PDA

View Full Version : Last minute buck!

mark
11-10-2007, 08:58 PM
Ill start off by admitting that I was feeling weak when I pulled the trigger. I couldnt get the last week off work as I wanted, the weather has sucked, warm, no snow :mad:. The rut hasnt seemed to be quite rocking around here, my t-cam has had more pics of hunters than deer, most of the does ive been seeing have had either small bucks or none at all. After a long hike in the area I figured would be the best odds of producing a big buck and again coming up dry, I got to my vehicle with about 20 minutes of light left. I figured Id rally to an old cutblock where I usually see does feeding. With only about 5 minutes of shooting light left I snuck into the block and glassed the area where the does usually hang, nothing, took 5 more steps and saw a deer at 200 yards. Sure enough its a decent buck, this is a test I figured, hes not what I was looking for, but to bad for him my will power was down, and scope power was cranked. 1 shot through the shoulders with the .300 mag, 180 gr. fusion, and he went down like a lead balloon! Sorry no feild pics, as I was alone and it was dark! Although its not a huge rack, he was a mature buck, with a large body and a huge head on him! Oh well I got 2 more tags to do better!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMGA0074.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6748&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Sharkey
11-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Last minute is right!! Wow! I'm so jealous! I couldn't get out today - nobody to go with... :-( To make matters worse, I was heading out to the dump (lucky me) and a guy drove past me with a quad in the back of his pickup and a 4 point mule deer strapped to the quad. I almost drove off the road taking a look! Well congrats to you - nothing better than great success at the eleventh hour... I bet the beer tasted even better than usual!
Cheers!
~D

blaker_99
11-10-2007, 09:14 PM
That deserves an Atta Boy Mark. Congrats but I'm sure you won't be dissapointed with your next buck. Good Luck

tufferthandug
11-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Solid buck dude.

R Brooks
11-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Very nice indeed:cool:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Nice buck Mark!
Those tables were busy today. Some nice bucks went down today. Nothing supergood but some very solid bucks.
Gave up on whities today and we got a meat 4 pt muley for my partner. Got to break in the new pack.

Whities tomorrow. Hopefully the Remembrance Day tradition will continue.

SSS

dukester
11-10-2007, 09:46 PM
The last minute buck ,, dang thats all right. fusion bullets eh?? 1st post i have seen about there field use.. good shot. duke

rock
11-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Great job mark, like the goat in the back ground, Congrats

mark
11-10-2007, 09:52 PM
The last minute buck ,, dang thats all right. fusion bullets eh?? 1st post i have seen about there field use.. good shot. duke

The bullet couldnt have done better! Its a perfect mushroom, basically drilled a 1" hole right through him and landed on the hide on the other side. The buck took 100% of the impact and dropped him like a spine shot. I was amazed how little meat damage there was for a double shoulder shot. The bullets also performed as well on my moose this year! 2 thumbs up for fusion!

boxhitch
11-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Way to tough it out, Mark.
double shoulder ? someone bump your arm ? :)

dave_fras
11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
great buck mark.... now its time for a monster whitey!

Caveman
11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Nice job Mark!! Congrats on a nice buck, buddy!! I'm next!!

ARC
11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Nice buck! You waited until the last minute last year as well didn't you? Congrats

mark
11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Nice buck! You waited until the last minute last year as well didn't you? Congrats

Not really, last year I still had about an hour of light left in the season, but I got a way better buck! :D

Brambles
11-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Good on ya Mark, glad to see you nailed your buck.

Check out my little blurb about today's activities

5/10/85
11-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Nice buck! Looks like you do a little taxidermy on the side?

newhunterette
11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
^5 Mark - nice buck - seems everyone is doing wonderful with thier end of the season harvest - lots of congratulations

:)
Alison

BCJunior
11-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice buck ya got there!

.308win
11-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Congrats on a awesome buck!!...And an awesome season thus far!!....Best of luck on your other two tags!!

Perry

irishbandit1
11-10-2007, 10:59 PM
Way to go,great to see another K-town hunter that takes advantage of eveery minute of the season,congrats 'Bandit.

OOBuck
11-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Ill start off by admitting that I was feeling weak when I pulled the trigger. I couldnt get the last week off work as I wanted, the weather has sucked, warm, no snow :mad:. The rut hasnt seemed to be quite rocking around here, my t-cam has had more pics of hunters than deer, most of the does ive been seeing have had either small bucks or none at all. After a long hike in the area I figured would be the best odds of producing a big buck and again coming up dry, I got to my vehicle with about 20 minutes of light left. I figured Id rally to an old cutblock where I usually see does feeding. With only about 5 minutes of shooting light left I snuck into the block and glassed the area where the does usually hang, nothing, took 5 more steps and saw a deer at 200 yards. Sure enough its a decent buck, this is a test I figured, hes not what I was looking for, but to bad for him my will power was down, and scope power was cranked. 1 shot through the shoulders with the .300 mag, 180 gr. fusion, and he went down like a lead balloon! Sorry no feild pics, as I was alone and it was dark! Although its not a huge rack, he was a mature buck, with a large body and a huge head on him! Oh well I got 2 more tags to do better!

I can understand how that buck is not what you were looking for! :shock: I hope that was sarcasm on your part..:-D Try hunting the dogs on the Island..Dam nice buck!!!

mark
11-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Nice buck! Looks like you do a little taxidermy on the side?

Ahh, no, not my place, but pic was taken at a taxis shop! :)

OObuck, no sarcasm here, I usually get a way better buck here, I was a little dissapointed in myself for taking that one. Im sure I could of got a buck like that with my bow later but since I wont be here for the first week of bow season, my standards were a little in the gutter. Ive taken many bucks better than this one! And you can have them island rats, they dont interest me!

Gateholio
11-10-2007, 11:38 PM
Mark, you have been tainted by too many "hold out for the big one" posts...That's disappointing.;-)

That is an excellent buck, a fine deer. You shouldn't make any apologies.You have done better, and you have done worse. It's hunting and you got a really nice buck, and you had a good time, too.

Well done, and congrats!!:D

Brambles
11-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Since your at the taxidermists I assume your getting him mounted?

boxhitch
11-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Mark's got hunting to do ! No time for skinning.

mtnmax
11-11-2007, 06:35 AM
nothing wrong with that buck,,,,good job

WoodOx
11-11-2007, 09:57 AM
Congrats mark, way to close reg 8.

mark
11-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Since your at the taxidermists I assume your getting him mounted?
Ya right! I sold the cape to the taxi. I get my deer skinned for free and get paid too, its a great deal! i got too many mounts already, its gonna take a serious jaw dropper before I stuff another!

valleycowboy
11-11-2007, 09:32 PM
decent buck mark,congrats!! now lets see what the whities bring,lol.:wink:

Brambles
11-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Ya right! I sold the cape to the taxi. I get my deer skinned for free and get paid too, its a great deal! i got too many mounts already, its gonna take a serious jaw dropper before I stuff another!

Sounds like a good deal you got worked out, wish I could find a way to offset some taxidermy costs, I got 3 or 4 animals I want to mount and can never find the cash to do it:redface:

OOBuck
11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Ahh, no, not my place, but pic was taken at a taxis shop! :)

OObuck, no sarcasm here, I usually get a way better buck here, I was a little dissapointed in myself for taking that one. Im sure I could of got a buck like that with my bow later but since I wont be here for the first week of bow season, my standards were a little in the gutter. Ive taken many bucks better than this one! And you can have them island rats, they dont interest me!

ya don't have to rub it in:smile: Great deer.....

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Nice buck Mark! Good to see Georgia dumped the bigger one again. :-P

I've got a whitey tag left too...hope to find something shootable this weekend.

hunter1947
11-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Sometimes you have to do what makes seance ,you took a buck that you didn't want to take ,but at least you got to fill your tag Mark. Nice deer you got there mark ,heck i would of taken him at anytime of the hunting season ,congrats on a nice buck.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif