PDA

View Full Version : boats on moose hunt: canoe vs zodiac

tripleseven
08-29-2021, 06:54 PM
Hi all,

Question regarding boats on a moose hunt. We have an early draw moose hunt. We have two options, my 11 ft inflatable with 15 hp prop outboard, or my partners high end canoe.

The area has a bunch of small/medium lakes, and small/medium streams. Both the boat/engine and canoe present different transport problems. I don't have a rack of any sort, and will be hauling my quad in my truck, towing a trailer. Fuel will be a 3 hour drive away, so that's going to bean issue regardless.

Which option would you bring?

Thanks!

Redthies
08-29-2021, 07:22 PM
For hauling moose? Inflatable. Is it a soft floor or rib? And if you are using river/lake for transport, why the quad?

tripleseven
08-29-2021, 07:35 PM
The idea is to use canoe/boat for both hunting and transport. I wanted the quad to get into hunting spots. It seems like I would likely regret not bringing it.

I'm a pretty experienced hunter, but have not yet succeeded on a moose hunt.

Keta1969
08-29-2021, 08:24 PM
We always take a canoe. Cost us $100.00 with paddles. Took 3 years before it got used but made what would of been a crappy pack out easy. We used to debate taking it but comes along every time now.

MRP
08-29-2021, 08:30 PM
Nothing like trolling in a canoe with electric motor and hunting at the same time.

srupp
08-29-2021, 08:30 PM
Hmm always the inflatable 8 1/2 foot with 2 hp ob.
Cheers good luck straights hooting and SMILE..
most fun you can have with your clothes on
Srupp

mike31154
08-29-2021, 08:44 PM
I brought my canoe along on a 2018 Moose LEH south of Vanderhoof. We camped by a lake so I was able to go for some very nice paddles but virtually all the hunting was done on land. I made one scouting trip with the canoe where I was able to access areas that a powerboat of any kind would have no chance to get to. Motor is heard for miles, just like a quad. For our hunts we would spread out to different spots using quads & motorbike, then sit. Changed locations a number of times & took one day for a long loop ride on forestry roads with the quads/bike. We were successful late in the 1st week of a planned 2 week stay.

If the boat ends up as a method of transporting the animal, it can be quartered & easily hauled in a good size canoe. Just going to take more than one trip is all. Had we not shot the moose fairly close to a road so I could get my Taco in, it would have been same scenario, quartered animal back to camp with multiple quad trips.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4muSxfCbSTDMGhgeJW4rlpPdbLHIRnVoTcrkTETl1aWs5nUoC 8aK6bAn9OO0uCfVZX6_BKFgLt4NjueSHDro6hXOWTZgy1Veb5o ULiTUyPcKv7qHWCCv35DtJvDixvr7c69sJ3S8ytxeHbja8VNas su7RLQDwFv2xLr_HC6d8LRw3jRTJCZq3r4tYg-MfU7Psx?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

You can sneak up on shit in a canoe. This day I had the scattergun along as well & took a crack at some ducks at the far end of the lake. Missed. Caught a Rainbow with the fly rod.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mszwZKqEXCsuvWnvsalltIrSfF7agrCfeB8RUx8Tuma57pCH QaIp7_EwRyktxoiwyyWUVvLBLL7uXzq8Gxzz3M4p3M6AECiVgk rv6pzAskCWs04TCtEUonYWP6NmjyX-CsJVeyMCGptVh-QUM-PVb4jKscJ9Qui-8wQNrK1J7xgCUmtKIHfL3xeycLhHlUThm?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

Exploring up a creek feeding into the lake, I was able to easily drag the canoe over a number of small dams. Hard to beat a motor boat for covering distance fast on a large body of water though.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4msnJpxGyG5c3ZE2b7Oa4UOewVB50CsY6CUnABAFkbyDzBfrw czHg4borrW-yhmaCIGrOPA9AQrbxhLqBMQpJpXKHzxiM_f75sD64HWqhKeHeM MUJJOQbwBVEPO78oYFiDGhu9zMZojQ_MK1Dy0i_VnXLm6oqTyT fc9krP8dOz-1a0IIv1cyAzGFmUmyN7r9zW?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

This was the end of the line with the canoe. I explored further on foot. Nice hike up & over a high point to an open meadow that looked promising. But we got our moose in a totally different area.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4m2TIfGGhIsTM2W-nGKQWD0vrqhLhdeX7Y0o5dC6ccqij14GpA2sM2eIxeOLbtYH9I jRe5H6vbQJKPAyzuK7iimLzm9wJ0kjZxpaOrrWNNrK9aB2gYli mP-TSumQRkCm0MnFNlLuV1K6XEPKWXAm4alwtjypTSvdJ54lyjXOU xI9tsOXWV7fXkKJlyEzIHqyn2?width=1024&height=1024&cropmode=none

tripleseven
08-29-2021, 08:50 PM
is it ok to strap a canoe on an angle over my truck roof...(about 14 hours or highway driving each way)? it seems like a big ole wind scoop, as i dont have a rack.

tripleseven
08-29-2021, 09:57 PM
Hmm always the inflatable 8 1/2 foot with 2 hp ob.
Cheers good luck straights hooting and SMILE..
most fun you can have with your clothes on
Srupp

thank you, sir!

Redthies
08-29-2021, 10:15 PM
Put some thick foam on the back edge of the roof of your truck (put a soft rag under the foam as well if you care about your paint), and then ratchet strap it down snug. I’d ratchet the tailgate end too. You’ll be fine on the drive.

MOOSE MILK
08-30-2021, 09:06 PM
Buy a couple pool noodles and split them lengthwise so it will open up and clamp onto your gunnels. Buy the ones with a hole in the center and only split part way through so the end that looks like a O now looks like a C.
MM

Downtown
08-30-2021, 09:21 PM
Moose hunting and High end Canoes, I hope its not a problem if it gets scratched.

If I had to make a choice between Canoe and Inflatible I allwais would pick the Canoe simply because one does not have to worry a Bear bites trough the walls and you can easily hide it in the Bush.

Good Luck

Ajsawden
08-30-2021, 09:58 PM
Canoe gets my vote. We have taken a tinny and canoe on moose hunts. Canoe can go pretty much anywhere. We spent too much time fishing from the tinny we forgot to hunt moose. Canoe 2 - Tinny 0

Treed
08-30-2021, 10:44 PM
Hmmm, I like this thread and your canoe is way to beautiful to pull over beaver dams. I have to go with the canoe over the boat. They are such simple and diverse tools. Harvesting a moose using a canoe is such a quintessential North American image. Read Adam Shoalt’s books on traversing unknown rivers and the Canadian north by canoe to get an idea of what a man can do with a canoe. Or Michale Planke and the Revenant. Don’t judge a book by its movie. While your at it, read Ridgeline when you are sitting for an afternoon siesta in the Canoe. I am so looking forward to getting out hunting this year and now you have me thinking of a canoe vs boot leather trip. Or both.

mike31154
08-31-2021, 12:42 PM
is it ok to strap a canoe on an angle over my truck roof...(about 14 hours or highway driving each way)? it seems like a big ole wind scoop, as i dont have a rack.

I've seen folks transport boats & canoes that way. Makes me nervous, especially at highway speeds. Even strapped down on the bed rack as pictured in my 1st photo, I keep the highway speed below 100 kmh, usually around 90 where allowed. Many of the roads I travel have an 80 limit, I take my time & don't cheat as I would with an unloaded vehicle or my motorbikes ;-). If you can't get a proper rack in time for the hunt, I would leave it behind.

mike31154
08-31-2021, 01:11 PM
Hmmm, I like this thread and your canoe is way to beautiful to pull over beaver dams. I have to go with the canoe over the boat. They are such simple and diverse tools. I am so looking forward to getting out hunting this year and now you have me thinking of a canoe vs boot leather trip. Or both.

While I don't have the canoe along on every hunting trip, early in the season before the snow flies & lakes freeze I do make an effort to bring it. This usually on the more local trips. As far as dragging over beaver dams, done that many times. They're sticks & mud, don't think any of the scratches the canoe has accumulated over the years are from that manoeuvre. I do take care when launching/landing to avoid rocks etc, usually involves getting wet feet. I built it to use it & with the build experience I have the skills & materials to fix pretty much any faux pas including holes. Built it in 2005 & only this year applied a couple coats of fresh varnish.

I'm able to access this tree stand in about 20 minutes with the canoe early in the season. Lake is fairly high in the alpine, so it freezes over quickly come October/November. Photos from Sept 2020.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mTsGIRr7X6wueTMmIwmP1N7nkKYai6JMSvVBL1xEJ0fp5tqU xR1rqVg21Xg_zKN7mI96mcVv0E7LaFzktcCmNepSon8zhaOSw7 n1HxVNb6FaIbvUAdBl-ysKVLNxlelzocJN8pUHi5EfNYS8HyosQY495NSb50ec9bDqwpA qC64JCoWSzAqwcPEC0NADLFE6z?width=1024&height=563&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mBoHjzYhSRVQRfqp3MkC0mhHxYj0-JMERiWC6n5AbWcLHE2x5NVIXdipW3ccVbVz5TaX2eMQDbkX6uD _icGFVuyACxnxTLGqrd4_HrgOaCtsG3SrCD_J8ZVl7PAg_nqNJ 4uXiw3yU9bzgL2omhFdrCj5HjAg8B7rOwnAK2bRFaqverP_olg cJ-DPgiaJO0jzU?width=1024&height=603&cropmode=none

Same tree stand in October involves close to an hour hike carrying pack, gear etc through a couple feet of snow. There's an overgrown trail for most of it but the last few hundred meters are through heavy forest with plenty of deadfall. Lake still mostly open, but the end the creek feeds into has a sheet of thin ice. 3 moose feeding at the mouth of the creek, including a spiker. A week too early though, I was after deer.
https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4mwg1_rl7q9MZVsng25nF9ndAYY5FDJqeB-hWIgpferP3WehOKiliaNbl-XN3k0DUNMssfazv69XzrZd59RShoVYBX0OEF42esfl5XNZ0w-bo9FYKKmLdn8dHWj350t5CVgFyEzWcy1ECut0JleocB9nkKFu2 zMAIX2D1dkMy3Ntz5TLVwrtLY3bt9DHQGibfH?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none

Hellgrammite
09-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Why do moose have 4 feet?

Because 8 inches isn't enough.

Downwindtracker2
09-01-2021, 10:44 AM
The owner of Clipper Canoes is a moose hunter. He uses one of his V-sterned freighter models in Kevlar. "How else can you feel 20 years younger?"

A canoe is the greatest thing Canada has given the world. You can use them on heavy dew and when it 's dry, you can carry it. And they Pack. Down side, they take some skill.

MRP
09-01-2021, 11:25 AM
A canoe is the greatest thing Canada has given the world.

Really, Canada? To the world?

Arctic Lake
09-01-2021, 12:32 PM
I have a Clipper Tripper but I’m thinking a square stern Mackenzie would be the cats ass !
Is that the model that Marlin uses ? Wonder what length ?
Arctic Lake
The owner of Clipper Canoes is a moose hunter. He uses one of his V-sterned freighter models in Kevlar. "How else can you feel 20 years younger?"

A canoe is the greatest thing Canada has given the world. You can use them on heavy dew and when it 's dry, you can carry it. And they Pack. Down side, they take some skill.

Downwindtracker2
09-01-2021, 02:06 PM
Yes, canoes are that brilliant ! If you study boat design, you'll come to that same conclusion.

I have a Clipper Mac, and yes there is a learning curve to using a 4.5hp motor on one, chuckle.

HappyJack
09-01-2021, 07:23 PM
Hi all,

Question regarding boats on a moose hunt. We have an early draw moose hunt. We have two options, my 11 ft inflatable with 15 hp prop outboard, or my partners high end canoe.

The area has a bunch of small/medium lakes, and small/medium streams. Both the boat/engine and canoe present different transport problems. I don't have a rack of any sort, and will be hauling my quad in my truck, towing a trailer. Fuel will be a 3 hour drive away, so that's going to bean issue regardless.

Which option would you bring?

Thanks!

Buy a cheap rack from PA or even throw one together with some 2x4s, easy way to carry a canoe.

The Hermit
09-01-2021, 08:02 PM
My vote is the canoe as long as you are hunting smaller lake shores... quiet rules.

Arctic Lake
09-01-2021, 08:25 PM
Downwind what length and material is yours ?
Thanks
Arctic Lake
Yes, canoes are that brilliant ! If you study boat design, you'll come to that same conclusion.

I have a Clipper Mac, and yes there is a learning curve to using a 4.5hp motor on one, chuckle.

Downwindtracker2
09-02-2021, 08:25 AM
It's the shorter of the the two models. I've forgotten the length, it's shorter than than my 17' prospector cedar strip. All they are, is the freighter models with the end cut off. I bought that line ,"How else can you feel 20 years younger" so mine is Kevlar. Both canoes weigh in at a little over 60# He recommended grey colour," When you look at water, it seems mostly grey ." grey with black trim. My cedar strip is yellow cedar and cherry. I replaced the wood motor pad so I could raise the motor up. Some thing he also recommended. We talked about hunting the same waters, even. He had hunted there, so he knew what I was looking for.

Road hunting out of a boat is not a give me. With the high traffic of all these jet boats, game is leery of waterways . Besides the river banks have high bush making it hard to see. So they are better at getting into places and hunting on foot, even a short distance. When hunting on lakes in a canoe, wind is your enemy, canoes don't do rough water well. There is a saying, so long as you shot the moose first, you can put it in a canoe, they pack.

We used high end ,tight life jackets and 4mil? chest waders with a belt at the top to keep out water. We stayed dry, more less, even with my clumsy handling of the motor.

Arctic Lake
09-02-2021, 09:10 AM
^^^^^^ Thanks for the reply Downwind ! ^^^^^^
Arctic Lake

2tins
09-02-2021, 09:32 AM
I don't think you will regret bringing either of your boats especially if you wind up needing one. One thing I always bring on a hunt is a set of breathable chest waders and wading boots. They take up no room and if you drop a moose in the lake or creek you don't have to go in your skivvies to get a rope on it. Good luck.

SeaScene
09-02-2021, 10:01 AM
Zodiac. I am selling a brand new inflatable... good brand, tough and can handle 15 hp. Mercury Quicksilver sport 300. Too big for my sailboat. I hunted moose this way for years in Ontario... excellent to get in a bit of fishing while hunting as a bonus. Can handle a quartered moose. https://www.stevestonmarine.com/quicksilver-sport-300-3.00-meter-inflatable-boat-with-aluminum-floor

SeaScene
09-02-2021, 10:02 AM
...PS It rolls up, easy to pack in.

mike31154
09-02-2021, 10:12 AM
I have a Clipper Tripper but I’m thinking a square stern Mackenzie would be the cats ass !
Is that the model that Marlin uses ? Wonder what length ?
Arctic Lake

There are brackets available to attach a small motor to a standard canoe, doesn't have to be a square stern. Back in my teen years northeastern Alberta I had a 17' Lund aluminum with 2 HP Johnson. It would clip along nicely. Need ballast in the front in either case or the bow is too far out of the water making an already unstable boat design even more sketchy :-).

Back then electric motor selection was limited to tiny trolling motors. Nowadays I'm sure there are much more powerful options. With an electric you still have the stealth advantage! The Lund is long gone but I still have the motor bracket. Seriously considering an electric motor for the current strip canoe for when I need to cover distance toute de suite! That rarely happens these days, me in a hurry haha.

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4maTaBY6hiU_OIjKvyawp_-RTiXP2BGbAks41M8IJbCa1arDHb1r966VW5dmGv1B1SvcMNBph 21jp5wF5sW30G4qR_oSjwQfSJXWW8V2DzLSXw1bLbC7BlGaWZg PgS7LHDY4rlrzasc7vjVJ3aGOVoOBZDw5ev4pxC1noFmSKLykn mjJkBxPiCmEep1EnkMjgN?width=1024&height=528&cropmode=none

https://dm2302files.storage.live.com/y4myXR8PjyxVSEsFbDnp3iWXI7Ft4RhFcbAXS8VRbfrME8NBCV BLFy9TNdjOsWfV_-g4VViz8-pCBPJH08qgVVf7VJ5AQr8GPauG8zbtc2vIku7Ye9sZi2YGppav HoaJw1rF_OkmFVONUk20wNpRuRikJ2vaCZgo_57_xNeJ7YTTKn s9yrBDM9ffOr9UmUsoCDW?width=1024&height=560&cropmode=none

SeaScene
09-02-2021, 10:18 AM
... brings back great memories... nice pics, made my day. I hunted for years in northern Ontario just like that. Love the north of Ontario... more water than land seen from the air. Spectacular walleye fishing to boot while hunting

Arctic Lake
09-02-2021, 07:33 PM
For you guys in the know do freighter style canoes have a keel ? Would a keeled freighter be better on a lake . I know the Tripper Clipper we have does not have a keel .
Thanks
Arctic Lake

Downwindtracker2
09-02-2021, 09:17 PM
My frieghter doesn't , I wouldn't have bought it if it did. . A keel makes a canoe much harder to use in rivers.My long parted aluminum and Chestnut fiberglass had ones. lesson learned. With a motor on lakes, it runs pretty straight.

grantk
09-02-2021, 09:56 PM
Inflatable for me. The 11.8ft fold-up boat I use has a 1400lb capacity rating and can handle a 15hp outboard. Damn near impossible to tip the thing.

redthorn
09-04-2021, 08:19 AM
I'm with Grant on the inflatable. For practicality and all around usage, not the inherent romance of a hunt out of a canoe. :)

This last year we bought 2 of the Kaboat style. A 16' and a 12'. BC hasn't really gotten these yet, but they are popular in Alaska, Scandinavia, and Russia for hunting river boats. These are different than normal inflatables in that they are narrower, and have a sharp prow. High-pressure inflation and stiff as a board once inflated. They are narrow enough you can paddle like a canoe, or use a double paddle like a kayak. Very shallow draft. Flat stern so you can mount a motor. Mine is also rated for up to 15HP, but flies with an 8 HP. Folds down into a Duffle bag. Carrying capacity is huge. We've had 5 adults and 2 kids in the 16' with no problems, so I'd definitely stuff an elk in there.

Be the perfect elk and moose float boat. Still going to do that yet. But we've done a lot with them, from lake fishing, family boating, running down the Chilliwack/Vedder River for whitewater fun, and gone 4K off the northwest coast of the island to fish halibut.

This guy from Sweden made a ton of videos (https://youtu.be/sGAzpHc1HQc?t=224)with these and small jet outboards on skinny waters.

Saturn (https://saturninflatableboats.ca/16-saturn-inflatable-kaboat.html) makes these (imports and brands probably) but they are always out of stock. I bought mine from Goethe (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32848874943.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.52e0df2 7vG3Jg1&algo_pvid=67139235-fa0e-423a-aded-2ab78494b646&algo_exp_id=67139235-fa0e-423a-aded-2ab78494b646-0) direct off Aliexpress.

boxhitch
09-04-2021, 11:54 AM
redthorn , I like the looks of the gtk370 size
do you buy at wholesale?

Arctic Lake
09-04-2021, 12:19 PM
You fellas check out this YouTube channel North61 . Tell me what you think in regards to his opinions on Freighter Canoes
Arctic Lake

redthorn
09-05-2021, 09:07 PM
redthorn , I like the looks of the gtk370 size
do you buy at wholesale?
I bought mine direct through Aliexpress. I'm sure you can email the store and buy direct for a bit cheaper, but you have secure payment and shipping guarantees and such through the Aliexpress site.

Why the 370 size instead of the 387? My 2 cents, the 387 has 5 air bladders (2 on each side wall and 1 in the floor) while the 370 is marginally smaller but only has 3 bladders (1 on each side and the air floor) For the abuse we put these through on the skinny waters, I'm happier with the knowledge that I can limp home on 4 even with one punctured. You can also take out the extra seats. We hardly ever use them, preferring to sit on the side tube while motoring or paddling, or lounging across them with your back on one side and feet hanging over on the other while fishing. It's like being in a recliner all day.

SeaScene
09-06-2021, 07:09 AM
I bought mine direct through Aliexpress. I'm sure you can email the store and buy direct for a bit cheaper, but you have secure payment and shipping guarantees and such through the Aliexpress site.

Why the 370 size instead of the 387? My 2 cents, the 387 has 5 air bladders (2 on each side wall and 1 in the floor) while the 370 is marginally smaller but only has 3 bladders (1 on each side and the air floor) For the abuse we put these through on the skinny waters, I'm happier with the knowledge that I can limp home on 4 even with one punctured. You can also take out the extra seats. We hardly ever use them, preferring to sit on the side tube while motoring or paddling, or lounging across them with your back on one side and feet hanging over on the other while fishing. It's like being in a recliner all day.

For those interested I just bought a Merc Quicksilver Model 300 inflatable roll up for easy packing. It can handle a 15 hp is heavy duty and stable.It is too big for my sailboat so it is for sale. Paid all in taxes shipping etc about $1700.... one month old, used once. Will take $500 off.

boxhitch
09-06-2021, 09:10 AM

Why the 370 size instead of the 387? My 2 cents, the 387 has 5 air bladders (2 on each side wall and 1 in the floor) while the 370 is marginally smaller but only has 3 bladders (1 on each side and the air floor) For the abuse we put these through on the skinny waters, I'm happier with the knowledge that I can limp home on 4 even with one punctured. You can also take out the extra seats. We hardly ever use them, preferring to sit on the side tube while motoring or paddling, or lounging across them with your back on one side and feet hanging over on the other while fishing. It's like being in a recliner all day.I'll have to look again, saw the GTK and newer GHK370 were both 4+1. Slightly shorter/narrower and slightly lighter, with out giving up much payload were my ideas

redthorn
09-06-2021, 12:33 PM
I'll have to look again, saw the GTK and newer GHK370 were both 4+1. Slightly shorter/narrower and slightly lighter, with out giving up much payload were my ideas
I must have been looking at the wrong boat then. Glad to see we are on the same thought pattern. We find that for downstream whitewater, the length is needed and even 6" shorter would cramp up a bit. One guy on the back on the oars to steer, (Oar swing takes a lot out of the boat) and 2 others inline in front with paddles to power through. Bit of room to put supplies or a kid or two in between.

redthorn
09-08-2021, 10:19 AM
Just saw one of these Kaboat pop up on CL in Nanaimo. It's a bit shorter and one bench less than the 16' we use, but if anyone is looking for a boat last minute without the wait, you can try this one. (https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/nanaimo-2021-saturn-kaboat-15-sk470xl/7377204190.html)

Leveraction
09-11-2021, 04:29 PM
Take your truck in and get a rack put on it.
it will costs less then $500 installed, real simple real easy, most dealers have their own rack system, Toyota, Ford, chev all have racks as accessories in their parts department.
straps over the canoe side to side, tie down straps front and back and 110 kms on the highway no problem.
look at my post on here called solo moose hunt, packed all my gear and a quartered bull into a 17’ Tripper made by Clipper and paddled back to camp. Was a dream hunt.

I have never had an inflatable, and I’m sure like everything there is varying levels of quality.
I looked into one this year several times, As I was planning a fly in hunt and the float plane can’t handle a canoe, so I was told to get an inflatable, thought it over very seriously, many built in China and not certified for Canadian waters.
I did not want to get dropped off on a lake, set up camp and inflate my boat only to find it dont inflate, I’m sure getting one next spring and using it several times will develop some confidence for its use, but I also considered
canoe = paddles
inflatable= battery and electric motor or outboard motor and gas.
takes a lot to put a hole in a canoe, I’m sure some of the tougher inflatables are the same, where others would be like a floating balloon and Pop…. You are walking the shoreline now.
make sure your repair kit with enough material and glue comes along with you in the inflatable, as well as a pump for inflating if you need.
Im thinking I will get a smaller inflatable as a tow behind for a couple of moose quarters.

my choice would be canoe, but again only based on my experience, Others have had plenty of success with inflatable.
if your going on the water, wear a life jacket, make sure you have a dry bag with extra gear, rope everything off to the boat so if you tip, everything, I mean everything gets roped back up, including your rifle.
if money is not an issue, but and wear a good wet suit.

good luck

The Hermit
09-11-2021, 05:30 PM
I have a square stern freighter style canoe and its great on small lakes and meandering rivers. Its only 15 or 16ft so with two guys, day packs, chain saw and come along it will only manage one quarter and a bit so it takes four trips to get a moose out. We only use the 2hp motor to ferry quarters and it all works well. I love hunting from the water in a canoe but am considering a rigid hull inflatable and electric motor.

Watch FB Market Place for a used set of truck bed racks. I got a set of adjustable Thule racks and supplemented them with a third rack on the cab. Great set up for the canoe plusa Thule ski box for paddles, poles etc.