PDA

View Full Version : Atlin

Buckaroo
08-27-2021, 06:51 PM
Hello there people. Been a while. I have an opportunity to head up to Atlin on short notice. A buddy (non-hunter) is going up for a two day job doing what he does and asked if I would like to come along. His initial plan was to fly up but he knows I hunt so he's extending this opportunity to me and is willing to hang out there for 10 or so days so I could scout around/hunt etc. It is short notice as I've mentioned and I have never been up in this area so what do you figure' yay or nay? He was to fly up but if I'm willing to go he's renting a truck so I could rip around and we can both check the area out for the week after his work. Need to know your secret spots for HUGE Moose, Sheep and Caribou!!!!! lol Kidding of course but any suggestions or input to point me in a direction would be awesome...

westcoaster
08-27-2021, 07:34 PM
To hell with trying to be productive...

Parachuting in to an area on a last minute lark are usually the most memorable....

Getting an animal would just the cherry on top of the cupcake so to speak.

Go, have fun and report back with what you have found!

Cat catcher
08-27-2021, 07:39 PM
Only moose is open rest is LEH. We are having a bit of rain right now and the leaves are starting to change.

boxhitch
08-28-2021, 08:33 AM
I would never say no to the chance to explore
Another option is to fly to Whitehorse with Air North and rent a p/u there, cuts travel time and costs maybe similar

.330 Dakota
08-28-2021, 09:24 AM
Hunted there for 10 days in 2017, saw many cows, and several grizzlies,,no bulls, and we covered a lot of ground on ATV's saw a caribou bull, but hey are on LEH,,apparently the place is over hunted with as many as 50 camps in Sept, we were there in late Aug, no hunters,,but the locals said they were comin,,lol not my choice for a hunting trip anymore

Cat catcher
08-28-2021, 10:49 AM
We do get up to 50 camps in sept maybe more. It gets pretty crowded. It’s a beautiful spot to live though.

nature girl
08-28-2021, 11:54 AM
Hey if I was you I would go. You may never have a chance to go again.

.330 Dakota
08-28-2021, 06:54 PM
We do get up to 50 camps in sept maybe more. It gets pretty crowded. It’s a beautiful spot to live though.

Yes I was quite surprised when the locals told me that. We went to the bar to watch the McGregor fight, and met a bunch of nice people

Buckaroo
08-29-2021, 08:10 AM
Update: Atlin's is not gonna happen at this point. Thank you for the input tho people. Sticking with my original plans to head out Sept. 9. Best of luck to you all this season!! Cheers.