PDA

View Full Version : Boston Bar: Wolves vs Cattle?

caddisguy
10-11-2021, 07:45 PM
I've never seen any livestock in 3-14 but this weekend making my rounds, came across several cows on the way up to camp. They wouldn't move off the trail to let us by and seemed pretty stressed. Didn't see any visible injuries but some seemed to be moving awkwardly.

Turned around and camped elsewhere. Came back the next day. No cattle, but birds going nuts. We're hiking up the trail peeking over ridges. I'm ready to move on to the next view and start towards caddisgirls lookout... All I here is "a oool" from her whisper in the wind.

What? A doe? A bull? I look from her view and see a very large wolf which spooked at that exact second.

No fish story here. It was a huge wolf. Seen them in the Cariboo before but it was twice the size. I suspect we spooked it and perhaps others, and it came back out to check.

So a spot I've never seen cattle that normally has a lot of deer sign, suddenly no deer sign, cattle one day and not the next, bird activity (I didnt spend an hour hiking down and up to figure out what went down) ... I'm wondering...

This is about 15km as the crow flies from Coldwater. Anyone missing some cattle? Wondering if the wolves are driving them around and picking some off?

Wife took some pics, might be able to see ear tags. Snow started to fly pretty good up there last night. Woke up to winter wonderland.

Any way to see leases / tenures for 3-14 or find the closest to a specific location? For all I know this could be business as usual (was enough sign they "were" there for quite a while) but I think the wolves are driving / working them over. I could be wrong, but I'll sound the alarm anyway as it is quite an investment for someone.

Sorry I couldn't get at least one wolf out. Perhaps could have, but my brain was not believing what I was seeing... dumbfounded, blanked out.

Jagermeister
10-11-2021, 07:51 PM
Get in contact with the bc cattlemen's association.
Phone (https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA717CA717&sxsrf=AOaemvJcU-UMYyqIMDxDouv3ju6R-8aAzA:1634006949205&q=bc+cattlemen%27s+association+phone&ludocid=201443647224541866&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiG1pGe7sPzAhUrITQIHTGADj8Q6BN6BAhFEAI): (250) 573-3611 (https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zcsNE0qSDbIszRgtFIxqDA1Nk81 NjQ0N7Q0N7QwSU2zMqgwSk5KTEpNNUgyNE4zSkz0kkpKVkhOLC nJSc1NzVMvVkgsLs5PzkwsyczPAwCYshji&q=bc+cattlemen%27s+association&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA717CA717&oq=BC+Cattlemen%27s+&aqs=chrome.1.0i355i512j46i175i199i512j69i57j0i22i3 0l7.12615j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#) (tomorrow, closed at the moment)
I'm sure that they would be pleased to hear from you and see the benefits of hunters in the fields and leases.

TyTy
10-24-2021, 10:00 AM
3-14 & 3-15 are polluted with wolves. The ones I have seen were not very large. Deer populations there seem to have reduced some what. Lots of road access. I’ve never seen any cattle there either but totally possible they traveled west down the uzslist