PDA

View Full Version : Garmin mini vs explorer

Bustercluck
08-28-2021, 02:22 PM
I know there’s a thread like this every 3 months, but I have a quick story for those trying to decide.

A friend of mine was heading out solo for 7 days last week. He got to his parking spot which had no cell service and his phone wouldn’t connect to the mini. He needed to update either the app or his phone, not sure. He headed out anyways and took a tumble roughly 15km in the backcountry and did something to his knee. He did limp out, but if something more serious happened he would’ve been screwed. Even the best case scenario he wasn’t checking in with his wife or whoever.

I know a few people have had connection issues with the bigger units, but this is just one more thing to go wrong and he has to own his part for not checking his gear before heading out. This issue and the 50 hour battery life would keep me away from the mini.

Redthies
08-28-2021, 02:42 PM
Good thing I bought a Mini a few months back!

But seriously, I will use this as an opportunity to make sure things are all updated before heading out! Correct me if I’m wrong, but are there not set messages on the Mini that you can send without your phone connected?

todbartell
08-28-2021, 02:48 PM
Yeah I always start playing around with my inReach a few days before I head out.

Bustercluck
08-28-2021, 02:57 PM
Good thing I bought a Mini a few months back!

But seriously, I will use this as an opportunity to make sure things are all updated before heading out! Correct me if I’m wrong, but are there not set messages on the Mini that you can send without your phone connected?
I’m not sure about the preset messages as I don’t own one, but I thought it had the sos button on it. I spoke with him briefly on the side of the road when I was headed in and he was headed out. I invited him to stick around for dinner and a bs, but he had to find some service to let his loved ones know he was ok.

weed782
08-28-2021, 07:44 PM
You can type and send messages on it as well. Have to scroll through to select each character but, its doable. Plus preset messages, SOS feature as well, Yes. Mine has been outstanding.
Never waited more than a few minutes to connect to satellites. Cloud cover and tent has never been an issue.

IslandWanderer
08-28-2021, 07:47 PM
I like the explorer. I'm not very good at figuring out electronics, but find it easy to use. Map feature isn't great in my opinion, but it's better than no map.

Sitkaspruce
08-28-2021, 08:32 PM
Its good practice to do an update and sync every 3 month. And do a quick check before you head out and have a computer and cell service.

Sucks to find out there is an issue when you need it.

I have the old InReach Explorer.

Cheers

SS

tracker
08-28-2021, 08:49 PM
I have the garmin mini ,it sounds like your friend never did his homework !!

Arctic Lake
08-29-2021, 10:08 AM
I think we need a sticky for all the GPS InReach related stuff . Well I do LOL !
Arctic Lake

thelongjohnson
08-29-2021, 10:47 AM
Be careful not to overcharge your mini. Had the battery bricked on mine while on a solo trip by Dease lake

todbartell
08-29-2021, 10:48 AM
this thread yesterday was a good reminder for me to sync my Garmin 66i to my phone. I had a bluetooth connection issue which I got solved in a minute. Sent a test inReach message to my wife and it worked.

Beartooth
08-29-2021, 10:49 AM
I have a Garmin in-reach and bought a plan. It uploads a breadcrumb every 5 min. to a satellite ( if it can see one ) and it has been working real well. I'm a pensioner but spend a lot of time in the woods with my doggie. My wife and daughter have access to my account and maps and they can see where I am. You can also send and receive text messages depending on the plan you have. Has been working flawlessly for over a year now. Really like it.

Blockcaver
08-30-2021, 04:37 AM
Love the yellow Garmin IR I bought 4 yrs ago. ( the big cheaper one with less map functions). But would buy the mini today. Mine is very easy on batteries. Just use it morning, noon and evening typically. It’s off the rest of the time. Could make a 10 day hunt without charging with 50% of battery left. Mini would need one charge for me thru same use. And I send about 1/2 the messages either PRE-canned or brief ones I type direct on the IR. Saves firing up the battery eating iPhone. And there was a new update for the IR when we connected two days ago. Last connected in May.

Toadhunter
09-10-2021, 01:31 PM
I have used spots in the past; they were junk. Used an inreach and no problems. I also used a zoleo the day. Worked great. Food for thought

J_T
09-13-2021, 03:05 PM
Our crew have mostly moved to the InReach Mini. Using the Earthmate app, you really don't have to type on the inReach. But if you have to, it isn't a big deal. It sure kept everyone in touch when they needed a pick up, or pack frame....

Stranger In The Woods
09-15-2021, 02:49 PM
Garmin Montana 750i, with BC backroad maps 2021. big enough screen to see the map, it even shows the hunting zones, etc, etc.
no need to conect to the phone, touch screen, can type right from the device. SOS, Pricey but you get what you pay for.

Powds
09-23-2021, 02:25 PM
The mini has preset message but definitely have to check everything before you leave

ian745
09-24-2021, 08:34 PM
I have a mini and it was tucked away in the off season, and when i went to reactivate it, it wouldn’t turn on, so check well in advance to needing it, garmin was super quick to connect on the phone and tried a bunch of stuff to get it going, nothing worked and the overnighted one to me as a replacement. , transferred the service and boom, back in business. , all in all from it not powering on the first time, to having a new one, was 4 business days

other then that issue i love it, connects to the phone if i want which makes it easy to use, most times i just use it and the preset messages on it

Lukeez88
09-24-2021, 08:54 PM
My Inreach is a few years old. A couple weeks ago I was on a fly in hunt. My Inreach worked fine the first half of the hunt. Then one day I put my Inreach in my pocket when it was at 70% battery. Pulled it out an hour later and the thing is completely dead. Tried charging it up with my goal zero flip 10 and it’s not charging at all. Screen doesn’t light up at all. Tried resetting it…. Nothing. So that sucked, but luckily my partner had an Inreach as well so we were ok for the rest the trip. So I get home, and just for snits and giggles I plug it into the wall charger, and it starts charging! So now it works but how do I ever trust this device Again??? Very frustrating. I’ve contacted garmin but haven’t heard back yet. Any one else had similar issues?

Onesock
09-24-2021, 10:08 PM
Says right inthe instructions to test before you leave home

Laurp99
09-25-2021, 07:18 AM
Yup, always, always test the device before leaving home!
Send a quick test txt message and you should be good.

I've charged my Mini last fall and still running on the same charge. I don't leave the unit powered on while out in the Backcountry until I want to use it!