PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Backpack

BBF10
10-13-2021, 07:37 AM
Hi There

I am shopping around for a hunting backpack and have narrowed my choices down to the EXO Mtn Gear K3 4800 and the Stone Glacier Sky 5900. Both look like great packs and each one has some different features that separate them from one another. Just wondering who has experience with either pack and what pros and cons they have. Thanks

RugDoctor
10-13-2021, 07:41 AM
Stone Glacier offers a very nice quick release rifle carry that I can’t get on my Kuiu bags (they refuse to ship that component to Canada). SG is very nice, and light weight. No experience with the EXO

Silver Stones
10-13-2021, 08:21 AM
I'm running a SG 5900 now, and really like it. I've loaded it up well past 100# and it handled it as well as you could hope for. I've tried on the Exo K3 at a trade show, and honestly there wasn't anything I could find wrong - I just didn't need another pack system.

The biggest thing is going to be fit - I started out with a Kifaru Cavern/Duplex setup, and no matter how I tried I couldn't get it to fit me comfortably. I know that the pack is extremely well built and others rave about the comfort and capability, but it just wasn't for me. I'd try on as many different brands as you can before laying down the money. Any of these bags will hold their value on the resale market really well, but it's still a pain to have to sell something that doesn't work quite the way you'd like it to.

oddsix
10-13-2021, 08:45 AM
Have the EXO k2 2000, 5500 and K3 3200. Zero complaints with any. The customer service from EXO has been unmatched. Highly recommend.

todbartell
10-13-2021, 09:09 AM
I have an Exo k2 with all 3 bag sizes, its been a great pack over the last six seasons

whitlers
10-13-2021, 01:21 PM
I use an Exo K3 6400. Great pack. Well built and very comfortable. I will say that even with an extra shim I still get some belt slipping with heavy weight (70lbs plus). I think its more of an issue of the belt material but it just takes a few extra adjustments when you hit the trail and your good.

Packed out two black bears so far no issues.

Citori54
10-13-2021, 01:28 PM
I have the Stone Glacier 6900 Sky Tallus and really like it.

Throwaway
10-13-2021, 06:26 PM
What’s your build like? Exo and SG seem more likely to fit those on the slender side of things where as Kifaru seems to fit those of us that are thicker/some build up in the glute region.

swampthing
10-13-2021, 06:48 PM
Two great packs you are looking at. I run the 4800 and know guys that run the stone glaciers. The problem with packs is being able to try them out beforehand! The exo is pricier and will run ya about $1,300.00 delivered where the 5900 will be about $1,000.00

sako79
10-13-2021, 06:52 PM
I ran a sky 5900 last year but couldnt get it to fit properly. They were a great company to deal with. I tried on a kifaru and they is no comparison. The kifaru is so much more comfortable. I purchased muskegg 7000 with the duplex lightweight frame. My hunting partner has a exo k2 and he want a kifaru now

IslandWanderer
10-13-2021, 07:18 PM
Maybe buy a real man's pack- a Bull Pack.

Alpine Hunter
10-14-2021, 07:26 AM
I have a SG 6900. I love it. If you decide on the SG, you may want to consider going with the 6900 over the 5900 if you have any plans of doing back pack trips longer than a week. I’m sure you could, but when strapped down into a day pack, those backs are near identical. The price and weight difference is negligible. I’m sure you’ll be happy with any of your choices.

Jamesonm
10-14-2021, 07:45 AM
I have a SG 6900. I love it. If you decide on the SG, you may want to consider going with the 6900 over the 5900 if you have any plans of doing back pack trips longer than a week. I’m sure you could, but when strapped down into a day pack, those backs are near identical. The price and weight difference is negligible. I’m sure you’ll be happy with any of your choices.

Yep go big or go home. They pack down to nothing.

BBF10
10-14-2021, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the reply’s folks. The input is appreciated. Hopefully I can get down to Precision Optics to try on some Packs.

walks with deer
10-14-2021, 09:55 PM
Call great north prescion they set me up with a great mystery ranch at a great price.
Felt like a feather with equilvelant to my weight in moose in it this year.multiple times.

Treed
10-14-2021, 10:37 PM
I’ve got a mystery ranch metcalf. Just carried out a full mulie buck in it about 4 km. Great pack! I’d highly recommend it. They slightly heavier than SG but are tougher from what I’ve read.

alberta hunter
10-17-2021, 10:27 AM
I have 2 mystery ranch 7500 packs, both have large belts, one is grey one is brown, been using these for 2 years now, great for heavy carry, might sell both soon as my heavy carry days are done now, to many injury over time

Ride Red
10-17-2021, 11:41 AM
I’m running a MR Metcalf in an xl frame and it’s been great. Surprising how much you can pack in the bags. Built my own rifle carry/quick release with my wifes help and it’s super quick to pull the rifle to ready. Lots of great options out there, find one that works/fits you.

Ride Red
10-17-2021, 11:45 AM
Maybe buy a real man's pack- a Bull Pack.

So what pack are you running then???

jac
10-30-2021, 09:32 PM
I have used eberlestock, mystery ranch, stone glacier and now I’m running the seek outside. The seek outside pack fits me like a glove, I really like seek outside gear

Danny_29
10-30-2021, 10:42 PM

Yupp. This is bang on. I run the 6400 and it slims down to a sweet day pack. Definetly would get 1 size larger than you think you need.

IslandWanderer
10-31-2021, 12:29 PM
So what pack are you running then???

'Running'? Well I'm not the type of guy to use a silly term like that. I instead simply 'use' a Bullpack, obviously.

Danny_29
10-31-2021, 12:46 PM
'Running'? Well I'm not the type of guy to use a silly term like that. I instead simply 'use' a Bullpack, obviously.

No offense but you don't know what you're talking about. Any of the packs mentioned above are head and shoulder beyond a bull pack in nearly every aspect...the term running is also common lingo and is not silly.

IslandWanderer
10-31-2021, 03:45 PM
No offense but you don't know what you're talking about. Any of the packs mentioned above are head and shoulder beyond a bull pack in nearly every aspect...the term running is also common lingo and is not silly.

The Bullpack is the best choice for real men in my opinion. If a fellow has a bit of a weak back , or perhaps isn't very strong, it might be an idea to look at internal frame packs from MEC. Or maybe just paint a wheelbarrow camo and use that.

As for running, I think it's often used in an attempt to elevate one's outdoor activities to the level of a true professional like a guide outfitter. It's right up there with terms like professional, military grade, commercial.

Danny_29
10-31-2021, 05:16 PM
The Bullpack is the best choice for real men in my opinion. If a fellow has a bit of a weak back , or perhaps isn't very strong, it might be an idea to look at internal frame packs from MEC. Or maybe just paint a wheelbarrow camo and use that.

As for running, I think it's often used in an attempt to elevate one's outdoor activities to the level of a true professional like a guide outfitter. It's right up there with terms like professional, military grade, commercial.

Maybe you can elaborate on your experience with the bullpack that would make it for real men? It had better be more manly than 1000's of km in the mountains running my SG.