PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations for cabins?

andrew5
09-06-2021, 11:10 PM
Hi all,

looking for your top recommendations on hunting/fishing/wilderness/adventure reading material to have on hand both during and after hunting season. Both fiction and non fiction alike.

some ideas I have initially include: call of the wild, hunter angler gardener cook, into the void, grizzlies and white guys, empire of the summer moon.

would
love to hear what else belongs on a cabin coffee table or book shelf.

Good luck to everyone this season too.

dakoda62
09-07-2021, 02:16 AM
3 against the wilderness.

jac
09-07-2021, 05:48 AM
“The man called red”

One of my favourite books

Jrax
09-07-2021, 06:43 AM
dream rams of bc. hard to leave at cabin but it feels like a present everytime i go back haha

Agustin
09-07-2021, 08:43 AM
"The old man and the sea" is one of my favourite.

BRvalley
09-07-2021, 09:46 AM
anything by Valerie Geist
Gary Shelton's bear attack books, 3 of them
Stephen Herrero - bear attacks, causes and avoidance

The Hunting & Fishing Library - I think the full set is around 60 books

Wilson Rawls - Where the Red Fern Grows
Paul Quarrington - Fishing with my Old Guy

I think the Hardy Boy's series are good cabin reading material

can often find somebody unloading their older magazine collection

andrew5
09-07-2021, 10:00 AM
anything by Valerie Geist
Gary Shelton's bear attack books, 3 of them
Stephen Herrero - bear attacks, causes and avoidance

The Hunting & Fishing Library - I think the full set is around 60 books

Wilson Rawls - Where the Red Fern Grows
Paul Quarrington - Fishing with my Old Guy

I think the Hardy Boy's series are good cabin reading material

can often find somebody unloading their older magazine collection

I have Stephen Herrero's book up there. I red that one many times. once I brought it along on a backcountry hike in northern Montana in Glacier national park, and read the account of one of the attacks in Glacier when I was solo tenting at the trailhead where the attack occurred. Didn't sleep too well that night!

skyeco
09-07-2021, 08:47 PM
Decent into madness

by Vernon Frolick

An excellent book of manhunt and murder in the Canadian Wilderness. If your familiar with the Atlin, Telegraph and Dease Lake area then this book will be very interesting to you. People there still remember the guy this book is about. Vernon Frolick was the crown prosecutor for the area at the time so the info is very accurate.

Enjoy!

Harvest the Land
09-07-2021, 09:10 PM
The Still Hunter

by Theodore Van Dyke

skuntor
09-07-2021, 09:36 PM
The Golden Spruce

BRrooster
09-18-2021, 03:42 PM
I like books by Peter Hathaway Capstick, Robert Ruark, Col Jim Corbet, and even some Hemmingway , although it is fiction. For light reading and uncontrollable laughter, Patrick F McManus. Don't read the stuff about Grizz attacks and all that till winter and you are safe at home.
B.

Keta1969
09-18-2021, 05:06 PM
It's hard to find but it shows up used online "Hard Hunting" Patrick Shaughnessy and Diane Swingle. They do a hunt all in one season in Northen B.C. Good pictures and good stories. Unbelievable amount of work and very spartan camping. Think they get 2 rams, a grizzly, a black bear, a caribou, maybe a moose I can't remember. Really enjoyed it.

N¡ck
09-18-2021, 08:22 PM
BC books
Anything from Roderick Haig Brown, BC legend.
The golden spruce by John Vaillant. That book was insane. Kinda feel the same way...

N¡ck
09-18-2021, 08:24 PM
The Golden Spruce

Did not see that. Agreed loved it.

longstonec
09-18-2021, 08:54 PM
Grizzlies Gales and Giant Salmon.

Johnathan Livingston Seagull.

The Count of Monte Cristo.

Hoffer
09-19-2021, 07:49 PM
Alone Against the North, Adam Shoalts

Gateholio
09-19-2021, 08:53 PM
Chilco Choate, Fred Webb.

A Hunters Road by Jim Fergus is a good story of a guy and his dog hitting the road in a camper truck to spend the entire season bird hunting in the USA.

I like lots of the BC historical books that you often see in small town gas stations.

Moose63
09-23-2021, 04:51 AM
Hunt High by Duncan Gilchrist

Elk of North America - Ecology & Management by WMI

Radical Elk Hunting Strategies by Mike Lapinski

Getbent
09-24-2021, 04:44 AM

A Hunters Road by Jim Fergus is a good story of a guy and his dog hitting the road in a camper truck to spend the entire season bird hunting in the USA.

I like lots of the BC historical books that you often see in small town gas stations.
I agree with Gate…you can find some really interesting small run books. Slumach’s Gold, The Fraser, Samsqaunch books…

mpotzold
09-24-2021, 02:29 PM

update

Author & former guide Chilco Choate now 86, has returned to Clinton after 60 years as a guide outfitter at Gaspard Lake.

"Choate remained at Gaspard Lake, which still has no electricity or running water, until last year when he moved to Clinton after he fell and hit his head".

https://www.wltribune.com/community/prime-time-chilco-choate-reflects-back-on-life-in-the-bush/ (https://www.wltribune.com/community/prime-time-chilco-choate-reflects-back-on-life-in-the-bush/)

Met Chilco a while back at his Gaspard camp & he was a super friendly & talkative guy, extremely interesting & knowledgeable in wilderness topics, animal behaviour, bush safety etc.
After telling him about the grizz that charged Eve & I by Gaspard Creek he told us where the recent grizz sightings were & what to watch for in the general area.

mpotzold
09-24-2021, 07:35 PM
More on Chilco

Also see

#25 “Unfriendly Neighbours” –a great book

#26 to #29 our Chilco visit at Gaspard

chilco choate film (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?103986-chilco-choate-film&highlight=chilco+choate+film)

Treed
09-24-2021, 08:50 PM
Ridgeline by Michael Punke. About the conflicts between the US Gov and the Lakota Indians. It’s a true tale in the Powder River Valley in Wyoming. The story ofCrazy Horse, an ill-equipped army charged with building a fort in the middle of Lakota land and the battles that ensue. Damn good book, worthy of a cabin.

mpotzold
09-24-2021, 09:43 PM
Another great author-Chris Kind –like Chilco a Clinton resident.

On Chris & his books
ABC BookWorld (https://abcbookworld.com/writer/kind-chris/)

Also great authors Charles Sheldon & Gary Shelton
See # 22, # 23, # 24 on Chris
See # 4-Charles Sheldon & Gary Shelton
Classic Hunting Books/Authors/Reading (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?139013-Classic-Hunting-Books-Authors-Reading)

smallfry14
09-25-2021, 08:01 AM
Can't believe we've gotten to page 3 without the mention of BC resident's Pat Ferguson books.
Gone Huntin', Gone Huntin' Again, and Cowboys, Good Times and Wrecks.
Lots of huge mountain goats, big moose, stone sheep and caribou.

andrew5
09-25-2021, 08:15 AM
These are great! Looking on Amazon and the Chilco Choat one for example is $59. Anyone have any tips on finding them at a more reasonable price?

saskbooknut
09-25-2021, 04:35 PM
Use Bookfinder.com to search for books
Amazon tacks on a substantial profit margin.
Patronize your local booksellers and leave a want list with them. Postage is a killer these days

tylerduce
12-02-2021, 11:49 AM
"The old man and the sea" is one of my favourite.

The best story ever told.

MRP
12-02-2021, 01:15 PM
Any of R.M Patterson’s 5 books

MichelD
12-02-2021, 01:32 PM
The art of hunting big game in North America. Jack O'Connor.

The Tiger. By John Vaillant.

Read that one at the cabin and you'll buy a chamber pot so you don't have to go outside to the shitter at night.

Drillbit
12-02-2021, 04:03 PM
If you want to laugh, the Pat Mcmanus hunting stories are pretty entertaining. "They Shoot Canoes"

Steve W
12-02-2021, 09:06 PM
Men for the Mountains and Switchbacks by Sid Marty. Also his book Black Grizzly of Whisky Creek.

Decent into Madness is a great, but slightly disturbing read. I read it in two days. Hard to put down.

Avalanche123
12-02-2021, 09:20 PM
In The Land of The Red Goat - Bob Henderson

Excellent book...BC too!

Angus
12-02-2021, 09:24 PM
Crusoe of Lonesome Lake

Imdone
12-02-2021, 10:18 PM
Campfires in the Rockies 1904

caddisguy
12-03-2021, 12:38 AM
Great thread. I cannot wait to check out some of these books.

I don't have much to contribute tho... "Where the red fern grows" for the youngins? Blacktail Trophy Tactics for the coasters?

Thanks all for posting up books here... super excited.

tinhorse
12-03-2021, 08:15 AM
Grass Beyond the Mountains
Nothing to Good for a Cowboy and
The Rancher Take a Wife

Good reads about the chilcotin early days

widger
12-05-2021, 07:25 PM
Down in Bristol Bay by Bob Durr. A good read about fishing in Bristol Bay and some interesting people.

mpotzold
12-05-2021, 08:39 PM
Grass Beyond the Mountains
Nothing to Good for a Cowboy and
The Rancher Take a Wife

Good reads about the chilcotin early days

Excellent books!

About the Author

Richmond P. Hobson Jr. (1907-1966) was born in Washington, DC, where he worked with pack outfits, survey crews, and construction gangs, saving, all the while, to buy a cattle ranch. He came to Canada after the stock market crash of the late 1920s. He and his business partner, Panhandle “Pan” Phillips, moved to the interior of British Columbia and established the Frontier Cattle Company in the 1930s. He later married his wife, Gloria, moved to Vanderhoof, British Columbia, and continued ranching while writing about his experiences.

A must read-see #4-
Pan Phillips movie (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?130718-Pan-Phillips-movie&highlight=PANHANDLE+PHILLIPS)

kitnayakwa77
12-06-2021, 10:15 PM

Totally agree! awesome books if you can find them!

tylerduce
12-07-2021, 12:02 PM
Robinson Crusoe
The Storm Testament series
Anything Louis L'Amour

backstrap
12-07-2021, 12:28 PM
Horns in the high country….if you like sheep.

labyrinth of ice. True story of an Arctic expedition….it’s crazy what people can endure.

xcaribooer
12-07-2021, 02:44 PM
"the wilderness of Denali "by Charles Sheldon is one of my favs, tells about his one year spent in the Denali area of Alaska in the late 1800's, all he did was hunt everyday! Mostly sheep and bears. its a great trip back in time ..with a rifle and a pack

NMO
12-07-2021, 03:21 PM

x2 these are fantastic

tyreguy
12-07-2021, 04:50 PM
A book thats an interesting read but a bit on the darker side is called "Descent into Madness"

A trapper/ bushman living near Dease / Telegraph area back in the 70-80's i think

The true story unfolds a gripping tale of one of western Canada's greatest wilderness manhunts. The book is based on the incredible diaries of the crazed Michael Oros, and follows his lengthy pursuit by police up to the time he is taken by an RCMP bullet.The author and Crown Prosecuting Attorney, Vernon Frolick, has written this book from the outlaw's point of view, based on the diary entries made by Michael over his thirteen-year descent into madness. The reader is taken into the mind of one of Canada's most vicious killers and is presented with his thoughts, actions, and reactions as he is tracked by the RCMP throughout northern British Columbia. The book also follows and details the moves and moods of the Mounties as they try to capture the killer. In the end, a misfired bullet by a marksman who never missed an open window of opportunity and the Mounties, complete Michael Oros' descent into madness.

ACB
12-07-2021, 05:48 PM
X2 on the Chris Kind books. One of my favourites Is by James Houston," Confessions of An Igloo Dweller. A True story of the man who brought Inuit art to the outside world. I love to read good waterfowl stories with humour, like Doug Larsen's "the duck gods must be crazy". And of course " Classic Waterfowl Stories" edited by Lamar Underwood, that's a great waterfowl read. And of course you can't have any list of B.C. writers without a mention of Dave Stewart and his "LAST CASTS" stories I got a signed copy of his complimations at the Outdoor Show shortly before he passed away, it was a treat to talk to him.

Fallkniven
12-07-2021, 06:26 PM
Maneaters of the Kumaon by Jim Corbett probably the best hunting book ever written.

mpotzold
12-07-2021, 10:09 PM
"the wilderness of Denali "by Charles Sheldon is one of my favs, tells about his one year spent in the Denali area of Alaska in the late 1800's, all he did was hunt everyday! Mostly sheep and bears. its a great trip back in time ..with a rifle and a pack

See POST#22
Best book for mountain hunt - Page 3 (huntingbc.ca) (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?152932-Best-book-for-mountain-hunt/page3&highlight=charles+sheldon)

Skull Hunter
12-08-2021, 01:51 PM
Lots of great suggestions here, and I'll add a couple more.

Paddle to the Amazon and Paddle to the Arctic by Don Starkell

Thor Heyerdahl books are also interesting reads most know the Kon-Tiki Expedition but he's got several other similar voyages that he's documented. The Ra Expedition and the Tigris Expedition come to mind.

hawk-i
12-08-2021, 02:58 PM
Fiction .... 6 books by Jean M. Auel, Earth's children series...some prehistoric hunting stories and journey's at a time Neanderthals still roamed what is now Europe.