PDA

View Full Version : Tall reg 8 mulie down

WoodOx
11-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Well, I couldnt resist. I set a goal for myself at the beginning of the year to kill a minimum 170 mule deer buck, but as the season draws to a close, I decided to head out yesterday.

It was about 3pm and I was stuck in heavy Kelowna bridge traffic. I was on my way to a little spot that I hunt with bow and shotgun, as its within city limits. I shot and missed 5 4pts last year with my bow, so I decided due to time limits (season close in 2 days) I would take the shotty.

I was hoping to get a couple hour hunt in, but the traffic was holding me up pretty badly. Before I knew it it was 3:45 by the time I got into my spot. Only just over an hour to hunt...

I posted some pics and mentioned some bucks from off this property earlier inthe year, but due to the nature of the property it acts as a corridor from a couple different mountains. I almost never see the same buck twice as they travel extensively from Kelowna to Vernon sort of direction.

So I get into the area and its just pissing rain with pea soup fog, restricting my vision to only a couple hundred yards. Not a huge disadvantage I think, as its fairly small area that is mostly wooded.

I get to the natural clearing that I want to slowly hunt and park my truck. Start glassing and immediatly pick up rut activity. Off to the left there is a wide three point running what looked like a fawn doe. Another doe in my middle vision and a small two point bedded to my far left. Not bad I think, so I keep glassing before I start hiking.

As my vision returns to the doe in the middle, I notice her acting somewhat uncomfortable. Shes standing there looking in my direction, but not at me. I watch her for a moment, and suddenly pick up a moving tree in the bottom left hand corner of my binos. Wait, thats not a tree, its a bedded buck :roll:

Anyways, I watch him but for some bloody reason he just will not turn his head towards me. Hes way too busy smelling the air and being comfortable, bedded next to this hot doe. I watch him for about 5 minutes and only seeing his side angle view, decide hes got decent forks, and its getting close to the end of the season, so lets persue him...

Got out of my truck to immediatly get wet. The rain is coming down hard now, but its good as its real quiet walking. Ive only got a comfortable range to 30 yards so it better damn well be quiet!

After much fussing through some long grasses and moving slowly as to not spook the hot doe I was about 30 yards looking sort of down on the buck. I only had a neck shot which is less than ideal with any firearm, never mind buckshot. I bleated a couple times and on the last bleat he looked somewhat in my direction but gave that nervous head jerk, like he just realized whats goin on. One shot in the neck put him down, he slowly rested his head almost as if he fell asleep.

After quickly loading him I rushed back into town to make my evening class. Damn university.

Anyways, after a decent short hunt I was done skinning him out by about 1am. He scores 165. Now for my region 3 tag, and Alberta/sask hunt!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0619.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0639.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0633.jpg

WoodOx
11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry for the tongue!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/IMG_0630.jpg

Fisher-Dude
11-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Awesome buck Andrew! Congrats for battling thru the bridge and the weather and getting a dandy buck!

Tikka7mm
11-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, not quite 170 but I wouldn't be complaining. That's a dandy...congrats.

greybark
11-09-2007, 12:48 PM
:redface: Hey Andrew , You launched five arrows at deer without a harvest !!! . For five misses at Bucks in one year something is quite wrong . Shit does happen but five times at large bucks in one year is a lot of shit !!!This is ment to be constructive , Do you have any ideas why ?
Nice Buck !!!!!

Sharkey
11-09-2007, 12:58 PM
That's one tall drink of water for sure! Nice buck!
~D

pitdog
11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Nice going, good looking rack.

Dirty
11-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Beautiful buck! That is nothing to be ashamed of, hell I would be hung over right about now if I shot a buck like that. Congrats from one university student to another!:D

BlacktailStalker
11-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Well done !

jjensen20
11-09-2007, 02:03 PM
what a dink, an absolute waste of a tag you should be ashamed of yourself :wink:

tufferthandug
11-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Nice work.

There's nothing that beats smelling like a rutty mule deer in class. Drives the brawds nuts...

mtnmannbc
11-09-2007, 02:33 PM
good job, dandy buck

Krico
11-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Good job on a great buck! Well done!

BCrams
11-09-2007, 04:10 PM
And here I thought you were a man of your word. Tsk tsk tsk :)

Stone Sheep Steve
11-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Great buck AG! 8)

I take it that he was a Reg 11 buck??:wink::roll:

SSS

newhunterette
11-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Congratulations on ur buck - :)

BCJunior
11-09-2007, 04:32 PM
thats a quality buck ya got there! good job

WoodOx
11-09-2007, 04:40 PM
And here I thought you were a man of your word. Tsk tsk tsk :)

5 inches isnt that much, is it? :biggrin:

Steeleco
11-09-2007, 05:20 PM
Great pictures, I especially like the first one.

Untouchable
11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Great buck buddy, way to start er off...
cant wait to see pics of the other monsters you're gonna hammer this year!

Will
11-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Ask the Ladies............? :lol:

Great looking Buck..looks really even ! Well done:cool:

BCrams
11-09-2007, 06:08 PM

It certainly is !! 5 whole inches!! You got a little dink there .... (pardon the pun lol)

You say 170 ... you had better shoot 170 or have tag soup. Those final two days may have given you a 180 plus buck. Committment and persevere and be willing to have tag soup :biggrin: I won't let you live it down.

So - what are your goals for Alberta / Saskatchewan and Region 3 8-)

Stone Sheep Steve
11-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm sure glad I don't put numbers on my goals. You're one tough cookie, Rams:wink:.

SSS

WoodOx
11-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks guys, was an interesting hunt.

Ask the Ladies............?

Great looking Buck..looks really even ! Well done

When youve got as much as I do to work with, 5 inches dont matter :wink:

It certainly is !! 5 whole inches!! You got a little dink there .... (pardon the pun lol)

You say 170 ... you had better shoot 170 or have tag soup. Those final two days may have given you a 180 plus buck. Committment and persevere and be willing to have tag soup I won't let you live it down.

So - what are your goals for Alberta / Saskatchewan and Region 3 8-)

Might have had a chance at a cranker yet, cept that I cant hunt today tomorrow so unless he was off the highway...

Alberta muley tag = 180 or tag soup (dont need all these 160 class horns... if hes NT like last year though, might be hard to judge...)

Alberta/Sask whitetail = 150 +, though I may kill one on one tag for a meat deer.

Whatre your minimums, BCR? :shock::wink:

BCLongshot
11-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Very nice !

cbearw
11-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Yes thats a very nice muley! Congrats! Great that you persisted and overcame that crazy bridge traffic and damp weather. Sounds like an awesome spot to hunt. Hoping to find a similer spot eventually fairly close to home for muleys. The whitetail hunting is crazy good however so I can't really complain. :smile:

hunter1947
11-09-2007, 08:00 PM
Well done ,very nice looking antlers ,way to go ,http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

BCrams
11-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Alberta muley tag = 180 or tag soup (dont need all these 160 class horns... if hes NT like last year though, might be hard to judge...)

Alberta/Sask whitetail = 150 +, though I may kill one on one tag for a meat deer.

Whatre your minimums, BCR? :shock::wink:

I'll hold you to that 180 and the 150 whitey ... the meat deer had better be a doe ... no excuses:biggrin:

I have no minimums this year like in years previous. Just to enjoy the hunt and see what happens.

browningboy
11-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Nice job and good story, always nice to tag out but really like the rack as its nice looking, congrats.

WoodOx
11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Yeah thanks guys, im happy with him. Going to go a nice european heat mount with him and put em next to a dinky 140 I did myself in euro style.

You can hold me to those scores Mr Rams - as long as I dont misjudge one :D

Well see what hapens with that meat deer, I dont know if were allowed to shoot does?

BCrams
11-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah thanks guys, im happy with him. Going to go a nice european heat mount with him and put em next to a dinky 140 I did myself in euro style.

You can hold me to those scores Mr Rams - as long as I dont misjudge one :D

Well see what hapens with that meat deer, I dont know if were allowed to shoot does?

You're going to misjudge a buck? :eek:

Better get up to speed on knowing your hunting regs. You are allowed to shoot either: a buck OR a doe in Saskatchewan. :cool:

WoodOx
11-10-2007, 01:04 PM
You're going to misjudge a buck? :eek:

Better get up to speed on knowing your hunting regs. You are allowed to shoot either: a buck OR a doe in Saskatchewan. :cool:

Ive never been interested in a doe, so ive never bothered to be interested 8)

lapadat
11-10-2007, 05:34 PM
That's a sweet buck - I love it when the over-looked areas produce nice bucks.

rocksteady
11-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Congrats...Thats a nice one....

Garret
11-10-2007, 05:56 PM
nice buck buddy nice when it all works out in the end of the season...Definitly jelious I wanted to hunt this wknd but been to busy with school and work.

Hilgy
11-10-2007, 08:34 PM
you can shoot Two does AND a buck in AB depending on where you are going to hunt.

mark
11-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice buck Andrew, you beat me this year for the reg. 8 tag anyways! I too will be beating on reg. 3 mulies and Sask whities!

Caveman
11-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Nice job, Andrew!!! Nice to see a few decent bucks starting to fall. I haven't had a chance to get serious about a buck yet but look out, I'm about to!!

WoodOx
11-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the comments guys - although like I said he fell a little short on my minimums, I wasnt going to have any last chance after that evening.

Congrats to your buck mark: where are you going in Sask? Have a good time, its a real fun experience! Gunna hit late season 3 as well?

Thanks as wel Greg - cant wait to see what you drop in reg 3!

Hilgy: I will be around Taber alberta - too far west I believe to ge the CWD tags

WoodOx
11-11-2007, 10:07 AM
nice buck buddy nice when it all works out in the end of the season...Definitly jelious I wanted to hunt this wknd but been to busy with school and work.

Stop spending so much time on webct and get er done :wink:

Will you try reg 3 yet?