PDA

View Full Version : The Kid, brings home the Bacon

Drillbit
09-13-2021, 03:29 PM
Put the boat away after a long summer of reeling in some beauty fish, and decided to take the boys and see if we could find a nice bear.

We found something else haha.

The Kid made a good shot, broadside on the run, and the Wild Pig slid to a stop right in the middle of the old wagon road! Perfect!

Going to see if the meat is any good before we go back.

https://i.imgur.com/Ek8gNNC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oDbJIx0.jpg

Fella
09-13-2021, 03:30 PM
Wow is this in BC?

twoSevenO
09-13-2021, 03:34 PM
what the hell? Is that in BC? Doesnt look like a wild pig, but a domestic gone feral? So many questions!!

Either way, congrats .... good shooting. Thanks for sharing.

09-13-2021, 03:35 PM
oooohhhhh dick, your about to get a million PM's!!
but i second Fellas' question.. lol BC?

Harvest the Land
09-13-2021, 03:46 PM
Absolutely fantastic work! Was this near the Puddle?

We've heard the rumors for years that there's feral pigs in that area and this could be the first confirmed kill on HBC I think.

Well done wherever this critter was taken from

Drillbit
09-13-2021, 03:53 PM
Haha! Yep BC. West of Fraser

It's got decent tusks, not sure how that works, but I think they trim domestic ones?

It's definitely a domestic gone Feral pig.

Fella
09-13-2021, 04:26 PM
From what I know the wild pigs down south are basically the same animal as what you and I lovingly put next to our fried eggs in the morning. They get loose, go feral and destroy the woods. That’s why they want any pig you see in the woods to take a dirt nap. Anyways, good job to your son! That’s an awesome pig and I bet it’ll taste good

todbartell
09-13-2021, 04:58 PM
cool nipples

Gateholio
09-13-2021, 05:01 PM
Meat should be great. COngrats to the kid!

Wentrot
09-13-2021, 05:29 PM
That’ll shut all the “they don’t exist” boys up….maybe.

islandhunter
09-13-2021, 05:49 PM
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the bacon

boilerroom
09-13-2021, 05:57 PM
what a shot to the heart on the fly. Congrats to you and your boy DB!

Drillbit
09-13-2021, 06:22 PM
That’ll shut all the “they don’t exist” boys up….maybe.

They’re out there.

I saw 40-50 on the Farewell canyon rd this spring before I knew (believed) they were up for grabs.

We shot 2/4 in a group.
Saw another 12 but already had enough work to do.

Arctic Lake
09-13-2021, 06:39 PM
Yehaw ! Way to go young fella ! Looks like bacon and ham coming up .Man I’ve slaughtered thousands of domestic ones and cut up a few thousand . I’m into getting one of those hogs ! What do the regs say about those hogs ?
Arctic Lake

finngun
09-13-2021, 06:52 PM
Helibackon in bc?

Drillbit
09-13-2021, 07:09 PM
Helibackon in bc?

haha no heli

just a half-ton flying down wagon roads!

srupp
09-13-2021, 07:09 PM
Hmm seen couple photos from pigs harvested west of Williams lake...seen tracks trails..
CONGRADULATIONS WELL DONE
Cheers
Steven

nature girl
09-13-2021, 08:14 PM
Ah that's just awesome. Well done to your son.

Drillbit
09-13-2021, 08:27 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

Good luck this fall everyone!

Husky7mm
09-13-2021, 08:34 PM
That is really neat. Congratulations to dad and the young buck.

Rob Chipman
09-13-2021, 08:46 PM
Haha! Yep BC. West of Fraser

It's got decent tusks, not sure how that works, but I think they trim domestic ones?

It's definitely a domestic gone Feral pig.

Unreal! Seems like pretty good proof that they're around.

I've heard that a domestic pig will revert to exactly what you're looking at if it goes feral. Seems crazy but I've heard that's how it goes.

Good for your boy!

Blacktail1
09-13-2021, 09:20 PM
Great work you guys let us know how the bacon is!!

scoutlt1
09-13-2021, 09:59 PM
Congrats to you and your son!

Nice shot, and should be some good eats for sure!

M.

Dour
09-13-2021, 10:43 PM
Stupid question !! Are we supposed to report a pig kill ?

Husky7mm
09-13-2021, 10:53 PM
Unreal! Seems like pretty good proof that they're around.

I've heard that a domestic pig will revert to exactly what you're looking at if it goes feral. Seems crazy but I've heard that's how it goes.

Good for your boy!

A feral pig for sure, birkenshire iirc.

Bigdoggdon
09-13-2021, 11:37 PM
Great shot by the youngster, congratz.

BDD

Ride Red
09-14-2021, 06:19 AM
Great job, awesome shot and some fantastic eating coming your way!!!

bottles
09-14-2021, 06:33 AM
Nice shot! Heard rumors, but never seen photos of pigs in BC.

caddisguy
09-14-2021, 08:24 AM
Hah! Before I clicked on the thread, I figured "brings home the bacon" was just a loosely used figure of speech and was going to see a deer down.

Definitely was not expecting to see a wild(ish?) boar.

Wow! Way to go!!

Seeing that many, they must be reproducing in the wild versus all domestic gone feral?

bighornbob
09-14-2021, 08:30 AM
Stupid question !! Are we supposed to report a pig kill ?

Yah I just saw that in the regs. there is mandatory reporting for any ferel pig shot in BC

lovemywinchester
09-14-2021, 08:38 AM
Big *******, congrats. I'm would think the wolves and bears would take these guys out the first chance they get. Maybe that will help keep them in check in BC.

Imdone
09-14-2021, 09:20 AM
Congrats to the young hunter and his Pops.

Keta1969
09-14-2021, 09:24 AM
cool nipples

lol, you made me go back and look. Could hang your caulk boots on those. To the OP congrats to your son.

HarryToolips
09-14-2021, 12:48 PM
Great shooting young man congrats!

srupp
09-14-2021, 01:00 PM
Hmm Farewell canyon ? Only heard of them on the other side of hwy 20.
And yes exellent shot too
Srupp

srthomas75
09-14-2021, 01:14 PM
I am going to keep a keen eye out for some wild bacon as I'll be travelling through there in a couple weeks. [ be kind of cool to run into some ]

S.W.A.T.
09-14-2021, 06:09 PM
Pig breeds like large black and hearford naturally grow tusks. Yes farmers do trim them because they hurt like hell when you get whacked. All pigs will go farrel naturally but are also easily domesticated. That is a nice pig there and you guys should eat well off it. Congrats

walks with deer
09-14-2021, 06:28 PM
[QUOTE=Drillbit;2281185]Put the boat away after a long summer of reeling in some beauty fish, and decided to take the boys and see if we could find a nice bear.

We found something else haha.

The Kid made a good shot, broadside on the run, and the Wild Pig slid to

Anybody know how to photoshop the pigs halter we led it out with after feeding it grain and tailgate out the picture? We were pretty exited and almost forgot to take a picture before we loaded it into the truck.

[COLOR=#FFFFFF][FONT=&amp]https://i.imgur.com/Ek8gNNC.jpg

Drillbit
09-14-2021, 08:54 PM
Had a good talk with the MOF Invasive species boss today. I was tracked down and told to hurry up and report it (have 30 days from the date of kill). Thanks to whoever forwarded my info……was on here less than 24 hours….

I planned on heading back out this weekend to try and find more but apparently they don’t want them shot now. They’re going to try and trap them and don’t want them spooky.

Also learned some are diseased up and shouldn’t be ate. Then got the call from the butcher and the meats ready, but now I’m kind of not sure about it. It was a healthy looking pig and the meat was all good and clean, no stink, no worms. Should be ok?

srupp
09-14-2021, 10:17 PM
Hmm if your uncertain..drop 1 steak by..check on me in a week..lol..

I have a friend here who is a professional photographer...AND has a sophisticated photo editing software program..I will check with Garry regarding your photo.

Seriously doubt any issues with the meat...just more successful to trap pigs.and certainly ones not pushed.
Cheers
Srupp

Jagermeister
09-14-2021, 11:59 PM
Had a good talk with the MOF Invasive species boss today. I was tracked down and told to hurry up and report it (have 30 days from the date of kill). Thanks to whoever forwarded my info……was on here less than 24 hours….

I planned on heading back out this weekend to try and find more but apparently they don’t want them shot now. They’re going to try and trap them and don’t want them spooky.

Also learned some are diseased up and shouldn’t be ate. Then got the call from the butcher and the meats ready, but now I’m kind of not sure about it. It was a healthy looking pig and the meat was all good and clean, no stink, no worms. Should be ok?
I don't know who MOF Invasive species boss is, but I could not find any official notification that there is a curtailment on shooting feral pigs so him speaking to you personally does not make it apply to anyone else or you too for that matter.
Fat chance they will be able to trap the number of pigs you saw because what you saw maybe a small portion of the number that actually exist. Perhaps he and his buds have cheap pig on their minds and don't want the pigs spooky for their own intentions. And surely the butcher would be able to determine if your pig had disease. Looks like the heart of a pretty healthy pig to me.

walks with deer
09-15-2021, 06:32 AM
I don't know who MOF Invasive species boss is, but I could not find any official notification that there is a curtailment on shooting feral pigs so him speaking to you personally does not make it apply to anyone else or you too for that matter.
Fat chance they will be able to trap the number of pigs you saw because what you saw maybe a small portion of the number that actually exist. Perhaps he and his buds have cheap pig on their minds and don't want the pigs spooky for their own intentions. And surely the butcher would be able to determine if your pig had disease. Looks like the heart of a pretty healthy pig to me.

Its a great prank!! Thats the halter at the truck...

But i am enjoying watching this.

Drillbit
09-15-2021, 09:40 AM
Its a great prank!! Thats the halter at the truck...

But i am enjoying watching this.

Haha, no, not a prank. Those are tie straps to load it up with. It was hard lifting that thing into a truck with just 2 kids for help and no antlers to grab onto. Had to put a strap around its body and one around it's neck because the neck one wouldn't stay on with the shape of the neck and head.

Picture editing has been taken care of as well. Thanks!

S.W.A.T.
09-16-2021, 10:27 AM

Meat should be fine. Animals typically only develop diseases when locked in barns. Trick is almost non existing in Canadian pigs unless it's been feeding on meat same goes for worms.

The Hermit
09-16-2021, 11:59 AM
Cool cool cool!! great shooting by the young gun!! Nice rifle he has there too!

Mulehahn
09-16-2021, 01:17 PM
With the latest update (that I can find) June, 2020, it clearly says that hunting wild pigs us perfectly legal but that BC does not actively encourage it because it results in fracturing the population. Further, I don't see any great concern over diseases for humans but they can potentially destroy domestic pork production.

Congratulations, and enjoy the pork.

srthomas75
09-25-2021, 08:00 AM
has anyone else run into some wild hogs?