PDA

View Full Version : How much wind is too much for snow geese?

MichelD
10-18-2021, 12:48 PM
Trying to decide whether to head out Thursday or Friday for snow geese in Delta. Wind is forecast to be 25-35 on Thursday and 20-30 on Friday diminishing later in the day.

Periods of rain Thursday, more rain Friday.

I've been at this a few years now, but I can't say I've figured it out yet. Can we expect them to fly lower in this weather?

silveragent
10-18-2021, 03:34 PM
I would kind of want to go out just to see

I did do a bit of snowie shooting two or three years back at Brunswick in that kind of wind and it was freaky fun. I mean how do you even aim. I had one flock skirting shooting range and the wind was just making them stand still in just off the surf but I had no idea where to put my shot. 10 birds in front? 15? And how far would I have to swim to retrieve one if I had hit it? I didn't make any observation on whether they were flying lower. I just think the wind did make them move at least, which was better than seeing them sit in a field doing nothing.

Imdone
10-18-2021, 04:40 PM
Wind is Good, IMO it gets them off the foreshore, moves them inland, makes your deeks more lifelike. Like wind sox or flyers.

Ive always loved water fowling in a good strong wind , if setting floaters though, try to place them where there's not a chop, but calmer edges with landing zones infront of you.

The Plus is it makes them dip and dive even more. It's a gas !

saskbooknut
10-19-2021, 09:30 AM
Wind is only too much, on the Prairie, when the decoys make like tumbleweeds.

Redthies
10-19-2021, 02:09 PM
I had one night last year where the ducks were coming in at their usual 25-30 kms, but the wind was 70+ from behind, so passing speed was 100+. Totally ridiculous to be out, and I of course tried for a couple, but I bet you can guess how many I went home with!