PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Lake

high and to the right
09-08-2021, 07:55 PM
After decades of hunting in swamps, muskeg and mud for moose, and feeling the creeping up of age (mid 70's), I'm thinking of checking out a different area. I looked on the map and saw a place called Carbon Lake (near Hudson Hope) that looks like it would give me some fishing along with some hunting. Is this an area worth looking into for moose and elk, or is it just a busy logging road, or does it already have an abundance of hunters. Is the FSR drivable to haul in a small travel trailer? Thanks for any help along the way. Please PM me or respond to this post. Thanks.

tyyota
09-09-2021, 10:12 AM
We hunted the rut in 2019. Stayed at Gething Creek Rec site as Carbon Lake was taken by other hunters when we arrived. We spotted black bear, griz, white tail, muley, moose, and elk, but nothing was inside the legal parameters. We bumped into other hunters regularly, but there is more than enough ground to go around.
The mainline was well traveled by logging traffic during the week, but not a problem. This is a good place to have a radio with Road Resource channels to communicate. The loggers were taking very good care of the road so no problem towing a travel trailer. It will pick up a few pounds of mud if the road is wet. Tire chains should be standard as the chance of snow is better than 50/50.
The ground on the west side of Carbon Creek is considerably steeper, more rugged, with less road density. Also note there is patches of private forest land on that side.
Good luck. I hope to go back some time.
T

high and to the right
09-09-2021, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the reply. Bob