PDA

View Full Version : Have you been keeping the tail ?

Leveraction
10-14-2021, 03:32 PM
Notice a blurb in the Reg’s about keeping the tail of an animal or a large enough piece of skin with hair to clearly identify the species for moose and Elk.

Do you know if this is being asked for in the field by the CO’s

bcsteve
10-14-2021, 03:36 PM
Yes, always keep a cuff of fur on each quarters

Pioneerman
10-14-2021, 03:38 PM
I believe you had to have a 4" patch of hair so they can tell what species . IT would have to be on the carcass, or on one 1/4 if you cut it up, having it in hand will do no good .

blacklab
10-14-2021, 04:06 PM
You have to leave the unskinned tail on a deer.
They finally figured out a bunch of mule deer does and fawns were going down the road during the antlerless whitetail season.

Bustercluck
10-14-2021, 04:52 PM
I think the hump on a moose would be enough identification to separate them from an elk, but I could see it for deer.

Keta1969
10-14-2021, 05:03 PM
Yes, always keep a cuff of fur on each quarters

This is what we do. If boned out we leave a patch on one piece, the one with proof of sex if possible.

bcsteve
10-14-2021, 06:20 PM
I think the hump on a moose would be enough identification to separate them from an elk, but I could see it for deer.
There’s no hump once it’s in quarters.

Hank Hunter
10-14-2021, 06:47 PM
(1) For caribou, elk or moose, the animal’s tail or another readily identifiable part of the hide not less than 6 cm2, AND (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis ,(ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder or teats.
(2) For deer, the unskinned tail, AND (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis,(ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder and teats.
(3) For bison, mountain goat or mountainsheep (i) If the animal is male, a testicle or part of the penis.(ii) If the animal is female, a portion of the udder or teats.

NOTE: To improve enforceability and simplify regulations, the option to use antlers to prove sex and species while transporting harvested wildlife is no longer available.

BrookTrout
10-14-2021, 08:47 PM
I usually keep the fur on the shank on each quarter, plenty of fur there to identify, do that with any animal I shoot. And of course the sex and yes tail for the deer!

HarryToolips
10-14-2021, 08:55 PM
This is what we do. If boned out we leave a patch on one piece, the one with proof of sex if possible.
Same here..........

MichelD
10-16-2021, 12:15 PM
It is not an option.

It is required.