PDA

View Full Version : My daughter and my first hunting story

sirttt
11-10-2007, 11:19 PM
Hi all,
Well I have bin a lurker for a while now, and must say I have leared a lot from the many posts. So this post is kind of a thank you as well as a little braging.
I have wanted to hunt for years now. with no family or friends that hunt. It always got put on the back burner .
Any ways, one day my mom moves to Cranbrook . One day she calls me and tells me about the elk that are in her yard. Sends me some pretty cool pics, and once again there is a feeling of some thing missing . The next day I call friend that I know who kind of hunts, and ask him what he knows about elk. He looks in the regs and says there open, and we should head up next weakend for a road trip ( thanks-giving 2006 ). This might surprise you but no bull elk were even seen on this three day whirlwind trip, but a little white tail spike gave his life for my learnig experience. After this experience I thought I could get into hunting.
So I sign up for a pal and a core courses. I have 3 kids: a 16 boy, 14 year of girl, and a 9 year old boy. the funny thing is, my girl is the only one interested in becoming a hunter (cool but there are no real expectations) . Well we both pass, and now its time to lean how to shoot. Her shooting her great gramps 30-06,and me shooting a 7mm mag. I couldn’t resist a new toy; After, many trips up chilliwack mountain and many, many rounds later we are ready. So in go a few l.e.h’s . No winners for ether of us, (big surprise) but low and behold she gets youth cow elk in this years reg’s, and we’re off.
Well two weeks before the hunt begins my buddy calls me and says he cant come. With me basically not knowing how to clean an animal I think all is lost. I did find a how to video on how to clean a elk, and we’re back on (cheat sheet in hand lol J ).Opening day of youth season we’re sitting on a hill 10 feet apart watching 4 main game trails, When 5 or 6 cow’s come out the tree line. By the time I get Tia’s (my daughter) attention , we were busted. After a few cow calls they stop about 225 yards out, just out of her comfort zone. She seems a little bit disappointed, but I tell her that I’m proud. She knew not to pull the trigger, and I asked her how it felt because my heart was pounding . She was going to be the shooter, all she could say was wow. The rest of morning was uneventful. The evening was my turn too head out on my own but it was also uneventful
Next morning sitting in group of 4 -5 small trees in a circle over looking the same spot as before. By 7:30 am no elk and I got a wicked storm brewing in my guts. As I reach for the tp in the pack, Tia whispers “elk, at 80 yards, what should I do” and I tell her “to pick a big one” . Too a knee she goes, and boom the cow drops, but turn out she spines it , Just over the shoulder, and the poor thing is doing donuts on the ground. I run over with butt cheeks clenched . Too put one in its head to finish it off( by the way its not easy to hit a head at 4 and half feet through a scoop ) first one threw the cheek, second one hits its mark game over. I turn around thinking that it she’s never going to hunt again after see all this go down, instead I see one of the happiest girls I have ever seen, with her riffle over her head, screaming woo hoo oh yeah. A quick hug, and I grab the tp, and in to the bush I go . Gutted and skinned it weighed 285 lb on the hook.
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5784/p9120027af7.jpg

Now for my story, after pounding the bush for three days I cam across lots of spikes and two point whites, but I passed up on them. I wasn’t to hurried I still had a weak of hunting to do . I called in a nice 5 by 5 bull to about 30 yards away, man what a rush (I couldn’t get that 6th one to grow no matter how hard I tried ). I also called in two 3 points bulls but nothing legal. By the time day 8 came around I came across this guy head down chewing on a small bush . One shot, ten steps, and down he goes . The pic is the exit wound. He was a little more quartered away then I had thought( learnig curve )
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3984/p9180057av1.jpg

Well that’s our story of how two new hunters where born .

Marc
11-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Well awesome story congratulation to both of you. Don't worry so much about the quartering away it happens to the best of us. I guess those hats were lucky for the two of you. Lots of fine eating for the winter and enough memories to keep her interested in hunting for next season.

Marc.

The Hermit
11-10-2007, 11:40 PM
GREAT to hear about someone that is willing to go get themselves outfitted and sorted out mostly on your own! Well done!

Sharkey
11-10-2007, 11:42 PM
What a great story and cool pics too. I know how frustrating it is not knowing hardly anyone interesting in hunting. Good for you for heading out with your cheat-sheet in one hand, daughter in the other... Congrats!!

boxhitch
11-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Good going gang.
The best way to learn is by getting in deep up to the elbows. You both are off to a good start.
Not to nit-pick, but safety first, so I hope your daughters gun was Safe, while she did her dance. Dance on!

newhunterette
11-11-2007, 12:07 AM
now see y'all that's the story that should be published in a magazine

Congratulations on a great one for the memories of years to come - building on a new tradition

awesome, perfection, wonderful

thank you so very much for sharing

Alison

Jetboat
11-11-2007, 01:56 AM
HUGE congratulations to both of you! Well done!!

hunter1947
11-11-2007, 06:41 AM
Great story and great two animals ,like Marc said ,the hats are what give you two the luck. Congrats on two fine animals ,they will be like putting lame on the table.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Deaddog
11-11-2007, 07:02 AM
:smile:now that is what it is all about! congrats to both of you. The hunting community needs more people like you who are not only willing to get out there and learn but to bring their kids along with them. You and your daughter have experienced something that will bring you closer together for years to come. Good on you

Tanya
11-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Great story, Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of hunting and outdoor experiences. It's only just begun.....

bochunk2000
11-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Great story. Nice animals too.

p&p
11-11-2007, 09:29 AM
CONGRATS. TO BOTH OF YOU ! This is such a wonderful accomplishment for a family & two very close freinds. this is what BONDING is all about!!!Enjoy the fruits of your labors.

mtnmax
11-11-2007, 10:45 AM
Good going!!!
I got three young girls and hope atleast one of them take up the sport.

gameslayer
11-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Great story Congratulations to you and your daughter. I cleaned my first animal years ago the same way (no one to show me the ropes) it felt like an operation. Nice to hear more people are getting involved. That "buck fever" reminds you that you are alive.

cbearw
11-11-2007, 11:42 AM
What a great read. I can see why your a proud dad. You goota be proud of yourself too! Sounds like you should have many happy hunts together in the years to come. I have four girls (no boys) and it looks like none are hunters or pickers (I play bluegrass!) I have often thought about how nice it would be to be able to share my hunts with one of the girls. Your story hit the spot. Its soo nice to read about family members or friends sharing the same passions. I hear those elk are some very fine eating. Have never hunted them but I bet you guys will relive your hunt with every forkfull.
Congrats and thanks for posting. Good hunting:wink:

BCJunior
11-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Awesome story, welcome to the hunting world and congratz!

GrizGuy92
11-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Grats on starting to hunt & your daughter, too bad your son wasn't aslo interested eh?

The best way to learn is by getting in deep up to the elbows.

Thats what my dad told me today when I had to gut my buck! lol

Will
11-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Congrats to You Both ! :cool:

Thunderstix
11-11-2007, 02:36 PM
What an awesome experience for you and your daughter!

beeker
11-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Congrats to both of you!