PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a gambrel to Garage ceiling?

guywitha270
08-31-2021, 03:10 PM
Hey everyone. Just wondering if any of you have done this and how you did it. I am thinking of just attaching a heavy duty S hook to the piece of metal that my garage door opener is mounted to. It is attached to the above joists with a lag bolt on each end. I’m assuming that would be enough to lift a deer with my gambrel. My ceiling is 10’ tall. Thoughts?

whitlers
08-31-2021, 03:18 PM
I personally wouldn't trust the motor bracket. Would be better off to drive a new hook or lag your own bracket into a joist and add a pulley.

guywitha270
08-31-2021, 03:37 PM
I personally wouldn't trust the motor bracket. Would be better off to drive a new hook or lag your own bracket into a joist and add a pulley.

Ok thanks for the advice. Maybe I’ll just lag a length of unistrut onto the joist.

Linksman313
08-31-2021, 03:39 PM
We have used the same engine puller bracket with 4 lag bolts screwed into ceiling joists in the shop (12ft ceiling), attached a snatch block to this and use the quad to lift up the heavy game (2 elk, countless deer) with no issue.

srthomas75
08-31-2021, 03:42 PM
you could use the existing metal bracket but I'd add a few more screws/lags for piece of mind.

Planer99
08-31-2021, 03:44 PM
Even better....if you get in the attic above the garage, lay a 8 foot 4x4 or a piece of 2x2 steel across several joists then put a eye bolt up though the ceiling to it. Should be plenty enough for a deer.

guywitha270
08-31-2021, 04:00 PM
Even better....if you get in the attic above the garage, lay a 8 foot 4x4 or a piece of 2x2 steel across several joists then put a eye bolt up though the ceiling to it. Should be plenty enough for a deer.

Can’t do that. Our bedroom is directly above the garage.

guywitha270
08-31-2021, 04:01 PM
you could use the existing metal bracket but I'd add a few more screws/lags for piece of mind.

No more room for extra bolts. The existing ones are already in the middle of the joists.

srupp
08-31-2021, 04:20 PM
Hmm I put a 10 inch x 10 inch beam on each side of our garage then placed a 3rd 10 x10 beam on the top spanning the 14 feet width. 4 metal plates keep the top beam from sliding or twisting in the middle is a gRade 8 11/2 inch bolt that holds a 1 1/2 ton chain hoist..both side beams are lagged I to each garage wall.
Many times 2 moose are being hung..never a issue..for 31 years.
Better to be over engineered and over built than failure.
Cheers
Steven

whitlers
08-31-2021, 04:57 PM
Ok thanks for the advice. Maybe I’ll just lag a length of unistrut onto the joist.

Are you a sparky? Lol sounds like something a sparky would do. That would work for sure.

MRP
08-31-2021, 05:03 PM
Sliding barn door hardware work great to make a rolling ceiling hoist.

MOOSE MILK
08-31-2021, 09:06 PM
I ran a coarse thread eye bolt into the joist and lift my ATV with the winch up to get under, can lift the front up a good four feet with no problems.

walks with deer
08-31-2021, 09:36 PM
I would leg into 3-4 joists with two legs a joist then mount to that..

My houses have always had the attic option and to reinforce and on new shop builds we reinforced to allow for it from day 1.
Early season if more than half hour from home i skin them where they drop by putting a chain between two trees..this will reduce weight and pulling on your joist and hardware as its done dead weight hanging is minor pulling a cold hide off can be a lot of force.

Redthies
08-31-2021, 10:33 PM
80 year old Sicilian whose garage I cleaned up two blacktail in last year threw a piece of 3/8” yellow poly rope over a manky 2x4 on flat laid across his open attic hatch and tied hind leg tendons. Dressed them out with a hatchet. Best tasting venison I’ve ever eaten. Don’t over think it!

Gun Dog
09-01-2021, 08:59 AM
According to the 'net (and the American Wood Council) the pullout force for a 5/16" lag screw is around 200-300# depending on the type of wood. Also if you're hoisting something through a pulley the force on the bolt (or eye) is doubled. For example, if you're lifting 100# through a pulley using the winch on your ATV then the winch side is also pulling down with 100#. That's 200# on the bolt in the ceiling.

If it was me, I'd run a 2x6 across two joists with 2 bolts into each joist. On the 2x6 I'd use two solid eye-bolts with a fender washer and bolt on the back. I always drill screw holes to reduce splitting. Why 2 eyes? One for the pulley and one for the hook on the gambrel.

elimsprint
09-01-2021, 10:10 AM

Is your house old enough to have solid wood joists or was it built with manufactured I joists? If solid wood 2x10's a 7/16-1/2" screw hook will work fine but if they are I joists just remember that you will be screwing into a finger jointed 2x3 or 2x4 that does not have a lot of holding power so I would then screw a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 across 4 or 5 joists with 3 or 4 #10 or #12 x 4" screws or 1/4"-3/8" lag bolts per joist to spread the load. I did QC for a joist company for a few years and those things rely on spreading the load to work properly. Also be sure to pre drill your fastener holes so the wood doesn't split.

Linksman313
09-01-2021, 01:35 PM
80 year old Sicilian whose garage I cleaned up two blacktail in last year threw a piece of 3/8” yellow poly rope over a manky 2x4 on flat laid across his open attic hatch and tied hind leg tendons. Dressed them out with a hatchet. Best tasting venison I’ve ever eaten. Don’t over think it!

Aha! exactly lol,
Plus haven't seen a WT deer (out of town) in years that would stress a 2x4.

Redthies
09-01-2021, 10:45 PM
Is your house old enough to have solid wood joists or was it built with manufactured I joists? If solid wood 2x10's a 7/16-1/2" screw hook will work fine but if they are I joists just remember that you will be screwing into a finger jointed 2x3 or 2x4 that does not have a lot of holding power so I would then screw a piece of 2x6 or 2x8 across 4 or 5 joists with 3 or 4 #10 or #12 x 4" screws or 1/4"-3/8" lag bolts per joist to spread the load. I did QC for a joist company for a few years and those things rely on spreading the load to work properly. Also be sure to pre drill your fastener holes so the wood doesn't split.

Good point. TJI joists (wooden I beams) are NOT engineered to hang ANYTHING from. They are designed for loads from above only. If you’re hanging theaverage gutted deer, you’ll likely be ok, but you would be better off doing a 4’ wide double 2x4 on edge with studs under each end and hang from that. Run a couple of long tech screws into the TJI to keep the “contraption” from falling over.

guywitha270
09-02-2021, 11:14 AM

Yea, they are I joists. I will heed your advice and spread the load. Thanks!

j270wsm
09-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Personally wouldn’t use a #10-12 screw, I would drill a pilot hole and use 2.5” #8 screws. The bottom of an I beam isn’t very wide/thick and unless you drill straight up into the osb you could split the bottom part of the beam when using large diameter screws.

Hugh Mann
09-02-2021, 02:18 PM
All I did was tie a sturdy rope around one of the joists, 2-3 separate loops. Pullys hang from the rope, gambrel on the pully. Works like a charm, though I haven’t hung anything larger than a large bear.

elimsprint
09-02-2021, 02:37 PM
Personally wouldn’t use a #10-12 screw, I would drill a pilot hole and use 2.5” #8 screws. The bottom of an I beam isn’t very wide/thick and unless you drill straight up into the osb you could split the bottom part of the beam when using large diameter screws.
Ummmm, a 2.5 " screw is not going to do it. He has to go through the 1.5" of his 2x8 or 10 plus 1/2" of drywall if the garage is finished inside so 2" gone there leaving a whole 1/2" in the joist. Not much holding power in 1/2" IMHO. I'll stick by my 3.5" to 4" 10's or 12's with predrilled holes.