PDA

View Full Version : ISO yellow/black lab puppy

bigstew
09-21-2021, 12:58 PM
Hello all,

We recently had to put our chocolate lab down and are already feeling the need for a new puppy. Does anyone have recommendations for BC breeders. We are looking for a smaller female lab (prefer yellow or black) 60-75lbs. I know there is plenty listed online, but I was looking for other hunters experiences.

Thanks

Ron.C
09-21-2021, 01:04 PM
Look up Cedarbrae Labs. Not sure what they are doing for upcoming litters but they have amazing dogs. The owners are great people and took a pile of time with me answering questions and showing me their dogs long before I committed to a pup.

Im obviously biased as my girl is a cedarbrae pup.

My pup is 65# and this seems pretty normal from the other pups I've seen in their litters.

I've done some hunt tests with her (had her Jr hunter and 2 Snr Hunter passes at 2 years old) and she has 2 full bird seasons under her belt now.

Pretty certain her natural drive, instincts and ability have compensated for my shortcomings as a novice handler. I couldn't be happier with her.

mastercaster
09-21-2021, 04:24 PM
I've hunted with or know people who have hunted labs from these three places. They were well bred dogs with hunting solely in mind:

Belmont Retrievers (Kevin Hill),,,,,great dogs, great trainer!
Eromit Retrievers (Quesnel)
Someday Retrievers (Kamloops)

Dakota Creek
09-22-2021, 02:44 AM
As you start your search, find a breeder that understands the importance of health clearances on both the sire and dam which at a minimum is hips, eyes and elbows … results for these tests can be seen on the OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) website. Most breeders these days are also testing for CNM, EIC and PRA, all of which are genetic tests and easy to do and submit with a cheek swab by mail.

Any breeder who says they didn’t have time to do the tests on the sire and dam before the breeding was done is a red flag that they are in it for the money and not for the health of the sire, dam or the pups.

SR80
09-22-2021, 07:39 AM
Someday retrievers recently started taking deposits for liters for this winter, i know she had some yellow and black litters available. But she does sell out fast.