PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Break A Pup/dog From Chasing Deer?

Goodlife61
10-03-2021, 11:47 AM
My pup, Buster, is almost 11 months old. He is part Three Ki Beagle and part Lemon Beagle. We only got him to the woods to hunt bunnies four times. The first time out got him acquainted to the area. Second time, he done a lot of sniffing tracks. Third time out he found his voice and managed to stay on a couple for awhile. Fourth time out started slow. It was not a good day for bunny hunting. The snow was a bit sticky and his bell kept plugging up. Then he got on one but lost it shortly after. Then he got on one and held it for quite awhile before losing it.

Then he got on one and got sidetracked by a deer track (or the deer itself). His tracks ran along side of the deer track and then in the deer tracks. There were four sets of deer tracks. We spent over an hour tracking him down. If it wasn't for his bark, we would never have gotten him back. That deer led him on a long run through the woods, across a snowmobile trail and out to the dirt road. It looked like the deer tried to lose him on the road by going back and forth across the road,

Jim went up an old partially grown in trail and I went down the road and onto another snowmobile trail hoping we could cut him off one way or the other. Jim heard him bark not too far from the trail. He saw where the deer had crossed and went in. He ended up carrying Buster out as he forgot the spare leash. Buster seemed quite pleased with himself but he was one tired pup.

Now, the big question is, "How do we stop him from chasing deer?" Jim said when he was a young lad, his grandfather had told him the only way was with a bullet. I don't want to do that. If I cannot break him of that, he will be a leash dog for the rest of his life with no freedom to run unless we fence in the yard. It would have to be a pretty high fence too as he can jump quite high.

Any ideas anybody?

Blacktail1
10-03-2021, 12:57 PM
I don’t think people actually want the response they would get but dog would definitely think twice about chasing deer once it was hammered home so to speak.

Blacktail1
10-03-2021, 12:58 PM
Also this is what I have a bulldog even if he wanted to chase deer after five steps he would decide it’s to much effort.

Nˇck
10-03-2021, 01:17 PM
My dog was really bad and I mean BAD. Chasing everything. Joggers, skateboard, bikers, chipmunks, geese ... I mean everything.
Got him an e collar, learned how to use it and now I can control every move he makes. He is never on a leash and can stop him on a dime mid chase.
The only problem is it takes lots of time and effort. Took me about six months. Every day for 2- 3 hours. Started at age 1 and he knew every basic command very well.
Lots of work but it's worth the effort.

mastercaster
10-03-2021, 01:49 PM
Google "Trash breaking".

It's a very successful method! It's the one time you use the e collar not to reinforce what the dog already knows with as low a stimulation as possible. Nope,,,,in this case you light up the dog without saying a thing. No command. The dog will think the shock comes or is associated with the deer or whatever else you are trying to trash break the dog on,,,,,,porcupine, skunks, bears, badger, or poisonous snakes.

You usually only have to do it once for the animal in question. Sometimes super hard headed dogs may need it done to them twice but I heard it's fairly rare. Done properly the dog will think you had nothing to do with the discomfort it will have endured.

firebird
10-03-2021, 04:14 PM
Pick up an E collar, a good brand with a ‘tone’ and a few levels of shock.

Hard part is verifying he’s running deer. So wait for snow. Or go find some out (easier at night). And drop him out right on them. Then shock till he stops or drops.

If you can not break him with an e collar then your grandfathers right.

deer are one of the stinkiest things around and usually sit tight till the dog runs right up on them. Hard not to chase.

You can train him so he comes back to you with the ‘tone’

firebird
10-03-2021, 04:17 PM
I don’t think people actually want the response they would get but dog would definitely think twice about chasing deer once it was hammered home so to speak.

Problem with this is you are doing the correcting and the dog knows it’s you. And the smart ones screw off on trash then evade you upon returning or won’t let you catch them at the near road/trail.

with an e collar it’s Zeus lmao

firebird
10-03-2021, 04:20 PM
Or get a back deer leg with the gland on it, stand it up and wrap it in wire and hook it to a electric fencer and leave it the backyard to find. Chomping on a hot wired deer leg would also do it.

mastercaster
10-03-2021, 05:33 PM
Or get a back deer leg with the gland on it, stand it up and wrap it in wire and hook it to a electric fencer and leave it the backyard to find. Chomping on a hot wired deer leg would also do it.

The thing about doing this is you will turn the dog off eating raw deer meat which is something my dog gets quite a bit of. At least when they're on the hoof it's all about the chase, not the meat. I also want my griff to to be able to track lost deer. She's already found one for a friend that spent several hours trying to locate it the night before. The next morning my dog found it in just a few minutes because I went through the process of blood tracking with her from blood I had saved up from a couple of deer I shot in the fall.

russm
10-03-2021, 07:05 PM
Also this is what I have a bulldog even if he wanted to chase deer after five steps he would decide it’s to much effort.

Lol got that right, mine likes to chase a ball for 5 steps and let our French bulldog go the rest of the distance to bring it back

adriaticum
10-04-2021, 07:40 AM
That's a tough one.
Beagles are known for not being off leash dogs because they run off after critters.
I think you have to have a pretty strong recall and control of the dog and then spend time in the woods.
I'd say the best thing to do is the prevent the dog from following anything unless you want him to do it.
Or train him for specific scents.
Dog running off after some scent in the bush is all a matter of control in my opinion.
I think you have to establish full control of the dog and then chose what he goes after.
Consult tracking dog trainers, they will surely have good methods.

firebird
10-04-2021, 08:17 AM
The thing about doing this is you will turn the dog off eating raw deer meat which is something my dog gets quite a bit of. At least when they're on the hoof it's all about the chase, not the meat. I also want my griff to to be able to track lost deer. She's already found one for a friend that spent several hours trying to locate it the night before. The next morning my dog found it in just a few minutes because I went through the process of blood tracking with her from blood I had saved up from a couple of deer I shot in the fall.

Maybe depends on the dog….All my hounds are broke off deer and have no problem eating deer scraps when I supplement it into their diet.

tracker
10-04-2021, 09:20 AM
Pick up an E collar, a good brand with a ‘tone’ and a few levels of shock.

Hard part is verifying he’s running deer. So wait for snow. Or go find some out (easier at night). And drop him out right on them. Then shock till he stops or drops.

If you can not break him with an e collar then your grandfathers right.

deer are one of the stinkiest things around and usually sit tight till the dog runs right up on them. Hard not to chase.

You can train him so he comes back to you with the ‘tone’

Make sure the dog gets a good nose full of the scent you want to trash break him on and is absolutley chasing that scent down, then shock him. The dog will stop and think that scent bite him and run back to you. It only takes once or a couple times and he will not want to chase that scent any more. Your grandfather might be right in some cases but we have better technology these days to deal with that problem Goodluck

ACB
10-04-2021, 10:45 AM
X2 on the E collar, my dogs are taught on command leave it on anything that would be "trash" and if they don't leave it, the e collar is used with the command, you'd be surprised how much their hearing improves. A dog that's well conditioned to an E collar gets so you don't even have to use the collar, their hearing improves so much. My dogs (labs) are never hunting without a collar.

BRvalley
10-04-2021, 12:16 PM
x3 on E collar, was the most effective method for my dogs

I also tracked/engaged in close contact with some deer/non target animal with my dogs on leash, switched things up while grouse hunting when any opportunity arose...the dog sees/smells the deer/animal, dog sees my none reaction and I change his focus, dog learns we are not chasing deer/moose/elk/bears, rewarded for good behaviour, negative behavoiur gets the E collar....they learn quick, might show some interest still, but do not chase at all

J_T
10-04-2021, 01:03 PM
I'm working on this right now. My dog is 11 months old.

I agree, the e-collar is a logical step. I have not gone to the e-collar yet. We have a lot of deer around our yard. What I have been training (loose word) the dog to do, when I say, "deer" she sits. When I say "bird" she sits. So her future instinct will be to sit and watch.

She is off leash on a good walk, at least once a day. When she is on our deck, or on a leash and I / we see deer, she is sitting as I want. However, while off leash yesterday, she was out a ways in front of me and she dam near got a snow goose that was bedded in the tall grass. And she does run deer. I use a sharp high pitch mouth whistle and I do see that she starting to come back quicker (progressively getting better every week) when I call. Time spent together, in the bush is critical.

Most important.... patience for me the owner. If she comes back, when she comes back, she is always a good dog. I try to make, doing as I request, more comfortable than the alternative.

I'm also noticing this dog, is so different from my others, where a good slap on the ass with the others was a sufficient deterrent. These millennial dogs, seriously are just like our kids today, discipline them and they'll go sit down and pout.

elimsprint
10-04-2021, 01:27 PM
x whatever on the e-collar, if used properly there is nothing better for breaking dogs of bad habits IMHO

Here's Charlie chasing deer
https://i.imgur.com/PylgbF3.jpg

BRvalley
10-04-2021, 05:02 PM
good boy Charlie! clearly defending his ball lol

Brez
10-04-2021, 06:27 PM
Nailed it. Well said