PDA

View Full Version : GPS advice

BCBear
11-11-2007, 02:36 AM
I want to buy a hand held GPS unit but know next to nothing about them. Does anyone have any recommendations about what's good , bad, and ugly out there....thanks

Steeleco
11-11-2007, 03:00 AM
It's got a lot to do with what you want it to do and how much you want to spend. I carry an E-trex, it tells me the point where I'm standing and the route back to the truck/lake/animal W.H.Y. Cheap around $125

I'd like to have a newer unit that has on board mapping. You can spend a small fortune and up, with lots of bells and whistles. My wanted unit is a Garmin 60csx

Have a look at gpscity and gpscentral both in ALTA and lots to choose from.

FWIW I would tend to avoid Magellan units for the time being. Of late they are falling out of favor in some circles and have inferior software if mapping is where you end up.

I'm waiting to see what comes of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_positioning_system and how it may improve the features in our current GPS systems. IE on board mapping, geo-spacial imigary, accuracy, detail etc.

bcfarmer
11-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I have the garmin 60cx and find it very easy to use...although i'm probably only using 10% of its ability. It is fairly easy to use and the maps are great in the bush. would definitely recommend it.

had the magellan 400....it puked out after 6 months with no response from magellan on the cause so.....

bcf

todbartell
11-11-2007, 03:25 PM
hard to go wrong with a Garmin Legend for a good unit with real good basic features that you will use

scoot
11-11-2007, 03:46 PM
hard to go wrong with a Garmin Legend for a good unit with real good basic features that you will use

I agree tb. I came close to buying this after months of reserch. Only I decided to upgrade to the Vista CX.
The legend CX is the best for your money. All the Vista has over it really is baromitor and a compass that will work when you are standing still.

BlacktailStalker
11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
Garmin is top notch, hands down.
Get the current 60cx or cs or whatever model # it is now. I have the 60 CS and havent found a person that liked one over this one.
Or another gps I'd rather have for that matter.
The topo canada software is wicked, as well as the marine bluecharts.

BCBear
11-11-2007, 06:25 PM
thanks for the info everyone...looks like Garmin is the undisputed champion of the world

7mm
11-11-2007, 06:28 PM
I bought the 60 csx can't go wrong easy to use and never looses reception

Mr. Dean
11-14-2007, 09:53 AM
The 'biggie' w/ GPS units are in the attennae. Garmin also has some units that aren't equiped. The 60 series are top notch units.

rollingrock
11-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Right now I'm playing with my brand new 60csx loaded with Topo Canada (BC and Alberta). Very good stuff, lots of useful features. Again, those of you who want to buy one of this, do it quick. Garmin is having a promotion deal for 60cx and 60csx right now. $50 US cash rebate before year end. If you guys compare the prices in the states and here, you'll hate the retailers here!

Big7
11-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I use a Garmin GPS76 Map pro for work - never leave home without it. In my opinion this is the easiest GPS to use - especially if you've never used one before. Some of the smaller units have 2 buttons that perform 30 functions each and can be a little confusing!
I wouldn't buy a 76 if you do a lot of mountain hunting and are worried about weight as there are small lighter units (like the Geko for example) but I think it is one of the best all purpose units on the market.

RiverOtter
11-26-2007, 09:46 PM
I bought the Garmin 76CSx this past spring and it is awsome. I added Topo map coverage for the areas I work/play and have used it extensively. The new higher sensitivity antennas are awsome and 3-5 meter accuracy is the norm.
www.gpszone.ca (http://www.gpszone.ca) in Manitoba has the best pricing I've found.

RO

Blktail
12-10-2007, 10:55 PM
Garmin GPS MAp 60 CSx is awesome. Big screen and the larger unit still fits in your pocket. You must get the Topo series for Canada. ALL basemaps suck. Get a bigger memory too. Tons of fun and great in the bush when you can't see the sun for orienting yourself. The extra money is well worth it. Very tough and waterproof. Mine slipped off the dashboard on a corner. Went out the window and hit the concrete barrier at 50kmh. Only scuffed the corner a bit. Very impressive.

tuchodi
12-11-2007, 08:05 AM
I have had 4 Garmins and all have worked really good. The newer ones with the more sensative antenas are really good. I have a 60csx now but am going to get the new Rino530 which combines my radio and GPS in one.

kaptkannon
12-11-2007, 08:23 AM
The Gramin Legend CX has not let me down yet and is your best bet for the money. It has a $30 rebate on the exploration kit.
$30 Rebate Offer on Garmin eTrex Legend Exploration Pack (http://www8.garmin.com/whatsNew/currentpromotions/pdfs/Legend_Exploration_Pack_Rebate.pdf)
Receive a $30 rebate when you purchase the Garmin eTrex Legend Exploration Pack from any Dick's Sporting Goods retail location only. Purchases made online do not qualify for this offer.
Limit 5 rebates per customer
(July 29, 2007 - December 31, 2007)