PDA

View Full Version : Need Zone A 7-57 Bison info

Thunderstix
11-11-2007, 02:46 PM
I am meeting my Rupert buddies this coming Wednesday night to go on a 4 day Bison hunt (their draw). We really don't know where to go exactly and was wondering if anyone on here could perhaps enlighten me? We already have accommodations booked (hotel, all that was available), so really only need to know where to hunt.....just a small trifling matter is all :shock:!!:biggrin:
Seriously, any tips would be appreciated.

jimh
11-11-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't think I'll be much help as it was 1999 that I was there. The main road seems to end at a big ranch I can't remember the name of. We had been told that this ranch had several small cabins to rent and that for $300 you could drive out and shoot a bison on the ranch. When we got there the ranch was in the process of being sold to the natives and you could not stay there and they were charging $150 per person to drive through the ranch as the road contiues on the other side. There was however an atv trail that goes around the ranch and puts you back on the road on the other side. While looking for a place to stay a person living close to the highway told us about ranch on the left side of the road just before the big ranch so we went and asked and they rented us a cabin and gave us permission to take a bison on thier property if we seen one there and they had been seeing a big bull on part of thier ranch. They had trouble with bison and thier horses in the past would happy if we managed to rid them of the one they had seen on the property. We spent part of our time hunting on this ranch and part of our time going around the big ranch and down the road that continues past it. We seen bison on the trail around the big ranch and talking to some guys camped at the end of that road at a place they called horse camp they had been seeing a herd of bison there every day. I believe that camp at the end of the road is the farthest you are allowed to take motorized vehicles. We had actually paid to take our truck through the big ranch but only did that on the first day because it was too much hassle getting the young guys looking after the ranch to open the gate. We used the atv trail after the first day. I ended up managing to take the bison off the ranch property belonging to the ranch we rented the cabin from. They were very happy and could not do enough to help us including driving thier big tractor the several miles from the farmhouse to where I shot the bison and drove into the trees and lifted it out to the field, helped dress it, and drove it in the air all the way back to the cabin where they helped skin and quarter it.You could not ask to meet nicer people. Everyone we met up there was more than helpfull. From what I was told the ranch I stayed on has new owners but that was several years ago so I imagine everything is different now. Ask around up there the locals were very helpfull to us. Good luck with the bison and the weather. It was perfect in Oct the year I was there. Here is a pick of the cabin and the bison. Jim
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/hopjams/PinkMountain-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/hopjams/Bisonpic2.jpg

todbartell
11-11-2007, 08:47 PM
be careful for crazy atv drivers!

Jetboat
11-11-2007, 08:57 PM
After you're done ripping around the country, stop at one of the many Peace bison ranches and pick up a tasty young eating size one for yourself on the way home :-D

Thunderstix
11-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the info and pics! I appreciate it.