PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa area

Cdog
09-22-2021, 12:19 PM
Has anybody been in this area lately? So is it total scorched earth or was the fire in pockets?

RyoTHC
09-22-2021, 12:51 PM
Has anybody been in this area lately? So is it total scorched earth or was the fire in pockets?

It’s a terrible place to hunt and fish, so unless you’re just going camping I wouldn’t consider the area even if it wasn’t burnt.

swampdonkey
09-22-2021, 03:50 PM
Lots of scorched earth from chartrand road to tunkwa The area is closed to hunting and back road travel.

Bugle M In
09-22-2021, 07:33 PM
There is a youtube video of a fellow from Kammy who flies all over those areas, Tunkwa, Westwald, Sparks Lake etc,
and shows an aerial view of many of the areas.
Some areas the fire just "hopped" along, and other areas got pretty scorched as far as the eye could see.
Think Tunkwa was pretty well burnt all around it.

lovemywinchester
09-22-2021, 08:39 PM
I was there on the weekend. It's a disaster. From Logan lake to the resort is burned. Everything the other way as well to above Indian Gardens. There are pockets of green here and there and lots of meadows survived but its pretty bad.

finngun
09-23-2021, 09:45 AM
It’s a terrible place to hunt and fish, so unless you’re just going camping I wouldn’t consider the area even if it wasn’t burnt.
Are u kidding ryo? I been there last 5 years and every year we nailed at least 2deer ..it just need some work and knowledge about area ..fishing seems to be ok..lucily cabins didn,t burnt..we always rent big log cabin,,with 5 people,(sleeps 10)..see ya there...f..g btw..duck hunting is good there too..

bacon_overlord
09-23-2021, 10:02 AM
Are u kidding ryo? I been there last 5 years and every year we nailed at least 2deer ..it just need some work and knowledge about area ..fishing seems to be ok..lucily cabins didn,t burnt..we always rent big log cabin,,with 5 people,(sleeps 10)..see ya there...f..g btw..duck hunting is good there too..

I suspect he considers it terrible cause there's too damn many people. Driving to work last year on opening morning or any buck greenstone and tunkwa looked like parade routes there were so many tail lights.

huntcoop
09-23-2021, 10:34 AM
Did the Tunkwa Resort and cabins burn?

Stillhunting
09-23-2021, 11:52 AM
The guys that I know who have success there, use the hunting pressure to their advantage.

finngun
09-23-2021, 12:12 PM
Did the Tunkwa Resort and cabins burn?
Nope lucily brave people there fight against a fire..saved i guess all cabins.. kudos for that..f..g

huntcoop
09-23-2021, 01:48 PM
Nope lucily brave people there fight against a fire.. saved i guess all cabins.. kudos for that ..f..g

Thanks, that's good news for them for sure.

REMINGTON JIM
09-23-2021, 02:56 PM
Thanks, that's good news for them for sure.

The Tunkwa Provincial Park campground survived Too ! :smile: RJ Its Temporarily Closed now !

Cdog
09-24-2021, 10:00 AM
Watch areal footage of the area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhoUuPYwxcU

Devastating, but good in the long run for ungulates.

lovemywinchester
09-24-2021, 10:56 AM
I was there on the weekend. It's a disaster. From Logan lake to the resort is burned. Everything the other way as well to above Indian Gardens. There are pockets of green here and there and lots of meadows survived but its pretty bad.

I should have mentioned the resort is fine. They lost three trailers unfortunately but everything else is fine. The resort is open and fishing is good but I wouldn't bother hunting around there this year, if it opens back up.