53 PM
30-06 is the standard for all things, grouse to triceratops. Them sissy flat shooting cartidges aint got no place around here :D

Jokes aside, I think it all comes down to weight + velocity = energy.

Energy and bullet performance is all that matters. I don't know why caliber debates exist when it's already settled by grade 3 math.

That said I've never looked into the 6.5 creedmore because I'm not spending time to do grade 3 math for man bun guns :D :D :D

upperleftcoaster
10-20-2021, 11:12 PM

the proof in the pudding is in the eating

10-21-2021, 06:59 AM
Fast doesn't mean it'll penetrate lots. You get lots of energy getting dumped into the animal with the bullet expanding much more than say a slower 338. I'd be willing to say a slower 338 would have made it through. More penetration but less expansion.

Last moose i shot with it...
Moose was 100 yards quartering away. Bullet entered behind the shoulder ( too far back ) and exited through the opposite front shoulder through the femur .. i might be quoting the wrong bone. .. it wasnt the blade. That bullet went through like 3 of 4 feet of moose and exited with a 2" hole.

Again, weird shit happens. You cant judge a cartridge from one kill...

10-21-2021, 07:14 AM
Between my hunting partner and I, we’ve taken 3 moose and two massive caribou with Creedmoors. None of the animals went farther than 20 yards.

Arctic Lake
10-21-2021, 07:52 AM
Caddis . I failed Grade 3 math and bought a 6.5 Creed . But I also have a 30.06 LOL
Arctic Lake
30-06 is the standard for all things, grouse to triceratops. Them sissy flat shooting cartidges aint got no place around here :D

Jokes aside, I think it all comes down to weight + velocity = energy.

Energy and bullet performance is all that matters. I don't know why caliber debates exist when it's already settled by grade 3 math.

That said I've never looked into the 6.5 creedmore because I'm not spending time to do grade 3 math for man bun guns :D :D :D

wideopenthrottle
10-21-2021, 08:44 AM
I would only shoot a 6.5 if it had a brake...heheheh JK...I just don't shoot stuff far enough away to need a flat shooter....I actually went the other way and picked up a 338 wm and will park the 30-06's in the safe for some hunts now

Downwindtracker2
10-21-2021, 10:38 AM
I think in BC we "need" two rifles , 338WM for moose/elk and a 270 for deer.. I don't have 270, but I do have 6.5s.

Yuritau
10-21-2021, 12:08 PM
The only thing you NEED more than 6.5 for is bison.

Bustercluck
10-21-2021, 01:05 PM
I think in BC we "need" two rifles , 338WM for moose/elk and a 270 for deer.. I don't have 270, but I do have 6.5s.
I didn’t realize the 338 win mag was so popular until recently. I’ve been shooting one for about ten years and I think I’ve only run into one person who’s had one, but lots of guys on this site seem to like them too.

Downwindtracker2
10-21-2021, 03:12 PM
Oh some of the older posts, Dewey almost waxed poetic on it. As poetic as he would ever get. He was very forthright, to say the least.

Falcodedati
10-21-2021, 03:50 PM
I just harvested a moose with my 6.5 Creedmoor. First shot went through his left shoulder, out through a rib on the other side, and kept on moving. The second shot when through his right shoulder and then out through his left shoulder and kept on moving. Bullet was a 120 grain Barnes TTSX, shot distance was 260m. Moose went 30' and died with good exit wounds and damage to the lungs. So I would say from my experience not only is it enough, the low recoil made seeing my hits and following up without ever taking my eyes off the animal much easier, and as such is superior to most of the .30cals I have fired.

That all being said, as with most calibre discussions, I feel like bullet construction will probably matter more then its actual diameter, and shot placement is king.

walks with deer
10-21-2021, 08:21 PM

Great animal and congrats to the young man...elk looks like a marginal hit (above and behind lungs no spine) and lucky he died..with any caliber luck should not be part of this discussion

walks with deer
10-21-2021, 08:22 PM
Guessing blood loss and shock killed it how many other holes where in it..do you like casinos?

Gateholio
10-22-2021, 04:47 AM
Blood loss and shock is a pretty standard way for bullets to kill.

walks with deer
10-22-2021, 06:59 AM
Blood loss and shock is a pretty standard way for bullets to kill.

Read the other half doesnt look like any majour organs hit..

Liptugger
10-22-2021, 07:53 AM

Big yard I would guess.

Gateholio
10-22-2021, 08:02 AM
Read the other half doesnt look like any majour organs hit..

Isn't the big concern with the Creed is that it requires perfect shot placement and doesn't have the horsepower to overcome marginal hits like a 300 magnum? I guess the CM is good enough for "marginal" hits too. :)

Although to be serious it actually looks to me like an exit wound, possible from a quartering towards animal that is slightly above the hunter.

todbartell
10-22-2021, 09:34 AM
Although to be serious it actually looks to me like an exit wound, possible from a quartering towards animal that is slightly above the hunter.

That's right, the bull had poked over the ridge top, quartering to angle. Penetration with monometal not a concern on large game with the smaller calibers, and no needle hole effects either

REMINGTON JIM
10-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Those great bucks my son shot where all with his cutom made 30-06 150 hornady...my daughters gun was still in my truck from sundays hunt which was succeful aswell and we had not taken her gun out of the truck yet hence first lead flown out of 6.5 at something bigger than a yote.

What Hornady bullet is he using out of the 308 Win ? RJ

I think it did exit out the bottom and not the rib cages after being a bouncy ball inside there. Deflection of 90degrees down...all that said heart was a ball of congealed mush.

So to be Clear - you NOT find the bullet ? So it did Exit ! RJ

walks with deer
10-22-2021, 12:00 PM
[QUOTE=Liptugger;2291666]Big yard I guess....
We raise lamb,beef,chicken.. and grow alot of clover...lots of whitetails grouse and bears in yard...and predators in winter...even have a eagles nest and spawning salmon.

Razor84
10-22-2021, 12:06 PM
6.5 Creedmoor is for target shooting only

10-22-2021, 01:22 PM
6.5 Creedmoor is for target shooting only

Ya an Bitches....

GEF
10-28-2021, 08:25 PM
Its definitely the name of the cartridge that is the problem!I read stuff like this and it just makes me shake my head.

Downwindtracker2
10-29-2021, 07:54 AM
Out of curiosity I checked Nosler load data, both the 260 Remington and the 6.5 Creedmore hold 49gr of water. Here cubic inches count. The Creedmore has a higher pressure rating, so will give greater book velocities.

Norwestalta
10-29-2021, 08:00 AM
Don't or won't have one but if I did I think it would be just right for the gopher patch in case a guy come across a badger.

Weatherby Fan
10-29-2021, 08:30 AM
hell with quality bullets I would hunt anything in North America with it.

todbartell
10-29-2021, 09:33 AM
Out of curiosity I checked Nosler load data, both the 260 Remington and the 6.5 Creedmore hold 49gr of water. Here cubic inches count. The Creedmore has a higher pressure rating, so will give greater book velocities.

apples to apples, the 260 Rem will produce about 30 fps more velocity than the 6.5 Creedmoor

RobTurbo
10-29-2021, 09:44 AM
100% it's enough*

People stick sharp razor blades into animals from a piece of wood and string, and the animal dies*

*with proper range and placement being key to it all

todbartell
10-29-2021, 11:13 AM
Lots of hunters in the western US are taking elk at 800 yards with the 6.5 PRC. The diminutive 6.5 Creedmoor would land with this level of performance at 650 yards

mauser
10-29-2021, 11:40 AM
Great cartridge but its a re-invention of the wheel. 6.5x55 Swede had the right twist, Long throats, able to handle heavy bullets at moderate velocities since 1894 and has a great reputation in Northern Europe for big game.

The Creed does this in a short action, to some a plus but to others not.

Gives us 6.5 shooters more options when it comes to reloading components.

Downwindtracker2
10-29-2021, 11:57 AM
In Africa, the 6.5x54 Mannlicker with a 160 RN has taken everything including elephants .

I have said a 260 kicks like a 243 and hits like a 270.

walks with deer
10-29-2021, 12:50 PM
In Africa, the 6.5x54 Mannlicker with a 160 RN has taken everything including elephants .

I have said a 260 kicks like a 243 and hits like a 270.

And the biggest griz shot in canada was with a 22...hmm i alao know someone who one the lottery.

Night Hawk 3
10-29-2021, 01:06 PM
A 6.5 CM with a good bullet is plenty for lots of hunting here in BC.

Both myself and my partner have shot moose, deer, and elk with a 6.5x55 using US Made ammo (Federal blue box or Winchester) and 140gn SP bullets that crawl out of the barrel at 2385 fps and mosey on down to the animal where it falls over dead without taking another step.

The 6.5CM's decent velocity (2850 129gn) vs the 6.5x55 with anemic factory loads are completely different beasts. The 6.5CM will get it done just fine if you are within suggested energy and velocity limits for the cartridge and bullet combo.

I'd say the close range is the issue combined with the bullet selection and shot placement.

Try shooting a nice sized whitetail at 30 yds with a 338WM and a 180gn Accubond - you'll be left with mostly inedible minced meat for front quarters and bloodshot all over the place. At 450 yds it's a different story, perfect bullet performance out of the same combination with the bullet found under the skin of the offside shoulder after breaking bone on entry.

NH3

Night Hawk 3
10-29-2021, 01:23 PM

Must be a misprint. The 260 holds more water (53.5gn) than the 6.5CM (52.5gn). The 6.5CM allows longer bullets to be used.

NH3

todbartell
10-29-2021, 03:38 PM
Must be a misprint. The 260 holds more water (53.5gn) than the 6.5CM (52.5gn). The 6.5CM allows longer bullets to be used.

NH3

Nosler data shows the net h2O capacity after the seated bullet has eaten up what it occupies. The smaller Creed gains a bit over the 260, which has to have bullets seated deeper inside the case when loaded to SAAMI specs

Night Hawk 3
10-29-2021, 04:18 PM
Nosler data shows the net h2O capacity after the seated bullet has eaten up what it occupies. The smaller Creed gains a bit over the 260, which has to have bullets seated deeper inside the case when loaded to SAAMI specs

TB; Thank you for the information.

NH3

geologist
10-30-2021, 01:14 AM
6.5x54 MS has killed hundreds of elephants.

Shot placement.

GROOTSKY
08-04-2023, 11:04 AM
I agree with Gateholio, there is no way that shank could come apart no matter the velocity. That is what makes the terminal Ascent such a great design IMO. I'm glad that there is now an option for all the 6.5 caliber speed seekers looking for for a quality hunting bullet that fills the void between the frangible match style bullets and the monolithic coppers. I built up a load for my PRC with the 130gr @ 3178 FPS out of my 24" Carbon Rival. My ballistics app puts them within 1/4 MOA of my 147 ELD-M @ 3040FPS out to 650, I hope to verify this weekend.

WhiteTailAB
08-04-2023, 12:46 PM
I would say it deflected down and bounced around the insides like a bouncy ball....

Lies only 22lr does that.

hawk-i
08-04-2023, 01:20 PM
I had the same thing happen with a 338 Lapua and a 300gr Accubond on an 6x6 Elk...anyone that says a 338 lapua is good on Elk is on glue...YMMV :)

REMINGTON JIM
08-04-2023, 03:20 PM
I had the same thing happen with a 338 Lapua and a 300gr Accubond on an 6x6 Elk...anyone that says a 338 lapua is good on Elk is on glue...YMMV :)

Yea if you would have had a 338 RUM all would have being FINE :p:D RJ

hawk-i
08-04-2023, 04:13 PM
Yea if you would have had a 338 RUM all would have being FINE :p:D RJ

Or maybe the Accu-bomb was the problem?? :confused::)

Bado20
08-05-2023, 10:56 AM
It's tricky diagnosing a bullet "failure" when you don't recover the bullet and the animal is dead from massive internal organ damage...

REMINGTON JIM
08-05-2023, 12:29 PM
It's tricky diagnosing a bullet "failure" when you don't recover the bullet and the animal is dead from massive internal organ damage...

lol yea that is a FOR SURE . :DRJ

RackStar
08-05-2023, 02:45 PM
I pitty any man who packs a 6.5 CM

hawk-i
08-05-2023, 03:24 PM
I pitty any man who packs a 6.5 CM

Hmmmm interesting but, I read Christensen Arms a few years ago stated 52% of there total rifle sales were chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor... the next closest was 300wm @12%

and ... Just for (easy) reference go to P&D website (they list by chambering) 6.5CM list is loooong! :)

RackStar
08-05-2023, 04:18 PM
I’m guessing you own a 6.5 ��

REMINGTON JIM
08-05-2023, 04:45 PM
I’m guessing you own a 6.5 ��

MORE useless nattering from you today ! Ffs go away . RJ

RackStar
08-05-2023, 04:49 PM
Indian Jim did I strike a nerve…. YOU must have one too then

hawk-i
08-05-2023, 06:09 PM
MORE useless nattering from you today ! Ffs go away . RJ

He's just in a bad mood today, probably had an argument with his boyfriend. :)

Retiredguy
08-05-2023, 06:45 PM
Well the 6.5 CM was a hot seller when it came out due to all the media hype at the time. Every shooting rag had articles on it and there was a massive advertising campaign. It is also worth noting that the online firearms sales sites, like CGN, are filled with used 6.5 CM's for sale. Lots of the guys that change rifles more frequently than their underwear have tried them and now they are on to the next wonder cartridge.

I don't have one, but I know guys who have them and like them. Also know guys that tried them and are not starry eyed about them...and have parted ways with them. I have a nice 6.5x55 that is a tack driver, so can't get all worked up over getting a CM.

RackStar
08-05-2023, 07:44 PM
My friendly jab at WWD sure kicked the hornets nest

375shooter
08-05-2023, 09:37 PM
I have two 6.5 Creedmoor's. One is a Kimber Adirondack and the other is a Kimber Montana. Both are very accurate. The Creed makes a great cartridge for field position shooting practice. Long barrel life, not much recoil, modest ammo costs. It's suitable for coyotes, wolf, deer, black bear, and even elk and moose. Getting one is a sensible choice for many gun owners/hunters.

REMINGTON JIM
08-06-2023, 03:38 PM
I have two 6.5 Creedmoor's. One is a Kimber Adirondack and the other is a Kimber Montana. Both are very accurate. The Creed makes a great cartridge for field position shooting practice. Long barrel life, not much recoil, modest ammo costs. It's suitable for coyotes, wolf, deer, black bear, and even elk and moose. Getting one is a sensible choice for many gun owners/hunters.

A Very FACTUAL statement :wink: RJ

wallz
08-06-2023, 07:00 PM
I built one, and VERY much enjoy shooting it. While the one I built is more a bench rifle at 16 ish lbs with a 26" heavy stainless barrel, I would not hesitate hunting with one. Cadex action, IBI stainless barrel. Did I ever mention how easy it is to put prefits together????

I will be marking the barrels, and swapping them back and forth to learn impact shifts after swaps to set the scope with, and have it ready for next falls hunting season.

Right now its used to build confidence in shooting skill and accuracy to 1000m for the kids, my wife and myself, and its working great for that. Has approx 1000 rounds down it now since April this year. Low recoil, fairly cheap to reload for, great accuracy. What more could one ask for?

In fact my goal is to purchase a small carbon barrel for it this winter for my son to use next year for hunting. Still stuck on 16" or 18" barrel tho.
I am using the 139 gr scenars, and smacking steel out to 1400m with it. The more I read about those 139 gr the more I see guys using them while hunting, and that or the 127 gr LRX will be the plan for hunting with. No hesitation for animals upto and including moose and elk up to the 500 m range. Its more than capable.

Bustercluck
08-06-2023, 07:29 PM
A friend of mine is loading his up with some 140 grain partitions for moose this fall.

M1SF1T
08-06-2023, 07:57 PM
Another nice thing on the 6.5 Creed is the availability of SRP brass during this time of mostly LRP shortage.

I was able to secure a stock pile of SRPs while LRPs are scarce.

As was stated, it's a capable cartridge, I don't know why people have such a problem with it and get their hate on. Like who cares.

walks with deer
08-06-2023, 09:01 PM
My friendly jab at WWD sure kicked the hornets nest

All good here it really happened but i knew this would upset some man buns

Redthies
08-07-2023, 09:02 AM

Ok, I’m not a 6.5 owner, but I do have a 7-08. I think these lighter recoil cartridges get relegated to the “wives and children” category. I put them in the “thinking man’s cartridge” category. Ballistics don’t lie. The 7mm is more efficient than the 7.62, and shoots flatter and faster than most of those .308 cartridges, yielding almost identical energy at a given yardage, with +/- 20% less felt recoil. Yet a “manly man” can shoot a .308 and a 7-08 shooter is a “girly man” in many peoples eyes. It’s a funny world…

I’m not in any way opposed to people shooting big magnums, but I have a shoulder injury from the past that means I get one or two shots out of a big gun before I’m done for the week. With my 7-08 I can shoot plenty enough to be confident with it when it counts. With the correct bullet and reasonable range, it’ll knock down anything.

wallz
08-07-2023, 03:02 PM
Personally, I could care less what people think about what I shoot, and why?
I have two 7-08's. One I bought for the wife, and one for the son. Why? Because they are a lighter recoil, still pack plenty of knock power, ballistics, ballistics, ballistics. I don't even mind shooting them, and have carried them while hunting, and killed with them.

I used to own a 300 wm, and changed it to the 6.5 prc. Why? recoil, and ballistics. Very close to the same thing, with less recoil. More than capable of all the game I'm ever after, with way less recoil.

todbartell
08-09-2023, 10:39 AM

The Creed keeps filling the freezer for this young man. Guess he's lucky

https://i.imgur.com/jfMC12s.jpg

Bustercluck
08-09-2023, 11:39 AM
Does anyone have experience with bullet weight/speeds for a 20” barrel? I’m having a couple of issues with my current rifle and I might have to buy a mountain gun to use for this year. The one that’s caught my eye is the howa 1500 super lite. It’s 4.7 pounds and the barrel comes threaded and ready for a brake, sub moa guarantee.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/168961/howa-1500-super-lite-bolt-action-rifle

hawk-i
08-09-2023, 12:10 PM
22" Kimber Montana 143gr @ +/-2870fps

Arctic Lake
08-09-2023, 12:36 PM
What was the distance Mr.Bartell ? Nice bull by the way !
Arctic Lake

todbartell
08-09-2023, 12:46 PM
Does anyone have experience with bullet weight/speeds for a 20” barrel?

I have a 20" Tikka, here's some speeds from a few loads I use :

120gr Nosler eTip, 42.0grs RL17 @ 2800 fps
130gr Berger, 43.2grs H4350 @ 2705 fps
140gr Hornady ELDm, 41.1grs H4350 @ 2570 fps
142gr Nosler ABLR, 43.5grs Win760 @ 2625 fps
143gr Hornady ELDx, 41.1grs RL16 @ 2600 fps
147gr Hornady ELDm, 45.1grs RL26 @ 2550 fps
150gr Nosler ABLR, 41.4grs Viht N555 @ 2460 fps

I think the only factory load I've shot it in was 140gr Hornady and it did 2560 fps

What was the distance Mr.Bartell ? Nice bull by the way !
Arctic Lake

around 100 yards +/-

Weatherby Fan
08-09-2023, 12:53 PM

How is this possible, a 6.5 Creedmoor killed two Moose…..Yowsa, probably using good bullets……..who knew :confused:

todbartell
08-09-2023, 01:22 PM
129gr Nosler Accubond LR loaded a bit light to 2580ish fps. They don't bounce off!

Bustercluck
08-09-2023, 03:19 PM

I think the only factory load I've shot it in was 140gr Hornady and it did 2560 fps

around 100 yards +/-

22" Kimber Montana 143gr @ +/-2870fps

Thanks guys!

This should do what I need it to do. And when I’m done I can always give it to my wife

I have a pile of 127 barnes Lrx that will probably work well

375shooter
08-09-2023, 05:57 PM

The load I use in the Adirondack with 18" barrel is 140 gr. AB, Nosler brass, 44.6 grs. RL-26 for 2575 fps.

For the Montana with 22" barrel - 140 gr. Sierra Gamechanger, Peterson brass, 40.6 grs. H4350 for 2665 fps.

Redthies
08-09-2023, 06:34 PM
129gr Nosler Accubond LR loaded a bit light to 2580ish fps. They don't bounce off!

This info makes me feel better about my upcoming moose draw and my 139 gr Hornady GMX 7-08s going 2850. Nice bulls!

walks with deer
08-10-2023, 09:13 AM
How is this possible, a 6.5 Creedmoor killed two Moose…..Yowsa, probably using good bullets……..who knew :confused:

Well shit if you shoot 9 bulls one should die right? Moose die easy in my experiance...

All joking aside looks like a bullet not so tightly constructed will help.

REMINGTON JIM
08-10-2023, 10:03 PM
I use 43.5 grs. RL17 under a 120 TTSX which reaches near 2900 fps in my 20 “ JC barrel . RJ

Redthies
08-11-2023, 02:04 AM
I use 43.5 grs. RL17 under a 120 TTSX which reaches near 2900 fps in my 20 “ JC barrel . RJ

What are you using that recipe on?

REMINGTON JIM
08-13-2023, 10:02 AM
What are you using that recipe on?

do you mean what animal would I shoot with that load from my 6.5 CM ? RJ

Redthies
08-13-2023, 10:17 PM
Exactly that RJ.

REMINGTON JIM
08-13-2023, 10:28 PM
Exactly that RJ.

Well being “ LUCKY “ now I have quite a few different cartridges to use for different animals ! BUT that being said if I was out just DEER hunting but had an Elk or Moose or Bear tag and under a available proper accurate shot on any animal I would take it !
The 120 TTSX bullet will hold together and with a LUNG SHOT all animals will Die . RJ

todbartell
08-14-2023, 11:07 AM
120gr TTSX doesn't mind some bone either

https://i.imgur.com/ieefcHe.jpg

Redthies
08-14-2023, 11:01 PM
Both my rifles shoot TTSX, but I wanted heavier for my moose hunt this year. My 7-08 TTSX are 120 grn, so I bought some Hornady Superformance 139 grn GMXs. Have either of you shot the GMX before?

Redthies
08-15-2023, 02:57 AM
My .30-30 TTSX that was recovered from my blacktail buck 2 years ago: (and I think .30-30 Win is enough if you use it correctly).

https://i.postimg.cc/8kF5RgT4/47-F79427-5-ACE-43-C9-A5-E2-F3217-AA03269.jpg (https://postimg.cc/3WTYh640)

todbartell
08-15-2023, 01:06 PM
GMX, now phased out and replaced with the CX, is a deep penetrating monometal. Good choice for larger game. I reload for a friend's 7mm-08 and the 139gr Barnes LRX is a killer

kevingm1987
11-21-2023, 11:01 AM

around 100 yards +/-

@todbartell If you had to pick one of those combo's to shoot exclusively, which one would it be?

A do it all choice, hunting, target, plinking type shooting.

RBH
11-24-2023, 03:40 PM
Have you tried the Hornady CX yet? I recently bought some 139 grain Hornady Superperformance CX factory loaded ammo for my 7mm-08 Tikka3. Oddly, it would not cycle into the chamber.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

I returned the ammo to Reliable (no problem) and will stick with VorTx 120’s. The guy at Reliable thot it might be that Tikka’s have relatively tight throats (for accuracy), so that’s just how it is. Still, I thought it was weird for factory ammo to not load in a popular gun like Tikka. FWIW, I’ll be sticking with the 120 VorTx. It groups beautifully out of my gun and based on this thread and other info will be adequate for anything up to moose, though I am basically a deer hunter.

RackStar
11-24-2023, 04:09 PM
I had a tikka that wouldn’t chamber a hornady whitetail ammo very well.

Arctic Lake
11-24-2023, 04:17 PM
I’m no expert but the 6.5 Creedmoors Swedish cousin kills a lot of moose in Sweden
Arctic Lake

todbartell
11-24-2023, 07:01 PM
@todbartell If you had to pick one of those combo's to shoot exclusively, which one would it be?

A do it all choice, hunting, target, plinking type shooting.

Probably the 143gr ELDx