PDA

View Full Version : Question about White Tail habbits.

LongBowDerek
09-06-2021, 09:12 AM
Back in June when I was hunting black bear I noticed that a buck and three does where sharing a feeding/bedding area with this black bear I've been trying to ambush for a few weeks. I've since been back to the spot to try and hunt that buck i saw in the summer. I've been back a couple times this September, but haven't seen the buck, only two of the does.

My question is: Do bucks stay in the same general area all year, or do they move around during the rut?

Thanks,

Pioneerman
09-06-2021, 09:23 AM
During the rut they will try to breed as many doe as possible , they would not stay with one and continue to breed her. They will travel to where the does are

LongBowDerek
09-06-2021, 11:04 AM
Thanks Pioneerman!

I guess my follow up question to that would be: Do the does usually stay in a general area and if so, is should I just stick to this spot and wait on a buck to come to them?

It's my first year hunting deer so any info is much appointed.

Thanks,

cameron0518
09-06-2021, 11:18 AM
There are no guarantees to your question. Too many factors to even list. Check the area for fresh sign such as tracks and crap and decide from there. If you saw deer in the area, there is a good chance others will be around, possibly your desired buck as well. Good luck.

thelazygreenfox
10-17-2022, 08:38 PM
Do whiteys move to a winter ground when it cools down.
thanks
TLGF

jac
04-17-2023, 07:14 AM
I find that they move more because of the deep snow versus cool weather. A big snow storm can get them on the move

HappyJack
04-17-2023, 07:53 AM
A pack of wolves will make them move real quick. If you are looking for a buck just find the does and stay in that area, they will show up eventually.

bluesman
08-10-2023, 02:26 PM
After the rut they generally form bachelor herds if there are the numbers , stay together all summer and early fall ,then pre rut they tend to go on their own and put down scrapes. During the rut they are aggressive towards other bucks generally and they follow the Does. The mature bucks know when a doe is ready to be bred and leave them alone till then , you will see young bucks agitating doe that are not ready. Quite entertaining .

If your hunting them during the Rut go to where the does are. Early season they usually stay where good cover is and good food source. Tend to stay put till disturbed if they have both of the above. But once the pre rut starts they move around looking.
Best table fare are early season .

BearSupreme
02-02-2024, 03:51 PM
Back in June when I was hunting black bear I noticed that a buck and three does where sharing a feeding/bedding area with this black bear I've been trying to ambush for a few weeks. I've since been back to the spot to try and hunt that buck i saw in the summer. I've been back a couple times this September, but haven't seen the buck, only two of the does.

My question is: Do bucks stay in the same general area all year, or do they move around during the rut?

Thanks,

From my experience on game cameras, they seem to be by themselves until the rut. A few cameras over the last few years (in the kootenays) ive seen single whitetail bucks once per camera when I have them out from June until the end of August. Im not sure if its because they have huge areas or the move around a lot more than I thought. Around my house there are always does during the year, but I only see the bucks start showing up in October and then they are gone again by the end of December. My game cameras have been picking up the same bucks constantly during the rut, not enough to pattern their timing but its always the same deer at some point.

Im still figuring it out too but hope this adds a piece to your puzzle