PDA

View Full Version : Moose Hunt

Gateholio
11-11-2007, 09:22 PM
So my buddy Chad calls me up and says "I've got a moose LEH, and not much time. Come help me get a moose tomorrow"

So I say sure, and the next day we meet at 6AM and head out in his truck.I ask Chad if he is going to try for a big one. "I dont' have much time this year. First moose with antlers I see is going to get it!" Okay, this is a meat hunt, that's clear!!

We get to the moose area and start glassing some steep slopes, that has produced moose before. Sure enough 30 minutes into it, we spot 2 bulls, a average size one and a real big one, 50+ inches, with huge wide paddles....
We hike along an overgrown skidder road, until we can see the bulls. I range them and ask Chad how he feels about a 720 yard shot. He drops to one knee and stats pumping rounds at the moose, reloads and keeps firing again.

Okay, just kidding.:cool:

We sneak up the skidder track a bit more. The bulls are moving in and out of thick slide alder, up a steep ridge above us.

We sit back and keep glassing, trying to pick out where they are moving to. We move posiitons a few times, and discuss some strategies to get the moose.

At one point I scurry down the road a bit, and pick up the big moose in my binos. He is in a narrow opening between the alders, 372 yards away. It's not going to get better than that unless we try to stalk up the hill, and we are concerned it migth be too noisy, and scare the bulls away.

I run back, grab Chad. We move back, then move a little closer, and get a good rest. The moose has dissappeared again. We sit for abotu 40 minutes then decide it's time to get off the pot, it's 1PM and we are running out of time.

Chad goes to sneak up the slide alders, I stay behind to back up if need be. We dont' want a wounded bull escaping up the ridge, or it's going to be a long night...

20 minutes later, I can see one mooses nose and side of antler. I glass for Chad. In full camo, not a hope in hell I see him. 10 minutes pass and I see the moose move, turn his head, looking upwards. he gets to his feet, then BOOM! BOOM!

All hell breaks loose. Chad has shot the smaller bull, and the big one comes to investigate...He runs over nd starts pawing the ground in front of Chad!! He yells and raises his rifle, the bull is bug eyed and snorting, and right pissed off!! Eventually he turns to go, and zig zags down the hill, straight towards me. Awesome moose, with snow white legs. Probably an older fellow.

I hike back, get the quad, and arrive back to find Chad standing at the bottom, wiht a big grin. We grab our packboards, and hike up the mountain.

A few pics, and we get to work, skinning it out and removing sections. We get loaded up with out 100 lb packs just as we start to lose light, and stagger through the slide alders and shintangle. Damn nice to get to the quad, and even nicer when we get back to the truck, which contains the beer!!

We conscript Chads father and his cousin the next day, and when we get there I finishing boning out the meat while they get the neck meat and remove the antlers.

We load up wiht even heavier packs, but the 4 of us get it done in one trip.:biggrin:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/chad_moose.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/moose10.jpg

mark
11-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Sweeet! Sounded exciting!

Sharkey
11-11-2007, 09:46 PM
That's a pretty big moose for being the smaller of the two! Congrats to you both!
~D

Will
11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
a 720 yard shot. He drops to one knee and stats pumping rounds at the moose, reloads and keeps firing again.

Okay, just kidding.

Thought I was on GunNutz there for awhile.......:lol::lol::lol:

Congrats to Chad ! Great Moose ! :p

6 K
11-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Way to go! I know just how you feel about getting back to the quad, I packed a decent one out a long way myself this year. 8-)

porcupine
11-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Good moose, nice story.
________
Volvo XC90 specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Volvo_XC90)

boonerbuck
11-11-2007, 10:34 PM
That's making the best of your limited time!:-D

Was that a region 3 draw?:confused:

Gateholio
11-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Booner, yup it was Region 3. Any BUll.:smile:

boonerbuck
11-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Nice to know there are some big bulls running around region 3.

Brambles
11-11-2007, 10:43 PM
one thing about moose hunting, unless you can skid them out whole, your gonna have really heavy packs, good hard work that builds character. Congrats on your buddies moose, now let the sore and stiff legs begin...

Gateholio
11-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Chads dad with a load, abotu to start down the hill

http://photos-515.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v154/111/96/526315515/n526315515_640371_8411.jpg

1/2 slam
11-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Well done Gate:smile:

srupp
11-12-2007, 01:32 AM
sweeeet..... and another Gatehouse adventure put to writing....great job guys...

Steven

BCJunior
11-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Now thats a solid harvest!

hunter1947
11-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Good going gatehouse ,very nice moose and a freezer full of meat ,congrats to the both of you ,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Avalanche123
11-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Good job! Nice way to wind down the season....I am surprised to see no snow but then again I am not that familar with Region 3.
I didn't realize you lived in Pemberton either ....Awesome location.