PDA

View Full Version : Target practice near Vancouver

Agustin
09-06-2021, 10:39 AM
My Little Brother is showing an interest in bows, guns, hunting, and all that jazz. I thought it would be cool to take him target practice with the compound and crossbow to finish hooking him up.

Normally, I'd do that in crown land, 2.5+ away from the city, and with few people around. However, I our outings are of two to four hours per week, so that is out of the question. I also checked places like the Coquitlam Hunting club, but they don't do drop-ins due to the virus anymore.

So, is there any place closish to Vancouver in which we can do some target practice in relative peace?

Thanks!

RyoTHC
09-06-2021, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately not.
you can barely make it to hope the hope area from Vancouver in two hours with all the traffic and abysmal city planning. Mind you a bow would be easier to find space for than a gun but unless you want to join the crowds of idiots up Harrison and such, you can hardly get out of town limits in your allotted time let alone travel to and from get everything set up then cleaned up and back home, you’ll likely have to make a day of it if this is something you want to achieve.

cameron0518
09-06-2021, 11:22 AM
3-4 hours and you have a chance. As mentioned above, bow might be easier. I am not in the city and traveled 2+ hours to find a legal spot.

westcoaster
09-06-2021, 11:38 AM
Most of the back roads in the Fraser Valley have 400M no shooting restrictions.
Those were implemented as a result of target shooters who couldn't get the concept of target and BEYOND and cleaning up their mess after they were done shooting.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0073-001092
https://www.fvrd.ca/assets/Government/Documents/NoShootingAreas.pdf

caddisguy
09-06-2021, 12:09 PM
Most of the back roads in the Fraser Valley have 400M no shooting restrictions.
Those were implemented as a result of target shooters who couldn't get the concept of target and BEYOND and cleaning up their mess after they were done shooting.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0073-001092
https://www.fvrd.ca/assets/Government/Documents/NoShootingAreas.pdf

And those types are still shooting all over the place (within 400M) with no regard as to where their bullets end up and leaving garbage.

I never really agreed with the 400M thing to begin with, just figured it would push trash further out into the bush and get shooters up spur roads turned around and confused not realizing they are shooting towards roads. I think they hoped another law would eliminate bad apples without need for enforcement.

Anyway rant aside (still bitter about getting shot at least weekend) it sounds like a shooting range might be ideal? Could you just get a membership at PCDHFC? Then you could shoot anytime and not have to pay drop in fees.

Arctic Lake
09-06-2021, 02:48 PM
I stand to be corrected but I think you are good up the East side of Harrison Lake ? I have come to this conclusion by looking at the links provided by Westcoaster . I assume no liability issues or any other repercussions if this is not correct !
Arctic Lake

Agustin
09-06-2021, 03:33 PM
Sounds like the ideal solution would be not to live in Vancouver. Funny how that seems to solve so many problems lately lol.

For now, I'll just become a member of a PCDHFC and/or go to Harrison East, far away from the idiots there.

Thank you folks, I appreciate the suggestions.

Noreasny
09-06-2021, 04:54 PM
There is an archery target area just in behind bill copeland arena in Burnaby I’m not sure of the details of this place other then the location

Redthies
09-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Sounds like the ideal solution would be not to live in Vancouver. Funny how that seems to solve so many problems lately.

Except the one of where you live after your property burns up...

savage10
09-06-2021, 06:54 PM
Thompson mountain sportsmen’s association, it’s a range in Pitt meadows and has a 100 yard range among others. They do day passes! Most other ranges do not.

westcoaster
09-07-2021, 07:08 AM
I thought it would be cool to take him target practice with the compound and crossbow to finish hooking him up.

Burnaby has an archery range on Kensington Ave by the CG Brown pool.
No idea what would be involved to go shoot some arrows there but it may be an alternative for a guy...

Ride Red
09-07-2021, 08:46 AM
Join Mission range and you can bring a guest for $20 drop in with said member. After 2 years, you can have 2 guests at $20/each drip in.

Livewire322
09-07-2021, 09:14 AM
Burnaby has an archery range on Kensington Ave by the CG Brown pool.
No idea what would be involved to go shoot some arrows there but it may be an alternative for a guy...

It’s relatively cheap for a membership. Unfortunately, they make you do an intro course before you can shoot, the field is typically chock full of goose turd and/or mud, and crossbows aren’t allowed.

Having done that song and dance, I’d recommend finding a spot in the bush. The Fraser valley no shooting areas (400 m from road centerline) applies to firearms only.

simonvancouver
09-07-2021, 05:16 PM
By "little Brother" do you mean your actual LB or the program Big Brothers offer? If the later you can request a weekend outing for longer time period, with both the family and the office, this i found to be successful when I did the program. If your actual brother then, same as others have suggested above.

My Little Brother is showing an interest in bows, guns, hunting, and all that jazz. I thought it would be cool to take him target practice with the compound and crossbow to finish hooking him up.

Normally, I'd do that in crown land, 2.5+ away from the city, and with few people around. However, I our outings are of two to four hours per week, so that is out of the question. I also checked places like the Coquitlam Hunting club, but they don't do drop-ins due to the virus anymore.

So, is there any place closish to Vancouver in which we can do some target practice in relative peace?

Thanks!

Dour
09-07-2021, 08:20 PM
Maybe Stanley park !!!!!! �� Too soon ?

Deer_Slayer
09-11-2021, 06:04 PM
What happened to Port Coquitlam range? Is it now a private Chinese range? Last time I went there it was Chinese marshalls, Chinese staff and all Chinese shooters. Drove there for nothing. There was no way I was gona get to shoot. Anyone wonder why Chinese have bought up huge amounts of firearms and taken over the local gun ranges?

N¡ck
09-11-2021, 09:18 PM
Chinese army preparing to invade Canada?

silveragent
09-12-2021, 07:41 AM
What happened to Port Coquitlam range? Is it now a private Chinese range? Last time I went there it was Chinese marshalls, Chinese staff and all Chinese shooters. Drove there for nothing. There was no way I was gona get to shoot. Anyone wonder why Chinese have bought up huge amounts of firearms and taken over the local gun ranges?

This is purely demographics. There is nothing insidious going on. If you didn't realize this shooting and hunting is an expensive sport. The Lower Mainland does have a significant Asian population who have money. The last time we had a survey, the largest proportion of users still had European last names.

No it is not a private Chinese range. That's just an ignorant and ridiculous assertion.

If you spent a micro-second looking at the website you could have seen anyone can still buy a membership, regardless of race. What you may have been annoyed at and then put a racist spin on it is that we are currently members only, no drop-ins. This is because the membership had complained for years that they couldn't get a spot because of drop-ins dominating weekends. We review this decision regularly. Before COVID we restricted drop-ins to weekdays only saving the prime weekend hours for members and their guests. Once COVID hit we decided our members should benefit by their annual fees and have the space to themselves. We revisit the decision every month.

We have white range officers, we have brown range officers, and yes we have Asian range officers (Chinese, Filipino, Japanese). You probably didn't bother finding out there is diversity there. We hire those who want to work for our safety, regardless of race.

I'm sorry you have a beef with the Chinese. You won't find a range in the Lower Mainland that doesn't have an Asian face. PCDHC is a non-profit. No one is 'buying up' the club. If you wanted a membership, you get a vote just like anyone else.

Deer_Slayer
09-14-2021, 11:32 AM
Ya right. They must be putting lots of money up so you don't say anything. Communist Party Members keep their skills up. I used that range for years with no problem. It is now basically a private Chinese club. Use the race card why don't you. It is 100% fact and you know it.

silveragent
09-14-2021, 02:35 PM
You can say whatever you want with your anonymous account.

Meanwhile anyone here can go right up to the office or use the website to get a membership and disprove your nonsense and your "100% fact". Here's something I know is true. When someone says something is "100% fact" they just labeled themselves as a bull-shitter.

Deer_Slayer
09-14-2021, 03:48 PM
My account isn't anonymous. 100% fact. Touched a nerve with you eh? They are all rich and paying to keep it a private club. I drove up there for years and could sign in and shoot. Who owns the property? Every single one of them is a Chinese Communist Party member. They have been members of the CCP since the 1st day they could attend school in COMMUNIST CHINA! They are soldiers training. I'm sure your real identity is silveragent too!

Deer_Slayer
09-14-2021, 03:52 PM
What percentage of "Members" are Chinese? Nobody complained before about "non members". Nobody goes there anymore except your "members"