PDA

View Full Version : Backpack instant coffee

264mag
09-03-2021, 09:25 AM
Who’s drinking what these days? I have always used the Starbucks via packs but they are getting old. Coffee is a huge morale boost and energy shot, especially on sheep/goat hunts etc. With all the craft coffee roasters out there you would think someone has a product in an instant packet.

What have you found?

swampthing
09-03-2021, 09:44 AM
My go to is the nescafe single servings complete with cream n sugar

FlyingHigh
09-03-2021, 09:48 AM
Black Rifle Coffee makes an instant coffee which is pretty good.

todbartell
09-03-2021, 09:50 AM
Morning Mountain makes a nice pour over drip that attaches to the top of a cup. Local BC company too

https://www.morningmountaincoffee.com/

grantk
09-03-2021, 09:55 AM
I don't know that there's much "better" options out there other than some ridiculously priced niche instant coffees. I enjoy G7 Instant Espresso (not the 3-in-1 coffee) packs at less than half the cost of Starbucks Via, but they seem to be only available at Asian grocery stores. I'm typically what some would call a coffee snob, but when it comes to backpacking my only requirements are hot, tastes something like coffee, and has caffeine. G7 Espresso fits the bill and costs about $0.30 each, Nescafe Gold Espresso is decent and much cheaper, but doesn't come in packets.

grantk
09-03-2021, 10:00 AM
If you don't mind packing a bit extra weight and bulk, buy an Aeropress Go and bring your own ground coffee.

adriaticum
09-03-2021, 10:04 AM
I stick with what works.
Starbucks Via

Danny_29
09-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Nescafe sweet and creamy. Big fan.

Alpine Hunter
09-03-2021, 10:30 AM
Depending on the length of your trip and if your really counting ounces, Melitta makes a small plastic pour- over filter holder. A dozen filters and the piece of plastic weighs nothing. You only need a couple table spoons of your favourite coffee for each cup. I bought mine at Walmart for about $7.

RackStar
09-03-2021, 10:51 AM
Anyone else get headaches from Starbucks via packs?

264mag
09-03-2021, 11:10 AM
I got headaches on my sheep hunt, that’s why I was surveying.

RackStar
09-03-2021, 11:17 AM
Following this one. I’m a coffee addict , but both my wife and I both get headaches from that stuff. Didn’t realize it was the coffee ,always thought it was elevation change.

BimmerBob
09-03-2021, 11:22 AM
i go with the guys that earlier mentioned Nescafe Instant coffee, I normally use a manual espresso maker but to save weight the Nescafe instant coffees' are reasonably priced and they taste like real coffee (for those even more budget conscious Walmart Branded are pretty good as well). If you need creamer and sugar mixed in you can experiment at home until you get the perfect combination for yourself and then throw makings into a heavy duty ziplock (not the sandwich ones) in the quantity you need for your trip and you should be ready to roll.

To be completely transparent, I gave up on all things Starbucks when they became "woke" and started pushing the BLM agenda, I will never darken their door or buy something with their brand ever again.

adriaticum
09-03-2021, 11:30 AM
I get headaches the next day if I don't drink coffee.
Maybe, if you are getting headaches is because you haven't had enough coffee.

decker9
09-03-2021, 11:46 AM
I dig the Starbucks singles. I empty them into a small ziplock, saves a bit of room and garbage.

Timmy’s instant isn’t to bad too, but not as much bite as the Starbucks.

Bustercluck
09-03-2021, 11:59 AM
If you don't mind packing a bit extra weight and bulk, buy an Aeropress Go and bring your own ground coffee.
X2 for the t the aeropress go. Some fresh ground balanced espresso blend. Grind it slightly coarser than espresso. One scoop, add some water and press out a mini espresso shot and add some water for a pretty damn good Americano. Hands down the best coffee you’ll ever have in the mountains.

If you want to go one up, add a fellow prismo attachment to your aeropress. It just has a little valve and a screen. Makes it easier to brew and you don’t need a paper filter

huntcoop
09-03-2021, 12:04 PM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0050/5466/0678/products/nestle-nescafe-sweet-creamy-french-vanilla-sachets-18-x-22-g-398253_grande.jpg?v=1611511833
These are frigging delicious.

wildcatter
09-03-2021, 12:12 PM
I have been roasting my own coffee for over 20 years and use an espresso machine at home, but when out hunting I take Nescafe, it's quick and easy.

REMINGTON JIM
09-03-2021, 12:27 PM
Anyone else get headaches from Starbucks via packs?
Only if I mix too much BAILEYS
In and drink TOO many coffees
:):wink: RJ

huntcoop
09-03-2021, 12:38 PM
I have been roasting my own coffee for over 20 years....

Do tell more, that sounds awesome.

BimmerBob
09-03-2021, 12:52 PM
I have been roasting my own coffee for over 20 years and use an espresso machine at home, but when out hunting I take Nescafe, it's quick and easy.

and here I thought I was the only one doing that... What kind of a roaster are you using? Where are you buying your beans?

Bustercluck
09-03-2021, 01:06 PM
and here I thought I was the only one doing that... What kind of a roaster are you using? Where are you buying your beans?
Toper tkmsx5, I have an aillio bullet too…

BimmerBob
09-03-2021, 01:46 PM
Toper tkmsx5, I have an aillio bullet too…

Sweet, I got a Hottop KN-8828B Coffee Roaster, only a few ounces at a time compared with yours but it is only for my use. I have been buying my beans from Sweet Maria's in California. Can't seem to find reasonable prices for green beans in Canada but maybe not looking in the right places?

Bustercluck
09-03-2021, 01:52 PM
Sweet, I got a Hottop KN-8828B Coffee Roaster, only a few ounces at a time compared with yours but it is only for my use. I have been buying my beans from Sweet Maria's in California. Can't seem to find reasonable prices for green beans in Canada but maybe not looking in the right places?
There isn’t any reasonably priced green beans on the canadian market. By the time you buy them and roast them, you might as well have bought roasted coffee from a specialty shop.

kitnayakwa77
09-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Was owner-operator in a micro-roastery, sold my interest in early 2020. Agree with the statement above, difficult to find small consumer amounts of green beans for reasonable prices in Canada. When I was learning how to roast as a hobby I used to order from Sweet Maria's but some of their beans are as old as the hills. Had better luck ordering from Pre-Umber, based in Ponoka AB and they had better green beans than Sweet Maria's for a relatively reasonable albeit still expensive proposition. Coffee prices like everything have increased recently. If you have a local roaster you could always ask if they would be willing to sell you some green beans from their bags too?

Bustercluck
09-03-2021, 02:21 PM
What are you guys paying for green beans? And what’s the shipping/damage at the border?

BimmerBob
09-03-2021, 03:22 PM
What are you guys paying for green beans? And what’s the shipping/damage at the border?

I have not ordered for so long nothing I have is current. Their prices seem to be from 6 to 8 dollars US per pound in 1 lb lots and 20 pounds orders drop it about a $1 a pound. Shipping was not too bad and I am pretty sure it was not taxed, shipped USPS direct.

wildcatter
09-03-2021, 10:19 PM
Do tell more, that sounds awesome.

Well, if you roast your own you will have the freshest coffee and you can tailor it to yout taste AND a lot cheaper than buying roasted beanz.

wildcatter
09-03-2021, 10:44 PM

I started way back with popcorn makers, later had a couple i-Roast II and they worked pretty good, but I believe they are not in business anymore.
Currently I am using a Behmore drum roaster with good results, one day I would love to own a small old gas roaster, like a Royal #1
Yokka's Coffee in Victoria got a nicely restored old roaster, the beauty and simplicity of that machine is awesome.
My dream espresso machine is a vintage Faema E61.
I used to buy beans on ebay and had it shipped free to a mailbox in Blaine, but now cant go down, besides I moved to the Cariboo.
Shipping beans to BC is insanely expensive and prices are higher too.
I bought many times from JJ Bean on Powell St. and still buy sometime when I drive down to Vancouver.
Their prices are much higher too now.
Right now I can get some from a friend at holesale price in 100 Mile who roasts for his business and sell too.

wildcatter
09-03-2021, 10:56 PM
Was owner-operator in a micro-roastery, sold my interest in early 2020. Agree with the statement above, difficult to find small consumer amounts of green beans for reasonable prices in Canada. When I was learning how to roast as a hobby I used to order from Sweet Maria's but some of their beans are as old as the hills. Had better luck ordering from Pre-Umber, based in Ponoka AB and they had better green beans than Sweet Maria's for a relatively reasonable albeit still expensive proposition. Coffee prices like everything have increased recently. If you have a local roaster you could always ask if they would be willing to sell you some green beans from their bags too?

I have to check that place out.
Do they sell smaller amounts or only in 65lb or bigger bags?

coleman
09-04-2021, 04:12 AM
I usually use Starbucks as well. Tim Hortons has some instant out now and the dark roast isn’t too bad. Used it camping for a week this year. Might just put some into a ziploc on the next backpack trip.

DannyO
09-04-2021, 07:57 AM
I bring the Nescafé , a dirty sweet pick me up while glassing a hillside

Bustercluck
09-04-2021, 09:40 AM
I have to check that place out.
Do they sell smaller amounts or only in 65lb or bigger bags?
I could sell some beans if you guys wanted. Probably starting around $9-10/pound in ziploc bags plus shipping. Highest end beans would be up around $14/pound.

Noreasny
09-04-2021, 10:03 AM
I’ve found kuju and it’s 100 times better then instant you can buy it at cabelas and Mec I think it’s 15$ for 6 cups but I think it’s worth the price

wildcatter
09-04-2021, 01:03 PM
I could sell some beans if you guys wanted. Probably starting around $9-10/pound in ziploc bags plus shipping. Highest end beans would be up around $14/pound.

Can you give us a list of beans with prices?
Where are you located?
You can also PM me.
Thanks

Bustercluck
09-04-2021, 02:04 PM
Can you give us a list of beans with prices?
Where are you located?
You can also PM me.
Thanks
I’ll send you a pm when I get home with some prices.

wallz
09-06-2021, 05:34 PM
I have bought a few of these from amazon, and I think I saw that on a thread somewhere on here over a year ago.

Then bring my favourite fresh ground with me. Mmmmm, fresh coffee when ever I feel like it.

Learned to drink it black now, and much better flavour, and no mess with sugar and creams now.

Primula Single Serve Coffee Brewer, Red, 2-Pack (Brew Buddy)

KBC
09-06-2021, 06:00 PM
Anyone try teabags filled with ground coffee? I bought a bunch of empty teabags off Amazon but haven’t gotten around to trying it yet.

if you do teabag, how coarse of a grind and how much do you put in? I like my coffee fairly strong and black.

caddisguy
09-06-2021, 06:18 PM
Nescafe instant coffee is does the job on the cheap, Starburcks Via if we're feeling extra ritzy. Guessing this answer doesn't help much if you're sick of the Via.

I'm not picky. I'll swallow the powder or drink redbull if I have to.

Do you have a portable stove like a pocket rocket? A small canister of fuel, pocket rocket and a french press doesn't take up a ton of room in the pack. Alpine guys do it. And it could be a nice distraction after hours of glassing or still hunting... many bucks been shot by hunters in the middle of brewing up a cup too.

Squamch
09-07-2021, 05:57 AM
Via, Timmy's instant, and/or Nescafe French vanilla.

Astepanuk
09-08-2021, 06:14 AM
On my Last Mountain hunt we packed "Nescafe' Sweet & Creamy" it did the job along side 2 packs of Quaker instant Oatmeal.