PDA

View Full Version : How to Make Bear Ham: Wet Brine and Smoked on a Traeger

Grasp
10-13-2021, 09:47 AM
Let me know if you guys want to see more cooking content. I make a bunch of it but don't normally post it here. Figured I'd throw this one up and see if there was interest for more.

Well here's my first attempt at making bear hams. I've wanted to do this for years, ever since I started hunting. And I gotta say, they turned out pretty damn good. Would only tweak a couple small things next time. This was also the first time I got to use my new Traeger and that thing blew my mind.

https://youtu.be/38t3rAKvIyQ

dmaxtech
10-13-2021, 11:12 AM
Great video. I'm going to have to try this now. Also want to try making bear bacon.

jlirot
10-13-2021, 11:16 AM
Quick question. I passed on a really nice bear a week ago because I didn't want to deal with that much meat on my own. I've still got some bear from this spring. If I see that old boy again - I might have to shoot him.

But, my question is - would you be able to do the ham after it's been frozen? I'm doing all this stuff on my own and it's a lot of work trying to process and then get working on a ham. It would be nice to throw the hams in the freezer and come back to them in a couple of weeks.

Thoughts?

Let me know if you guys want to see more cooking content. I make a bunch of it but don't normally post it here. Figured I'd throw this one up and see if there was interest for more.

Well here's my first attempt at making bear hams. I've wanted to do this for years, ever since I started hunting. And I gotta say, they turned out pretty damn good. Would only tweak a couple small things next time. This was also the first time I got to use my new Traeger and that thing blew my mind.

IronNoggin
10-13-2021, 11:22 AM
... But, my question is - would you be able to do the ham after it's been frozen?

Our local fellow (Pete's Mountain Meats) does such a great job on bear hams we simply don't bother with it ourselves any more. He insists the bear meat be frozen for 30 plus days before bringing it in for him to do his job. An outstanding job btw. So I'd say Go For It!

Interesting video Grasp! Rather like it!
And Hell Yes to more cooking content!!

Cheers,
Nog

wildcatter
10-13-2021, 11:52 AM

Once I had smoked bear ham made by a Swiss guy and it was as good as the best Parma prosciuto, but it was cold smoked.
I'm going to build a smoke house next year and if I get a bear I try and smoke it, the whole ham, like a pork ham.

Jagermeister
10-13-2021, 11:54 AM
Well done Grasp (Mindful Hunter), well done.
I have done a pork loin into a back bacon which turned out quite nice. I picked the brain of a butcher I know, old school, about the prague #1 powder and it's use for curing. About the only thing I remember him telling me the importance of getting the meat colour consistent throughout the cut of meat.
You may be able to do the same with a bear loin too.
I sourced prague #1 from Hoosier Hill Farm in Fort Wayne, Indiana. 1 lb will do 400 lbs of meat.

MOOSE MILK
10-13-2021, 04:13 PM
Great I ways wanted to make bear hams, this is a terrific inspiration. Looking forward to more videos.
MM

hawk-i
10-13-2021, 04:50 PM
Awesome vid, thanks for sharing and yes please more! :)

Grasp
10-13-2021, 08:38 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. And yes to frozen. These roasts were actually frozen for almost a year and a half. They came out fantastic. And if anyone is looking for Prague Powder #1 I got mine at Stuffer's in Aldergrove. They ship online too. They are a great local business with everything you could want to process your meat.

wildcatter
10-13-2021, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. And yes to frozen. These roasts were actually frozen for almost a year and a half. They came out fantastic. And if anyone is looking for Prague Powder #1 I got mine at Stuffer's in Aldergrove. They ship online too. They are a great local business with everything you could want to process your meat.

My question, do you absolutely need to use Prague powder?
Would it be ok without it? I don't like any chemicals in my food.

Grasp
10-13-2021, 09:19 PM
Sure, you can brine and smoke any piece of meat but it wouldn't have the preservative properties of a cured ham. Which if you're gonna eat it right away don't really matter. Prague powder or insta cure or curing salt is just salt mixed with sodium nitrate to prevent bacteria growth. It's the same thing that's in any cured sausage or pepperoni. Definitely not a necessity though if you can keep it refrigerated.

Jagermeister
10-13-2021, 09:22 PM
If you are processing and consuming right away, you can get away without. But if you are storing for any length of time, you run the risk of food poisoning.
"Prague Powder #1, also referred to as Tinted Cure or Pink Curing Salt, is used for all types of meats, sausage, fish, and jerky curing. One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride as per FDA and USDA regulations. A critical component in the meat curing and sausage making process, Prague Powder #1 is essential to prevent food poisoning. Additionally, Prague Powder #1 provides a distinct flavor and helps to prevent product discoloration.
Prague Powder #1 can be used in the preserving and curing of: Semi-dry and cooked meats, Sausage, Fish, Jerky, Bacon, Ham, Pastrami, Hard Salami, Corned Beef. To cure meat or fish correctly and within food safely guidelines, it is extremely important to use the proper amount of Prague Powder #1. As a curing agent, Prague Powder #1 serves to inhibit bacteria growth and helps to maintain meat flavor and appearance. Too much or too little Pink Curing Salt can adversely affect health, taste, and food quality."

Breiber
10-13-2021, 09:40 PM
In addition to the preserving properties the Prague Powder is what will give the ham that nice pink coloration that we all identify hams with. If you don't use it I think it will just look like a roast.

If you don't want to use Prague Powder you can use celery powder which has nitrites in it as well. It will do the same thing but will be a slightly more natural product. I've always used pink curing salt so I can't tell you what ratio of celery powder to use. A quick Google search on the subject will give you everything that you need to know.

wildcatter
10-13-2021, 09:46 PM
Sure, you can brine and smoke any piece of meat but it wouldn't have the preservative properties of a cured ham. Which if you're gonna eat it right away don't really matter. Prague powder or insta cure or curing salt is just salt mixed with sodium nitrate to prevent bacteria growth. It's the same thing that's in any cured sausage or pepperoni. Definitely not a necessity though if you can keep it refrigerated.

I don't mind the salt, but it's the sodium nitrate part I don't like.
If you always keep it refrigerated or freeze it sure should be ok.
I have bought uncooked susages from the supermarket that has no preservatives, also bacon that's marked "no sodium nitrate"

wildcatter
10-13-2021, 09:51 PM
If you are processing and consuming right away, you can get away without. But if you are storing for any length of time, you run the risk of food poisoning.
"Prague Powder #1, also referred to as Tinted Cure or Pink Curing Salt, is used for all types of meats, sausage, fish, and jerky curing. One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride as per FDA and USDA regulations. A critical component in the meat curing and sausage making process, Prague Powder #1 is essential to prevent food poisoning. Additionally, Prague Powder #1 provides a distinct flavor and helps to prevent product discoloration.
Prague Powder #1 can be used in the preserving and curing of: Semi-dry and cooked meats, Sausage, Fish, Jerky, Bacon, Ham, Pastrami, Hard Salami, Corned Beef. To cure meat or fish correctly and within food safely guidelines, it is extremely important to use the proper amount of Prague Powder #1. As a curing agent, Prague Powder #1 serves to inhibit bacteria growth and helps to maintain meat flavor and appearance. Too much or too little Pink Curing Salt can adversely affect health, taste, and food quality."

My granpa was an old school butcher and he made the best sausages and hams, like a whole ham.
I wish I knew how he did it, but I suspect there was no sodium nitrate used back then.
Also he cold smoked everything after the brining for the ham and sausages straight to the smoker.
He never used hot smoking and the ham looked deep red when you sliced it.

wildcatter
10-13-2021, 09:52 PM
In addition to the preserving properties the Prague Powder is what will give the ham that nice pink coloration that we all identify hams with. If you don't use it I think it will just look like a roast.

If you don't want to use Prague Powder you can use celery powder which has nitrites in it as well. It will do the same thing but will be a slightly more natural product. I've always used pink curing salt so I can't tell you what ratio of celery powder to use. A quick Google search on the subject will give you everything that you need to know.

Thanks that's a good suggestion, I will check out how to use celery powder.