PDA

View Full Version : Found a ground blind- etiquette question

andrew5
09-01-2021, 08:00 PM
Hi all,

So I have spent way too many areas e scouting the area I will be hunting in this year and for years to come. I hiked in and checked out a spot today. I found a rudimentary ground blind on a slope overlooking a travel corridor. Crown land. On the plus side, it confirms my e scouting, but here is the question:

if you find a ground blind during hunting season on crown land, is it fair game when vacant, or best to keep moving?

HarryToolips
09-01-2021, 08:03 PM
On crown land, fair game....that being said, if an individual was to be hunting the area and informed me that they built it, I would gladly move on...

Wentrot
09-01-2021, 08:16 PM
I’d move on. Plenty of ground out there.

adriaticum
09-01-2021, 08:37 PM
Move on, yes

180grainer
09-01-2021, 08:50 PM
If it's on Crown land it becomes first come first served. That's how I'd look at it if it was me that built it.

srthomas75
09-01-2021, 10:17 PM
fair game for whoever got there first. I've been in 20 year old tree stands. And also have built some that I haven't been near in 20 or so years. I don't know if they are still there? If you find something on public land then it becomes available for the public to use. Brand new fresh might mean a different thing. If the builder shows up and says " hey, I just made this do you mind me having it back" then that becomes a courtesy respect thing.

Redthies
09-01-2021, 10:36 PM
I agree with the majority. If you find it on crown land, it’s fair game, but if someone shows up and claims they spent hours building it recently, I’d likely let them have it. If I built something and found someone else in/on it, I’d just move on for that day, and get up earlier tomorrow!

horseman2
09-01-2021, 10:37 PM
Two guys built a blind that has about 10 feet of elevation on private land with the owner's permission.
When asked why he wasn't;t using his blinds "every time we go there it is occupied".
I used it once and got a buck.

Redthies
09-01-2021, 10:39 PM
If the private land blind is occupied, the occupiers better damn well have permission to be on that land!

j270wsm
09-02-2021, 09:32 AM
Some guys get pissed if you use the blind they built on crown land.

Few yrs ago a fellow hbc member found a ground blind over looking a cut block and decided to sit in it for a while. After sitting for a while he hears something behind him, when he turns around there is 2 or 3 hunters. One of them starts to lose his shit, yelling at him and asking him where his truck was…..etc.

caddisguy
09-02-2021, 10:07 AM
Hi all,

So I have spent way too many areas e scouting the area I will be hunting in this year and for years to come. I hiked in and checked out a spot today. I found a rudimentary ground blind on a slope overlooking a travel corridor. Crown land. On the plus side, it confirms my e scouting, but here is the question:

if you find a ground blind during hunting season on crown land, is it fair game when vacant, or best to keep moving?

LOL that sounds like one of my blinds. What do you mean by rudimentary? Is it made of natural material, or is it an Ameristep Dog House popup blind? And close enough to a creek that you can hear the water?

If it does turn out to be mine, you are welcome to use it.

I personally would not use someone elses blind, but I would not be upset if someone used mine, as long as they leave it how they found it.

BRvalley
09-02-2021, 10:14 AM
a pop up blind or a manufactured stand I would always leave alone, would never use it....most guys leave these up all season

a permanent/semi permanent naturally built blind, or somebody dragged in lumber, on crown land I would cautiously use if I discovered it in an area I scouted and wanted to hunt....it is usually easy to tell if it has recent activity, boot tracks, shooting lanes cleared, usually a chair left at the blind/foam cushion on the stand (that's what I do anyways)

one of my little honey holes is like this, somebody built up a half decent setup, I discovered it 9 years ago and it was already a few years old at that time.....seems to be 1-2 other guys also like this spot, some years I'm completely alone, some years there is company, whoever "claims" this blind first for the season gets it, we all seem to mutually respect that.....there was only one year with some theft in the bush/vehicle break in (not mine at least) but aside from that it's been pretty good, occasionally you recognize a pickup that you only see in the area late season, a quick wave as we pass each other and that's it

it seems this mutual common decency is pretty rare, so I don't leave anything in the bush that I wouldn't cry about losing, I buy cheap blinds, cheap/used stands, my expensive cams come out pretty quick after season, my cheap cams I'll run year round

Sitkaspruce
09-02-2021, 08:13 PM
I hunt old blinds set up over a cut blocks, crossings or licks all the time. If on crown land and there is no evidence of recent use, I have no issue using it. If there is recent use; fresh tracks, snow cleaned off, fresh wood added etc. I leaver them alone. If I create one, I leave a note saying help yourself, just leave it as you found it.

There is lots of old blinds around and most have been forgotten.

Cheers

SS

MRP
09-02-2021, 09:19 PM
I hunt stands I find, if the builders in of them show up I would leave. But so far no one has.

Redthies
09-02-2021, 10:13 PM
I hunt out of one stand on a busy travel corridor. I’ve not shot anything there yet, but the thing is not new, and I’ve used it a couple of years in a row. Seems 9/10 people in this area just road hunt. Because of the traffic, I just park my truck about 200 yards from the travel path as I doubt vehicles bother deer much in this spot. Bonus is I can see it from the blind, so if any of the “less civilized folk” decide to check out my stuff, I can easily have a rifle “malfunction” and I’m sure they will be on their way. (We did have a friends truck break down and have to leave it at this spot a few years back, and he had an ATM in the back under a tarp. It was still there when we went back for the truck the next day).

Squamch
09-02-2021, 10:25 PM
I hunt out of one stand on a busy travel corridor. I’ve not shot anything there yet, but the thing is not new, and I’ve used it a couple of years in a row. Seems 9/10 people in this area just road hunt. Because of the traffic, I just park my truck about 200 yards from the travel path as I doubt vehicles bother deer much in this spot. Bonus is I can see it from the blind, so if any of the “less civilized folk” decide to check out my stuff, I can easily have a rifle “malfunction” and I’m sure they will be on their way. (We did have a friends truck break down and have to leave it at this spot a few years back, and he had an ATM in the back under a tarp. It was still there when we went back for the truck the next day).

I've had a lot of different things in the back of my truck. Some of them could even have seemed sketchy. But I'll tell ya, if I saw a guy with an ATM in the back of his truck all tarped up...I'm just gonna assume his sketchy factor is an 11 out of 10.

So how does a guy end up with an ATM in the back of his truck?