PDA

View Full Version : Camping spot advice in Tumbler Ridge area please

alpinedust
09-01-2021, 12:20 PM
Going to be heading through the region and thought we'd take the route from Chetwynd through Tumbler Ridge and south from Tumbler to check out some of the area. Looking for a spot to camp out along the way for a night. Had a few suggestions to look into, it's tough to choose a spot searching google. Any spots you guys have been to that you'd recommend? PM's welcome.
Also if there's any suggestions on stops along the way to check out, that's appreciated.

RyoTHC
09-01-2021, 01:23 PM
I’m all ears as well, we are heading up on the 9th to Tumbler as well. Beautiful country I can’t wait to explore ! Get some relaxing fishing in even.

jonz
09-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Nice waterfall and a cool area at Monkman Provincial Park.

Norwestalta
09-01-2021, 04:23 PM
Lots of places to camp along the heritage and different lease roads along the heritage hwy. Be advised that some of these roads get pretty slimy with a little rain. Gwilliam lake, kinueso falls, stoney lake are some of the campgrounds. Theres a nice campground along the red willow river. Then theres Blackhawks lake and boot or foot lake as well. These are off the heritage hwy a ways. I've found a couple spots along the kiskatenaw (cutbank) river that would make great camping spots but I didn't gps them unfortunately.

Made a mistake on moberly lake. Meant to say gwilliam lake. Please excuse the spelling.

HappyJack
09-01-2021, 07:15 PM
Going in from Chetwynd side you can stay at Gwillum lake [pike in there] or Moose Lake closer to Tumbler, as someone else mentioned beware of wet roads up there they turn into grease and when real dry you can find 8 inches of dust on them.

Sitkaspruce
09-01-2021, 08:06 PM
No matter where you go, it will be busy, especially the rec sites. Hunting season and the open moose, elk and WT deer attract a lot of hunters. There is already lots up here.

Expect to be looking for a bit. Gwillam will be closed after the long weekend; a stupid decision that all the Gov campsite up here close after the LW. Look for a space for a rec site in the area you are interested in or look for a gravel pit or dead end road.

Beautiful country back there and a lots to explore!

Good Luck!

Cheers

SS

alpinedust
09-03-2021, 12:28 AM
Thanks everyone!

Ride Red
09-03-2021, 05:30 AM
I’d suggest the boat launch at the Murray, but long weekends are busy just like everywhere else.

FlyingHigh
09-03-2021, 08:44 AM
Lots of places to camp along the heritage and different lease roads along the heritage hwy. Be advised that some of these roads get pretty slimy with a little rain. Gwilliam lake, kinueso falls, stoney lake are some of the campgrounds. Theres a nice campground along the red willow river. Then theres Blackhawks lake and boot or foot lake as well. These are off the heritage hwy a ways. I've found a couple spots along the kiskatenaw (cutbank) river that would make great camping spots but I didn't gps them unfortunately.

Made a mistake on moberly lake. Meant to say gwilliam lake. Please excuse the spelling.

I've kicked around that area quite a bit but have never heard of Blackhawk Lake. Not sure how I missed it. How is the fishing there?

Norwestalta
09-03-2021, 09:06 AM
I've kicked around that area quite a bit but have never heard of Blackhawk Lake. Not sure how I missed it. How is the fishing there?

Never fished it. Worked around there and sunday touring. Might be known as a different name to but if I remember correctly you can get to it off the noel road.

NinVic
09-04-2021, 11:18 AM
Stoney Lake FSR camp site about 40 km or so south of Tumbler ridge is nice spot.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
09-04-2021, 05:04 PM
would love to check out the area ..