PDA

View Full Version : My 2021 Elk Hunt: the challenge bugle

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 11:09 AM
Please have patience with me to write this, as I'm trying to get it done around lunch/coffee breaks at work and after I put my son to bed........

My partner and I decided to hunt a place that I scouted in past years and I knew had elk in region 4...we would be hiking in camping & hunting from our base camp...we headed up on Sept 8th to hunt the last day and a half of bow only season, & if elk were located, continue hunting into the 6 pt GOS rifle hunt...

So we loaded up our packs and headed up the mountain, seeing somewhat fresh elk sign as we headed up the mountain...we saw sign in our hunting area but nothing super fresh, and after we set up our camp we covered ground looking for sign and sending out location bugles at various intervals as we travelled on the 8th, but got no replies....our plan was to hunt the next day and if we got no responses and/or saw no fresh sign, we'd head back down.....

https://i.imgur.com/lvhW0Tu.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ntpGi7V.jpg

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 11:15 AM
https://i.imgur.com/FhlXNUc.jpg

jan.wi97
09-23-2021, 11:31 AM
Looking forward to this one!!!!

RackStar
09-23-2021, 11:38 AM
What? Hunting posts? Sorry this doesn’t happen anymore. Please proceed to the covid thread.

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 12:46 PM
I will refer to my hunting friend/partner as 'buddy'...

So we wake up before first light on the 9th and about 10 minutes before first light I'm taking a leak, my buddy is rustling around in his tent, and as im doing my business I hear "EER eeeeeeoooooooo" - nice big bugle from several hundred yards down below our camp - "buddy, get out of your tent I just heard a bugle, let's go! - "yeah right sure" he replies.." I swear to you dude I just did" I say....so he gets his crap on steps out of his tent, we start making our way there with his bow in hand (I shoot recurve and I didn't bring mine up the mtn)...within a couple minutes we hear the bull sound off again - I look at my buddy at the tail end of the bugle and I can see his eyes bugging out of his head - "see told ya!" I say... now it's on - we run closer while paying attention to the wind and proceed to a tree that I believe is in the area of the bull, then I let out a screaming challenge bugle, while trying not to sound tooo big...now it's on - we see antlers crest this hill....

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 12:52 PM
THis bull is looking for the challenger, and even though it's any bull GOS with a bow, my buddy is at an angle that he can't help himself from counting 6 tines on each antler as they are glistening in the early morning light...were also throwing out several cow calls in the mix...but, either the wind changed or they spotted us because all of a sudden, a whole herd gets up and starts hauling ass out of the area - about 20 - 25 cow & calf elk.....the bull is still just out of range of my buddies bow so I let out a real emotional bugle right in this guy's face, but his desire to stay with his cows was too great - as he vacates with them he counters to my bugle and let's us know who's boss...aw crap we think to ourselves...

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 12:58 PM
Later that evening, I'm glassing this basin, while buddy is tending to bathroom matters...about the last hour of light or so to my right down in the basin I hear EEERRRRRRRR eeeooooooo....this time I can tell it's a different bull, & he's looking for action....I quickly rip over to our hunting camp not 50 yards away - "buddy! where the hell are you"? PPPPPssssst wwhheerrreee are you we need your bow! but I want to keep this bull in the area so I run back to the ridge and let out a bugle myself, he replies with authority with an even longer bugle with several chuckles....I make out his body through the trees - big - I think to myself maybe I can get buddy to come up with my own cow calls they travel - sure enough buddy comes back and askes what the commotion was...."we have another bull down here let's go!" so we grab our bare essentials and make our way toward him, with light fading away now.......

Harvest the Land
09-23-2021, 01:25 PM
FFS Harry you're letting work get in the way of your great story! Keep it coming bud - you're doing a great job so far

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 01:52 PM
As we make our way towards him we exchange bugles & throw out some cow calls, as he bugles back and destroys several smaller trees/bushes as he makes his way towards us....this bull is fired up, we exchange 6 - 8 bugles each, each one echoing out of the timber he resides in, sending waves of excitement and awe our way every time he sounds off...as he draws closer, each bugle gets more intense as we challenge each other, I'm trying to get him within buddies bow range but light is fading...we think we count 6, it would be a downhill shot with a bow and buddy isn't comfortable with it so he says " it's almost dark and I'm not comfortable with this shot, lets get out of here & try to count 6 and get him with the rifle in the morning" - I agree, we quickly proceed up the hill towards camp....as we're part way back up the hill, it's now basically dark and we hear "EERRRRRRR eeeeeooooooo! He sounds off right where we just left! We make our way back to our camp, with the hair standing up on the back of our necks from that last encounter..... as were eating dinner in the dark we can hear him still sounding off....

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 01:52 PM
FFS Harry you're letting work get in the way of your great story! Keep it coming bud - you're doing a great job so far
Thanks pal...................

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 03:31 PM
Morning of the 10th starts off with a echoey bugle from the timber in the ridge below as first light is cast upon us, we grab our gear and cut the distance before sounding off back at him, we exchange several bugles and we make sure our wind is good.. but as we get in to the vicinity of where we think he is, we let out another challenge bugle, and rake a tree in the hope that he'll come out to find us and we can count 6 tines....but this time, silence! He has gone completely silent, we wait and wait and wait but no sign of him....he's either winded us, caught a glimpse of us without us knowing, or my challenge bugle was a little too intimidating, because he vacated the area without a trace...buddy and I leave the area in despair and we get no other action the rest of that day.....we also found a tree he completely destroyed.....

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 03:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZH9muGt.jpg

oddsix
09-23-2021, 04:55 PM
Good stuff. Looking forward the see this one unfold

Bugle M In
09-23-2021, 05:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/ZH9muGt.jpg
^^^^thats a lot of destroyed trees he left behind^^^:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Husky7mm
09-23-2021, 06:53 PM
Really cool looking country.

dru88
09-23-2021, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the great story and pictures

srthomas75
09-23-2021, 08:06 PM
I'm looking forward to the rest of this as well.
[ what type of profession are you in? it looks like you have lots of breaks. ]

jimzuk
09-23-2021, 08:06 PM
Awesome story. Very nice looking area. We are going in October

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:24 PM
Typically I always consider the 5 W's when considering a location to build a shelter or setup at tent: wind, wigglies, wood, water, and widow-makers...well I looked at the forecast before departing and there was no forecasted rain, so I ignored the one 'W' and set up my tent in a perfect nook that was protected from the wind, but when the rain hit that night....well let's just say I had to move my tent and it was a fight to keep dry that night, I'll never do that again...

The next morning we hit it hard covering lots of ground, but no action.....

https://i.imgur.com/9PGwN0h.jpg

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:25 PM
I'm looking forward to the rest of this as well.
[ what type of profession are you in? it looks like you have lots of breaks. ]
LOL well typically I don't but I'm slacking...working for a City...

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:27 PM
So we're running out of food so we pack up camp back on our packs, but before we leave my buddy says "lets do one final location bugle in this basin" I was planning on it as we headed down the mountain so I let one rip....20 to 30 seconds later...we get a response...

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:31 PM
We quickly drop our packs and grab just our binos, rangefinders, rifles of course, & my spotting scope & bugle....we run down the ridgeline towards where the bugle came from and the bull sounds off again, this time with several chuckles - both my partner and I get shivers down our spines as we rip across the ridge cutting the distance... then we get eyes on him through the timber, were hugging a tree on the top of the ridge to hide our silhouette, while bugling back and forth with this bull, the initial location bugle now transformed into challenge bugles, each one with more emotion as he draws closer...

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:36 PM
I have to get into a shooting position then count tines and get this bull into a shooting location, but I have to get him closer through the timber so I can count tines easier and then potentially get a shot off...but he has his eyes scanning our location, looking for us - the other bull....so I get prone and elbow crawl onto this rocky outcrop, all the while bugling at him to try and draw him closer...but then he stops, that is, until he starts letting another bugle out and I rudely interrupted him by bugling right over top of him - that pisses him off & he steps closer, into a shooting lane through the timber, though not leaving the timber....

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:40 PM
I have a narrow shooting window, right through a spot between branches at just over 200 yards...Ok, and he's not moving, now I count tines....I think I count 6 but very hard as he won't turn his head for me but I think I count 6...."buddy! I have a shooting window and I think I count 6, do you count 6 DO YOU COUNT 6?" I quickly say...the bull then slightly turns his head, enough for my buddy to reply "I have 6 I count 6 tines! - OK, I'm going to take the shot I reply....

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:45 PM
I ease before taking the shot now, just focusing on the target and my breathing - getting into that calm shooting mode......all I had to aim for was through his neck and into his boiler room...BOOM..the .30-06 shooting 180 grainers roars, the bull instantly gets up on his hind quarters and falls to one side "F&#KING NAILED HIM!" my buddy excitedly says....we watch him for several minutes, as he's laying, then all of a sudden he gets up again - I quickly put another in him, and he still slowly walks off.....we wait a half hour or so, then went in to find him......

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:50 PM
I normally don't put my fugly mug on here but here goes....

https://i.imgur.com/ujglj34.jpg

Bugle M In
09-23-2021, 08:53 PM
Congrats buddy, nice job!

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:54 PM
From there we proceeded to quickly de-bone the bull, moved all the meat away from the carcass, then packed out our camps for the night...then spent the next 1.5 days hauling meat out... it was a definite team effort and I couldn't have done it without my hunting partner....some of the pack out was uphill, making it a grind.....

https://i.imgur.com/T58CPtA.jpg

This was a pack out of a front quarter and the head up a steep hill....well, let's just say I'll never do that in one packout again lol........

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:55 PM
As he lay pic.........

https://i.imgur.com/LhoOBpY.jpg

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:58 PM
2 days later we spent 11 hours and got him all butchered up, lots of meat for me and my partner's families...

https://i.imgur.com/rKF8ktL.jpg[/img

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 08:59 PM
https://i.imgur.com/pM4zshw.jpg

oddsix
09-23-2021, 09:05 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Mudsey
09-23-2021, 09:13 PM
Congrats. Great hunt and great write up! This is what this forum is about.

Blacktail1
09-23-2021, 09:18 PM
Absolutely fantastic!!!well done you two. Thanks for taking us along.

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 09:35 PM
Congrats buddy, nice job!
Thanks buddy!.....

Imdone
09-23-2021, 09:36 PM
Congrats, great story. Nice Bull.

HarryToolips
09-23-2021, 09:39 PM
Thanks everyone!"...........

srthomas75
09-23-2021, 10:22 PM
thanks for posting this. Adding pictures is the icing on top. it helps with the re-enactment of your hunt.

Keta1969
09-23-2021, 10:35 PM
Good story and nice bull. Congrats to you and your partner. Something about packing heavy loads out that makes it much more rewarding.

Bugle M In
09-23-2021, 11:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/pM4zshw.jpg
Nothing like the smell of fresh pine scented antlers in a small space!!

REMINGTON JIM
09-24-2021, 12:16 AM
Really NICE 6x6 there Harry - Congrats ! :wink: RJ

RackStar
09-24-2021, 05:59 AM
Great bull!

Ride Red
09-24-2021, 06:14 AM
Great story Harry; hard work paid off with a beautiful bull, congrats!!!

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 06:27 AM
Good story and nice bull. Congrats to you and your partner. Something about packing heavy loads out that makes it much more rewarding.
Indeed! Cheers...................

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 06:28 AM
Nothing like the smell of fresh pine scented antlers in a small space!!
LOL so true!............................

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 06:33 AM
Thanks everyone! Cheers..........

jac
09-24-2021, 06:54 AM
Thanks for sharing and Nice Bull. always best when you work so hard for it you appreciate it so much more!!

HighCountryBC
09-24-2021, 07:02 AM
Great job, Harry. You have been putting in the time over the last few years. Glad it paid off for you with a great hunt and bull. Congratulations.

Great scenery too.

Archer
09-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Thats just awesome! Great to see some solid hunting content. Well played, sir!

northof49
09-24-2021, 07:39 AM
Nice bull and pics…congrats….thx for the share.

browningboy
09-24-2021, 07:46 AM
Great job, packing out an entire front quarter would be heavy as hell! Nice to have an elk in the freezer!

walks with deer
09-24-2021, 08:40 AM
Awesome harry awesome....good job.

Jburger
09-24-2021, 09:11 AM
Nice bull. Thanks for taking the time to share your story. Much appreciated

jan.wi97
09-24-2021, 09:14 AM
Beauty Harry!!
Well done man

scttlp86
09-24-2021, 09:31 AM
Great story! Congrats on the bull

boilerroom
09-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Thanks for taking us along HT! Congrats on a beautful bull! How many pounds of meat would an animal of that size give you?

ghost
09-24-2021, 09:39 AM
nice story great bull

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone!!

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 10:33 AM
Thanks for taking us along HT! Congrats on a beautful bull! How many pounds of meat would an animal of that size give you?
I believe my partner and I got between 200-230 lbs ish......split equally of course..

Ron.C
09-24-2021, 11:18 AM
Great animal. Thanks for sharing the story and pics. HBC needs more of this.

Well done!!!

wideopenthrottle
09-24-2021, 11:30 AM
thanks for taking on that adventure with you...those haunting screams sending shivers down the spine are what hunting is all about

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2021, 01:15 PM
Awesome stuff, Josh!!
Huge congrats to both of you!
Your patience, persistence and scouting in 4W have certainly paid off!
That was an exciting hunt!

SSS

Husky7mm
09-24-2021, 01:33 PM
Great bull, great country and a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Harvest the Land
09-24-2021, 02:21 PM
From there we proceeded to quickly de-bone the bull, moved all the meat away from the carcass, then packed out our camps for the night...then spent the next 1.5 days hauling meat out... it was a definite team effort and I couldn't have done it without my hunting partner....some of the pack out was uphill, making it a grind.....

https://i.imgur.com/T58CPtA.jpg

This was a pack out of a front quarter and the head up a steep hill....well, let's just say I'll never do that in one packout again lol........

Now this is friggin Hard Core! Cannot believe you were able to get a front quarter and head on your back, and make your way uphill no less? Holy cow you're an animal.

What an epic story and hunt - wouldn't have expected anything less from you Harry. Absolutely stellar work and story telling. What a rush to be amongst all that bugling. And very smart thinking to interrupt the big guy while he was in the middle of a bugle - that's a great tactic and quick thinking and it worked out perfectly for you guys.

And thanks for all the great pics - you always take the best ones. Really like the ones you take where there are no wildlife, just nature. Was that one of smoke from the fires or was that fog?

P.S. - your kid looks like he was expecting you to come home with a 7 pointer - ha!

The pressure if off for you now with a full freezer and a ton of great memories. Thanks for taking us along for the ride

Ourea
09-24-2021, 03:46 PM
WAIT!!!!!
A hunting story being shared on HBC, what is this site coming to.

Kidding aside, great tale of a very well earned bull.

I am so pleased with your success, well done.
More importantly, you shared it with our hunting community so thumbs up.

Folks reading this wonderful thread take note.
This is what hbc is all about.
Step up and post adventures.

Cheers to you Harry.

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 07:25 PM
^^^^^cheers to you as well sir, thanks!

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 07:29 PM
Now this is friggin Hard Core! Cannot believe you were able to get a front quarter and head on your back, and make your way uphill no less? Holy cow you're an animal.

What an epic story and hunt - wouldn't have expected anything less from you Harry. Absolutely stellar work and story telling. What a rush to be amongst all that bugling. And very smart thinking to interrupt the big guy while he was in the middle of a bugle - that's a great tactic and quick thinking and it worked out perfectly for you guys.

And thanks for all the great pics - you always take the best ones. Really like the ones you take where there are no wildlife, just nature. Was that one of smoke from the fires or was that fog?

P.S. - your kid looks like he was expecting you to come home with a 7 pointer - ha!

The pressure if off for you now with a full freezer and a ton of great memories. Thanks for taking us along for the ride
Thanks buddy! It was the single most intense pack out I've done, after a bit so I wouldn't slow him down, after the hill, I took just the head and a back strap, and my buddy packed both front quarters at once, it was monster! That was all fog no smoke fortunately....lol I think he was expecting me to come back with a 7 pointer but he was pumped for what I did bring back, as this was me and my partners first elk...tones of great memories, and the half elk along with deer from last year should be sufficient for us meat wise, so I'll probably be selective the rest of the year, unless there's a good bodied deer that I can harvest with my boy of course, cheers!

HarryToolips
09-24-2021, 07:30 PM
And thanks everyone!!!.......

boilerroom
09-24-2021, 08:46 PM
I believe my partner and I got between 200-230 lbs ish......split equally of course..
thanks! Best wild game I've ever eaten and someday I hope I can put in enough time to have an opportunity.

whitespringer
09-24-2021, 09:43 PM
Sweet job man! Well done!!

Jrax
09-24-2021, 10:26 PM
Great story and hunt, thanks for sharing!

quadrakid
09-25-2021, 06:35 AM
Great writeup and a great bull. Nice when a plan comes together.

The Hermit
09-25-2021, 07:52 AM
Congrats on a nice bull!

nature girl
09-25-2021, 08:24 AM
Ah such a great elk. The whole time I was reading your elk adventure I was thinking to bad your son wasn't with you.

boxhitch
09-25-2021, 09:19 AM
great nice attago
the first ? but well practiced? the story reads like a vet, you guys made good choices

HarryToolips
09-25-2021, 08:28 PM
^^^^thanks, and thanks everyone!

HarryToolips
09-25-2021, 08:30 PM
Ah such a great elk. The whole time I was reading your elk adventure I was thinking to bad your son wasn't with you.
Thanks! I would have loved to bring him but the spot where we went was a little much for him yet, but I'm hoping to bring him there and other areas like that in coming years for sure...

BradC
09-25-2021, 09:25 PM
Nicely done!! Congrats on a beauty bull

mpotzold
09-25-2021, 09:39 PM
Congrats!
Nice photos.

Sitkaspruce
09-27-2021, 08:07 PM
Thanks Harry!! Great story and even better bull!

Nice to see hunting stories being posted!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Good luck for the rest of the season!

Cheers

SS

IronNoggin
09-28-2021, 10:53 AM
A very fine tale, and the pictures are excellent too!

Congrats Harry! Nice work man!! https://www.tnof.ca/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/Pozitive.gif

Really liking the return to the hunting tales I remember from here! Downright Refreshing!

Cheers,
Nog

monasheemountainman
09-28-2021, 11:39 AM
congrats dude thats a nice bull!

CabinFever
09-28-2021, 01:03 PM
Great thread and congrats on your successful hunt! Thanks very much for sharing.

Brambles
10-14-2021, 08:48 PM
Great story and pics, thanks for taking the time to share. Great bull and a good pack out...full package...congrats

Weatherby Fan
10-14-2021, 08:51 PM
Congrats HT, nice Bull, thanks for sharing.

HarryToolips
10-14-2021, 08:52 PM
^^^^^^thanks everybody! It was definitely the experience I was looking for....

Arctic Lake
10-14-2021, 09:26 PM
How did I miss this . Your animal is a beauty and way to go with hard work getting him to the freezer ! . I really need to try elk hunting before I can’t
Arctic Lake

Spy
10-14-2021, 09:48 PM
Awesome thanks for sharing really nice bull.

HarryToolips
10-15-2021, 09:45 PM
^^^^thanks guys!

Rattler
10-15-2021, 11:52 PM
Solid bull there…congratulations! Great write up as well…

HarryToolips
12-13-2021, 10:36 AM
^^^^thanks!..........

HarryToolips
12-13-2021, 10:37 AM
Got the euro mount done.....

https://i.imgur.com/qpZfbyv.jpg

HarryToolips
12-13-2021, 10:38 AM
https://i.imgur.com/PFObveT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hxZajw7.jpg

kennyj
12-15-2021, 02:11 PM
Nice bull!!
Thanks for the story.
kenny

HarryToolips
12-15-2021, 02:38 PM
You're welcome, and thanks!

slowjo
12-30-2021, 11:35 AM
great story, great pics, great bull, great euro, and that kid has a fantastic ape drape

HarryToolips
08-24-2022, 08:21 PM
great story, great pics, great bull, great euro, and that kid has a fantastic ape drape
LOL thanks didn't see this until now.....

HarryToolips
08-24-2022, 08:25 PM
https://i.imgur.com/n3fYS8H.jpg

Thought I'd bump this thread as I'm sure others are getting amped up for hunting season like I am.... the practice on the diaphragm mouth calls intensifies as do the workouts & mental preparation for the week or so marathon - the elk hunt draws near again...