PDA

View Full Version : Good one for the last day

boxhitch
11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I wasn't holding out for a big one, but The Big Boys were holding out on me. I spent 3 full days, tramping or sitting in their turf, with only small offerings of 2 or 3 pointers showing up. 5 bucks and only one doe, started me thinking maybe to move on and find more of the girls. But I knew this place had more to offer. Lots of tracks, some in my boot prints, small and large rubs, some fresh snow, the good things. But three days, and 20 hours on stand and no shooter ?
Yesterday was a blow out, literally. Strong winds all day kept activity hidden away. Found the fresh sign on the way home at dark, just over the ridge where I couldn't see from my perch.
Today started out kind of bleak. Was early, but not the first up the main, and two more passed me as I waited by the entrance to My Spot. Strong gusty winds swirled again, with low clouds threatening. I decided to drive around to the other side of the block, to a landing with a view of my stand of the last trys.
As things got brighter, the wind kept up, the sky was dark, and fog/snow/sleet showers moved through. Maybe I should be somewhere else ?
Time for a stretch, and get rid of the AM go-juice. Besides, I hadn't spent any time on the slope in the other direction. And of course, don't go anywhere with out the shooting stick.
The walking was real noisy in frozen snow after some rain and melts. Then the wind let up for a bit. So walking along in some sparse re-gen, using the grunt tube once and awhile (might as well sound less like a human), wondering when I'll get a view beyond 50 yards.
The Boys must have felt I deserved something, they held out til the end, so they offered up a nice little guy, I agreed, so I whacked him.
He would move in some then pause, but would move again When I used the grunt. Finally could count points at about 20 yds, about the time he decided to turn and head downwind. Shot was at about 40yds.
Blahblah, single shot, behind the shoulder, double lunger, 160 gr XLC @ ~3250. (not recovered), blahblah

Sharkey
11-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Was that YOU I saw on East Vernon Road this afternoon? Can't wait to see pics...

mark
11-10-2007, 11:37 PM
here ya go bud, nice heavy litle rack, almost looks like an Island blacky!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/07_mulie_004bills_buck_Medium_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6751&size=big&cat=500)

Brambles
11-10-2007, 11:41 PM
Nice going boxhitch, your weather sounded alot like what we had today too. Outcome was similar too:smile:

Sharkey
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Great pic!
~D

WoodOx
11-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Cool lookin rack there - I like the color! Congrats box

Wood butcher
11-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Nice looking deer. I like the darker antlers.
Good for you

Will
11-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Congrats, Nice Buck :smile:

Thunderstix
11-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Very nice! man I would love to get me a mulie like that one.

boxhitch
11-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks. Gang.
This was nothing to do with inches. For me this was about satisfaction. I had a couple of frustrateing hunts, but this time the perserverance and stubborness told me to hang out in a spot that I knew held bucks.
Some other day, a bigger one may find me, but then again.....

BCJunior
11-11-2007, 07:52 PM
nice color rack, good work

Stone Sheep Steve
11-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Sometimes it's only about the deer.

Sometimes it's about the hunt.

What's most gratifying to the hunter are the one's about "the hunt".

Great perserverance.......staying in the area......not giving up on your golf bag of calls;-)......last day......crappy weather...........=very satisfying:cool:.

Congrats!! It's one you'll remember and learn from.

SSS

dunbartr
11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Congrats on the hard work - Looks just like an "East of Vernon" Mulie I took last year. I hunted am area hard the last couple weeks as well with lots of sign, rubs and does, but also couldn't find a 4 point. The wind sure made things difficult.

Decided to try region 3 today, saw some does early, the found a nice little walk road late in the morning and jumped a nice white-tail buck only 5 mins from the truck. Was a tricky shot, thorugh some tight trees, there was no time to get a good rest, as I figured he was about to bolt, so I found a little window where I could see the front half of the body, but I guess I didn't squeeze off soft enough!

Up until this year I had shot all my deer off-hand and not missed, and now it's the 2nd one I missed this year. It's Ok though, I needed a reality check... next time I will try harder to get a good rest.

hunter1947
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Great buck ,congrats on a fine animal.

boxhitch
11-12-2007, 09:31 PM
It's one you'll remember and learn from.

SSSAlways learning, slightly demented.

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2007, 10:14 AM
Good to see ya got out there and stayed off the 'puter for a couple of days! ;)

Nice buck...sausages or cut n wrap?

boxhitch
11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
sausages or cut n wrap?
My dilemma. Hanging it through this week, hoping to add to the pile.

steepNdeep
11-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Right on - great deer!! Way to grind it out and get 'er done... some of my best hunts had everything to do with the effort and experience.

hunter11
11-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I've had hunts where you don't see any tracks nor rubs too. I think the more you think about them the less of a chance there is too see one. Most of the time the damn bugger will jump out at you from nowhere. That's all good fortune. Nice lookn' buck atleast you kept moving on. Congrats.;-)