PDA

View Full Version : Guided Hunts: Tipping

wbeasley13
09-12-2021, 09:45 AM
Tried to see if there were any posts on this subject and couldn’t find anything.

With Outfitters opening up some guided hunts to BC Residents, just wondering what is the standard tip percentage you should abide by at a minimum for a successful hunt?

Thanks

Redthies
09-12-2021, 09:57 AM
I’ve never done a guided hunt, but worked with guides daily for years. I know they appreciate anything, as some people don’t tip at all, but I would say your standard percentages are a good guideline. If it’s a $2000 hunt, anything less than $300 (15% for the mathematically challenged) seems a bit “cheap” to me. And I also don’t think it should be dependant on the hunt being successful. If your guide works his butt off for you, and the animals don’t co-operate, that’s not his/her fault.

northernguy
09-12-2021, 11:14 AM
Between 10 to 15% is normal. Closer to 15% these days. Often a tip is supplemented with a gift of some gear if the client is so inclined.

Some of the biggest tips I have received were from some of the toughest hunts. As mentioned, if the guide works hard, they are usually tipped well regardless of the outcome of the hunt.

wbeasley13
09-12-2021, 02:30 PM
Thanks

Appreciate the info on the norms - and I 100% agree the success of the hunt may not necessarily be the kill of the game - but having a guide that puts in the effort to ensure you have an enjoyable experience.

N¡ck
09-12-2021, 03:49 PM
I don't understand tips. Just pay what the guides are worth. If they still need tips to survive that just means they are underpaid.

MOOSE MILK
09-12-2021, 04:01 PM
Why is it some jobs require tipping?
When is the last time you topped a gas attendant?, A grocery checkout girl?, The auto mechanic?, The guy who delivers the propane to your house?
Lots of jobs out there that doesn't pay a whole lot and don't get tipped.
Why the waitress, and the guide?
MM

Citori54
09-12-2021, 04:22 PM
I had always thought the standard was 10%. The last horseback trip I did was $4000. The country we hunted was spectacular and the experience was fantastic. There were some deficiencies with the outfitter but both he and his helper worked their ass off and we got one nice buck between the two of us. Despite the deficiencies we felt 10% was fair and the outfitter was more than happy.

northernguy
09-12-2021, 04:39 PM
I don't understand tips. Just pay what the guides are worth. If they still need tips to survive that just means they are underpaid.

Adding 10-15% to the cost of a hunt to improve wages won't sell. It's been tried and hasn't worked.

Tipping seems to be a quirky social norm in many industries...just like haggling on the price of a car or house but not on groceries. Social constructs are complicated and generally make no sense but it's the way it is.

Ron.C
09-12-2021, 05:08 PM
Never done a guided hunt but have done several offshore fishing charters in Hawaii, Mexico and Trinidad. Some charter captains are happy to take your money and take you for a boat ride. Others bust their balls to get you on fish. It's easy to tell the ones who want you to get full value out of a charter and have a memorable trip and I tip them accordingly.

I expect hunting guides are the same.

wingmaster
09-12-2021, 05:59 PM
100$ per day is where it should start, guides work long days and if you look at their day wages spread over the hours they work the hourly is just sad

IslandWanderer
09-12-2021, 06:07 PM
A $10 Tim's gift card should be enough.

Grizz.325
09-12-2021, 06:54 PM
I guided for years and here r some variables to consider. If you’re in a camp with a cook and the guide has a wrangler to tend the horses, all will appreciate a tip of any sort but the guide might not be as busy as if he is doing all the cooking, cleaning, wrangling, guiding etc. $100/ day is a good place to start. The hours are often 16-18 hrs a day or more and the stress to be successful is very high.

Imdone
09-12-2021, 07:40 PM
Well put Grizz

358mag
09-12-2021, 08:27 PM
i guided for years and here r some variables to consider. If you’re in a camp with a cook and the guide has a wrangler to tend the horses, all will appreciate a tip of any sort but the guide might not be as busy as if he is doing all the cooking, cleaning, wrangling, guiding etc. $100/ day is a good place to start. The hours are often 16-18 hrs a day or more and the stress to be successful is very high.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^x2^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

srupp
09-12-2021, 08:36 PM
Hmm never expected a tip..but was pleasantly surprised most trips,never felt bad when I didn't get a tip..once got a custom fly rod custom made for my client who tagged out extra early.
My twin brother had a fishing client who tipped him more than the cost of the fishing trip .
Betty was generous in her wages but not exhorbatant..can remember $1800 tip for 14 day hunt..one American opened his wallet kept $10 for a drink on the plane and handed over the rest of his wallet... $2500 canadian...but notable as the exception. .
The $100/day is on the high side..but happened often..had a real surprise with a wonderful Texan on a wolf hunt..he did NOT get a wolf but was extremely generous with me.. $$$$.
Interesting that the biggest bear was the lower end of tip.one guy who saved for 10 years for his dream bear hunt still managed $500 tip..I was humbled.
Gerry client was a billionaire..literally and the tip was astonishingly high..most I have heard of..despite gerrysome bizzzrre schedule and Gerries fishing talents /knowledge..impressive tip .
Tip is not mandatory and shouldn't be expected..when it happens..pleasant surprise.
S

BCBRAD
09-13-2021, 06:41 AM
Not been on a guided hunt , but have made a lot of trips coastal fishing. This year the 4 of us tipped $600 for 3 days fishing, the charter was $1200 each.
Our guide is a one man show and does work hard for the fish plus his equipment and accommodations are top notch.

In Hawaii (Kona), a 6 hour charter was ~$100/hour in 2017, so the tip is usually $150. We do not keep any fish unless a deal is struck before departing as we only want enough for a couple meals. 6 hours is lots as you start fishing right away, no prolonged boat ride.

Redthies
09-13-2021, 07:04 AM
A $10 Tim's gift card should be enough.

And don’t be surprised if you get a knuckle sandwich for your troubles. That sort of crap is worse than no tip at all.

Bustercluck
09-13-2021, 07:35 AM
I work with a guy that still does some black bear guiding and he told me he saves all of his big bears for the Americans, because they give the biggest tip. I think he said the aussies were the cheapest so he gave them all of the smallest ones.

It’s something to think about. Maybe put that on the table right away. “If you find me what I’m looking for than I’ll put this in your pocket”

Krico
09-13-2021, 02:58 PM
The fact that tipping is expected in any industry is ridiculous - employers should be paying employees appropriately. If you’ve already agreed to pay x for a service/experience why should you feel obligated to fork over more money just because the provider delivered on their promise?
I’m not saying nobody should ever tip - just that expecting it seems absurd.
Our society seems to have gone from “tipping for extraordinary service” to “not tipping for extraordinarily bad service.”

tigrr
09-13-2021, 06:07 PM
Tips pay for the planes to fly around and find the big game animals. Didn't you know that. Just kidding.
If it wasn't true.

Gateholio
09-13-2021, 06:36 PM
I work with a guy that still does some black bear guiding and he told me he saves all of his big bears for the Americans, because they give the biggest tip. I think he said the aussies were the cheapest so he gave them all of the smallest ones.

It’s something to think about. Maybe put that on the table right away. “If you find me what I’m looking for than I’ll put this in your pocket”

People that don't like tipping don't understand the dynamics of tipping and what's going on behind the scenes. It's not just in the guiding industry but every industry that has tipping part of it's culture. :)

RDJ
09-14-2021, 01:29 PM
In very simple terms, if the guide does NOT work his/her butt off, I simply don't come back or recommend. If he/she DOES work their butt off, I'm getting what I expected and paid for. That was all negotiated before I made my commitment to the hunt. I sincerely don't believe there is ANYONE out there who is willing to pay his/her HARD EARNED money for mediocre effort. I'm expecting all-in or nothing. Am I alone in my views?

Hunterguy
09-15-2021, 04:16 PM
Guided fishing and nothing worse than a guy steps in your boat and says your tip will be a dollar a pound. Well buddy your already not my favourite kind of guy. I found that if the guy is a knob and starts to tell me how to guide it will be a long trip! I would say 90 percent of my clients over 22 years were great guys and looked at the bigger picture rather than the success. A lot have been good friends over the years. The worst is a guy who is up on a corporate trip and whines the whole time but has a great trip. Than you have a guy who has saved for a trip of a lifetime and the fish disappeared. That bothered me a lot.

Grizz.325
09-15-2021, 06:23 PM
The rates for a guide have come up slightly in the past decade but the outfitters traditionally pay guides a low wage(less then minimum wage, when averaged hourly), cause they know guides are getting tips. I would never have survived in the business as a guide, as long as I did if it were not for tips.

Darksith
09-15-2021, 06:59 PM
There is punching in and punching out, and then there is going above and beyond.
If you don't get why to tip or you only tip a waitress 10% or less...well you simply don't get it. If my drink is never empty, if they are checking in on me and making sure I am completely satisfied constantly that ensures that my experience is the most enjoyable. I reward that accordingly. Doesn't matter if its a guide, my waitress, my tattoo artist. they can do the bare minumum or they can make sure Im well taken care of, if you don't know the difference then your spoiled.

srthomas75
09-15-2021, 07:33 PM
I don't mean to sidetrack this thread but I have a question that I'm curious to hear other's view. [ somewhat related topic] Restaurant tipping I understand [ host, waitress, busboy, dishwasher etc..] but what do people feel about a takeout style restaurant? What is appropriate in this situation? The customer in this case doesn't have the same interactions as when they are at a sit down place.

j270wsm
09-15-2021, 07:43 PM
I don't mean to sidetrack this thread but I have a question that I'm curious to hear other's view. [ somewhat related topic] Restaurant tipping I understand [ host, waitress, busboy, dishwasher etc..] but what do people feel about a takeout style restaurant? What is appropriate in this situation? The customer in this case doesn't have the same interactions as when they are at a sit down place.

a lot of business are making it so that gratuities are automatically added to the bill, which I strongly disagree with.