PDA

View Full Version : what would You do?

BlackOwL
10-15-2021, 11:32 AM
If You could do something to save wildlife not only in BC but in all Canada, what would that be?
An urgent course of action is:

Stop logging in public land the most uncontrollable wave of destruction not only off Our forests but also wildlife are the victims of the greed wave.

Under current private logging regulation, there is no limit or cap on the amount of wood a logging company can harvest annually, and there are no requirements to maintain forest cover or wildlife values. Additionally, there's no legal requirement for logging practices on private land to be sustainable over time.

2. Cattle in public land;
Cattle destroys the feeding grounds of ungulates and carnivores who feed in foliage, it is paramount to limit the number of cattle and the permits for grazing in public land, cattle and logging are the most dangerous enemies of wildlife, also destroys shelter and displace wildlife to unfamiliar grounds where most will die of thirst since wildlife remains within familiar terrain where they have shelter, food and water at hand.

3. A cap in the number of new hunters accepted each year must be imposed, we are in the wrong path where we are going to end up with a lot of hunters and no animals to hunt.

Most of the time, hunters are targeted by the government and anti hunting organisations to distract the public from the real culprits for the decimation of wildlife.

As I see the present scenario is time for the BCWF to make a extra effort to help wildlife and to educate the public by means of TV programs with factual proof that the real cause of lost of animal habitat are logging, cattle and the indifference of the government.

ACE
10-15-2021, 11:39 AM
Stop 24/7 year round legal​ hunting by a certain faction of the Canadian population.

Harvest the Land
10-15-2021, 11:50 AM
Great question. I would cancel out option 3 since a good chunk of the ministry's wildlife management budget comes from hunting licenses and tags.

I'm with you in terms of having a disgusted sentiment about option 1, however I am loathe to tell any private landowner what they should or shouldnt do on their private property - so that's a tough one.

Option 2 is the easiest choice for me. Had way too many hunting areas completely ruined over the years by too many cattle moving in and devouring all of the best forage, forcing many of the ungulates in the area to move elsewhere

BlackOwL
10-15-2021, 11:56 AM
regarding option 3 what do u propose to keep a balance between wildlife and a number of hunters? anyone?

BlackOwL
10-15-2021, 11:59 AM
about hunting 24/7 this is what strikes Me as a government indifference for the excess in harvesting animals without any controling the numbers taken and not reported.

BlackOwL
10-15-2021, 12:05 PM
Edited to include logging in public land, (corrected)

Harvest the Land
10-15-2021, 12:20 PM
regarding option 3 what do u propose to keep a balance between wildlife and a number of hunters? anyone?

I guess i think there already is a good balance, as there used to be a heck of a lot more hunters in the 80's than there are today. Plus as an increasing percentage of folks move to and live in big cities and are completely disconnected from nature, i dont think that trend is going to change and hunters will continue to make up a smaller percentage of the population (i.e. i dont think you have to worry about a massive influx of new hunters invading the mountains and killing everything - its way easier to just go to safeway and thats what most folks will continue to do).

Harvest the Land
10-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Edited to include logging in public land, (corrected)

In that case govt needs to permanently protect as much critical winter range as possible. We need to put more collars on as many herds/animals as possible so that we can better understand what their migration routes are and protect those too; and that would also help the bios get a better handle on population sizes and dynamics

BlackOwL
10-15-2021, 12:26 PM
The popularity of hunting in B.C. is on the rise. The number of licensed hunters has increased more than 20 percent, from 85,633 hunters in 2005 to 107,073 in 2020. Hunting in B.C.

BlackOwL
10-15-2021, 12:30 PM
In that case govt needs to permanently protect as much critical winter range as possible. We need to put more collars on as many herds/animals as possible so that we can better understand what their migration routes are and protect those too; and that would also help the bios get a better handle on population sizes and dynamics

Can the BCWF can help with that? TV programming, direct proposals to the Ministry of Lands and Forests... and hunters writing to Your MLA...

Harvest the Land
10-15-2021, 12:48 PM
The popularity of hunting in B.C. is on the rise. The number of licensed hunters has increased more than 20 percent, from 85,633 hunters in 2005 to 107,073 in 2020. Hunting in B.C.

Here's a quote from Jesse Zeman from 5 years ago in another thread about this same topic:

High point 1981 = 174,000 hunters

Low point 2004 = 84,000

2014 = 107,000

In other words, there are as many hunters now as there were in 2014, and almost 70K less than there were in 1981

twoSevenO
10-15-2021, 12:50 PM
hunter numbers will never be the issue. look at how many hunters there are in the USA. Twice or 3 times as many hunters on states that are a third of the size of BC! And way better hunting!
They seem to generate much more money and put that money to better use managing the wildlife.

designated wintering zones is one thing they do really well down there as well as predator management.

edit: way better DEER hunting

Harvest the Land
10-15-2021, 12:51 PM
Can the BCWF can help with that? TV programming, direct proposals to the Ministry of Lands and Forests... and hunters writing to Your MLA...

Absolutely and they already are lobbying their asses off. Problem is, there aren't too many NDP'ers (or Liberals for that matter) in power who give a f-ck about wildlife management and only want to hand out as little amount of $$ as possible. The BCWF is starting to step up their game with more youtube videos and seminars which is great. I don't doubt that if they had a much bigger budget they could do a hell of a lot more.

Maybe Mr Chipman will chime in. He's much more of an expert and has intimate knowledge

J_T
10-15-2021, 12:53 PM
regarding option 3 what do u propose to keep a balance between wildlife and a number of hunters? anyone?I have no idea what you are suggesting here. Do you believe the human footprint is causing a decline in wildlife? Or that hunters are harvesting to many? If so..... that it could be in some areas (LML) the human footprint has an impact on wildlife, but there is no data to support that hunting by itself is the cause of wildlife population decline.

If You could do something to save wildlife not only in BC but in all Canada, what would that be?
An urgent course of action is:

Stop logging in public land the most uncontrollable wave of destruction not only off Our forests but also wildlife are the victims of the greed wave.

Under current private logging regulation, there is no limit or cap on the amount of wood a logging company can harvest annually, and there are no requirements to maintain forest cover or wildlife values. Additionally, there's no legal requirement for logging practices on private land to be sustainable over time.
Disagree strongly with this initiative. To stop logging would cancel out the economic engine that runs BC. I have no issue with crown licence logging and private land logging. The 'issue' is the misguided social pressure to stop logging. Logging by itself is not the reason for the plight of wildlife in BC.

Instead of a cease to logging, we should separate the Forestry component from our Land, Natural Resource management, and create a liaison between them. This would reduce the power and influence of logging. I can go on and on, but a viable forest sector is absolutely required in BC economically and for habitat development.

2. Cattle in public land;
Cattle destroys the feeding grounds of ungulates and carnivores who feed in foliage, it is paramount to limit the number of cattle and the permits for grazing in public land, cattle and logging are the most dangerous enemies of wildlife, also destroys shelter and displace wildlife to unfamiliar grounds where most will die of thirst since wildlife remains within familiar terrain where they have shelter, food and water at hand.
Cattle have a positive impact on the land in many situations. Let's not lose sight of the contribution of ranching (economics). Cattle on and off the land at key moments in the calendar year can have a positive impact on the land. Wildlife and cattle tolerate each other when on the same food sources. High fences…. Not so much.

3. A cap in the number of new hunters accepted each year must be imposed, we are in the wrong path where we are going to end up with a lot of hunters and no animals to hunt.

Most of the time, hunters are targeted by the government and anti hunting organisations to distract the public from the real culprits for the decimation of wildlife.
I'm not sure why limiting hunter involvement and hunter recruitment would be a good strategy.

As I see the present scenario is time for the BCWF to make a extra effort to help wildlife and to educate the public by means of TV programs with factual proof that the real cause of lost of animal habitat are logging, cattle and the indifference of the government.
Iwould agree that the time is now for change to occur. If you believe nothing ishappening, I would suggest you are not very well informed.
Take a look at the BC Fish, Wildlife Habitat Coalition. Led by the BCWF. Regional advisory boards, The "Togetherfor Wildlife" initiative . To namea few.

Redthies
10-15-2021, 02:13 PM
I’m not too sure I agree on the cattle. I have seen multiple areas I hunt absolutely thrashed by cattle. I would ask you for a single example of where the consistent over grazing I’ve seen is GOOD for the environment.

J_T
10-15-2021, 02:52 PM
^^ I wasn't sure if you had asked that of me, or someone else.

I see cattle as one component of many to manage the land. In our area (and I respect different areas of the province are different) if/when we have a burn, putting cattle on the land post fire, helps to break down the decadent fuel and speed up the breakdown of wood. Where a fire has penetrated older forbes and shrubs, again, cattle step on the old dead wood and help to break that down. This really helps get some of the new growth started.

To a certain extent cattle on the land base does impact forest ingrowth. As I recall a general rule‐of‐thumb was that wildlife and cattle should each be allocated25 percent of the available forage, with the remaining 50 percent left on‐the‐ground for ecosystem health. If cattle are taking more than their 25%, authorities should review the grazing licence.

While Moose and Mule focus mostly on forbes and shrubs, elk and whitetail are the grass eaters of the ungulates. Elk generally don't eat grass that is full length (that being those grasses with the flowering top) so putting cattle on elk grazing land in the spring, can help create feed for elk, and keep elk on that area of land longer. If this is about getting elk off critical winter range that is private, this can be an asset.

If an area is 'over' grazed by cattle, then there needs to be a discussion about the timing on grazing licences. Usually around here the cattle have to be off by October. Which does leave some forage for elk on 'transitional' land. If Cattle appear to be using more of the feed than they should, it raises the question about forest ingrowth. Has the land changed since the grazing licence was issued. Ungulates and cattle become compressed into smaller areas of land due to forest ingrowth. In this case, perhaps a burn or thinning of the ingrowth will create more food for cattle and elk.

Imdone
10-15-2021, 03:32 PM
Licensed Hunter numbers are not the issue. We had far far more years ago than present.

Goodluck with removing Cattle, as the Cattleman's Association has more clout with government than any Wildlife group

Over harvest of Forest, Forest management and access is a huge issue and government continues to almost give an open license to the big money outfits and continues to destroy wildlife habitat

Unregulated hunting by a so called entitled hunter and special group, that requires no reporting, answers to no one, and remains unaccountable is certainly an issue. Two tiered systems of hunting for user groups only works in favor of the unlicensed unregulated hunter and does wildlife conservation no good period. It's obviously not working past and present.

Until there is a government that is willing to put Wildlife, Fish, Conservation and Habitat First, and pour money into it, nothing will change. It will only get worse. Ive been hunting this Province for over 5 decades, Governments past and present do not value Fish and Wildlife like Fishers and Hunters, were a small group, with few votes. We don't matter, were not the ones that can assure the Pension checks keep coming.

If it wasn't for groups like the WSSBC, BCWF, numerous volunteers through out the Province, we would be in worse shape than we are at present. Groups like this do care, and are doing the best with what they have. But it's Pickens, pocket change, GOVERNMENT needs commitment in Funding in too many places to list. It's heartbreaking actually watching continuous Governments year after year, do less and less for our Wildlife and Fish .

It doesn't matter to most of this Province's population and will continue down the dark path it follows at this time. It's Votes that count, to make change, and that is not going to happen.

Ride Red
10-15-2021, 03:43 PM
#1 Stop 24/7 year round legal​ hunting by a certain faction of the Canadian population.

^^^^ ding, ding, ding. Ace you nailed it.

Deer_Slayer
10-15-2021, 03:44 PM
Canadian citizens only. Sorry landed immigrants.. Get your citizenship. If you cannot fluently speak English or French you cannot get a hunting license...duh!

hawk-i
10-15-2021, 04:15 PM
Stop 24/7 year round legal​ hunting by a certain faction of the Canadian population.

Where's the like button :)

willyqbc
10-15-2021, 04:51 PM
Black owl....just so I can understand where you're coming from. Can I ask where you live and what you do for a living???
Where I'm from, a large percentage of people make their living from the forest industry. In fact, that's true for towns all over B.C. Many of these thriving towns would be decimated and the economy of B.C. would collapse without our natural resources sector. Sorry, not a sacrifice I'm willing to make so that hunting opportunities are at a level you find acceptable. You talk about the evil companies not looking to the future....would it surprise you to know that companies like west fraser and canfor have begun logging blocks for the second time??? Areas that they rehabbed and replanted back in the 60's....but yeah, noones looking ahead. I lived through and hunted in a region that saw the most concentrated and intensive decades of logging activities this province has ever seen. And the ungulates absolutely thrived in it.....of course, the ministry was managing predators back then. Gee, I wonder if stopping predator management could possibly have anything to do with lower ungulate numbers...hmmmm

As far as your plan to limit "new hunters", self serving much??? If you're concerned about hunter numbers.....why don't YOU step away from hunting??? Asking others not to hunt, so you can continue hunting with presumably better chances of success??? It's your plan, so put your money where your mouth is and hang up your guns.
I could go on, but basically all I see in the original post is a bunch of requests for OTHER people to make sacrifices so your hunting experience is what you believe it should be.

Jmo
Chris

huntingfamily
10-15-2021, 04:52 PM
How about requiring a predator hide (black bear, coyote or wolf) in order to get an ungulate tag

BlackOwL
10-16-2021, 05:15 PM
Black owl....just so I can understand where you're coming from. Can I ask where you live and what you do for a living???
Where I'm from, a large percentage of people make their living from the forest industry. In fact, that's true for towns all over B.C. Many of these thriving towns would be decimated and the economy of B.C. would collapse without our natural resources sector. Sorry, not a sacrifice I'm willing to make so that hunting opportunities are at a level you find acceptable. You talk about the evil companies not looking to the future....would it surprise you to know that companies like west fraser and canfor have begun logging blocks for the second time??? Areas that they rehabbed and replanted back in the 60's....but yeah, noones looking ahead. I lived through and hunted in a region that saw the most concentrated and intensive decades of logging activities this province has ever seen. And the ungulates absolutely thrived in it.....of course, the ministry was managing predators back then. Gee, I wonder if stopping predator management could possibly have anything to do with lower ungulate numbers...hmmmm

As far as your plan to limit "new hunters", self serving much??? If you're concerned about hunter numbers.....why don't YOU step away from hunting??? Asking others not to hunt, so you can continue hunting with presumably better chances of success??? It's your plan, so put your money where your mouth is and hang up your guns.
I could go on, but basically all I see in the original post is a bunch of requests for OTHER people to make sacrifices so your hunting experience is what you believe it should be.

Jmo
Chris

Willy, can I ask You if you went to school? it looks like you don't know how to read, the original post says "If You could do something to save wildlife not only in BC but in all Canada, what would that be?"
I understand where you are coming from without asking you, is obvious.
this is about saving wildlife, but the way you twist words to make a point that has no value for wildlife, only for your personal interest then abstain of responding because you are making a big ridicule.You digress totally from the main subject. save some money and go to school. ok?
This thread was intended to have personal opinions of hunters based in their region and experience within that region, not to play the know all greedy guy like you who only know how to critisise.

BlackOwL
10-16-2021, 05:29 PM
Licensed Hunter numbers are not the issue. We had far far more years ago than present.

Goodluck with removing Cattle, as the Cattleman's Association has more clout with government than any Wildlife group.

Over harvest of Forest, Forest management and access is a huge issue and government continues to almost give an open license to the big money outfits and continues to destroy wildlife habitat

Unregulated hunting by a so called entitled hunter and special group, that requires no reporting, answers to no one, and remains unaccountable is certainly an issue. Two tiered systems of hunting for user groups only works in favor of the unlicensed unregulated hunter and does wildlife conservation no good period. It's obviously not working past and present.

Until there is a government that is willing to put Wildlife, Fish, Conservation and Habitat First, and pour money into it, nothing will change. It will only get worse. Ive been hunting this Province for over 5 decades, Governments past and present do not value Fish and Wildlife like Fishers and Hunters, were a small group, with few votes. We don't matter, were not the ones that can assure the Pension checks keep coming.

If it wasn't for groups like the WSSBC, BCWF, numerous volunteers through out the Province, we would be in worse shape than we are at present. Groups like this do care, and are doing the best with what they have. But it's Pickens, pocket change, GOVERNMENT needs commitment in Funding in too many places to list. It's heartbreaking actually watching continuous Governments year after year, do less and less for our Wildlife and Fish .

It doesn't matter to most of this Province's population and will continue down the dark path it follows at this time. It's Votes that count, to make change, and that is not going to happen.

I didn't said to remove cattle, the OP says: , "it is paramount to limit the number of cattle and the permits for grazing in public land"

Totally agree, about over harvesting of forest, but money talks so far, and I am aware of this, the OP is intended to start to do something, in fact the question in this thread is, "what would You do" some digress in an effort to criticise others are open minded and approachable as well receptive. unfortunately in any thread you find personalistic individuals the digress from the main topic.

The thing that comes to My mind is that after harvesting Our forests, the reforestation should be with the same species variety of trees that were before, I see the reforestation is made with one single specie of trees that is the most sought after by logging companies.

BlackOwL
10-18-2021, 01:14 PM
The following link show what COULD happen in Canada, or what is happening now by the abuse of our forests, depleting our level of oxygen and increasing carbon dioxide, forest belong to all Canadians, and in fact belong to all humankind, we are prompt to criticise other countries, but we must see in ourselves our mistakes, only a few value money over human life and wildlife, forests are the lung of our planet, if we do nothing to stop this, some day your children might say "my father did nothing to stop this"

https://www.fao.org/3/a0262e/a0262e.pdf

Bugle M In
10-18-2021, 01:16 PM
Probably try to reclaim all BC Winter Range.
That means everybody out!!

Sure there are lots of issues, logging, preds, access, industry, recreational and 24/7 and certainly a lack of CO's enforcing
everyone, not just an FN issue folks.

But I think hands down the biggest issue is loss of Winter Range and if it aint built on, the ranchers dont wont them on!
Lots of country with food on it (do to logging) that creatures can inhabit during the summer.
But come winter, there is only certain elevations they can exist thru the winter on.
And we like the same areas all year round.

Human population goes up, wildlife goes down.
Shouldnt be a surprise.
Preds go up, prey goes down.
Conservation 101.
And we are the biggest preds (and i aint talking hunters only)
Everyone here is having an impact on every other thing.

Bugle M In
10-19-2021, 12:13 PM
No issues with the cutting down of trees and forestry per say.
But, what happens after they cut is a big issue and needs to be really addressed.
All those profits that leave the country or go elsewhere need to stay here and put back into rejuvenating the forest they just cut.
And all side/spur roads dug up afterwards.

Agree that ranching can go hand in hand with wildlife, but the ranchers have to stop complaining and stop fencing wildlife out of
there ranchlands.
After all, the wildlife was there long before them and even the FN!!

Hunter #'s are down and heavily regulated, and that hasn't made a difference...so time everyone gets that thru their heads!
Restricting Access has shown to not really make a difference many times when other factors "trump" access as cause of issues.
Preds would definitely trump that!
As well as poor replanting already mentioned and returning landscape to previous form, not a for that yields more timber next time.

But, the biggest change i have seen since i was very young is the expansion of "people" in every corner of BC.
And all that growth has certainly come at the expense of taking away prime winter range.

The problem is, human expansion is like smoking.
The damage and ultimate death comes "Slowly" over many years.
We just don't see the gradual decline due to all the expansion we are creating year after year.
But, when i look at the towns now that i drive thru, or down the large tributaries in the province since i was very little.
It is huge how much we have disturbed the natural order of things.

Somehow winter range has to be reclaimed or some new form of it created to allow for game #'s to go back up.
With out it, everything else is a waste of time in the end.
IMO.
around.

Linksman313
10-19-2021, 12:45 PM
Just want to clarify that more new hunters does not necessarily mean they are going to have any kind of success, half of them are campers with a overt fear of bears and just want to pack legally when they go hunting with the family.

Bugle M In
10-19-2021, 01:11 PM
Just want to clarify that more new hunters does not necessarily mean they are going to have any kind of success, half of them are campers with a overt fear of bears and just want to pack legally when they go hunting with the family.
Just to add to this.
My father had many friends who went hunting back in the 60's and early 70's.
Most of them were basically only a small step up from road hunters in their efforts.
Many of them did have success often, mainly because at that time, if they had a tag and it had 4 legs, they could shoot it.
Even back then, any antler size and often females as well, GOS.

Today, there are plenty of really good hunters that don't have the success as those back then.
Mostly due to less game, less opportunity and one other factor.
A lot of todays hunters "pass up" a legal opportunity looking for something more mature.
So hunters and hunting aren't the is issue.
And those that still talk about point restriction as being a way to create larger antlered game are kidding themselves.
Point restriction and all GOS becoming LEH might make that possible.
The big issue with finding large sized game is "age"!

So, do we want a province where some can beat their chest because they got drawn.
Are we all willing to see that why many of us may not get a draw to get out there and have to sit the entire season out.
Are we prepared to sit out several seasons possibly???
After all, our LEH system sucks, imo.

So, limited if any opportunity to have a chance at large trophy sized game.
OR opportunity and something for the freezer???
Cant have both with the current state of wildlife #'s.

How to pump up consistent game #'s and sustain them at a safe level is the ultimate achievement and the greatest problem
we currently have.
Habitat, habitat, habitat.

One other thing when it comes to Preds.
You think back to how early settlers described game populations as robust and all over the place.
Well, within in that time, with all that game, there was plenty of Preds as well!!
So both can exist to a degree.

So, ask yourselves....."What has really changed between then and now"???
Settlers to full on Societies is the "big change".
How have they changed it?
And you have your answer.

Ourea
10-19-2021, 01:42 PM
Blackowl, let me sum this up for you.
No political will, nothing happens. Hard stop.

This can has been kicked down the road for decades.

Bugle M In
10-19-2021, 06:30 PM
Yup^^^
You need the proper political will to create cash to put back into wildlife and its habitat.
We cant even get the money from our tags to go back 100% for Christs sake. (wouldn't even begin to make a difference either).
And even if they threw money at it, it has to be "sustainable funding" forever.
So, yes, taking the profits from industry like logging that do have impacts is a consideration.
But there are many other avenues and users of the land that need to buck up as well.
And all of it go to habitat, not general revenue.

Look at Feds providing 600 million for salmon on the west coast.
Even if they figure out a workable strategy....that works...the money will dry up.
So continuous funding and strategies that work and government taking the lead.
Right now it is just easier for the rest to point fingers at us and continue to further restrict us or give it to the stewards of the land.
Wait when they say they cant fix it either;-)

BlackOwL
10-20-2021, 01:08 PM
Ok guys but as the OP says, what would you do? I see all have similar views, like government neglect, overpopulation, destruction of habitat and winter ranges, but you as an individual, what would you do to save wildlife? = documenting how the different methods of forestry and mining exploitation affect wildlife, you as a hunter can keep a record in pictures, video and notes with dates and type of industrial activity, cattle and public land, number of wildlife species you see, including birds, activities in your area like reckless shooting, poaching, ATV’s or vehicles destroying habitat, we can share this videos with the BCWF and the media, but I feel inclined to share with the TV news, so this can be showed to the general public in their houses, like the knowledge channel, I recon that the BCWF, has YouTube videos to educate the public, but not all do a search for that specific subject.
it is clear the hunters are not the problem but like is been said, we are too many in one area, areas that we like, but then again when we want to go to a different area, we encounter challenges with the same exploits of land.

BlackOwL
10-20-2021, 01:14 PM
Hunt with your rifle and your video camera, take a kid with you, with passion for film and writing the journey to help wildlife.
kids have a great influence in governments, because they make them feel embarrassed.

Hugh Mann
10-20-2021, 03:01 PM
This one right here.

I cannot even begin to guess the number of times I have seen certain groups cart out of season animals out, or the aftermath of them having done so. Just the other weekend found a fresh gut pile/hide from a calf moose in an area where spike-fork aren’t open until November.

HappyJack
10-20-2021, 04:01 PM
This one right here.

I cannot even begin to guess the number of times I have seen certain groups cart out of season animals out, or the aftermath of them having done so. Just the other weekend found a fresh gut pile/hide from a calf moose in an area where spike-fork aren’t open until November.

It's a little off to put every poaching case on certain groups.....but that's typical

Ride Red
10-20-2021, 05:41 PM
It's a little off to put every poaching case on certain groups, even though you’re probably right.
Hmmmmmmm…….

Evanguy
10-20-2021, 05:58 PM
I dont agree with no3 at all.

In regard to no3. What if we had a cap on how long one can hunt for or how many tags can he boughten in a life time, so to leave room in the numbers of hunters for the next/new generation to get started.

I dont agree with either way im just making another suggestion that doesnt die out in 25 years

Bugle M In
10-20-2021, 06:01 PM
Well, recently i am hearing rumors of FN in the States talking about getting whale hunting open.
Now, if they use a row boat and harpoon (traditional), it might get accepted by some of the public.
But, if they use 50 cal etc, and video's go viral of huge bleeding out whales, bet your ass they will satart having a negative
effect on their "status" and "traditional rights".
Maybe then the general public will wake up and start the pendulum the other way.

But, as for "poaching".
It isn't just the FN.
There are plenty of new Canadians and generational Canadians alike also poaching!
There was an incident last year and that was no FN!
And plenty other times that wasn't FN, imo.

If you want to express 24/7 365 hunting by FN under the right of Traditional but using "non traditional", means, than 100% go
for it and make it known to anybody that will listen.
Because there is nothing traditional about it and it could have an effect especially at times like now when #'s are dwindling.
And yes, i don't like have them point the finger at us for the loss of "their game" and thus having us restricted.
We are just out there doing the same as them, but we have to follow rules.

Again, only when politicians that control the purse strings get involved will we see a difference.
Otherwise, its all hypothetical.
The "first" thing is to get politicians to "get involved in helping, not restricting".
Then comes funding and a funding model.
Then comes "what to tackle first" and in what order.

Bugle M In
10-21-2021, 12:38 PM
Sad part about this whole OP, is it has been discussed dozens upon dozens of times on here.
Yes, it is nice to see people are seeing that something needs to be done, and radically so.
And today. tomorrow and everyday after that it should be the constant push at the politicians doorstep for true change for
everyone and to start changing how we impact the land and the habitat etc.

The real reality is, as hunters, we are more at war right now trying to defend our way of life!
Seems like every time I come on HBC or elsewhere, some other area of BC is being restricted or taken away from hunters
in BC to utilize.
The only ones making any ground are the FN.
And trust me when i say, even if they had their way, it will still go south for wildlife pops (because issues aren't hunting related).
They wont fix anything either on their own.
Eventually their talk will be seen as only talk as the true reality cant be hidden for ever verbally.
This is an issue for everyone to be on the same boat and together.

So, instead of beating down Victoria's Doors to get change for habitat and funding and changing the ways we alter the land.
We spend most days just trying to save who we are as hunters and being non FN.
That's the real shame about these threads.
IT would be great to debate different thoughts on what the right steps are and what needs to happen and in what order.
Reality is, we are just fighting to stay afloat ourselves.
And the government is showing us the door everyday now.
Such a waste of time trying to protect our lifestyle when we should be protecting the wildlife.